Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,158 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (101950 Views)

Nigerian Soccer Star, Olubayo Adefemi Dies In Car Crash / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. / List Of Nigerian Soccer Players That Back Flip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Syenite(m): 8:59am On May 05, 2013
hentosky: My brother, I respect u. But d China 85 GK was Lucky Agbons and not Lucky Okenedo. Tnx 4 refreshing our memories! U are a great guy
Yeah, think u ar right. My favourite club then was Iwuanyawu also loved ACB of Lagos. I didn't follow club football as much as national teams games. My favorite all time youth players are: Nduka Ugbade(scored goals that usually hit d roof of d net), Philip Osundo(deadly overlapping forward), Dimeji Lawal(master dribbler), Christopher Ohenhen (powerful free-kicks), Mutiu Adepoju a.k.a head master(powerful with d head)Victor Ikpeba(fast & sharp @ d wings), Nwankwo Kanu(good controling mid-fielder) Wilson Oruma (skillfull overlapping mid-fielder), Peter Anosike(clinical striker).
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by joseph1013: 9:11am On May 05, 2013
Syenite: Yeah, think u ar right. My favourite club then was Iwuanyawu also loved ACB of Lagos. I didn't follow club football as much as national teams games. My favorite all time youth players are: Nduka Ugbade(scored goals that usually hit d roof of d net), Philip Osundo(deadly overlapping forward), Dimeji Lawal(master dribbler), Christopher Ohenhen (powerful free-kicks), Mutiu Adepoju a.k.a head master(powerful with d head)Victor Ikpeba(fast & sharp @ d wings), Nwankwo Kanu(good controling

Hey, seems you really watched football in the oldies. Got a question for you: an elderly man once told me that eventhough Okocha was a master dribbler and someone that brings tricks out of nowhere, there are a few players that beat him in the 'skills' department in the oldies. And that the reason we dont know them is because their matches were not recorded. He said they were super creative with balls. Will you agree with that? And if yes, who are those players?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by joshfash(m): 6:37pm On Oct 01, 2014
Akinrolabu Folashade
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:26pm On May 17, 2015
Lalasticlala abeg help us revive this nostalgic thread.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ARROBA(m): 9:25am On May 20, 2015
Benjamin Nzeakor: Iwuanyawu Nationale
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by crownprince102: 2:03pm On May 20, 2015
Akolawole:
@NightRider

They were not forgorteen probably they are hidden from our reach.

Only yesterday i rememember Youthful Wole Odegbami taking-on a more experienced Yisa Sofoluwe in FA cup final in 1983/84.
Do you know a lot about 3SC in 80s? I want to ask some questions pls.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Airtime2pay(m): 6:03pm On May 20, 2015
FUND YOUR MERRYBET ACCOUNT IN LESS THAN 30MINS USING AIRTIME

BUY MTN DATA

UNBEATABLE PRICE

1.GB = ₦1000 BANK OR ₦1200 AIRTIME

2.GB = ₦2000 BANK OR ₦2300 AIRTIME

3.GB = ₦3000 BANK OR ₦3500 AIRTIME

4.GB = ₦4000 BANK OR ₦4600 AIRTIME

5.GB = ₦5000 BANK OR ₦5600 AIRTIME

MTN DATA BALANCE *461*7#

CONTACT US
CALL US ON: 09099849776 OR 08039495658
EMAIL US @ Support@airtime2pay
whatsapp us @08063027402

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Airtime2pay(m): 6:06pm On May 20, 2015
FUND YOUR MERRYBET ACCOUNT IN LESS THAN 30MINS USING AIRTIME

ETISALAT DATA COMING SOON

BUY MTN DATA

UNBEATABLE PRICE

1.GB = ₦1000 BANK OR ₦1200 AIRTIME

2.GB = ₦2000 BANK OR ₦2300 AIRTIME

3.GB = ₦3000 BANK OR ₦3500 AIRTIME

4.GB = ₦4000 BANK OR ₦4600 AIRTIME

5.GB = ₦5000 BANK OR ₦5600 AIRTIME

MTN DATA BALANCE *461*7#

CONTACT US
CALL US ON: 09099849776 OR 08039495658
EMAIL US @ Support@airtime2pay
whatsapp us @08063027402

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by bigsam2010: 2:18am On May 23, 2015
There is a secret of how to win a sportbet, that most stakers does not know. Most people want to win big at once, while I always take my time to calculate very well and win little day-by-day.

