Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,011 members, 7,806,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Advice To Every UK Japa Crew - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advice To Every UK Japa Crew (57187 Views)

How To Apply For German Schengen Visa Application Japa Crew / Canada Based Nigerian Warns 'JAPA' Crew: Pictures Video / Meet The Air Peace Crew That Flew In The Medical Supplies From Turkey(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by shalom62: 2:15pm On Jan 15, 2023
I don't just understand why people keep giving negative news up and down. Tax is everywhere except in Nigeria where we don't pay and is because we run a wrong system in Nigeria but in abroad, you will pay it and that's how it works.
On accommodation, UK have houses just that these people take many things into consideration before giving out there house and if they don't do it that way, I bet it with you many would have destroyed there land.

Let me use my case as example, I got accommodation then in Nigeria before even getting into UK at all. So, gather your information very well before JAPA and nothing will happen.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by juman(m): 2:16pm On Jan 15, 2023
Tax is moderate.
Be logical, get affordable accommodation.
So these two are not problems.

4 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by drsibz66(m): 2:17pm On Jan 15, 2023
emperorlaqrin:

How do you want to make 3k with a student visa ?

Anyway you can only work for 20hours while your wife work full time. During your schooling period you both cannot make 3k after tax and neither can your wife do a double job so the 3k is not visible.

Well from experience you can make 3k alone if you can work at least 6days a week for 14hrs on a 11£ hour job. Moreover you and your wife can comfortably work 3k a month even if the student has to work 20hrs a week. Fact

6 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Ofemmanu1: 2:19pm On Jan 15, 2023
Eaganguolly:

Are you saying one partner should stay back with children permanently? Or advising that one person should stay for like 6 months before the rest of the family joins? Am asking for myself.

Oga, use your head na?!
Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Benrosaria(m): 2:19pm On Jan 15, 2023
ttmacoy:
Why not just wait till you are ready to open the thread and post what you want to post?

What's the point of opening thread to say I will talk about this then go to work and leave people waiting?

That's cause you needed to wait to read what you already know. He is only saying if not for the situation in Nigeria, I don't think anyone would think to leave your birth home for anothe, in search of green. The green is where you are, you only need to paint it

2 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Regex: 2:20pm On Jan 15, 2023
emperorlaqrin:
This is going to be an honest review for those who are coming or intend coming to the Uk.

I have watched with keen interest how most People on this platform as resorted to abuse/insult on the few people who are trying to enlighten us about the challenges that are faced in the Uk.

While this Enlightenment was not meant to dissuade anyone from coming to the Uk but to prepare you of the UPS & Down faced by most immigrants.

Unfortunately many Nigerians are not prepared to be well informed about something especially when it comes to traveling while I don’t blame many if not for the situation in Nigeria.

Coming to the Uk right now is not for everyone and that is the honest truth what I mean by this is that there are some set of people whom I will not advise to come here when it comes to work.

The truth of the matter is that if you are coming here you have to do away with pride and be ready to hustle, I mean serious hustle with hard work Infact with this serious hustle if you are not careful you might not see peanut to save.

There are two major things that takes away your money here in the UK

Number 1: Tax

The Uk economy cannot be compared with that of Nigeria and over here everything is tax compared to Nigeria where you can do away with that.

This country is built on tax and the social amenities everyone is enjoying from good road, electricity are as a result of the revenue from tax

Every employer deducts tax from your wages and there is no way you can avoid it.

Number 2: Accommodation

Accommodation as become a major challenge which as made a lot of people homeless due to lack of funds to secure accommodation or unavailability of accommodation within your budget.

Brb

Now this is very enlightening. I was hoping to see silly advice like "marry oh before you come..., sex is not easy to come..., since I came this and that... ".

3 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by juman(m): 2:20pm On Jan 15, 2023
If you are doing well financially in nigeria, dont travel abroad, most likely you go cry.
One has to work very hard to get money.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Ofemmanu1: 2:21pm On Jan 15, 2023
emperorlaqrin:

How do you want to make 3k with a student visa ?

