Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,586 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar (25028 Views)

My Trip From Lagos To Ethiopia, Kenya And Mauritius Island / Lagos Ferry To Start Operations In November - See What The Ferries Look Like / Ikorodu-Mile 12 Road: Crowd At The Ikorodu Ferry Terminal Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 12:54pm On Jan 05, 2023
Hello family,
Just decided to share my ferry trip with you guys.
I have always been fascinated by boat rides but i never really took part in any boat ride which lasted over 10mins due to the horrible stories I heard about water transportation.
But on December 30th I made a few enquiries from people about the possibility of taking a boat ride from Akwa Ibom to Calabar. I was given mixed answers. I decided to summon courage and take on this thrilling journey for the fun of it.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:02pm On Jan 05, 2023
I left my home at 9:00am on Monday 2nd January, boarded a cab from the Oron road park just after the shelter Afrique - Mbiabong Market for ₦1,000.00 to Oron. The small Nissan Sunny Salon was old and overloaded with 3 passengers in front (drivers inclusive), and 4 passengers at the rear. The journey took approximately 30-40minutes to Oron Kingdom. Where we stopped. I boarded a bike to the Oron Jetty for ₦150 and the bike rider took me to Sea Express Transit office. I inquired about the trip and the cashier was courteous enough to explain to me. I paid the sum of ₦3,000 and was issued a ferry ticket.

I observed that there is the Oron crayfish and fish market beside the Jetty, some boat technicians and some traders were at the vicinity.

11 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:04pm On Jan 05, 2023
I was instructed to rush through the back office to the jetty that a Ferry was about to leave. But on reaching, the ferry was already out of docks and moving away.

9 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:09pm On Jan 05, 2023
I felt disappointed, and went back to the office where another staff told me to wait till 12pm that another ferry will be docking at 11:45am and we can leave by 12pm. I decided to accept my fate. And true to the words of the staff, at 11:45 another ferry came to dock

8 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by ahnie: 1:11pm On Jan 05, 2023
I love adventures like this.... hopefully I would embark on one soonest,not undermining the fact that m aquaphobic.

Nice one kingreignz

12 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:11pm On Jan 05, 2023
After the passengers disembarked the ferry, dropped their life vests, their luggage were offloaded and the ferry was cleaned, we were made to go into the ferry

8 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by obiekunie01: 1:14pm On Jan 05, 2023
i no fit men!

for me to enter boat or ferry or ship,

I MUST FIRST GO LEARN HOW TO SWIM LIKE AN OLYMPIC SWIMMING CHAMPION!

Outside of these conditions, I CANNOT AND WILL NOT TRY IT!

Ordinary stand wey i stand 500 meters from river niger for ontisha that day, na so the water dey hit the the edges and was making some kind of weird loud sound like that - as if the water is hungry!

i no even know were i get the speed whn i take clear from that side despite peoples laughter - i no even send!

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by nurey(m): 1:14pm On Jan 05, 2023
Abeg buy crayfish come, I dey Oron dey wait U
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:15pm On Jan 05, 2023
I observed the pier was made of ‘L’ shaped steel members painted and woods were used as walking path, and chemical drums tied together acted as floating platforms which felt unsteady and slightly bouncy. However, we were made to walk to the platform and into the ferry in group of 3 persons so as not to upset the platform.

5 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:16pm On Jan 05, 2023
nurey:
Abeg buy crayfish come, I dey Oron dey wait U

Okay my Egbon, but Errrm oron crayfish market opens on Sunday grin
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Ladiesdream: 1:16pm On Jan 05, 2023
Continue, I dey your back. grin grin
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:18pm On Jan 05, 2023
obiekunie01:
i no fit men!

for me to enter boat or ferry or ship,

I MUST FIRST GO LEARN HOW TO SWIM LIKE AN OLYMPIC SWIMMING CHAMPION!

Outside of these conditions, I CANNOT AND WILL NOT TRY IT!

Fia fia angry
Nothing to fear about this trip bro! It’s as safe as it could be, we also had security and military personnel in plain clothes with us in the trip so as to reduce incidence of kidnapping and other water crimes. cool

19 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:18pm On Jan 05, 2023
Ladiesdream:
Continue, I dey your back. grin grin

Thanks boss! I

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by obiekunie01: 1:23pm On Jan 05, 2023
kingreign:

Fia fia angry
Nothing to fear about this trip bro! It’s as safe as it could be, we also had security and military personnel in plain clothes with us in the trip so as to reduce incidence of kidnapping and other water crimes. cool

oga kingreign!

IF THEM LIKE MAKE THEM BRING DSS JOIN FOR SECURITY!

I NO ENTER!!

You see how you confirm my point up there ba!
common gangway fa! wey them suppose make am strong very well BUT THEM LEAVE AM TO DEY FLOAT!
THEN ANY MISTAKE YOU BECOME FISH FOOD! GOD FORBID!

I NO GO NEAR WATER FOR ANY REASON!

To cross mainland bridge self i dey close my eyes tight talk more of to go enter boat! no be me!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:24pm On Jan 05, 2023
The vessel itself was built in Nigeria by SERRIACRAFT LIMITED, EPE, LAGOS cool which had a sitting capacity of 30 passengers and was made from Fibreglass composite materials to help with weight reduction and buoyancy. The craft had twin Yamaha F200 outboard motors which by the way are 2.8L i4 4cycle engines putting out 200hp at the shaft and each motor was capable of 60 knots each; So, the combined outputs was 400shp

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:24pm On Jan 05, 2023
obiekunie01:

oga kingreign!

IF THEM LIKE MAKE THEM BRING DSS JOIN FOR SECURITY!

I NO ENTER!!