After all my researches and calculations, I found MERRYBET to be the best to make cool money among all other sportbet companies here in Nigeria.

Follow me on my Merrybet Link (http://www./Odds/registration/affiliate197881), create, fund your account and let us begin a cool deal.

After creating and funding your account with merrybet, try to download an ICQ CHAT on your Desktop, Laptop or mobile phone. Create an account with your merrybet username. Search for my PIN NO. 672549047 and add me

Note: Only a registered member on my Merrybet affilliate link with be accepted.

I wish you a best of luck.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by chrisooblog: 2:02pm On Aug 30, 2016
wow didn't know such a fantastic thread existed really brings back the memories. remember the great 3SC team of 95/96 that won the CAF Cup beating one ugandan club like that and lost narrowly to zamalek in the final of the sekou toure cup now called the CAF champions league. moses kpakor, peter ijeh grin, john zaki cool BCC Lions main man, chris ohenhen good player was scoring goals for fun in the spanish la liga in the early 90s but couldn't get a call up to the super eagles, same for mike obiku and owobokiri doing their thing in feyernord and boavista respectively.

thegoodjoe, icons4, supernerd etc this is a great thread to visit. naija was blessed with so many players who never broke into the national team on a consistent basis.

forgiveness you are also invited to checkout this thread you will see that most home based players had been balling way before foreign born nigerians came into the equation.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:37pm On Aug 30, 2016
chrisooblog:
wow didn't know such a fantastic thread existed really brings back the memories. remember the great 3SC team of 95/96 that won the CAF Cup beating one ugandan club like that and lost narrowly to zamalek in the final of the sekou toure cup now called the CAF champions league. moses kpakor, peter ijeh grin, john zaki cool BCC Lions main man, chris ohenhen good player was scoring goals for fun in the spanish la liga in the early 90s but couldn't get a call up to the super eagles, same for mike obiku and owobokiri doing their thing in feyernord and boavista respectively.

thegoodjoe, icons4, supernerd etc this is a great thread to visit. naija was blessed with so many players who never broke into the national team on a consistent basis.

forgiveness you are also invited to checkout this thread you will see that most home based players had been balling way before foreign born nigerians came into the equation.

Bright Nigerian home League talents I knew in 2000 Era were

Kelechi Osunwa. Started at Bright Stars Academy in Port-Harcourt. I think he won the golden boot in the Nigerian League before he left the country. He played for Coach Musa Abdullahi when he coached Dolphins.

Kelechi signed 3 years with Al Ahly Shendi in Sudan in the last of 2014 he is the highest alltime topscorer of Sudan premier league with 137 goals.

Kelechi scored 104 goals in 167 games with almerikh . He is the all time top scorer in 2012 with 40goals in 51 games.

Bright Stars Academy Office was in D-Line near where I stayed. I had friends who played for them. None of us doubted Kelechi Osunwa would lead the Super Eagles attack. It is a mystery how such a brilliant talent did not make it. A sharp finisher.

He hardly played in a league where he was not the top scorer. In Nigeria and in Sudan.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by chrisooblog: 2:50pm On Aug 30, 2016
sad the high number of potential super eagles players who never made it. there was this guy too forgotten his name was a pocket rocket of a striker. short and stocky kind of like shaqiri but with less skill. played for enyimba but later moved to one top flight sudanese club. heard he was let go haven't heard about him since. david tyakase former enyimba striker helped them win back to back CAF champions league titles.

TheGoodJoe:

Kelechi Osunwa. Started at Bright Stars Academy in Port-Harcourt. I think he won the golden boot in the Nigerian League before he left the country. He played for Coach Musa Abdullahi when he coached Dolphins.

Kelechi signed 3 years with Al Ahly Shendi in Sudan in the last of 2014 he is the highest alltime topscorer of Sudan premier league with 137 goals.

Kelechi scored 104 goals in 167 games with almerikh .he is the time top scorer in 2012 with 40goals in 51 games.

