Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,433 members, 7,808,546 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels (31335 Views)

NUBIFIE Shuts Down Heritage Bank Headquarters In Lagos Over Mass Sack / Prince Arthur Eze Arrives At The Opening Of Zone 13 Police Headquarters In Style / CBN Headquarters In Abuja Currently On Fire! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by DryMouth: 4:45pm On Jan 19, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Quit social media, go and face your studies so that you have deep insights on issues wink Most of you are just poorly educated and ill mannered because you were not brought up well.

Payback time is considered as well. Over time, solar panels naturally tend to become less efficient at producing energy so the payback time may become longer.
Some panels break due to physical damage from extreme weather conditions and daily change in temperature.

Like must have been explained to you in elementary geography, the repeated uneven cooling and heat expansion of the panel in the presence of moisture will take its toll on the physical integrity of the panels.

Btw, it is imported so much forex is shipped abroad and when due for replacement, forex will be shipped abroad once again. If something happens to the panel or forex supply chain and prevents getting its panels replaced, the whole thing becomes useless to fix because we do not manufacture the panels locally.

So much advancement is going on in that field and hopefully will be a real permanent solution some day.
Stop buying 50k panel.
My bros installed 3m solar panel in his apartment since 2017, it is still very much functional till date
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Jokerman(m): 4:46pm On Jan 19, 2023
rexel99:

What's this one saying? How can solar not be the solution? The world is moving towards sustainability and sustainable practices to reduce carbon footprint. Also, organisations are tapping into their sustainability credentials as their USP and positioning strategy to drive customer engagement and their brand. You are here mouthing garbage all because you want to drop a comment.

The advantage for Sterling is not just sustainability, but the fact that this will help them drive down overhead cost in the long term because banks spend heavily on diesel and electricity. If you have been following the news, you will recall sometime last year's banks had to scale back their closing time because of their heavy expenditure on diesel.

Now, how won't this deliver real value for the bank?? I would advise you to be logical and rational, not to be typing out garbage.

You expect a follower of someone who needs electric to roast agbado, to not type garbage?

2 Likes

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by ATLIEN2027: 4:48pm On Jan 19, 2023
uuzba:

Hmm. There's a project I know where the owner wanted to be 100% offgrid.
NEPA still vexed and said he must sha buy meter and install. smiley smiley

Hope they didn't they force you to buy meter also?

Buy meter for what? I'm not connected to any NEPA pole or wire. We have no business together. I also know at least 2 other people in my situation and none have been forced to buy anything. NEPA people don't even look at my house when come around since I'm not connected to them at all. No NEPA pole or wires.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by FreeStuffsNG: 5:10pm On Jan 19, 2023
DryMouth:

Stop buying 50k panel.
My bros installed 3m solar panel in his apartment since 2017, it is still very much functional till date
Quit social media, pick up a good O 'evel physics textbook and read about "Payback time" and how it is calculated.

Most of you are ignorant and too lazy to read to acquire knowledge.smh.

Just go to school and get serious about acquiring real knowledge abeg. It is the level of ignorance you display that makes those in authority not to take you intellectually lazy youths serious. I am not a solar panel marketer spamming the thread with sales pitch o.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by slimfit1(m): 5:18pm On Jan 19, 2023
Kobonaire2023:

Biogas?
Yes

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by OurBusinessIsPr(m): 5:20pm On Jan 19, 2023
ATLIEN2027:

Buy meter for what? I'm not connected to any NEPA pole or wire. We have no business together. I also know at least 2 other people in my situation and none have been forced to buy anything. NEPA people don't even look at my house when come around since I'm not connected to them at all. No NEPA pole or wires.
you live in a cave? Lol
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Rubyjade: 5:27pm On Jan 19, 2023
MrEverest:

You guys really don't know how much things have changed. Most appliances these days are energy saving. They will certainly make use of inverter air conditioners, energy bulbs, and same goes for other appliances.

Batteries now have longer lasting capacity than before. Solar panels can last for 20 years! Since their lift will be working during the day and considering the vast number of solar panels, their won't be much drag on the batteries. Of course, they can't waste energy by using both lifts and escalators at the same time, they will go for one only.

And who told you that many firms and estates aren't using solar systems already?

You can't even compare the cost of using PHCN and generators because solar is far far cheaper in the long run. The only challenge Nigerians are facing is how to pay for the initial huge cost and lack of awareness.