You see how you confirm my point up there ba!
common gangway fa! wey them suppose make am strong very well BUT THEM LEAVE AM TO DEY FLOAT!
THEN ANY MISTAKE YOU BECOME FISH FOOD! GOD FORBID!

I NO GO NEAR grin WATER FOR ANY REASON!

To cross mainland bridge self i dey close my eyes tight talk more of to go enter boat! no be me!

Hahahaha my wife was actually discouraging me from this trip o! Na strong head make me undertake this trip grin

3 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by nurey(m): 1:25pm On Jan 05, 2023
kingreign:

Okay my Egbon, but Errrm oron crayfish market opens on Sunday grin

Just say you no wan buy anything come haba, what stops you from patronizing the traders at the vicinity
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:27pm On Jan 05, 2023
kingreign:
The vessel itself was built in Nigeria by SERRIACRAFT LIMITED, EPE, LAGOS cool which had a sitting capacity of 30 passengers and was made from Fibreglass composite materials to help with weight reduction and buoyancy. The craft had twin Yamaha F200 outboard motors which by the way are 2.0L i4 4cycle engines putting out 200hp at the shaft and each motor was capable of 60 knots each; So, the combined outputs was 400shp
The craft also had, Garmin GPSMAP 585 satellite navigation receiver, a ball in fluid compass, a 2 Way radio receiver and communicator among others.

12 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:29pm On Jan 05, 2023
nurey:

Just say you no wan buy anything come haba, what stops you from patronizing the traders at the vicinity

I bought ₦10,000 fish and ₦3,000 crayfish wink you can’t embark on such trips without madam asking you to bring something when coming back home na. Or you wan come house and see frowning face? lipsrsealed

35 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:31pm On Jan 05, 2023
At 12pm, the vessel started its journey, and I was fascinated by the power output that these vessels had as it effortlessly glided through the relatively calm waters creating white water and waves at the sides and tail as it moves.

As we moved on, I could only imagine how big and deep the body of water was.

Ahnie, come back here!
Happy new year to you dear!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by obiekunie01: 1:34pm On Jan 05, 2023
kingreign:

Hahahaha my wife was actually discouraging me from this trip o! Na strong head make me undertake this trip grin

abeg you tryoo!

i wish i can!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by ahnie: 1:36pm On Jan 05, 2023
kingreign:
At 12pm, the vessel started its journey, and I was fascinated by the power output that these vessels had as it effortlessly glided through the relatively calm waters creating white water and waves at the sides and tail as it moves.

As we moved on, I could only imagine how big and deep the body of water was.

Ahnie, come back here!
Happy new year to you dear!
wink.

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:36pm On Jan 05, 2023
obiekunie01:

abeg you tryoo!

i wish i can!

The only water craft I may not wish to be in is a speedboat or a small canoe paddled by human efforts. shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:38pm On Jan 05, 2023
As we proceeded through various turns in the mangrove to Calabar, I took a peak at the speed info and was shocked at the actual speeds we were doing. I still didn’t believe it though.
Each outboard engine was putting about 50knots and 51 knots of speed, and the speed readout was 158km/h on the display (which I still doubt)

7 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by michlins(m): 1:38pm On Jan 05, 2023
I dey here to enjoy
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by obiekunie01: 1:38pm On Jan 05, 2023
kingreign:

The only water craft I may not wish to be in is a speedboat or a small canoe paddled by human efforts. shocked

abeg i no wish to be in any of them!

you see that picture wey u post up there showing that huge body of water, to look at the pix self dey do me somehow!
talk more of being close to it in real life.

UNA DEY TRYOOO!

3 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:41pm On Jan 05, 2023
obiekunie01:

abeg i no wish to be in any of them!

you see that picture wey u post up there showing that huge body of water, to look at the pix self dey do me somehow!
talk more of being close to it in real life.

UNA DEY TRYOOO!

Na when I Dey much younger and unmarried I Dey do many adrenaline rushing stuffs. Now, I Dey fear many things wella

4 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:41pm On Jan 05, 2023
michlins:
I dey here to enjoy

You’re welcome sir!
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:42pm On Jan 05, 2023
We passed a Chemical/storage Vessel by name ‘WESTMORE’ which was anchored in the middle of the water

4 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:47pm On Jan 05, 2023
kingreign:
We passed a Chemical/storage Vessel by name ‘WESTMORE’ which was anchored in the middle of the water

At that point, somebody (I suspect a military personnel in plain cloth) advised me to stop taking photos of the sight I was enjoying
I was disappointed, and then he said, there are water police and also naval personnel and equipment around and it’s highly prohibited to take pictures of their equipment and drills which I accepted. True to it, we spotted a marine Police Speed boat anchored and also a Naval speed boat patrolling the waterways and I found them quite risky yet entertaining at the same time.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by michlins(m): 1:48pm On Jan 05, 2023
On average, what's the time for this journey on the road
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 1:52pm On Jan 05, 2023
kingreign:

At that point, somebody (I suspect a military personnel in plain cloth) advised me to stop taking photos of the sight I was enjoying
I was disappointed, and then he said, there are water police and also naval personnel and equipment around and it’s highly prohibited to take pictures of their equipment and drills which I accepted. True to it, we spotted a marine Police Speed boat anchored and also a Naval speed boat patrolling the waterways and I found them quite risky yet entertaining at the same time.

As we slowed down to go berth at the Calabar NIWA jetty, we spotted the CELSIA, it is a Big Black and white Oil/chemical tanker and was coming in through the Creek-Town end of the water, we spotted some beautiful Naval vessels (names withheld) belonging to Eastern Naval command performing their drills.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Visits Plane Crash Site, No Casualties (Pictures) / A Final Year Student Of Oscohtech Died From Accident Today (graphic Photos) / Isawo Road, Lagos In Worst Condition (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.