Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans (4178 Views)

Buhari ‘ll Not Require Ministers To Publicly Declare Assets / Buhari Slams Iweala & Will Force Ministers To Declare Assets / Jonathan Orders CBN To Stop N5,000 Note Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by OAM4J: 7:25am On Sep 05, 2011
[size=13pt]Jonathan orders ministers to submit four-year plans[/size]

President Goodluck Jonathan has directed ministers to submit their plan of action in the next four years and how to implement the proposals. The defence of the targets set by the ministers will begin today, it was gathered. But there were indications yesterday that economic interest will also now drive the foreign policy of the Federal Government.

Investigation by our correspondent revealed that the ministers were given one week by the President to highlight their four-year plans. It was gathered that although the ultimatum expired on Friday, the ministers will begin the defence of their proposals today. To meet the deadline, most ministers spent the weekend to rub minds with their directors and heads of parastatals to fine-tune their proposals.

A source, who spoke in confidence, said: “The President actually demanded for measurable and achievable plans from all the ministers. “Their targets will also include timelines within which they will implement those programmes. “Jonathan said he will not accept the usual flat proposals which successive ministers had indulged in. He felt that having been in charge of their respective ministries in the last two months, the ministers should be able to come up with concrete and realisable plans.

“Also, he emphasised that the four-year plans of the ministers must be in tandem with his transformation agenda, which they are all conversant with now. “All ministers will now be judged by their action plans and physical evidence of the effects of these proposals on Nigerians. “Before the middle of his tenure, any minister that fail to live up to expectations will be asked to go.

Another source said: “The tall directive has put pressure on ministers, who have been working round the clock to draft measurable proposals that will fix into the transformation agenda of the President. “As a matter of fact, most ministers were at their desks at the weekend to fine-tune such proposals. They are behaving as if they are planning to write examinations. “Some of the ministers have also transferred the aggression to directors and heads of parastatals in their ministries.”

There was pressure on key ministries like Works, Education, Power, Defence, Police, Transport, Labour and Productivity, Finance, Agriculture, Water Resources, Justice, Interior, Trade and Investment, and Foreign Affairs. A presidency source added: “The President is not underrating any ministry at all. For instance, even from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, he wants a policy that will generate economic development in the country. “So, besides Africa being the centre-piece of our foreign policy, Jonathan is demanding a new focus which will lead to attraction of economic gains, especially investments that will in turn lead to mass employment.”

When contacted, about five ministers confirmed the directive in strict confidence. One of them said: “The President told us that he does not want any excuse, which was why he put in place a crack cabinet. “So, it is really time to sit up. The President wants concrete targets that will impact on the lives of Nigerians; he needs achievements that will show that the government is working.”Another minister said: “To underscore his determination, the defence of our proposals will begin on Monday (today), instead of the normal cabinet session on Wednesday.”

The modalities for the defence of the ministerial targets were kept under wrap as at the time of filing this story.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/18421-jonathan-orders-ministers-to-submit-four-year-plans.html
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by Johndoe100(m): 7:47am On Sep 05, 2011
This is how the transformation will be brought to fruition. Already there is a 150% increase in the level of power supply.

Fresh Air

Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by saintneo(m): 8:06am On Sep 05, 2011
I hope they will be sacked just like Bankers when they do not meet their targets.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by Exponental(m): 10:13am On Sep 05, 2011
saintneo:

I hope they will be sacked just like Bankers when they do not meet their targets.
hahahahaha, I think I feel ur pains.
It is nt called sack, it's called reshuffling. Lol
Nice steps though, Let hope we get a positive result from it.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by OmoTier1(m): 10:32am On Sep 05, 2011
Oh heaven! what manner of a president is this?

If Nigeria was to be viewed as a business entity, where on earth will you find a CEO/CBD asking the directors to come up with a blue print on how to turn the business entity around? Rather the CEO charts the path, with bold action plans and gets his directors to formulate 'workings' on how to navigate that path!

Jonathan continues to amaze me albeit with disgust! I thought Obasanjo in his second coming was bad, but GEJ is worse! No action plan, pervading indecisiveness and seemingly obvious lack of idea on how to fix up nigeria!