Bright Stars Academy Office was in D-Line near where I stayed. I had friends who played for them. None of us doubted Kelechi Osunwa would lead the Super Eagles attack. It is a mystery how such a brilliant talent did not make it. A sharp finisher.

He hardly played in a league where he was not the top scorer. In Nigeria and in Sudan.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:54pm On Aug 30, 2016
Another player who I expected to excel in Nigeria was Abdulrasheed Ajagun.

I first saw him on an NTA televised Tournament final. The Shell Cup. A secondary school competition all over Nigeria.

He was already the top scorer going into the final. There was a hefty price tag for the golden boot winner. There was another price tag for the highest goal scorer in the final game.

Papers already went Gaga about the boy's talent and in the final, Abdulrasheed Ajagun did not fail. He put a fine display in the final game and scored a brilliant hat trick. I can not remember the name of his school but they played a Rivers State team in the finals. Oinkrama Grammar School. Not sure of the spelling but that is the pronunciation.

He had an unfair treatment in the U17 African Championship camp and the coach did not play him in the tournament until the third match. By then we were knocked out and had not scored a goal.

Ajagun came in and scored the only goal for Nigeria in that tournament.

He joined Giwa FC and won the highest goal scorer in the local League.

A puzzling case of a true brilliant player,with top quality who never made the Super Eagles team.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:08pm On Aug 30, 2016
chrisooblog:
sad the high number of potential super eagles players who never made it. there was this guy too forgotten his name was a pocket rocket of a striker. short and stocky kind of like shaqiri but with less skill. played for enyimba but later moved to one top flight sudanese club. heard he was let go haven't heard about him since. david tyakase former enyimba striker helped them win back to back CAF champions league titles.

Imagine that I can not even find anything on Emmanuel Aniele on Google.

He was a brilliant striker, and part of the AYC squad of Nigeria in 1999.

That team lost to Ghana in the final and NFF showed their talent by dropping some key players in the team. Their best striker Emmanuel Aniele lost his place.

The next time I saw followed him was in COJA 2003 in Abuja. The All African games.

Aniele was part of the Musa Abdullahi's brilliant squad (same Dolphins coach) that flogged a lot of teams in that competition.

Another mysterious case of an exceptional talent not making it to the Super Eagles team.

Abubakar Musa was the captain of the Nigerian team in the AYC in 1999. The same team with Emmanuel Aniele.

In the competition, Abubakar Musa wore the ten shirt also. Rated higher than Seydou Keita in that competition. Due to the NFF stunt, Abubakar Musa lost his captain band to Rabiu Afolabi.

Sad for him, he injured before the tournament, Nigeria '99 World Youth Championship. Where the likes of Forlan, Chevanton, Ronaldinho, Xavi, Cassilas, Takahara, Seydou Keita, Edu, Mancini, Cambiasso, Machen, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Ikedia, Aghahowa excelled.

Our bright talent, Abubakar Musa played with injury and could not make impact. It was down hill from there, even though he had a brilliant time at Dolphins with Coach Musa Abdullahi.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:18pm On Aug 30, 2016
Greg Etafia aka New Peter Rufai, Imma Issah and Sunday Ibeji.

The guys played for Lobi Stars back in 1999. The Lobi Stars team were young. If you see their faces then, you will marvel.

These guys were good and played part in Nigeria qualifying for the Sidney 2000 Olympics.

In the final game of the qualifiers, we needed to win by four goals to qualify. We faced Clemence Westerhof who coached Zimbabwe then and we won that game four nil.

Sunday Ibeji was the creative midfielder of the team. He wore the ten shirt and was brilliant.

The goal of the qualifiers came from an Ibeji assist. An overhead long ball to the wing. Imma Issah who was left footed smashed the ball from the wing into the post. Roberto Carlos style.

The winning goal was from the little genius, Pius Ikedia.

Bonfere Jo dropped Ibeji and Issah for the Sidney 2000 Olympics. They did not get the exposure and I did not hear much about these young brilliant players.

Greg Etafia got selected by Coach Bonfere Jo and I think he still keeps today at South Africa.

