Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? (1262 Views)

How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? / What Did You Do To Receive The Worst Beating Your Parents Ever Gave You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by SMJay: 1:44am On Jan 13, 2023
Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child?

This was written in Dec 29, 2020 at 2:50am. I believe it relevant to Nigeria society of today, hence the repost
I have been involved in quite a number of discussions and debates of this nature where some believe that the only way to bring up children is by beating them. Others believe the opposite is true. I was brought up by parents who considered heavy handedness as a parental virtue and they never spared the rod in dealing with us... I have noticed the same pattern in our educational setting where teachers prefer to communicate their emotion via the cane.

I personally think most of such beating comes from parents' and teachers' inability to rein in their temper, rather than the genuine interest in the child's well being.

I have my little children, and it is not difficult to talk things over with them, and even set up disciplinary measures that don't involve beating.

Looking back over your shoulders, would you say the kind of beating-filled/beating-devoid upbringing you received has affected your relationship with your parents? And would you accept teachers to beat your children anyhow?

I believe I am posting this in the right section.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by superCleanworks(m): 1:48am On Jan 13, 2023
raise your own child how you like.
sit them down and talk to them if you like.
kneel down and cry in front of them if you like

but don't come here and downplay or wrong other people for giving out punishment as a consequence of bad behaviour.

Extremities in either method is what everyone should be careful about.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Rubyjade: 7:22am On Jan 13, 2023
Yes

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by beylinko02: 8:39am On Jan 13, 2023
Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

Everyone trains their own children the way they want. One thing is sure, the way you train them will determine your peace of mind when they are grown.
My parent used rod on me and I than them for it.I didn't die

Ps: I have 3 wonderful kids and they are all intelligent, well mannered and that stand out from their age mates .

5 Likes

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by TheboyGhost(m): 10:20am On Jan 13, 2023
Once they are above 8 years omoh na problem you dey create for yourself ooh.....

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by DonroxyII: 11:18pm On Jan 21, 2023
Each child receives Bespoke Treatment:

Some need cane while Some need words ..

Then there shall be General Cane for General Mistakes in order to balance the Odds !

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Mindlog: 4:48am On Jan 22, 2023
I don't believe in beating a child to instill discipline.

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by wunmi590(m): 9:35am On Jan 22, 2023
😀

When my daughter was 1year plus anytime she wants to urinate, she will just do it on her body, with small small spank on her body, she correct herself...

She's now 2years, anytime she wants to do her thing, she quickly run to her potty and finish the job there, inact she won't allow you to he her pull and wear her pant back, she will wear it properly herself....

3 Likes

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Michelle55: 12:53pm On Jan 22, 2023
I would spank my child if he acts up, other parents may do otherwise but certainly not me.

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Lamanii22(f): 6:09pm On Jan 23, 2023
Once in a while beating will suffice, it would reset their brains

2 Likes

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Lamanii22(f): 6:11pm On Jan 23, 2023
wunmi590:
😀

When my daughter was 1year plus anytime she wants to urinate, she will just do it on her body, with small small spank on her body, she correct herself...

She's now 2years, anytime she wants to do her thing, she quickly run to her potty and finish the job there, inact she won't allow you to he her pull and wear her pant back, she will wear it properly herself....
oh my daughter did this too, I gave her abara on her bum bum, she’s been going to the potty by herself now…. So a lil spank once in a while is not bad…

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by wunmi590(m): 6:16pm On Jan 23, 2023
Lamanii22:
oh my daughter did this too, I gave her abara on her bum bum, she’s been going to the potty by herself now…. So a lil spank once in a while is not bad…

That's the way to go my sister, if not, these little kid might become difficult to train when they attain a particular stage.....

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Watcharena: 6:26pm On Jan 23, 2023
wunmi590:

That's the way to go my sister, if not, these little kid might become difficult to train when they attain a particular stage.....
it's more dangerous for them to be unable to open up to you than for them to be difficult to train , eventually be at certain age you can't beat or they get used to beating
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by IyaTola: 11:45am On Jan 24, 2023
shocked
Watcharena:
it's more dangerous for them to be unable to open up to you than for them to be difficult to train , eventually be at certain age you can't beat or they get used to beating
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by KanwuliaExtra: 11:50am On Jan 24, 2023
No!
It has no effect on children of these days. It worked 50 years ago. Not in this age. Violence is never the solution to any problem. Even in prison.

