Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,367 members, 7,808,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection (30135 Views)

Anthony Ani Proclaimed New Obong Of Calabar / BREAKING: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar / Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:34pm On Jan 13, 2023
Funny, even till tomorrow, the Obong will still win over and over again... I understand that cases have to be resolved, but atimes the plaintiffs only need to read the handwriting on the wall and zukwanike

It'll take a miracle for the current Obong to lose even if the election is held fourteen times
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by ednut1(m): 8:43pm On Jan 13, 2023
Blue3k:

More power to you start the campaign where you live. I'm not sure if any of these institutions are funded by the federal government. You can correct me on that if I'm wrong.
funded by state government, who get money from federal government
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by paradigmshift(m): 8:47pm On Jan 13, 2023
ednut1:
High time we scrap these monarchs. Waste of public funds and problems
when will they scrap house of assembly n all, no be waste of public funds? Yeye
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by chukel(m): 8:51pm On Jan 13, 2023
Since 2008. So he has usurped the throne for 14yrs plus. Justice delayed is actually justice denied.
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Ance4Liverpool: 9:01pm On Jan 13, 2023
Am sure he has fallen out with the governor.
Nigerians vote wisely
Obidient is better than sacrifice
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by powerhouse3(m): 9:25pm On Jan 13, 2023
saintkeppy:
I was a witness to his coronation @Presbyterian Church in 2008, Eyamba Street, Duke Town Calabar & the traditional procession to the Obong of Calabar Palace around Nsidung Area, Henshaw Town, Calabar.

He is a Peace loving Monarch, he extends his hand of fellowship to about 5clans of Efiks who weren't active part of the Kingdom, even in selection process of Obong of Calabar.
He organize a ceremony where some Traditional Rulers from nearby Akwa Ibom State who has history With the Efiks to pay Homage to him at his Palace @Adiabo near Tinapa.
Clan Head of Idua in Oron LGA
Clan Head of Effiat in Mbo LGA
Clan Head of Atabong, who is also the Paramount Ruler of Okobo LGA
Clan Head of Oku Iboku in Itu LGA
Clan Head in Uruan LGA
All these Clan Heads are in Akwa Ibom State, they speak Efik fluently.
They always recognize&pay homage to the Obong of Calabar from time to time.
you are saying that he extend hand of fellowship to Akwa ibom...and I ask you,..if Nsom in uraun is not there on the day of coronation can obong of efik say to be legitimate?...I watch a YouTube video were ejamba clan and Akwa ibom were cast aspersions on because the the demand for thier right..now this ejamba clan are presently in efik land but they know History and want it the way it's was but alas even the iron,itu ,mbo,atabong and uraun which presently can't wear the traditional attire without being told that efik own it and I ask who was the usak edet and before the slave trade where was your home .....?
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by steeltrust: 9:30pm On Jan 13, 2023
I tell people
Obi of Agbo and oba of Benin are only the royals I respect in this country

Especially oba of Benin

The rest na Mumu
Especially that one for ileife abi na oyo when be say na so so wives dem de marry
Waste public funds any how
Dem no born that court to dethrone am after installation
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Blue3k(m): 9:32pm On Jan 13, 2023
ednut1:
funded by state government, who get money from federal government

The allocation the state receives isn't the federal government's. If you want traditional institutions gone the state government disband or reorganize them. The state legislature has that power as was seen with the Kano emirates being split. Again good luck on your mission.
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by badoh(m): 9:34pm On Jan 13, 2023
Toneypen247:
Hmmn

Supreme Court dae dethrone traditional ruler undecided

Na why Oba of Benin still pass them.
So supreme court can't dethrone Oba of Benin Are you well informed at all? Who is Oba of Benin before a court judgement, even high court can dethrone him except he appeals.
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by emilo2bad: 9:42pm On Jan 13, 2023
MarketDispatch:

Part of the Rascality Peter Obi is talking about.
Racality like ankzulu massacre
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by bizhop01: 10:29pm On Jan 13, 2023
The short governor is behind this, obong of calabar always blast his government back to back he doesn't have regards for governor

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by saintkeppy(m): 10:40pm On Jan 13, 2023
powerhouse3:
you are saying that he extend hand of fellowship to Akwa ibom...and I ask you,..if Nsom in uraun is not there on the day of coronation can obong of efik say to be legitimate?...I watch a YouTube video were ejamba clan and Akwa ibom were cast aspersions on because the the demand for thier right..now this ejamba clan are presently in efik land but they know History and want it the way it's was but alas even the iron,itu ,mbo,atabong and uraun which presently can't wear the traditional attire without being told that efik own it and I ask who was the usak edet and before the slave trade where was your home .....?

