Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! (5699 Views)

Airforce Junction In Port Harcourt Flooded (Photos) / Ige Street At Iyana Ipaja Flooded After Rains / Photos: Apapa Lagos Road Flooded After Heavy Rainfall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by aloyemeka2: 10:27pm On Sep 02, 2011
[size=14pt]Pains as Lagos roads get flooded, again[/size]
Written by Olalekan Olabulo, Lagos
Friday, September 2, 2011

THERE was palpable tension and anxiety among residents of many parts of Lagos State on Thursday, following the heavy flood that greeted the rain in most parts of the state.

The fears among the residents of the state were heightened by the widespread reports that the state would witness a heavy rain and flooding.

The Thursday rain created serious traffic gridlock in many parts of the state, including the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, Lagos axis of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and Abeokuta Expressway in the state.

Residents of areas like Sogunle, Ile-Epo, Agege, Ikeja, Iyana Ipaja, Abule Egba Ijaiye and Meiran had a hectic time scooping water from their houses, during the rain that lasted for more than three hours.

Some of the roads in the state were also flooded, thereby making movement of vehicles difficult and creating serious traffic gridlock along the major roads in the state.

Residents of Ile Epo, Abule Egba and Iyana Ipaja areas were forced to stay for about an hour and watch the flood subside, before venturing out as a result of the heavy flood that completely overran the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway

Traders at Ile Epo Market also faced difficulty in moving their goods in and out of the market as the roads that led to the market were completely flooded with porters reportedly charging exorbitant fares. The Nigerian Tribune was informed by many of the residents of the state that the fear of the forecasted downpour forced them to watch and see the effect of the rain.

Some youths around Ladipo area of Oshodi took advantage of the downpour and the flood to make brisk money from pedestrians by providing a makeshift bridge over a flooded canal at Ladipo Bus Stop

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2011/sep/2/tribune/images/fp02092011[1].jpg[/img]
The flooded Ojota bridge in Lagos, after a downpour on Thursday.
Photo: Sylvester Okoruwa

Pedestrians, who wanted to cross to the GRA part of Ladipo had no choice but to pay 50 naira to the youth before being allowed to walk on the planks that served as link over the flood.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/27650-pains-as-lagos-roads-get-flooded-again
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by aloyemeka2: 11:14pm On Sep 02, 2011
Do our leaders know what is drainage system in Nigeria?. This flooding is a clear case of poor drainage.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Nobody: 1:33am On Sep 03, 2011
pathetic. i stay on the island one of the areas prone to flooding.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Fhemmmy: 2:02am On Sep 03, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Do our leaders know what is drainage system in Nigeria?. This flooding is a clear case of poor drainage.

They might you dey yab their mama and papa oh, cos that is the meaning of drainage to them
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by BigB11(m): 2:11am On Sep 03, 2011
Fashola is the best governor ever! Give me a break!
These fools will rather spend more stolen money on buying more Range Rovers to move around during raining season than fixing the roads.

Nigeria has no leader; this country is only blessed with bunch of greedy figure-heads.
F00ls leading f00lish people, what a beautiful movie.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by ajirebi20: 2:34am On Sep 03, 2011
@OP:

Are you an engineer? How did you know this is a drainage issue?
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by BigB11(m): 2:38am On Sep 03, 2011
^^^^ when was the last time you were in Lagos?
Drainage has been the 80% of the issues for over 10 yrs.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by ajirebi20: 2:41am On Sep 03, 2011
Big B1:

I grew up in Lagos, and that last chance om your moniker? yeah, I was born there.

I know the Ojota bridge very well. My question is how did the OP know from the picture?

The OP is well known on this forum and she never lived in Lagos.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by BigB11(m): 2:50am On Sep 03, 2011
Ojota bridge just happens to be one of the flooded areas in Lagos, drainage may not be the issue in this 1 area. But the last time I checked, drainage is still the main issue in most areas in LAGOS STATE.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by aloyemeka2: 3:25am On Sep 03, 2011
Big B1:

In Lagos alone or the whole Nigeria for more than 100 years?
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by cre8tivity(f): 3:42am On Sep 03, 2011
forget lagos, hello abuja.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Russialane(m): 7:17am On Sep 03, 2011
undecided
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by geogentle: 7:51am On Sep 03, 2011
aloy-emeka:

[size=14pt]Pains as Lagos roads get flooded, again[/size]
Written by Olalekan Olabulo, Lagos
Friday, September 2, 2011

Pedestrians, who wanted to cross to the GRA part of Ladipo had no choice but to pay 50 naira to the youth before being allowed to walk on the planks that served as link over the flood.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/27650-pains-as-lagos-roads-get-flooded-again

Sometimes disappointment = blessings. At least the flood provided income for some.

Drainage!!!

ajirebi20:

@OP:

Are you an engineer? How did you know this is a drainage issue?

And do u need an engineer to tell you that this happened as a result of bad drainage?
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by bashydemy(m): 8:45am On Sep 03, 2011
Big B1:

Fashola is the best governor ever! Give me a break!
These fools will rather spend more stolen money on buying more Range Rovers to move around during raining season than fixing the roads.