I have been using solar system both at home and in the office for years now and I know how much I have saved, running into millions.
My boss has a hotel of 57 rooms, inverter ac and invert frifeg for the bar, he disconnected from NEPA 5 years ago. I use 1.5kva and I don't regret evert doing it. I enjoy unlimited power supply. No fuel wahala or generator noise or maintenance

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Rubyjade: 5:28pm On Jan 19, 2023
Kingabia1998:
Yes this is what am craving about transiting to reusable energy.
Do you have someone that can help you? If no, my brother can help you with it
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Rubyjade: 5:29pm On Jan 19, 2023
tollyboy5:

The ups and inverters that uses these panels are produced locally.

If you need a pure sine wave inverter I'll give you one from my company.

Hardware technology are not really recieving enough support from government.

We're competing with china in our country.
I don't subscribe to pure sine wave. Go for hybrid inverter
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by darediamond(m): 5:32pm On Jan 19, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
That is NAL building and Sterling bank acquired it. Solar is not a permanet solution and the bank needs to ensure that this expenditure delivers real dividends to its shareholders.
check my signature for free stuffs!
Come are you living among us here on Planet Earth or you JAWA from space?

If solar is not a permanent solution, qhy do we have more of Silicon in soil than all other solid minerals? Why is Lithium now Called the "New Crude Oil" and or "Gold".

When there are even Resonance circuit systems that allows you to power a 10kw load qith a just a mere 300W 36V Mono solar panel or even just 100W, you are there refusing to get yourself educated upto Realities on ground around the World. Nawa for you oo!

If anyone can decode the simple circuit in the attached doc., then you will be able to power your home with a single Solar Panel.

The government knows but would not allowed Solar panels that works day and NIGTH to be in the Market Globally.

However, God pass them. As long as silicon is still there in the soil earthwide, and Thunder is still striking every seconds globally to keep the Air you and I breath in and out Positively Charged 24/7 to sustain life, you can use 1 Solar Panel of 300W to power your home.

Capacitor, Earth. and High frequency diodes as well as inductors are what you need to make this possible.

Nothing is impossible.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 5:35pm On Jan 19, 2023
H
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by COMPAQ(m): 5:36pm On Jan 19, 2023
grandstar:

You were to quick to judge FreeStuffsNG

If solar power provided as much savings as you suggested, why haven't many companies adapted it? Why haven't solar farms been built to service industrial estates or even residential estates?

I am always a firm believer in research before jumping to conclusion. Solar may provide power but its quite pricey

The preferred go to for power generation are coal, gas, dams and even nuclear power. They generate power cheaply.

Solar power and wind are much more expensive and that's why many countries provide subsidies to make them competitive.

Solar power might make some sense in residential homes because the space density compared to the building is a lot. For a bungalow, if solar panels cover the roof, it may take up 30% of the building. Also energy use in a residential property is low.

But for a skyscraper, the solar panels will cover a much lower space compared to the size of the building. Also, energy consumption is very high with air-conditioning on during office hours for instance. We are yet to discuss the laptops, lifts, escalators, photocopy machines and so on. They are constantly on.

The issue needS to be research

How much does one need to invest in ones home to generate 1 kilowatt of power for instance compared to what you pay PHCN?

So you are smarter than every single person in Sterling Bank!? You think no one had done the analysis? Your think it wasn't properly specked and tendered?

3 Likes

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by leokid866: 6:11pm On Jan 19, 2023
rexel99:

What's this one saying? How can solar not be the solution? The world is moving towards sustainability and sustainable practices to reduce carbon footprint. Also, organisations are tapping into their sustainability credentials as their USP and positioning strategy to drive customer engagement and their brand. You are here mouthing garbage all because you want to drop a comment.

The advantage for Sterling is not just sustainability, but the fact that this will help them drive down overhead cost in the long term because banks spend heavily on diesel and electricity. If you have been following the news, you will recall sometime last year's banks had to scale back their closing time because of their heavy expenditure on diesel.