Mystery Sunday Ibeji and Imma Issah did not make it to the top. More shocking that Greg Etafia did not reign as Super Eagles number one goalkeeper.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by forgiveness: 3:46pm On Aug 30, 2016
chrisooblog:

Bros, thanks for remembering me oooo. grin

I wanted to take some time out from sports section small before I come back with ferocious force. grin Una no na. grin

About 'home based players been balling' 'then ooo', I will say the difference between our league now and then na like seven up. 'the difference is clear'

The quality of the league then can't be compared with now. There was quality, I mean quality when it comes to the League then. And that was why the stadium is always filled to the brim during league matches. And there was this passion and patriotism noticed with fans which you can't see in any Nigerian today. That alone makes our boys focus all their mind on playing abroad.

I know that because I have seen league matches live at the National stadium in the 80s and now. The fans were crazy. But nau mtcheeeeeeeee!
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by chrisooblog: 4:14pm On Aug 30, 2016
you are always welcome bro smiley

great to have you back (hopefully with less unending arguments grin)

well can't say for sure if the difference between then and now was that pronounced. for me the late 70s to the mids 80s culminated in the golden age of nigerian league football but it was in the 90s that the senior national team became a force to be reckoned with. even though i might have been young but i definitely remember our league still being poor in the 90s

forgiveness:

Bros, thanks for remembering me oooo. grin

I wanted to take some time out from sports section small before I come back with ferocious force. grin Una no na. grin

About 'home based players been balling' 'then ooo', I will say the difference between our league now and then na like seven up. 'the difference is clear'

The quality of the league then can't be compared with now. There was quality, I mean quality when it comes to the League then. And that was why the stadium is always filled to the brim during league matches. And there was this passion and patriotism noticed with fans which you can't see in any Nigerian today. That alone makes our boys focus all their mind on playing abroad.

I know that because I have seen league matches live at the National stadium in the 80s and now. The fans were crazy. But nau mtcheeeeeeeee!
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by edi287: 5:28pm On Aug 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Kelechi scored 104 goals in 167 games with almerikh .he is the time top scorer in 2012 with 40goals in 51 games.

Wasn't he the one that got dropped from either the U17 or U20 sometime around 03 due to age cheating allegations My elder bro was a huge fan of his back then.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 5:39pm On Aug 30, 2016
[code][/code]
chrisooblog:

Wow! This great thread is back! I was part of it with my earlier moniker: syenite.
Where did all the great guys that started this thread go?

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by edi287: 5:40pm On Aug 30, 2016
Manasseh Ishiaku - Scored against Madrid I think and had good stints at Brugge and Duisburg. Vogts had a hard on for him and Toto Tamil then.
Eromoigbe : played for the Golden Eaglets and SE.Accused of using a different name to play in age grade competition.
Aranka: don't know much about him. Just remember everyone at home mentioning his name whenever he had the ball.
Issac Okronkwo: Flopped at Wolves. Solid for SE
Christian Obodo: aka "bundle of skills".
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 5:41pm On Aug 30, 2016
Syenite:
Let me name from graduates of the past youth teams since 1985(when I started watching football):

