Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,697 members, 7,802,055 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! (43561 Views)

Is N150,000 Monthly A Good Salary ? / 774,000 Jobs: Beneficiaries Salary Is N60,000 Monthly - Festus Keyamo / Monthly Salary Of A Federal Road Safety (FRSC) Officer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by IyaTola: 6:37pm On Jan 10, 2023
I cannot take up that job, N150,000 monthly salary is too small!

Last year, a fresh graduate rejected the job I got him

I asked him to take the job for 6 months so that he can gather experience for his next job, but he didn't listen

He is still at home trusting God

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

Some think the salary is belittling and not up to their worth.

I have also seen a lot of people on social media advising graduates not to settle for less which I disagree.

Your decision depends on whether you have a job at hand or not.

I believe it's better to accept a job with low salary than sitting at home to do nothing.

Once the salary can cater for your feeding and transport, you are fine.

No experience is a waste and no matter how bad a job is, you will learn something even if it is tolerance and perseverance.

You have an experience to point to.

You can't ask for a lion share (Salary) with a fish brain (no experience)

At the earliest days of my career,

I was living in Mowe -Ibafo axis, Arepo to be precise, working at Yaba and the salary was small,

I do wake up as early as 4:30am to enjoy cheap transport to Ojota

And BRT to Yaba were cheaper compared to 14 seater Bus.

Then, I do take standing in the BRT bus because it is cheaper than taking a seat

Infact standing was my hobby ��

I will get to the office 6am and wait till 8am when other staff will resume.

The pay was small, I worked as late as 8pm but the experience was BIG and worth it.

Later, I joined another company with double salary.

The rest is history today,

If you are in doubt of taking a job because of the pay, accept the offer,

Give your best, learn as much as you can, don't get carried away and keep your eye on your goal.

Remember, if you are too big to do small things, you will be too small to do big things

Do you agree?

447 Likes 28 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by CodeTemplar: 8:36pm On Jan 10, 2023
He could have accepted it and just see it as a intern role to learn. It is better to ignore it in his CV if he feels it will downgrade him in the eyes of future prospective employers.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Truvelisback(m): 9:01pm On Jan 10, 2023
Penny wise, Pounds foolish. He is a foolish man. God doesn't answer the prayer of foolishness. I guess, he has someone fending for him.

149 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by franklingud(m): 9:08pm On Jan 10, 2023
Some village people too strong ah swear!!!!

And na Stupidity dey make village people stronger!

89 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Aguilar(m): 9:34pm On Jan 10, 2023
Oloribu omo, aye omo eh oni da o. How send me link abeg. I need work

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by freddie009(m): 9:42pm On Jan 10, 2023
I had the same thought, I was like it had to be an engineering job or nothing. My friends were angry at me, when they give me a job link I would ask if is an engineering job. I didn't go for the concluding stage of UBA interview because I wanted to complete my master probably it will give me a better chance of landing a job in the oil and gas sector, 11 years after graduation. Las las nah teaching I end up.

In addition: I am an NSE member (Nigeria society of Engineers) was on my way on getting my COREN that's when I decided to step on the breaks.

300 Likes 16 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by IyaTola: 9:44pm On Jan 10, 2023
shocked
freddie009:

I had the same thought, I was like it had to be an engineering job or nothing. My friends were angry at me, when they give me a job link I would ask if is an engineering job. I didn't go for the concluding stage of UBA interview because I wanted to complete my master probably it will give me a better chance of landing a job in the oil and gas sector, 11 years after graduation. Las las nah teaching I end up.
Nigeria is messed up. I have a friend Bsc Accounting, MSc Finance bros dey work for club cry

157 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Venerable612(m): 9:54pm On Jan 10, 2023
franklingud:
Some village people too strong ah swear!!!

Stupidity dey make village people stronger

Depends on the circumstances - but certainly people starting their career need to prioritise personal development over remuneration.

If the remuneration covers your transport and livelihood - by all means, have at it.

The problem is that many folks calculate their family’s financial needs when thinking of the salary - but the employer has only considered the cost of employing you.

74 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Rexymania(m): 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2023
Mama I love your physic

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by ntipro: 10:15pm On Jan 10, 2023
I am not working for anyone ever again in Nigeria.
My last role as a teacher nearly made my life miserable.
Most Nigerian bosses are evil.

Business is the way.

148 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Holybaddo: 12:33am On Jan 11, 2023
grin grin
Leave him alone
Sapa will humble him grin

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by juman(m): 1:36am On Jan 11, 2023
Go and work.
Take up any work available, then you get better one later.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by LikeAking: 1:56am On Jan 11, 2023
ntipro:
I am not working for anyone ever again in Nigeria.

Business is the way.

Correct!

9 Likes

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Gadafii: 2:01am On Jan 11, 2023
In 2017, I took up a particular job in a bank as productivity support officer, then the pay wasn’t worth it, because I would spend close to 70 percent on transport and feeding, luckily for me I met a colleague there on my first day that’s living in my neighborhood, she drives too, so transport was sorted, i was paid around 40k then, the experience was worth it, above all on a good month I could make twice my salary, because I worked with the vendors and they always wanna be in my hood book lol, I made lots of contacts , that when I left the job, some of them were helpful, guess what guess I learnt so much on how to handle simple computer issues, networks and connection, because I worked with the IT GUYS and they were very ready to teach me their job because they felt I would be able to fix some of these issues when they are not around, I really enjoyed my job until the 3rd year when I decided I had to move in because there was no career progress for me, even tho the money was coming in steady every month,and I had the opportunity to earn some online certifications.
till today some of this vendors and IT guys still recommend me for jobs, but I can’t work now because I have gone back to further my education

Sometimes it’s not really about the pay, but the experience, exposure and connections

161 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by dazzlingd(m): 2:02am On Jan 11, 2023
Iyatola, not everybody will suffer in this life.
When I first finished school, I refused to apply to some kind jobs. Abeg
The only time u should overlook salary is when the job has a very good career development and will stand out on your CV.
But working for one Nigeria company that will suck your blood and time in the name of experience that nobody even knows the name of the company does not worth it.
For example, I’d advise a fresh graduate to take a job in kpmg or any of the big four even if the pay maybe low for a start.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by dahmie2013: 6:01am On Jan 11, 2023
Nice write-up OP.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by westlius(m): 6:25am On Jan 11, 2023
Sweet write up

2 Likes

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by DesChyko: 6:30am On Jan 11, 2023
People despise the virtue of little beginnings.