I am begining to suspect that the real reason GEJ never had shoes was not because his parent could not afford one,  maybe He just couldn't figure out how to wear them!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by blacksta(m): 10:57am On Sep 05, 2011
Johndoe100:

This is how the transformation will be brought to fruition. Already there is a 150% increase in the level of power supply.

Fresh Air

Liars will never inherit the kingdom of God - The last time i checked electricity generation was in decline - 150 % increase means PHCN generates 7500 mw ( which is a cold face LIE )

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by blacksta(m): 10:59am On Sep 05, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I am begining to suspect that the real reason GEJ never had shoes was not because his parent could not afford one,  maybe He just couldn't figure out how to wear them!

When it comes to governance GEJ runs on luck. Man is making yARadua look Good.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:10am On Sep 05, 2011
@posters beware GEJ Sycophants are at work on NL grin A 4yr plan does not mean it is keyed to work as it should. remember vision 2000, vision 2010 and now vision 202020. I hope GEJ will make these plans public. because our Culture is to keep public information secret, we only know it when it has failed woefully. Let us review these plans for feasibility sake grin
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by saintneo(m): 11:16am On Sep 05, 2011
Exponental:

hahahahaha, I think I feel your pains.
Dude, I feel the pains of our people. The ministers need to be visionaries and solution-minded people to occupy such positions.
Exponental:

It is nt called sack, it's called reshuffling. Lol
I see where you are going. However, when I say sack, I mean sack.
Exponental:

Nice steps though, Let hope we get a positive result from it.
I pray so!

Omo_Tier1:

If Nigeria was to be viewed as a business entity, where on earth will you find a CEO/CBD asking the directors to come up with a blue print on how to turn the business entity around? Rather the CEO charts the path, with bold action plans and gets his directors to formulate 'workings' on how to navigate that path!

Jonathan continues to amaze me albeit with disgust! I thought Obasanjo in his second coming was bad, but GEJ is worse! No action plan, pervading indecisiveness and seemingly obvious lack of idea on how to fix up nigeria!

I am beginning to wander how your view is viewed.

lagerwhenindoubt:

@posters beware GEJ Sycophants are at work on NL grin A 4yr plan does not mean it is keyed to work as it should. remember vision 2000, vision 2010 and now vision 202020. I hope GEJ will make these plans public. because our Culture is to keep public information secret, we only know it when it has failed woefully. Let us review these plans for feasibility sake grin
You do not need to tutor us about that; however, do not so much time in feasibility studies.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by Macavelius(m): 11:18am On Sep 05, 2011
GEJ needs to get a grip on issues which are very important to the country.
I see him more as a ceremonial president, all words and no action.
Soon we will start to see useless adverts in the dailies congratulatng him on his 100 days in office which has been a total disappointment in my opinion.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by dvee2: 11:20am On Sep 05, 2011
OK am not a Goodluck fan but this indeed is an excellent move.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by PointB: 11:21am On Sep 05, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

If you have actually worked in the formal sector, you will know that department heads are responsible for drafting proposals, plans and budget for their department, based on the business direction of the company. These draft proposals are then reviewed in line with the overall objective.

So you are out of point, kind sir.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by Johndoe100(m): 11:25am On Sep 05, 2011
blacksta:

Liars will never inherit the kingdom of God  - The last time i checked electricity generation was in decline - 150 % increase means PHCN generates 7500 mw  ( which is a cold face LIE )

Actually, this is a mix up in perception, when I speak of increase, I speak not of mega watts, I speak of actual supply that I can vouch for. I do not live by online newspapers or sahara reporters.  Let me put it this way, next door to a joint I visit regularly is a fellow whose bz is the wholesale supply of large ice blocks. Over the last few weeks the guy has been depressed due to the dropping demand for his ice blocks. He was grossing around 5,500 naira a day from this stuff. On Saturday he closed down , as he put it till the condition (when power disappears) are good.