Nigeria has no leader; this country is only blessed with bunch of greedy figure-heads.
F00ls leading f00lish people, what a beautiful movie.
Exactly what Governor of Texas is doing buying Range Rover sport to cruise the street of Texas instead of tacking the flooding and also American Government doing the same instead of Tackling Hurricane. Some people are just so stewpid to know the meaning of flood/disaster
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Andrew3(m): 9:13am On Sep 03, 2011
Better than anarchy grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by seanet02: 9:46am On Sep 03, 2011
Fashola is trying his best on this issue. Even America that have a better drainage system is experiencing massive flooding, People should be fair in their Comments
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by member479760: 10:15am On Sep 03, 2011
Fashola should not waste money anyhow to control the flood. you can't stop it. think of application of thermodynamics laws. Distribute body bags for people that should be okay till God send the whitepeople back to help us.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by tunde300us(m): 10:23am On Sep 03, 2011
Has anyone here heard of flash flood before ? Just a thouht
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by realiforj: 10:34am On Sep 03, 2011
Nigeria is definitely not left out in global warming palaver. Those in authorities should please take this very serious and fashione out ways of controlling/solving these environmental hazard as is not only Lagos that is having these issues of flooding. i believe fashola is already talking decisive steps towards this.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by MMM2(m): 10:39am On Sep 03, 2011
big city lifeangry
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 03, 2011
No they are not doing enough. Since the july 10 rain nothing has changed. Im telling whats on ground in lagos island, ikoyi, obalende and vi. All my routes and abode. 10mins rain= flood. go to ikoyi passport office now close to the cemetary, its pool of water just cos of the down pour of wednessday. pathetic
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Gbenge77(m): 12:28pm On Sep 03, 2011
This year,Flooding has been a huge problem,globally,
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Greenslim: 12:41pm On Sep 03, 2011
Gbenge 77:

This year,Flooding has been a huge problem,globally,
is a worldwide problem now
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by bashydemy(m): 4:09pm On Sep 03, 2011
^^ Exactly
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by ikeyman00(m): 9:35pm On Sep 03, 2011
^^^^

u think we are stupid!! shocked
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Sep 03, 2011
Greenslim:

is a worldwide problem now

That is not true. Floods happen every year, in some places more than others. In parts of the world where you have INTENSE weather patterns, granted their is not much that can be done to control the floods. However, many of these governments work very hard to minimize loses due to the INEVITABLE.

In Lagos, and most all of nigeria where these INTENSE weather patterns seen elsewhere are near absent, this is near NO REASON why these levels of floods should be a REGULAR pattern. NO EXCUSE!

tunde300us:

Has anyone here heard of flash flood before ? Just a thouht

Yes, I have, and it has been the NORM SINCE THE YEAR I WAS BORN, in NIGERIA. Show me one year when we did not have a flash flood incident in any part of Southern Nigeria, just one year!!
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by aloyemeka2: 10:21pm On Sep 03, 2011
nakedall:

Fashola should not waste money anyhow to control the flood. you can't stop it. think of application of thermodynamics laws. Distribute body bags for people that should be okay till God send the whitepeople back to help us.

Roflmao grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by aloyemeka2: 10:21pm On Sep 03, 2011
cre8tivity:

forget lagos, hello abuja.
Hello Boko Haram. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Jaideyone(m): 8:27am On Sep 05, 2011
I see no reason why people should blame fashola for this. The drainage system in lagos is bad and brf is not responsible for the present situation. This man is doing what he can do to rehabilitate lagos roads. If his predecessors were as competent as he is then the drainage system would have been excellent. I stay in surulere and I don't move around much but i know drainage systems have been constructed in university road in akoka, harvey road in yaba, ogunlana drive in surulere. Construction is still going on along ishaga road from the junction around banire street in ojuelegba road down to ilasa maja. Lagos would be a better place if the previous governors did half the job fashola is doing. Let's learn to criticize constructively pls.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by Kobojunkie: 8:37am On Sep 05, 2011
Jaidey-one:

I see no reason why people should blame fashola for this[b]. The drainage system in lagos is bad and brf is not responsible for the present situation. This man is doing what he can do to rehabilitate lagos roads[/b]. If his predecessors were as competent as he is then the drainage system would have been excellent. I stay in surulere and I don't move around much but i know drainage systems have been constructed in university road in akoka, harvey road in yaba, ogunlana drive in surulere. Construction is still going on along ishaga road from the junction around banire street in ojuelegba road down to ilasa maja. Lagos would be a better place if the previous governors did half the job fashola is doing. Let's learn to criticize constructively pls.

Almost 5 years into his administration and numerous rainy season floods later, Fashola should not be held responsible for the state of drainage in Lagos? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by aloyemeka2: 11:16am On Sep 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Almost 5 years into his administration and numerous rainy season floods later, Fashola should not be held responsible for the state of drainage in Lagos? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

You can only hold him responsible after 8 or 9 years.
Re: Lagos Roads Get Flooded Again! by spoOne: 11:45am On Sep 05, 2011
The Gov is not God, let’s blame global warming, over population, and centralized economic base. The federal government must do its share in decentralizing the country’s economic and business base. This should have been ensured before moving the Federal Capital from Lagos to Abuja. Once upon a time Lagos was not only the Federal Capital but also the Country’s business hub. . . and it is still the business hub; so the plan at the onset should have been to not only move the FCT to Abuja, but to also create other business centers across the country; in PH, Edo, Enugu, Onitsha, Warri etc. The Governor is doing the best he can do – the Federal Government must take it from here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

States Begin Power Distribution In January - NERC / IPOB Raise High 'biafran Flag' In Brazil Rio 2016 Olympics (VIDEO) / Gov. Ugwuanyi Swears In Two Commissioners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.