Anyway you can only work for 20hours while your wife work full time. During your schooling period you both cannot make 3k after tax and neither can your wife do a double job so the 3k is not visible.

Oga UK, your last word is wrong.

it is "Feasible" " not " Visible"

6 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by UrPapa: 2:21pm On Jan 15, 2023
henro757:

Bross I have spent over two years researching way of life in the UK . on here and other forums, people like you always come with this big word TAX, in the UK you pay Tax on your salary in the Uk you do same,you sick you go hospital for free cos you pay about £100 to £150 monthly as NI which is less than N20k, if you get ill and need an Op in Nigeria how much would you pay?if you drive you pay for MOT which is equal to road worthiness, you pay road tax which you pay here as duty, you pay insurance in 9ja it jst got multiplied by 3.Now you have not included police tax, High Nepa bills no light, You dispose your own refuse and you pay for it,U pay for water gas and electric etc, SO Pleas what tax are you NOW shouting about?
150 pounds is less than 20k
Hope say u don chop

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Zahra29: 2:22pm On Jan 15, 2023
Thortp:
A family going on a student visa may experience a very rough 1st year due to the fact that only one spouse works full time as the student can only do 20 hours.
2nd year will be okay when both spouse works full time. Even the worst is both couples earn £1,500 each after tax = £3k/month.
House rent PCM - £800 for 2bdrm apartment.
Groceries - £300 maximum.
Bills (electricity, water, gas) - £200
Internet - Home and mobile - £50
Transport - £200
Miscellaneous - £150
Balance = £1,300.
That means the couple can conveniently save £1,300 every month provided it's a low job o.

Save the £1,300 for 24 months (2years) = £31,000 that is 28million naira.
You can now take it to Nigeria and invest in something good for yourself. That's another income without working.
Now you get it

Rent and transport costs will depend on where you live and work in the UK.
Typically areas with more and higher paying jobs e.g. South east have greater demand on resources like housing and you will not find a 2 bed for anywhere near £800. Depending on where you have to travel to work, transport costs ( especially train costs) will far exceed £200 a month
Energy bills have skyrocketed
There are other mandatory bills such as council tax and depending on if you drive, road tax, car insurance etc
For young children, costs for reputable childcare can exceed £1k per child depending on location and hours
Immigration costs, including IHS, to renew their visas - a family of 4 would need at least £7k for each renewal.
The rosy picture you have painted will not be the reality for many, and people need to have realistic expectations and plan properly

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by drsibz66(m): 2:23pm On Jan 15, 2023
alphabbey1:

Still misleading..........
Give example and send the agent number... Portsmouth is outside London and my guy have been looking hopelessly for just one bedroom with £500 and still not found.....

Bros there are 2 bedroom flats for even 450. It depends on the location. 800 is VERY much available in uk but not london

2 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by damble: 2:24pm On Jan 15, 2023
alphabbey1:

That guy is obviously sugar coating the real scenario. Lol, "comfortably save 28m" in 2 years ..
Reach there first... You will know why people just use UK as a stepping stone to better countries....

Better countries like what country Broz? Can you list them?

1 Like

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by FireUpNow(m): 2:28pm On Jan 15, 2023
OP let's get there first then we will do aboki style. German german things. Any work we go do and hustle hard as long as we go get the raw pounds, Naija too rough ni. UK crew dey discourage us, let them come home and we will take their place. No time to check time

6 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by azikiweironsi(m): 2:29pm On Jan 15, 2023
alphabbey1:

Still misleading..........
Give example and send the agent number... Portsmouth is outside London and my guy have been looking hopelessly for just one bedroom with £500 and still not found.....

My brother don't stress yourself. Most Nigerian will never agree with you until they jump into point of no return.
I schooled in University of Portsmouth and can relate well. I stayed in Burnaby the student hall of residence which I can say saved me from outside accommodation.
Portsmouth is even not that cheap. Thank God I'm back to my country. There's no place like home.
Don't ask me why ? I have tasted it and I still love Nigeria. May God just give us the right leader.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by coconat(m): 2:31pm On Jan 15, 2023
Pls how about someone who is technically sound in fixing phones and laptops? Any hope for such an individual? If the services of technicians are needed as such, na to remain for naija dey hustle na. God dey...