This is reality, I am sorry that you cannot understand this. What I can assure though is that the ordinary man - who actually is the one that VOTES - KNOWS why the man closed shop.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by peleson: 11:26am On Sep 05, 2011
@Omo_Tier1, U SOUNDS LIKE A PERSON WITH NO HOPE, TELL ME THE PRESIDENT IN THE PAST THAT HAD EVER TAKEN SUCH STEP AS THIS.EVEN THE GOOD ONE,YOU CRITICIZE LIKE A WITCH, YOU ARE A FOOL, CAN U GIVE AN ADVICE ON WHAT THE PRESIDENT SHOULD DO?CAN U?A BIG BLACK FOOL WITH DIRTY BRAINS FULL OF SHITSSSSSSSSSSSS , HATER LIKE YOU.
GOOD ONE Mr PRESIDENT.TIME TO WORK, ATLEAST THEY LL NOT HAVE TIME FOR NOW THINK ON HOW TO SUCK THEIR VARIOUS MINISTRIES DRY AS IN THE PAST
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by blacksta(m): 11:26am On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

If you have actually worked in the formal sector, you will know that department heads are responsible for drafting proposals, plans and budget for their department, based on the business direction of the company. These draft proposals are then reviewed in line with the overall objective.

So where is GEJ'S business direction or overall objective.  I am very sure we have  a clear difference between building on an existing objective and asking departments to formulate their own agendas
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:28am On Sep 05, 2011
GEJ, can you kindly make these plans public, not that it is a must but it is well known that there are a good crop of technocrats that can contribute meaningfully to this present administration but are not politicians neither do they have the opportunity to serve like the ones we have in place presently. I know Aviation and Petroleum ministers need more professional input than their experience offers. Ministers please place your plans on the table at least a summary so you carry the public along
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by Builder: 11:28am On Sep 05, 2011
Jonathan na real wayo man, after 100 days in office he just wan make fellow nigerians know say e dey on top of situation, what a useless cargo
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:30am On Sep 05, 2011
peleson:

@Omo_Tier1, U SOUNDS LIKE A PERSON WITH NO HOPE, TELL ME THE PRESIDENT IN THE PAST THAT HAD EVER TAKEN SUCH STEP AS THIS.EVEN THE GOOD ONE,YOU CRITICIZE LIKE A WITCH, YOU ARE A FOOL, CAN U GIVE AN ADVICE ON WHAT THE PRESIDENT SHOULD DO?CAN U?A BIG BLACK FOOL WITH DIRTY BRAINS FULL OF SHITSSSSSSSSSSSS , HATER LIKE YOU.
GOOD ONE Mr PRESIDENT.TIME TO WORK, ATLEAST THEY LL NOT HAVE TIME FOR NOW THINK ON HOW TO SUCK THEIR VARIOUS MINISTRIES DRY AS IN THE PAST

It seems you are high on Fresh Fart Air.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by phemilive(m): 11:37am On Sep 05, 2011
This is practical bullshit,
He is just looking for something to back his incompetency up, after 100 days no plan at all,
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by PeeDaVinci: 11:40am On Sep 05, 2011
commendable, but coming very late, would have expected him to use that as the criteria for selecting/appointing his ministers - he should have conducted an interview for them asking them how they will transform Bleep if they were appointed the ministers of yyy. i'm actually thinkin this iweala's idea.

anyways, better late than never, however, i will expect jonathan to modify their plans, and give them 6 months or a yearly target based on this. Any minister should be hired, fired, promoted, demoted based on this.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by baslone: 11:55am On Sep 05, 2011
Same old PDP way! Government of Road Maps, Committees, Panels and Plans!

They are to release money to be shared amongst themselves again!
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by Kx: 12:23pm On Sep 05, 2011
It should have been the other way i.e Jonathan hands down targets and road map to his ministers (for crying out loud, they are your "appointees")
However, bottom down approach not bad too, although it could be interpreted that the man at d top does nt seem to know what he intends to achieve ab initio.
Good move all d same, at all at all naim bad pass.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
Kx:

It should have been the other way i.e Jonathan hands down targets and road map to his ministers (for crying out loud, they are your "appointees"wink
However, bottom down approach not bad too, although it could be interpreted that the man at d top does nt seem to know what he intends to achieve ab initio.
Good move all d same, at all at all naim bad pass.

No Sir!

