Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,896 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:27 AM

Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? (7060 Views)

APC ’ll Run Down Nigeria Like Lagos – Obanikoro / Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur / Anambra May Soon Be Like Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by EkoIle1: 7:53am On Sep 05, 2011
The fact is, we all know Nigeria won't attain uninterrupted power supply even decades from now while Lagos is on track to do it in no time with ease. They have the infrastructure set and ready to go, they've tested the road map with new power plants and underground cable, they a their own electricity company and authority, they've built a transformer manufacturing plant, they've conducted statewide electricity audit to determine how much electricity the state is consuming and how much it needs, something Nigeria is yet to do even with tens of billions spent so far.

We know who has the vision and commitment to solve this problem and is def not the government of Nigeria.

ekt_bear:

At those who doubt Lagos's potential independent of Nigeria. . . honestly, it means that some of ya'll are overrating the hell out of Nigeria.

This isn't a country like the US which is more than the sum of its parts.

As I said earlier, electricity >>>> Nigeria.

Nigeria isn't really needed for Lagos's purposes. . . electricity is more important. The world is a big-@ss place, far bigger than Nigeria. And when you live by the sea, it isn't by force to interact with the interior.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by Johndoe100(m): 8:03am On Sep 05, 2011
Lagos is one of the states that can not survive without the rest of Nigeria. Lagos derives most of its IGR from companies which are based in Lagos but sell their products nationally. If Lagos goes, the companies will relocate for economic reasons, bye bye IGR.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by thought: 8:36am On Sep 05, 2011
Eko Ile:

Very warped and misguided analysis,

1. Nigerian government is not the only or major exporter or importerin Nigeria. Majority of imports are done by private business, not the federal government. Business is all about making money and profits and thell go to where ever is best and cost effective to do business.

are you implying Lagosians for lagos or Nigerians for Nigeria- because just as Nigeria cannot allow Togo businessmen to use the port in togo to import/ export goods into Nigeria (legally), so would Nigeria not allow Lagos do same if it were independent.

2. Oil companies relocating to Nigeria is absolutely irrelevant, it's very possible to rent a building in Abuja and call it their HQ while retaining their base of operation in lagos.

Moderators : I think we need to start putting age restriction on NL- possibly only over 18 should posting here. . . . . . . .why would companies retain operational base in lagos- would it be part of Nigeria. All those structures in Nigeria would be left empty.

3. Lagos remains the business hub of west Africa not because of Nigeria, it's because of Lagos itself and lagosians.

refer to my first sentence in two above

4. Lagos shall remaing the entertainment capital of sub Africa simply because no state within Nigeria can replicate Lagos and it's soul.

5. Lagos is currently laying it's own power cables and building power plants to provide uninterrupted power supply, they also have their own electricity company.
I  would give this to lagos because it would have very little population so that is possible ideally but that I hope it would have resources/ income to keep its engines running as revenues would be wayyyyyyy downnn.

6. Lagos will have uninterrupted power supply while Nigeria shal remain in darknes because of the same incompetent and corrupt people ruling Nigeria.

7. Because of uninterrupted power supply alone , business activitites will not only improve significantly, businesses within Nigeria will relocate to Lagos to enjoy uninterrupted power supply and save on diesel,  Meaning more tax revenue fir Lagos state. Coke moved to Ghana because of the power situation and I'm sure thell all move back.

8. You are wrong, Lagos have oil, they not only have everything you mentioned, they also have the most skilled and educated manpower in west Africa and that's what businesses look for. That you can not take away from lagos.

9.Lagos shall remain not only the play ground for Nigeria's rich and famous, Lagos will be the number one tourist, business and leisure destination for nigerians which means more tax revenue and influx of sustained cash within the lagos economy.

10. The best sea port  and airport shall remain in Lagos to be patronized by lagosians and nigerians in general with profits going to the Lagos state government and not Nigeria.

11. Right now, Lagos is moving fast ahead of Nigeria itself even with Nigeria pulling it back with national incompetency and lack of vision. Nigerians will never stop looking south to Lagos moving ahead while they remain in darkness and continue to deal with the same sad state of affairs and drama associated with Nigeria today. In fact, I see massive influx of humane and money into Lagos and not the other way around:

Lagos is always a safe and stable refuge for 250 tribes withing Nigeria for a reason and no single place in nigeria can duplicate lagos.

Lagos is a culture and way of life, not just a state or city within Nigeria.

[b]Moderators you seriously need to look at the issue of age restriction here. ,  . . ,  . . . . . . . . .to summarize all you have said in one line. . . . . ,   . . .THE MOON BOASTING TO THE SUN THAT ITS (MOON'S) LIGHT IS BEAUTIFUL- IT LIGHTS UP THE NIGHT, SO THE SUN CAN GO TO HELL AS THE MOON HAS NO USE FOR IT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[/b]I hope you understand my message. . . . . . . . . . . . . . but just in case Nigeria = SUN, Lagos = MOON.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by EkoIle1: 9:17am On Sep 05, 2011
I really was expecting you to address all eleven pointers with adult understanding of the current capabilities and opportunities within both entities, not to come up with the same backward rubbish.

Where in your warped world do you see people moving from a safe, well managed place with uninteruptrd power supply to move into a lawless dark hole with no future or direction and also where business and manufacturing is stagnant and running on diesel with poor and unuducates manpower? Just where. Businesses and manufacturing will stay in Lagos and Nigeria will keep importing from Lagos same way theve been importting from other countries since the begining of time. Do you really think thousands of manufacturing will uproot their factories and millions of skilled manpower into a darkhole called Nigeria?

I wont even worry about the silly port talk, Lagos wont need all that crap, business's in Lagos will import and clear the goods by businesses in Lagos And you will import the goods from Lagos state, same way you import goods from other countries. Lagos state don't need Nigeria, it's the other way around. Nigeria is a stumbling block in Lagos road to development and civilization.

The largest deep seaport in africa is already under construction in lagos state to be patronized not only by Lagos, but by the entire west African trade region with the new 10 lane Badagry express freeway moving goods and services across the entire region.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by JimmyBoy1: 10:26am On Sep 05, 2011
To me, possibility or otherwise is not the issue, but to what end?
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 05, 2011
Jimmy Boy:

To me, possibility or otherwise is not the issue, but to what end?

It is a case of having too much time on the hands.

Give enough time and you'd soon hear the cries for secession emanating from Alimosho Local Government, spearheaded by the ALF (Alimosho Liberation Front - Nigeria's newest separatist movement grin
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by queensmith: 1:46pm On Sep 05, 2011
@op depends on how much the town/city is worth- they tried that in bayelsa and lost a million lives. soo many governments will be against it out of sheer greed.

But its a brilliant idea- globalisation only paves way for capitalism and inequality
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by DaLover(m): 7:09am On Sep 06, 2011
The question is can Lagos form an independent country, y not? infact anybody can, an italian hamlet of 500 people did so, y not lagos? a number of us are going into the possible consequences lol, like beaf said, all that is required to survive is good leadership nothing more, nothing less, the best resourses are the people.

All this talk of we are better than the rest of nigeria bullshit just never stops,
eko Ile, lagos became what it is because it was part of nigeria, take 10 quiet minutes to reflect on that fact.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News..... Fulani Herdsmen About To Attack Aba This Night In Retaliation / Ondo Is No Longer An Oil Producing State Just Like Crossriver / This Picture Proves How Powerful And Connected Nnamdi Kanu Is

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.