Last year December, I was sitting over an evening drink with a friend when he said "Guy, see us last year (2021), e get when you believe say by this time this year (2022), you go dey where you dey'?"

I just did a little flashback, and started smiling, which later turned into laughter, a very long one. I almost choked on my drink. He joined me in laughing and that was how that episode went. The question went unanswered but the message was clear.

You must start somewhere and stay consistent. There's no guarantee it would happen for you until it happens. But you must be well positioned to receive it. That being said, there may be cases where you'd actually be sitting idle at home and golden opportunity will come find you; those cases are rare.

Do something legit. Anything! The experience and exposure you'd get provides the ladder to the next level.

80 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by DesChyko: 7:01am On Jan 11, 2023
ntipro:

True. Most Nigerian bosses are evil. I am a teacher too and I have a lot of evil things to say about my boss. That's if I choose to ignore all the positives he's had in my life. This is an experience that probably goes the opposite direction of yours.

I started as a lowly graduate teacher of a subject in a private school; but my thirst for self development meant my other skills in tech and guidance/counselling were offered for free to the school and students.

Didn't take long for the students to take to me and I took to them. Soon, I began to have more audience with the boss and took over everything tech-related in the school (website checks, electrical faults, DIYs tutorials, name it) and still teaching.

In addition, my knowledge of vast subject and willingness to read made me a buffer for many subjects. If the teacher is unavailable and I'm free, I'd cover for the subject. A number of staff then said it's eye service but I don't really care. I was doing what I love for a not-so-good pay. Soon, I became the V.P.(Acad) the year before COVID. and you could say it was a good achievement.

During COVID, school shut down for 6 months, my boss paid me salary all through, not 100% salary but better than nothing. The next year, my boss accepted my plea for an increment due to the rising costs and jacked up my current salary then by 50%, making me the highest paid in the school. I forgot to mention that the gifts in cash and kind I get from my boss could be worth up to my three-month salary per year in terms of value. He moved on to pay all the expenses for me to partake in a state-wide competition which I emerged first-runner up, putting the LGA on state map and the school too.

The presence of these achievements in my CV positioned me to land a remote opportunity whose pay dwarfs what I earn at the school by almost 400% in terms of value. My boss agreed to allow me spend only half the normal school time after which I leave to begin the remote task. Note that he didn't reduce my salary; neither did any of the benefits I get cut down.

The first 3 alerts I got this year were from former students I taught; who for one random reason or the other, thought of reaching out. One of my female students who graduated in 2019 has my account sitting in her DM now as per her request yesterday. Not to mention the many ways, many of them used their capacity to help me here and there (even to recommend/purchase quality electronic gadgets or jump those humongous queues at MTN Office grin). My birthday is tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I actually planned to celebrate my birthday. January tough. But not these students/former students. Every year for the past 5 years, they always turn up with plans.

I am Igbo, and we're quite few in my organization, my boss is Yoruba. I could have all sorts of petty things to say about him. I'm sure many of my colleagues will have a lot lot more to say about him. But in the things that matter, he has been a catapult to the very high grounds I find myself today and that is all that really matters to me (not petty things and not other people's opinion of him).

It's a lengthy read but I don't know who is sitting in a similar bus headed in a similar direction. It'll probably work out sooner or later. Just don't stop doing something legit. Anything.

194 Likes 18 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by techWriter3: 7:16am On Jan 11, 2023
Some town folks too strong ah swear!!!Stupidity dey make town folks stronger

Okay, Check my profile if you need help with your dissertation, assignment, statement of purpose, personal statement, or thesis.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by iLoveYouToo(m): 7:36am On Jan 11, 2023
IyaTola:

I asked him to take the job for 6 months so that he can gather experience for his next job, but he didn't listen

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

I have also seen a lot of people on social media advising graduates not to settle for less which I disagree.

I believe it's better to accept a job with low salary than sitting at home to do nothing.

No experience is a waste and no matter how bad a job is, you will learn something even if it is tolerance and perseverance.

I was living in Mowe -Ibafo axis, Arepo to be precise, working at Yaba and the salary was small,

Then, I do take standing in the BRT bus because it is cheaper than taking a seat

The pay was small, I worked as late as 8pm but the experience was BIG and worth it.

Give your best, learn as much as you can, don't get carried away and keep your eye on your goal.

Remember, if you are too big to do small things, you will be too small to do big things

Do you agree?

When I was jobless, I was open to working for 6 months without pay (FREE) to prove myself. I took a pittance and it paid off

Again, under the right guidance and providence, engaging in self development is better than taking that less rewarding job

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by free2ryhme: 7:54am On Jan 11, 2023
IyaTola:

Do you agree?

When I read through your statement I knew you were lying heavily.

Both standing and sitting you pay the same amount for ticket to enter.

BRT never charges different fair for sitting and standing.

33 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why Is Life So Unfair? / Buhari Introduces Startup Nigeria: How To Apply For It / Best Paying Jobs In Nigeria That Don’t Need Your University Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.