1 Like

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Nicerazor(m): 2:32pm On Jan 15, 2023
Let me add to what the OP has said.
I will advise anyone coming to the Uk on student visa without dependent to pay 60-70% of their fees cuz you can only work 20 hours during term time and full time during holidays.
Imagine earning £200 per week that’s £800 monthly. You will feed and pay rent, electricity and other minor expenses. You wont be able to sort your school fees unless you break the 20 hours rule.

Best you come with your dependent so both of you can hustle well at least your monthly income can be £2,800 after tax ( student don’t pay tax)

Make sure you plan your accommodation well before coming or probably budget 6 months rents or you get a Uk guarantor who is a home owner. I want to move to a new apartment and my guarantors didn’t pass credit check I had to pay £4,694 for 6 months rent ( 2 bedrooms furnished apartment)
I was paying £675 per month for a studio flat when I just got into England with my family we only stayed for 5 months, I had to end my tenancy today. Will be moving to 2 bedroom tomorrow.
All in all Uk is very nice if you migrate with the right route either student or skilled worker.
Within a year you should be fine.
**if you have the money you can move your family at once.
I moved with my wife and son.
**This Uk tax thing is not that bad like people paint it oooo there are jobs here na you go even tire to work.
** I have never paid electricity bill since October as government assisted households with £400 energy rebate to help reduce high energy bill ( you use more electricity during winter)

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by mediclife1987(m): 2:32pm On Jan 15, 2023
emperorlaqrin:
The high cost of accommodation in an area like London is not what everyone can afford due to low income.

The two points I stated above are what takes the largest chunk of your wages while other things like bills, feeding , clothing to me are things one can know how to manage.

In all honesty before anyone can survive here such person must be earning nothing less than 30k pounds per annum before tax anything below that means you will be living from hand to mouth God forbid

Sadly several people here are earning less than 30k which is what makes a lot of people lament and try to advise everyone coming here of the challenges.

Those who Uk is suited for

1. Visitors

2. Skilled workers: I know many people only think skilled workers are only the doctors, nurses etc but no this set of people are those with special knowledge in there respective field including carpenters, bricklayers.

3. Hustlers: yea you heard me right. You see the truth of the matter here is that a lot of people living in the Uk do not tell Nigerians or there family members the truth and what they make them believe is that everything is rosy here.

Here in Uk any job na Job and no one can disrespect you over any job you do because there is respect for one another.

Irrespective of how educated you are and you are coming here for greener pastures be ready to hustle because unfortunately you cannot sit back and relax like in Nigeria waiting for you to land that your dream job. Bros you go wait tire Infact while waiting Na bills and house rent go pursue you to do anything available.

The situation here is a matter of what we see and not what we want as long as it’s paying the bills.

Well thank God I'm a Doctor, so this post isn't meant for me.

Expecting to earn in the range of £55k/month when I get there...

1 Like

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Intelcorei7: 2:32pm On Jan 15, 2023
emperorlaqrin:
This is going to be an honest review for those who are coming or intend coming to the Uk.

I have watched with keen interest how most People on this platform as resorted to abuse/insult on the few people who are trying to enlighten us about the challenges that are faced in the Uk.

While this Enlightenment was not meant to dissuade anyone from coming to the Uk but to prepare you of the UPS & Down faced by most immigrants.

Unfortunately many Nigerians are not prepared to be well informed about something especially when it comes to traveling while I don’t blame many if not for the situation in Nigeria.

Coming to the Uk right now is not for everyone and that is the honest truth what I mean by this is that there are some set of people whom I will not advise to come here when it comes to work.

The truth of the matter is that if you are coming here you have to do away with pride and be ready to hustle, I mean serious hustle with hard work Infact with this serious hustle if you are not careful you might not see peanut to save.

