Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,508 members, 7,801,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Moving Back To Naija - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Moving Back To Naija (1545 Views)

Moving Back To Nigeria / Help Moving Back To Naija / Moving Back To Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving Back To Naija by Kenny20910(m): 3:02pm On Sep 02, 2011
My people, I just wanted to get opinions (not judgement) about my plans of moving back to Nigeria.

Me and my soon-to-be-wife, have been floating this idea of moving back home. So we started making some strategic moves to enhance ourselves/packaging. First, just acquired a land in Abuja. OK. i have gone back to sch to finish my masters degree (Telecom Engr). While she is a Physician, I am a project manager in (Clinical Informatics). We both did all our studies here in the US and we both just turned 30. So here are my questions

1. Whats the job market in Telecom in Nigeria like?
2. What are the prospects of physician earning potential. (btw she is an Obstetrician) - please don't crucify us on this very question since income is very important to us.
3. We are looking at Abuja, Calabar or PH for residence, any comments?
4. If we are your brother/sister/children, what will be the best piece of advice for us?

All opinions are welcome including those who recently relocated to Nigeria. Thank you very much.
Re: Moving Back To Naija by AjanleKoko: 4:35pm On Sep 02, 2011
Kenny20910:

My people, I just wanted to get opinions (not judgement) about my plans of moving back to Nigeria.

Me and my soon-to-be-wife, have been floating this idea of moving back home. So we started making some strategic moves to enhance ourselves/packaging. First, just acquired a land in Abuja. OK. i have gone back to sch to finish my masters degree (Telecom Engr). While she is a Physician, I am a project manager in (Clinical Informatics).  We both did all our studies here in the US and we both just turned 30. So here are my questions

1.  Whats the job market in Telecom in Nigeria like?
2.  What are the prospects of physician earning potential. (btw she is an Obstetrician) - please don't crucify us   on this very question since income is very important to us.
3.  We are looking at Abuja, Calabar or PH for residence, any comments?
4.  If we are your brother/sister/children, what will be the best piece of advice for us?

All opinions are welcome including those who recently relocated to Nigeria. Thank you very much.

@OP,

1. The job market for telecom in Nigeria is like everywhere else, a little slow right now. The only thing is, experience is much more key than certificates, so I'm not too sure about the masters or its workability. You need to have some specific experience in some areas of telecom, that would help to narrow down the job market.

2. I am not too sure, but the pay seems decent nowadays. In relative terms, she might earn up to N350,000 a month or more. She probably would be better off applying to some of the private clinics. Government pays okay also. Their problem is, not too many options. In Abuja, you'd talk about National Hospital, but every doctor can't possibly work there. You can try though. Regarding your likely pay range , it is all about your experience.

3. Abuja is probably the best choice, if you strike a balance between economy and living conditions. Port Harcourt is a crazy town these days. Calabar is serene but slow, especially for you. Doctors can find work much more easily than telecom people.

4. Stay back for now, unless you have nothing to do where you are, or do not have legal work/residence status. That would be my advice.
Re: Moving Back To Naija by Kenny20910(m): 5:05pm On Sep 02, 2011
Thank you very much. For my wife, we are hoping to get a clinic started after she have worked for a few years in a Nigerian clinic. Working for the government is out of the question. As we are both legit and have been employed sor a long time now. But i get the pic in terms of Abuja vs PH vs Calabar. very much valued. Thank you very much.
Re: Moving Back To Naija by mbulela: 8:19pm On Sep 02, 2011
i see you are ruling out govt work for your wife?that is a huge mistake!
if your wife has plans of setting up solo,then govt work is the best option.
it will help her make very valuable contacts and it will help her understand how the medical system here works (as bad as it is).
another fact is that very,very few hospitals in the private sector pay as well as the public sector in the health system.
typical private hospitals pay as little as 100k and maybe 150k to a lucky few.as a senior reg in the govt hospitals she should get up to 350k.in addition to that she can still do locum in private clinics and make over 100k a month.these locums are very important not just for the money but helps you understand and evaluate the competition for future solo runs.
the fact is that private hospitals are for those who can't get into govt hospitals and you often have doctors working in two to three private hospitals at a time.
also there is no career path in private hospitals.
i assume your wife is just 30,i doubt she is a consultant (i might be wrong),so as a reg or senior reg with plans of going solo,a govt hospital will be a better bet.
within a few years (depending on her present level),she will be a consultant and going solo will make more sense.
the problem of govt hospitals is that vacancies are hugely limited,especially in down south.so you need to start making moves now.
another issue is that for telco,your options are largely limited to Lagos,so you might find a situation where she gets a place in one teaching hospital outside lagos and you get a job in lagos or even nothing.
Re: Moving Back To Naija by tpia5: 11:09pm On Sep 02, 2011
Working for the government is out of the question

i wonder why.

big mistake to limit yourself in such a manner, imo.

tune it down a notch.
Re: Moving Back To Naija by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 03, 2011
If its convenient,get jobs info before coming cos you are not interested in the west and I dare say there are more opportunities in Lagos and government than elsewhere.

(1) (Reply)

NIGER DELTA AREA Bursary And Scholarship Board / Why Would A Teacher Change To A KEKE Driver On Earth?? / Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.