For example: We already know what that we have a power problem. Mr President appoints a Minister for Power and asay to him:
Dear Minister, you already know that we don't have power supply. Give me your 4 year plan on how you plan to turn things around!

This is the mindset of every good leader. Haters, please think before you speak.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by badmrkt(m): 12:39pm On Sep 05, 2011
i love to hate the haters of the president,they'll never appreciate him for once,simply because they're FOOLS and their brain have been feasted upon by rebbies, maybe they'll be incullated grin grin grin, those against this move made by the president should tell us the right move the president should have made!!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by JamesDoe: 12:54pm On Sep 05, 2011
Announcing that you will announce a process to announce a plan or plans,
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by texazzpete(m): 12:55pm On Sep 05, 2011
badmrkt:

i love to hate the haters of the president,they'll never appreciate him for once,simply because they're FOOLS and their brain have been feasted upon by rebbies, maybe they'll be incullated grin grin grin, those against this move made by the president should tell us the right move the president should have made!!!!!!!

It seems you also hated your English teacher. What the heck is 'rebbies'?
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:01pm On Sep 05, 2011
texazzpete:

It seems you also hated your English teacher. What the heck is 'rebbies'?

grin grin grin grin rebbies grin incullated grin grin
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by dustydee: 2:07pm On Sep 05, 2011
Johndoe100:

This is how the transformation will be brought to fruition. Already there is a[b] 150% increase i[/b]n the level of power supply.

Fresh Air

when you are sober please correct the highlighted error.
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 05, 2011
Patience Jonathan is a Nairalander. She goes by the username- badmrkt. WATCH OUT!!!!

i love to hate the haters of the president,they'll never appreciate him for once,simply because they're FOOLS and their brain have been feasted upon by rebbies, maybe they'll be incullated   , those against this move made by the president should tell us the right move the president should have made!!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by OmoTier1(m): 2:28pm On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

It think you may be getting it wrong! I know our democracy in Nigeria is still early days, but in advanced democracies, the political  leadership comes up with the best approach he/she thinks can solve a problem with the work arounds. The civil servants busy themselves with IMPLEMENTATION!
The ministers/secretaries (as you have in the US) are suppose to supervise the implementation by the core civil servants in the ministry while much or all of the ideas/policy formulation comes from the President leadership team which in Nigeria will involve/revolve around  the office of the SFG.

Asking ministers to come up with plans shows GEJ wants to use 'expo' to pass an exam He never sat for!

What He could have done long long ago is have a serious brain storming session with his minister, draw up ideas then carry out impact assessment, thereafter draw up pseudo-frame work like statement of intent which you then throw to the press to keep them busy, while you draw the civil servants in to draw up detailed implementation strategy with specific delivery milestones and targets. This is what you then put out as part of your blue print/working document with which the citizen will hold you accountable.

In Nigeria, we like to do things the wrong way around hoping God will smile on us with a miracle!

Look at it this way;
It takes 3-6months to develop a wide scale far reaching idea into a working document. Asking ministers to come up with ideas now will mean thier ideas will only begin to see implementation towards the end of first quarter of next year.Should some of the ideas have an implementation life span of 3.5years, then with GEJ already one year into his 4years, most of the ideas will be at say 45% implementation when GEJ government handsover.

Lets face, the average challenge facing Nigeria today will require a minimum of 3years full scale implementation to have a 65% impact scale on the ordinary Nigeria. For example, none of the federal roads presently in bad shape can be fixed in 1.5years! 90% of them will require at least 3years of continuous work to make them any near international standard.

GEJ looks more a student who has never bothered studying for exams but He wants to come out first class! Typical Nigeria.

Again,I wish him well and hope he succeeds in transforming Nigeria for good even if it is 25% transformation!
Re: Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:33pm On Sep 05, 2011
Again,I wish him well and hope he succeeds in transforming Nigeria for good even if it is 25% transformation!

You are very optimistic grin 25% is a long shot, try 3%

(1) (2) (Reply)

Philanthropist Donates Toilets To Police / B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G News! Bola Tinubu Warns Defecting G-5 Governors On How To Behave / Tinubu And Fashola Clapping Admirably For The "Clueless One".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.