There are two major things that takes away your money here in the UK

Number 1: Tax

The Uk economy cannot be compared with that of Nigeria and over here everything is tax compared to Nigeria where you can do away with that.

This country is built on tax and the social amenities everyone is enjoying from good road, electricity are as a result of the revenue from tax

Every employer deducts tax from your wages and there is no way you can avoid it.

Number 2: Accommodation

Accommodation as become a major challenge which as made a lot of people homeless due to lack of funds to secure accommodation or unavailability of accommodation within your budget.

Brb
Thank you, but you should try to know the difference between the words "as" and "has" , "there" and "their" bro.

6 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by ipobarecriminals: 2:35pm On Jan 15, 2023
grin nonsense, I read stuff like this b4 I carried my bags entered Akron wink.Some wicked family will go and come and knack u one wicked story to discourage u from going obodo oyinbo land. Yet those Wicked people and their family refused to relocate back to motherland oh. They prefer to give u one chocolate, one singlet, if u are lucky, u fit see shoe collect. You go follow them go Airport, them go give u 20 Naira /200 to take hold body. Honestly, abroad is sweet but u must work ur a$s out doing odd work from Mon to Sun. E nor easy but with dedication and God, u go smile

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by franchasng: 2:37pm On Jan 15, 2023
Nigerians should make the mistake of voting Bola Tinubu as President next month, by then, Somali, Syria, Yemen and Afghanistan will be among the top countries Nigerians will be running to for japa because UK, Europe, US, Canada, etc would have shut their doors against Nigerians shocked

4 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by hustla(m): 2:37pm On Jan 15, 2023
emperorlaqrin:
My advice

2. If you are coming to the Uk please try and avoid coming with your family

Tbc

This is key unless you have plenty £ to spare grin

2 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by hustla(m): 2:38pm On Jan 15, 2023
mediclife1987:

Well thank God I'm a Doctor, so this post isn't meant for me.

Expecting to earn in the range of £55k/month when I get there...

Just dey play grin

4 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Herbiodun09: 2:38pm On Jan 15, 2023
Pls you ppl should not mind him o.

As nigerians you are used to sufferhead already. How u intend to survive over there is none of our business.

Most especially to those that think this place is a zoo and they need to leave at all cost.

4 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Originalsly: 2:39pm On Jan 15, 2023
henro757:

Bross I have spent over two years researching way of life in the UK . on here and other forums, people like you always come with this big word TAX, in the UK you pay Tax on your salary

I do agree with you on this. In all functioning countries... tax is a given ... it is deducted from your pay .... the percentage depends on the country and your total earnings as well as a few other factors. At the end of the day.... we deal with our take home pay .... and this is what matters. So in essence .... it should be about how well can one survive on his take home pay so no need to be lamenting on taxes.

I think one of the most common misconceptions is people migrating believe jobs are readily available ... as we can see in comments such as I can go to school and work 20 hrs Part Time while my spouse can work full time. On your own ... need to have support for at least three months for the to adapt and stand on your own two feet.

4 Likes

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Gips: 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2023
What I know for sure is that once Nigeria get it right and God Bless us with good leaders. All this foreign countries will suffer. They will be begging African countries to come and work even for FREE Visa... May God bless us with Good leader come 2023. Amen...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by uvie66: 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2023
emperorlaqrin:
The high cost of accommodation in an area like London is not what everyone can afford due to low income.

The two points I stated above are what takes the largest chunk of your wages while other things like bills, feeding , clothing to me are things one can know how to manage.

In all honesty before anyone can survive here such person must be earning nothing less than 30k pounds per annum before tax anything below that means you will be living from hand to mouth God forbid

Sadly several people here are earning less than 30k which is what makes a lot of people lament and try to advise everyone coming here of the challenges.

Those who Uk is suited for

1. Visitors

2. Skilled workers: I know many people only think skilled workers are only the doctors, nurses etc but no this set of people are those with special knowledge in there respective field including carpenters, bricklayers.

