Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar (25014 Views)

My Trip From Lagos To Ethiopia, Kenya And Mauritius Island / Lagos Ferry To Start Operations In November - See What The Ferries Look Like / Ikorodu-Mile 12 Road: Crowd At The Ikorodu Ferry Terminal Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Sam119(m): 9:08am On Jan 06, 2023
OP Nice one. So thrilling.

I was in Akwa-Ibom last year November, Eastern Obollo to be precise. There was a large body of water I saw there. Can one get to Calabar using that route?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Shorty1980: 9:08am On Jan 06, 2023
I bi papi water ,if I enter water ,mami water go happy say I don come back
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by bro4u: 9:09am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:
The vessel itself was built in Nigeria by SERRIACRAFT LIMITED, EPE, LAGOS cool which had a sitting capacity of 30 passengers and was made from Fibreglass composite materials to help with weight reduction and buoyancy. The craft had twin Yamaha F200 outboard motors which by the way are 2.0L i4 4cycle engines putting out 200hp at the shaft and each motor was capable of 60 knots each; So, the combined outputs was 400shp
Na u know wetin u dey talk here boss

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by herkeem: 9:10am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

45mins via ferry on the average.
Bro you have a YouTube channel?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 9:12am On Jan 06, 2023
herkeem:

Bro you have a YouTube channel?

No, I don’t for now.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 9:13am On Jan 06, 2023
bro4u:

Na u know wetin u dey talk here boss

Lol. Those are technical data and terms for those gearheads grin

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by FiremanX: 9:26am On Jan 06, 2023
SMARTMOTORS:
EDET LIVES IN CALABAR
He's 8 years old

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by herkeem: 9:30am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

No, I don’t for now.
Okay boss. I have a channel and would like to start doing travelling videos this year. Any advice?

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 9:31am On Jan 06, 2023
herkeem:

Okay boss. I have a channel and would like to start doing travelling videos this year. Any advice?

No advice!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by herkeem: 9:32am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

No advice!
Ok thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 9:41am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

The only water craft I may not wish to be in is a speedboat or a small canoe paddled by human efforts. shocked

Lol! You should try a pontoon bridge. Went to my village for the first time May last year. Had the shock of my life when we got to a point and we had to disembark and get on a pontoon. Pontoon controlled by a young boy and an old man. I'm not an Olympic swimmer although I'm comfortable in water and can get on my back to stay afloat. I was scared stiff on the 5 minute ride across the river because in my experience, the undercurrents in those river are never revealed by their seemingly calm surface

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Mrklemo(m): 9:42am On Jan 06, 2023
To and fro is 6000. From plaza to Itam Junction is 100, from Itam junction to Urua Ekpa is 100. I will stand along Uraua ekpa /calabar itu highway, i will see a vehicle going to calabar at max 1200. To and fro for me 2800.

Don't blame a nigga, i am afraid of water.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 9:45am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:
As we proceeded through various turns in the mangrove to Calabar, I took a peak at the speed info and was shocked at the actual speeds we were doing. I still didn’t believe it though.
Each outboard engine was putting about 50knots and 51 knots of speed, and the speed readout was 158km/h on the display (which I still doubt)

There are speed tracking apps that you could have installed on your iPhone to spot check the speeds you were seeing

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 9:54am On Jan 06, 2023
Lanshile:
The reason why I love road trip if im the one driving is that my faith is in my hand
Besides land is the only place we can survive cos that is our habitual residence
If plane crash man cannot withstand the excess air intake and if boat or ship drown the salty water intake is a problem and also drowning
Op road transportation is the best

Let's do a quick data collection of road accidents vs water and air accidents. You'd find out that a water and air are way safer than road

4 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 9:55am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

No, I’m a Yoruba 8
Your kingdom is lovely I must say.

A Yoruba what?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 9:55am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Lol! You should try a pontoon bridge. Went to my village for the first time May last year. Had the shock of my life when we got to a point and we had to disembark and get on a pontoon. Pontoon controlled by a young boy and an old man. I'm not an Olympic swimmer although I'm comfortable in water and can get on my back to stay afloat. I was scared stiff on the 5 minute ride across the river because in my experience, the undercurrents in those river are never revealed by their seemingly calm surface

Wait, let me get you clearly, do you mean this water body I passed has under currents that are dangerous?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 9:55am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

A Yoruba what?
I’m a Yoruba cool

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 9:56am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Let's do a quick data collection of road accidents vs water and air accidents. You'd find out that a water and air are way safer than road
Tell him.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 9:56am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Never crossed my mind. Also, the Internet reception was not good

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 9:59am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

Wait, let me get you clearly, do you mean this water body I passed has under currents that are dangerous?

