Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,799 members, 7,802,562 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Increasing Video Card Memory - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Increasing Video Card Memory (5492 Views)

My Dell Laptop Battery Is Not Increasing While Charging. Pls Help / Can I Change The Video Card Of My Laptop??? / Help Guys How To Increase My Video Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Increasing Video Card Memory by Nobody: 8:10am On Aug 27, 2007
Hi guys,
am trying to increase the memory allocated for my video card.
Though my video card memory is 64MB intel onboard, but my system shows me that it is only 6Mb that is only in use, how can i increase the memory of my video card being used, and what effect will it pose if i should do that.
Re: Increasing Video Card Memory by Maleeq(m): 6:57am On Aug 29, 2007
You can do this by going into the BIOS of the system, for most boards, it is under the "Hardware Peripherals". You can increase it from there, but only to the limit specified by the VGA's specification. Meaning, you cant increase a 64MB onboard card to say 256MB.

There's really not adverse effect as such, but the only consequence would be lesser total memory for the system. If you considering the increase becos u game a lot, then get a dedicated VGA card.

Let me go through some basics about video solutions:
There is essentially 3 options:
1. Onboard graphics with shared memory (ie the video uses some of the system RAM), these are usually low end GPU's(Graphics Processing Units) and any RAM allocated to the video is not availiable to the system as RAM.
Eg: A 512MB system with onboard video using 64MB will give you 448MB system RAM.

In some cases with this type of video the BIOS will only let you allocate upto a certain amout of MEM to video (eg 32MB) but will dynamically use more free RAM as needed when running more demanding apps/games.
This solution can only be upgraded by adding a seperate video card and disabling the onboard video in BIOS.

2. Onboard video with its own seperate memory.
This is more like a seperate video card built into the motherboard but usually using a lesser GPU. These can only use the mem they are built with (eg 64MB) and can only be upgraded in the same way as soution 1 (ie replacing with distinct Video card).

3. Seperate video card plugged into a PCI/AGP/PCIe slot and having its own RAM (eg 256MB).
To upgrade you can overclock (not always a good idea) or replace with new card (best) but you can't increase the cards RAM.

Hope this helps in some way.
Cheers!
Re: Increasing Video Card Memory by Nobody: 8:27am On Aug 29, 2007
@ maleeq,

thanks man, you are the man,
i have been expecting a response since all this while, thanks again.
But the issue is that my system doesnt have an AGP slot and PCI slots,
what do you advice me to do in this case?
Re: Increasing Video Card Memory by Maleeq(m): 9:19am On Aug 29, 2007
No AGP and PCI slots? That's rather strange.

I really doubt that the system doesn't have atleast a PCI slot, but if it really does not have any, then sorry to say, but you just have to stick with the VGA card on board.

The option left is just for you to go into the BIOS and increase the memory (usually, this is done under the "Hardware Peripherals" option in the BIOS) to the maximum available - 64MB

Confirm that your board REALLY does not have these expansion slots, or can you get the system model/board model # so that I can help you get further details on it?

(1) (Reply)

Hacking For Beginners- [dummies Edition] / 27 Ways To Kick Start Laptop Repair Business Anywhere In Nigeria / Download Kaspersky Internet Security 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.