Take away privileges instead. Inflicting physical pain constitutes “cruel and unusual punishment”.

Extremely savage!

5 Likes

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by lavylilly: 4:54am On Feb 24, 2023
Ah
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by yemmit90: 6:17am On Feb 24, 2023
What i've learnt so far as father is that, little kids rarely listen or yield to simple instructions. Sometimes, you need to warn them with cane, you may not actually beat them but seeing cane in your hands make them behaves well.

Kids are very stubborn, parents need to curb this silly attitude in them before their 7th birthday.

2 Likes

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Mindlog: 7:13am On Feb 24, 2023
yemmit90:
What i've learnt so far as father is that, little kids rarely listen or yield to simple instructions. Sometimes, you need to warn them with cane, you may not actually beat them but seeing cane in your hands make them behaves well.

Kids are very stubborn, parents need to curb this silly attitude in them before their 7th birthday.

Just want to pick your mind, what if you happen to be raising your kids in a Country in the West, where holding that cane alone before your children can get a social worker visiting you....how would you go about disciplining them?

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by GboyegaD(m): 8:24pm On Feb 24, 2023
I am not a fan of beating however, occasional spanking to help the child remember instructions. For the most, I believe in leading by example.

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Hathor5(f): 10:32am On Feb 25, 2023
wunmi590:
😀

This comment just made me sad. Potty training takes time and patience. Why would you expect a one year old to master it so soon? sad

3 Likes

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by dobnina(f): 11:16am On Feb 25, 2023
Lamanii22:
Lol. Actually Did same to my son and it worked.

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nnamdipapa(m): 3:50pm On Feb 25, 2023
Nope. I don't believe in child abuse
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by obinna58(m): 7:40pm On Feb 25, 2023
Beating is a sure way to make a person very useless
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by SMJay: 12:04am On Mar 04, 2023
TheboyGhost:
Once they are above 8 years omoh na problem you dey create for yourself ooh.....

Really
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by TheboyGhost(m): 6:40am On Mar 04, 2023
SMJay:
Really

Yes ....
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by kazyhm(m): 10:07am On Mar 04, 2023
People with no experience whatsoever are telling people what works and not...........

It is actually wrong to define things the wrong way just justify it is wrong........

How you mean by teachers communicate their emotion via cane? ....that is nonsense and blackmail.....
Same way one of our family friend said... beating a child is bullying them to do your bidding......she understands better now with her four years old son.......

Corporal punishment have worked in a lot of ways.......many of us are very grateful that our parents stood their ground and direct us to the right path....... through all possible means.

This your recommendation hasn't worked anywhere..........anyway, you can only condemn what has worked.....and be assuming that the contrary would be better....

2 Likes

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Pojomojo: 7:51am On Mar 05, 2023
wink
kazyhm:
People with no experience whatsoever are telling people what works and not...........

It is actually wrong to define things the wrong way just justify it is wrong........

How you mean by teachers communicate their emotion via cane? ....that is nonsense and blackmail.....
Same way one of our family friend said... beating a child is bullying them to do your bidding......she understands better now with her four years old son.......

Corporal punishment have worked in a lot of ways.......many of us are very grateful that our parents stood their ground and direct us to the right path....... through all possible means.

This your recommendation hasn't worked anywhere..........anyway, you can only condemn what has worked.....and be assuming that the contrary would be better....
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Justiceleague1: 1:20pm On Mar 05, 2023
Be careful how you do that to children....
Watchword is, don't abuse it.

I can break your head if I see you abusing your child..

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by SMJay: 12:58pm On Mar 11, 2023
shocked
Justiceleague1:
Be careful how you do that to children....
Watchword is, don't abuse it.

I can break your head if I see you abusing your child..

(1) (Reply)

Rant Over! Las Las We Go Dey Alright. / How Would You Feel If You Are Older Than Your Fiance(the Guy) / Would You Accept A Job Where You Had To Be Away From Home Living In Hotels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.