Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,827 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru (1082 Views)

Where Does One Go To Submit CV In Abuja / 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers / FREE CV Template: Create A Professional CV In 15 Minutes Or Less (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru by Hamachi(f): 5:11am On Jan 06, 2023
THINGS TO REMOVE FROM YOUR CV IN 2023
By The Real CV Guru

1. Career Objective - When you start your CV off with a Career Objective, it shifts the focus away from what YOU can do / why they should hire you / what problem you can solve. Most career objectives are generic and only provide the reader with what YOU are seeking or looking for. "Seeking a role that will enable me to utilise my skills within a growing company". Sound familiar? Do not make the intro about what you want, but rather what makes you the best candidate in relation to the role you're applying for.

2. Personal Information - This includes your Home Address, ID Number, number of dependents, health info, date of birth, marital status, religion, etc. What else am I missing?

3. Photo. Unless a huge part of you getting the job is dependent on your looks, then leave this off. Recruiters, like everyone else, have inherent biases, and you don't want to be a position where focus is drawn on your appearance, rather than your actual skills, experience etc.

4. Additional documents. DO NOT combine any documents such as your certificates, copy of your ID to your CV. Your CV should be a file on its own. If the job application requests the docs to be sent, then attach them as seperate files.

5. Buzzwords. These are words that, as a result of being over-used, have now lost their impact. Words/phrases such as, "hard-working, "motivated", "punctual", "diligent". Imagine when Hiring Managers / recruiters have to scan through dozens of CVs, and every candidate claims to be a "hard-working and motivated individual"? It does nothing to help you stand out from other candidates.

6. Graphics such as logos, charts and tables. These might be great for a human to look at, but not for the robot (ATS) that needs to initially scan your CV when you've applied online. These kind of graphics are unreadable to the ATS (depending on which ATS it is).

7. Unnecessary fluff. Your CV does not need a cover page and it doesn't need the title, "Curriculum Vitae of...". Recruiters spend less than 6 seconds reviewing each CV. You’ve got 6 seconds to show them that it’s worth their time to continue reading. Get to the point!

8. Long paragraphs. These will make your CV hard to read. Your intro summary should be 2 - 3 sentences MAX. Your responsibilities should always be in bullet point form. And please, DO NOT copy all that text from your cover letter and include it on your CV.

9. Your life story. Your resume should not resemble a Wikipedia page, with details of every single thing you've done throughout your existence. Essentially, it should resemble the landing page of a website. Your Unique Value Proposition should be clearly articulated. It should follow a clear, readable structure. Succinct. Straight to the point.

10. E-mail address from your current employer. It really is unprofessional, and more than that, leads the recruiter / Hiring Manager to believe that you apply for jobs during company time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru by 14dfuture(m): 12:49pm On Jan 15
Pls send me a sample of this CV format. I will highly appreciate it πŸ™... nathanieladima71@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru by Hamachi(f): 4:53pm On Jan 18
Are you willing to pay, I can help with you cv
14dfuture:
Pls send me a sample of this CV format. I will highly appreciate it πŸ™... nathanieladima71@gmail.com
Re: Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru by finoki: 4:19am On Jan 22
Hamachi:
Are you willing to pay, I can help with you cv

How much do you charge for a cv redraft?

1 Like

Re: Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru by Hamachi(f): 8:02pm On Jan 25
finoki:

How much do you charge for a cv redraft?
Re: Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru by Emma1Oj(m): 12:51am On Jan 26
Hamachi:
shocked shocked shocked shockedπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ chai..!

Pls add collection of visa to that amount.

1 Like

Re: Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru by Hamachi(f): 8:04am On Feb 08
Emma1Oj:
shocked shocked shocked shockedπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ chai..!

Pls add collection of visa to that amount.
Okay
Re: Things To Remove From Your Cv In 2023 By The Real Cv Guru by LegallyBlunt: 8:13am On Feb 08
Buzzwords? Those are pretty much necessary and I've see them on tons of CVs that made it to the right places. Placement and when to use them is the most important thing.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ecobank Entry Level 2023 / Nicon Test Has Anybody Been Contacted? / Accountant And Secretary Needed In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.