3. Hustlers: yea you heard me right. You see the truth of the matter here is that a lot of people living in the Uk do not tell Nigerians or there family members the truth and what they make them believe is that everything is rosy here.

Here in Uk any job na Job and no one can disrespect you over any job you do because there is respect for one another.

Irrespective of how educated you are and you are coming here for greener pastures be ready to hustle because unfortunately you cannot sit back and relax like in Nigeria waiting for you to land that your dream job. Bros you go wait tire Infact while waiting Na bills and house rent go pursue you to do anything available.

The situation here is a matter of what we see and not what we want as long as it’s paying the bills.

I concur, anything less than 30k, then you are struggling, even with 30k you are working on a tight budget.

1 Like

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by uvie66: 2:43pm On Jan 15, 2023
alphabbey1:

£800 for 2 bedroom apartment grin.... see this clown. Tell me you've never been to UK without telling me you've not been to UK
That is right you can get a two bed outside of London for that price.

1 Like

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by Patriotsleague: 2:43pm On Jan 15, 2023
gaby:
Okay.

We want to learn.

My honest and one simple advice to all and every on here is, if you can afford it, please, make your way out and go seek a better life for you and your family.

It isn't your fault that demons have decided to take over the country and ironically, while they take charge here, they have their kids tucked away in foreign lands giving them the best and grooming them to come back to rule you and your future kids. It is a vicious cycle.

Find your way out. When dem ready to repair this country, make dem bring their kids back make all of us do am together.

No matter how rough the UK is right now, it is still better than the farm here. I am even happy for all Nigerians to move and go Nigerianize the UK make dem reap bountifully from their farm produce in a karmaic way.

Make your move legally and launch your final push to wherever you want to end up.

For all of you shouting Emilokan, Athiefkulate, Obidatti, a very friendly and brotherly advice, make una lower una expectations.

This current administration will look like Obama's administration by the time the next one come on board.

No be curse or pessimism.

You just can't build on a zero foundation and expect it to stand.

This is sinking sand.
Save yourself, na only you waka come.

1 Like

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by arantess: 2:47pm On Jan 15, 2023
ttmacoy:
Why not just wait till you are ready to open the thread and post what you want to post?

What's the point of opening thread to say I will talk about this then go to work and leave people waiting?
cant blame him really

you have to ask how in Gods earth did a MOD see an unfinished topic and bring it to Fp? to what end?

nairaland really fell off unlike the early days
Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by GreatChizzy: 2:49pm On Jan 15, 2023
When I see posts like this talking about TAX, TAX in the UK and how difficult it is, I get surprised and suspicious if it is the same UK I have been in since 2021. UK is just like any other country where nothing is free. If you are lazy, and you think going to UK/US/Canada would be an escape; you are in for a rude awakening. A lazy man will not make it anywhere. My wife and I conveniently saved £15,000 in this same UK in 2022; this is on top of sponsoring my brother and his wife into the country and completing a house project for my father. Believe all you want, if you are lazy wether you go to UK or US or Canada you still will not succeed, and there are homeless people in US, Canada, Australia, UK and all over the world. It all depends on the individuals.

I live in Brighton, which isn't a cheap City by any standard, nicknamed "London by the Sea" for that reason.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Every UK Japa Crew by castrokins(m): 2:49pm On Jan 15, 2023
The OP Maybe Should Be Told That Our Salaries Get Taxed At Source In Nigeria. Any Product You Use In Nigeria Is Taxed As Well. It's Not A UK Thing.

Need I Tell You That While Government Returns Your Taxes In The UK, Nigeria Has Never Refunded My Tax?

And What Do They Do With Tax In Nigeria? Embezzle?

I Am More Than Willing To Live In The UK And Pay Tax Than Live In Nigeria And Pay Tax.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Lady Travels Accross Seven States Within Seven Days With A Bike. (photos) / Update On Awka Millennium City Project, Anambra State (photos) / Have You Heard About The Alien Stone Found In Sierra Leone, West Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.