I can't really get your last question, if i may put it to you that Usakedet in present day Cameroon Republic, & Obong of Calabar cannot be coronated without the presence of a High Chief from Uruan at Efe Asabo(Python Shrine), the Uruan Chief must come from the Clan Efik people migrated from, this is the tradition laid down to this generation, yes he do extends his hands of fellowship to the chiefs from Akwa Ibom State, His Royal Majesty, Edidem Ita Edet Okokon, Clan Head of Atabong & Paramount Ruler of Okobo LGA in Akwa Ibom State has a personal relationship with the Obong of Calabar as well, those clan heads I mentioned all wear Efik attires with Ukara wrappers at their Palace, &must belong to the Ekpe Society.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by bigcasava1(m): 11:54pm On Jan 13, 2023
How dare you provoke the gods! No calabar have lost ot
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Adeiza17: 7:56am On Jan 14, 2023
Starhearts:

Wht if d car get snatch 4rm u by robbers
Who go dey responsible 4 d lost.
Me or U?
Myself
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by ITbomb(m): 8:10am On Jan 14, 2023
HazardAwka:
Our tradition in the mud, Government should not have such power
They don't

Supreme Court relied on the Constitution of the Calabar Kingdom to deliver judgment and again, no imposition was done, instead, the court ordered them to go and do the right thing

Shame on the king makers for taking traditional dispute to arbitration headed by another tribe

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Socialsunny14(m): 8:17am On Jan 14, 2023
chisomkachy:

https://dailytrust.com/breaking-supreme-court-dethrones-obong-of-calabar/
This news is a big lie, the oblong of calabar was confirm by supreme court as authentic ruler. Stop giving fake news
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Ayo8(m): 8:22am On Jan 14, 2023
Coming Soon- Supreme Court Obong
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Denoh68: 8:52am On Jan 14, 2023
nesphil:
Oh, ikang oduk Obio Efik.

MA ABASI,FIRE FROM ENEMIES OF THE LAND
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Starhearts: 9:02am On Jan 14, 2023
Adeiza17:

Myself

Lier...
U wey go run comot 4 abuja
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by vatiqan(m): 10:52am On Jan 14, 2023
iLoveYouToo:
I’m rooting for the Ex-Finance minister
Na thief you be. What do you know about Efik tradition?
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by vatiqan(m): 10:57am On Jan 14, 2023
Scamwatcher:

No Sir, he can still participate again and even win based on the judgement.
God bless you, bro. I say it with every sense of understanding, as a bonafide Efik son that if he contests 20 times, he would win 20 times. Anthony Ani is from Ikoneto Clan and this is not their turn.
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by iLoveYouToo(m): 11:28am On Jan 14, 2023
vatiqan:
Na thief you be. What do you know about Efik tradition?

The seat of the Obong has always been snatched.

I’ll just ignore your insult because we share one thing; Calabar
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by AreaFada2: 3:56pm On Jan 14, 2023
Asour:

'Usefulness' here is not an objective.

Your opinion is a bit hasty. There are potentially Violent conflicts that normal institutions may struggle with that Traditional leaders can be valuable for (Arbitration) if they are reasonable.

Secondly, Our modern 'democratic' leaders are more wasteful / petty & no better.

The person you quoted probably has no culture or is unaware of his. Politicians that set jumble pay, pension and benefits both in and out of office for themselves are those he wants us to trust entirely. Severance package for outgoing NASS members runs into billions of Naira this year. At the same time that health workers are trooping out of 9ia due to poor pay/working conditions. cheesy grin

With the rubberstamp NASS we often have, some traditional rulers act as better check and balance on State and Federal level executives than rubberstamp Ghana must go HoA or NASS.

With the snail speed of 9ja judicial system, traditional institutions settle cases that would have taken years or even decades going through the courts.

When we say Oba doesn't travel in Benin, it's for a reason. Every resident of the kingdom has a right to be heard by the palace if they have any grievances or cases against people. That has been the case for centuries. Oba has duties and responsibilities towards the people that he must fulfil first. It is not that he will not sometimes attend occasions or never leave the palace at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by chccho(m): 6:04pm On Jan 15, 2023
Sonoyom:

They will dethrone him and nothing will happen if he has done wrong.
They will even send him on exile join and, shishi no go happen. Shior!!!
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by chccho(m): 6:06pm On Jan 15, 2023
geemd434:
Next is that guy called tshola the present olu of warri. Dem go soon send him packing �����������
What has he done?
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Sonoyom(m): 6:19pm On Jan 15, 2023
chccho:

They will even send him on exile join and, shishi no go happen. Shior!!!
There will be a new Oba in few days
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by chccho(m): 10:15pm On Jan 15, 2023
Sonoyom:

There will be a new Oba in few days
Obong or Oba of Benin?
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by Sonoyom(m): 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2023
chccho:

Obong or Oba of Benin?
I was continuing the discuss in a situation where the Oba is depose.

As for the Obong he is qualified for the new selection process and he will definitely be selected by majority of the Etubom in council.
Re: Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection by chccho(m): 8:09am On Jan 16, 2023
Sonoyom:

I was continuing the discuss in a situation where the Oba is depose.

As for the Obong he is qualified for the new selection process and he will definitely be selected by majority of the Etubom in council.
Okay, I Gerrit!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / Emir Of Daura's One-year-old Daughter Turbaned Magajiya Yakumo Of Daura Emirate / Emir Sanusi To Nigerian Muslims: "Let’s Peg Marriage Age"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.