I don't know if that particular one had dangerous under currents. But that's the first I try to find out when I come across super calm water bodies. Still waters they say runs deep. The locals often know if the under currents are treacherous or not

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 9:59am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

Never crossed my mind. Also, the Internet reception was not good

I guess this is in response to my post about speed tracking apps. I'm not sure they require internet
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by id4sho(m): 10:00am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

Because the speed no vary when we took turns around the mangroves it held steady at 158km/h but the speed of each engine varied when we took the turns.
Baba, you mean Nigerian waterways and no potholes experience. undecided

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:02am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I don't know if that particular one had dangerous under currents. But that's the first I try to find out when I come across super calm water bodies. Still waters they say runs deep. The locals often know if the under currents are treacherous or not

Well, part of the horrible stories I heard was about how very very good swimmers drowns when a boat capsizes in the river. I also heard about how the River could be very very rough and unstable at times.

2 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:03am On Jan 06, 2023
id4sho:

Baba, you mean Nigerian waterways and no potholes experience. undecided

Vawulense no Dey suppose enter River o! grin

2 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:03am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I guess this is in response to my post about speed tracking apps. I'm not sure they require internet

I need internet to download such app na
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by cuteboy2: 10:04am On Jan 06, 2023
Just convert that 50.5 knots to km/hr, that is 94km/hr. Ignore that 158km/hr, it is not correct

kingreign:
As we proceeded through various turns in the mangrove to Calabar, I took a peak at the speed info and was shocked at the actual speeds we were doing. I still didn’t believe it though.
Each outboard engine was putting about 50knots and 51 knots of speed, and the speed readout was 158km/h on the display (which I still doubt)

2 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by sircatherine45(m): 10:06am On Jan 06, 2023
ahnie:
I love adventures like this.... hopefully I would embark on one soonest,not undermining the fact that m aquaphobic.

Nice one kingreignz

please don't try this. We Nairalsnders love you
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 10:07am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

Well, part of the horrible stories I heard was about how very very good swimmers drowns when a boat capsizes in the river. I also heard about how the River could be very very rough and unstable at times.

It's the under currents. Those very good swimmers did not factor in the undercurrents. I lost a cousin who was an excellent swimmer to those kind of aquatic accidents. Got to a new location and didn't think to evaluate the under currents before diving in (because it looked calm up top)

2 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:10am On Jan 06, 2023
cuteboy2:
Just convert that 50.5 knots to km/hr, that is 94km/hr. Ignore that 158km/hr, it is not correct

Each outboard motor was pushing 50 knots and 51knots respectively. After doing the math I was not convinced but hey! That was what I saw at the top left corner of the LCD display.

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:10am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

It's the under currents. Those very good swimmers did not factor in the undercurrents. I lost a cousin who was an excellent swimmer to those kind of aquatic accidents. Got to a new location and didn't think to evaluate the under currents before diving in (because it looked calm up top)
Wow!
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by aieromon(m): 10:15am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:
The vessel itself was built in Nigeria by SERRIACRAFT LIMITED, EPE, LAGOS cool which had a sitting capacity of 30 passengers and was made from Fibreglass composite materials to help with weight reduction and buoyancy. The craft had twin Yamaha F200 outboard motors which by the way are 2.0L i4 4cycle engines putting out 200hp at the shaft and each motor was capable of 60 knots each; So, the combined outputs was 400shp

Well detailed. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by aieromon(m): 10:16am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

The craft also had, Garmin GPSMAP 585 satellite navigation receiver, a ball in fluid compass, a 2 Way radio receiver and communicator among others.

Did you get permission to take these pictures?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should I Keep My Federal Job Or Travel to the U.K / Abuja Metro Railway: Residents To Enjoy Two Weeks Of Free Ride / Dubai Banks Reportedly Closing Accounts Of Nigerian Politicians In The UAE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.