Now, how won't this deliver real value for the bank?? I would advise you to be logical and rational, not to be typing out garbage.
He is not wrong.....Solar is not a permanent solution and only delivers large amounts of energy when implemented on a large scale which I doubt will be done for just one building......yes a lot of businesses are going towards solar but never completely and a lot of companies that are saying we are moving towards sustainable energy or cutting down carbon in their operations are just playing lip service to look greener in rhe market, like how coke said they have stated making recycled bottles but only 4% of the bottles they made in the last two years was recyclable and they recycled less than that 4%......but feel free to rage on.....
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by leokid866: 6:14pm On Jan 19, 2023
KingOfAmebo:

The dude you replied is a confirmed urchin, urchins are brainless, they lack the capacity to think for themselves, always quick to comment and end up spewing garbage just because they want to be heard, we have a handful of them here on nairaland...grin grin grin

Go through the comments of any of the below urchin and see exactly what I am talking about, they never disappoint...grin grin grin it's like they are programmed to always say rubbish....grin grin grin

NAIRALAND RESIDENTIAL URCHINS:

lhordspy
FreeStuffsNG
Abdul05
drlateef
satan06
DevilAdvocate
I8Xtians
PandoraObi
heliues
omenkaLives
omenka
LeoDeKing
Ayamed
seunmsg
sarrki

TheChameleon
OsunOriginal
ATLIEN2027
Moh247
KingKO22
ItsTutsi
Zulum500
ASAPFERG
yarimo
JAMO84
JoshTim
TheNiceGuy
KingKO22
drlateef
Pakute
Adaisback
LegendHero
Banbutton
Thinkam
ipobarecriminals
Officialgarri
Cromagnon
BATified2023
Softmirror
ifihearam
Godispeace
SWATMan
Peepydelano
Madridguy
igbotormentor
Okealaaye
Mccullum
idealogical
Honourable1901
CoronaVirusRelo
Zulum500
Praktikals
undisputedKOC
burp18
Ireportlive
leokid866
assholemods
Pandev
brainpulse
GeneralPula
JAMO84
Obaofaba
idealogical
KingKO22
peepydelano

The below quote clearly defines urchins:

“Many are destined to reason wrongly, others not to reason at all and some to persecute those who do reason" - Voltaire
lol.....your body go soon calm down......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by leokid866: 6:16pm On Jan 19, 2023
DryMouth:

Stop buying 50k panel.
why are you lying.....
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by fishnburger: 6:57pm On Jan 19, 2023
EdwardRandy:

Na you get time to educate the monkey, everyone here knows he always leaves his brain behind before coming on naira land.

Lol! As in, you sabi this guy before?
He thinks he's talking to one of his cowed 'employees' with his 'bird's eye view' gibberish.

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by TheMostComplex1: 7:01pm On Jan 19, 2023
Unclesamo:

But why the heavy insult when he never insulted you??

seriously

I like people engaging in construction arguements without insults

Free stuff started the insults first with the below

Quit social media, go and face your studies so that you have deep insights on issues wink Most of you are just poorly educated and ill mannered because you were not brought up well
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by sacajawea: 7:29pm On Jan 19, 2023
rexel99:

That Dude is mentally sick! Leave him

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by fashrola(m): 7:32pm On Jan 19, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Quit social media, go and face your studies so that you have deep insights on issues wink Most of you are just poorly educated and ill mannered because you were not brought up well.

Payback time is considered as well. Over time, solar panels naturally tend to become less efficient at producing energy so the payback time may become longer.
Some panels break due to physical damage from extreme weather conditions and daily change in temperature.

Like must have been explained to you in elementary geography, the repeated uneven cooling and heat expansion of the panel in the presence of moisture will take its toll on the physical integrity of the panels.

Btw, it is imported so much forex is shipped abroad and when due for replacement, forex will be shipped abroad once again. If something happens to the panel or forex supply chain and prevents getting its panels replaced, the whole thing becomes useless to fix because we do not manufacture the panels locally.

So much advancement is going on in that field and hopefully will be a real permanent solution some day.

N.B: All you solar panel and inverter marketers spamming this thread and making dubious sales pitches and scientifically inaccurate claims to decieve people in order to make sales will be politely ignored by me.

Na now I know say you are a DISGRACE to your kinsmen... Your post on nairaland has never made sense before.... So GTFOH!!!?

2 Likes

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by sacajawea: 7:35pm On Jan 19, 2023
EdwardRandy:

Na you get time to educate the monkey, everyone here knows he always leaves his brain behind before coming on naira land.
Looooool
Really? Is he so bad from way back?

1 Like

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Fearyourcreator: 7:37pm On Jan 19, 2023
rexel99:

My friend, I don't live on Nairaland or the social media like jobless lots like you do.

Its unfortunate that you have failed to back up your argument with concrete facts. What a pity you are relying on market woman or beer parlour analysis to push forward your argument. You are obviously not abreast with advances in solar technology as regard the durability and lifespan of its quality materials. Am not reffering to the crap lowlifes like you are used to. Never mind I won't blame you, since you spend your whole life on the social media space, you will have little knowledge of what goes on a global scale.

Seems you are wiser than business's that are going are going solar. See the person that does his petty business on Nairaland trying to advise businesses that know what they are doing. Olodo
Lolz
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by GreaterFuture(m): 7:50pm On Jan 19, 2023
MrEverest:

I have been using solar system both at home and in the office for years now and I know how much I have saved, running into millions.
Three Questions pls
What Kind of place is the solar running, size of home and Appliances, as well as office size?

What was the initial cost, you may give me a range?

Batteries take as how much space, what's the size or number of batteries, cos I know that's key, storing power and the load of what you are using, having enough power stored and all ...

Also, do you actually never ever use generator , like at all??
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by DryMouth: 7:58pm On Jan 19, 2023
leokid866:
why are you lying.....
You dnt knw anything.
Go to elegushi and see how much people are paying to install alternative power supply in their homes.

You think life ends on Nairaland?
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by maasoap(m): 8:49pm On Jan 19, 2023
rexel99:

I believe he thought that solar power is not efficient or durable enough.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by maasoap(m): 8:53pm On Jan 19, 2023
ATLIEN2027:
I'm totally off grid when in Nigeria.
I have no business with NEPA or Generator.
Strictly Solar.

I read that windmill is more efficient and durable than solar but cost a fortune
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by leokid866: 8:59pm On Jan 19, 2023
DryMouth:

You dnt knw anything.
Go to elegushi and see how much people are paying to install alternative power supply in their homes.

You think life ends on Nairaland?
I'm not doubting people are installing alternative power in their homes, what I'm doubting is that the solar panel in your brothers house has been working since 2017......I also installed a solar system with invertef from lumec or what do they call themselves around that time, by 2019 it was barely charging the inverter anymore and I had four batteries and six panels.....if I was dependent on the solar system only God know say I no for dey get light......
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by DryMouth: 9:35pm On Jan 19, 2023
leokid866:
I'm not doubting people are installing alternative power in their homes, what I'm doubting is that the solar panel in your brothers house has been working since 2017......I also installed a solar system with invertef from lumec or what do they call themselves around that time, by 2019 it was barely charging the inverter anymore and I had four batteries and six panels.....if I was dependent on the solar system only God know say I no for dey get light......
Those lumec and MTN solar panel are for people that are on a budget, those product don't last. There are really strong and durable solar panels but it cost alot. I've been saving to install in my own apartment

3 Likes

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by ATLIEN2027: 9:35pm On Jan 19, 2023
maasoap:

I read that windmill is more efficient and durable than solar but cost a fortune
Windmill is more expensive and you need constant wind. There's a better chance of more sunlight than wind in most parts of Nigeria.
Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by MrEverest(m): 9:54pm On Jan 19, 2023
Rubyjade:
My boss has a hotel of 57 rooms, inverter ac and invert frifeg for the bar, he disconnected from NEPA 5 years ago. I use 1.5kva and I don't regret evert doing it. I enjoy unlimited power supply. No fuel wahala or generator noise or maintenance

It still baffles me why most Nigerians are suffering endlessly. Imagine buying fuel @ 350 per litre. Pouring it into the generator and trying to on it everyday. The noise, pollution and outrageous money wasted when solar power is actually a free gift of nature.

I bet you, if it's white people living in Nigeria, by now every damn roof will be covered with solar panels.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity: Sterling Bank Headquarters In Lagos Goes Off-Grid With Solar Panels by Ludakay: 10:04pm On Jan 19, 2023
Great one, I've always known Sterling bank, Fcmb, Stanbic, Access and few as a tech wise and indeed financially wise company.

I'm among one of the contractors that installed almost 150 solar panels in Sterling branch in Birnin Kebbi and you wouldn't believe me how much they pay for meter sub just within a month alone despite the countless interrupted power supply.

Their spendings on diesel is outrageous plus maintenance and repair fees. Solar energy is the future, there are flexible solar panels for those doubting if the panels last long and there's also solar panels that charges in the night and that can be powered by rain as well. All now available

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ikenna Ordor: The Nigerian Building UK's Biggest Supercar Rental Company (Video) / 15 Reasons Why You May Choose To Start A Pure Water Factory. / Which Bank Is The Most Honest Bank In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.