Victor Igbinoba (eaglet China '85)
Sani Adamu (eaglet China '85)
Lucky Okonedo(goal keeper eaglet China '85)
Jonathan Akpoborie(eaglet China '85)
Peter Ogaba(eaglet Canada '87 & Flying eagles Saudi '89)
Christ Nwosu(eaglet Canada '87 & Flying eagles Saudi '89)
Phillip Osondu(eaglet Canada '87 & Flying eagles Saudi '89)
Taiwo Enegua(eaglet Canada '87)
Oladimeji Lawal(eaglet Canada '87 & Flying eagles Saudi '89)
Babajubril Babalola(eaglet Canada '87)
Lemi Isa(goal keeper eaglets Canada '87)
Etim Esin(Flying eagles Chile '87)
Williams Okpara (Goal Keeper Flying Eagles Chile '87)I remember how Brazil beat Nigeria 4-0! in our first game.
Christopher Ohenhen(Flying eagles Saudi '89)
Angus Ikechi(Goal keeper Flying eagles Saudi '89)
Emeka Amadi(2nd GK Flying eagles Saudi '89)remember the role he played in that game against USSR: From 0-4 to 4-4 and penalties(miracle of Damam)
Mike Onyemachara(Flying eagles Saudi '89)
Samuel Elijah(Flying eagles Saudi '89)
Wilfred Agbonavbare(Goal Keeper Olympic team Seoul '88)-Agbonabasket fame.I remember we lost 4-0 to Brazil in that 1st game.
David Ngodigha(2nd GK Olympic team Seoul '88)-He was brought-in in the 2nd game against Yugoslavia and we lost 3-1.
Samuel Okparaji-RIP(green eagles maroc '88 & olympic team '88)
Bright Omokaro (Green Eagles Maroc ‘88)
Ndubuisi Okesieme (Green Eagles Maroc ‘88)
Wole Odegbami (Green Eagles Maroc ‘88)
Jide Oguntunwase (Eaglets Scotland ’89)
Olusegun Fetuga (Eaglet Scotland ’89)
John Zaki (Eaglet Scotland ’89 & All African Games Cairo ’91)
Bobolayefa Edon(Eaglet Scotland ’89 & All African Games Cairo ’91)
Precious Monye (Eaglets Scotland ’89)
Andrew Aikhomogbe( Goal Keeper Eaglet Scotland ’89)
Friday Elahor (Green Eagles Algiers ’90)
Moses Kpakor (Green Eagles Algiers ’90)
Chinedu Anazonwu (All African Games Cairo ’91)
Felix Aladesanmi (All African Games Cairo ’91)
Peter Ikechukwu Anosike (Eaglet Japan ’93)
Festus Odini (Eaglet Japan ’93)
Karibe Ojigwe (Eaglets Japan ’93, Dream Team1 Atlanta 96, later played for Super Eagles late 90s)
Mubi Okparaku (Eaglet Japan ’93,Dream Team1 Atlanta 96, later played for Super Eagles prior France 98).Friendly against Yugoslavia spoilt his Career.
Mohammed Manga (Eaglet Japan ’93)
Charles Okonebor (Goal Keeper Eaglets Japan ’93)
Emmanuel Babayaro (2d Goal Keeper Eaglet Japan ’93, 2nd GK Dream Team 1 Atlanta 96 )
Gabriel Okolosi (battling to break into the Super Eagles of the early 90s)
Efan Ekoku (expected to be better than Yekini only to flop at CAN ’94)
Mike Emanalor (Super Eagles USA ’94) Currently in Chelsea coaching crew
Olumide Haris ( AYC Nigeria ’95)
Kingsley Amuneke a.k.a Ecuador (Eaglets Ecuador ’95)- my child-hood friend & younger brother to Emmanuel Amuneke
Edward Anyankim (not sure of the spelling) (Eaglets Ecuador ’95)
Blessing Anyanwu(Eaglets Ecuador ’95)
Kingsley Obiekwu (Dream Team 1 Atlanta Olympics ’96)
Dosu Joseph (Dream Team 1 Goal Keeper Atlanta ’96)
Teslim Fatusi (Dream Team 1 Atlanta ’96)
Gbenga Okunowo (Flying Eagles ’97) Later played for Barcelona FC
Julius Aghahowa (Flying Eagles Nigeria ’99; Dream Team 2 Team Sydney 2000; Super Eagles WC Korea/Japan 2002;CAN ’02, ‘04, ’06)
Pius Ikedia (Flying Eagles Nigeria ’99, Dream Team 2 Sydney 2000, Later played shortly for Super Eagles)
Haruna Babangida (Flying Eagles Nigeria ’99, Dream Team 2 Sydney 2000)
Shittu *Forgonten his first name*(Flying Eagles Nigeria ’99)
Azubuike Oliseh (Dream Team 2 Sydney 2000)
Ogbonna Kanu (Dream Team 2 Sydney 2000)
Femi Opabunmi (Eaglets T &T 2001, Super Eagles Korea/Japan 2002, Dream Team 3)Onigninde prematurely killed his promising Career
Segun Abiodun (Eaglets T&T 2001 & Dream Team 3)
Victor Brown (Eaglets T &T 2001)
Temile Omonigho (Eaglets T & T 2001)
Justice Christopher (Flying Eagles 2001, Super Eagles WC Korea/Japan ’02, Dream Team 3)
Christian Obodo (Flying Eagles 2001, Super Eagles 03-06)
Batholomew Ogbeche(Flying Eagles 2001, Super Eagles WC Korea/Japan 2002)
Zenken Tyewase (Eaglets 2005,Flying Eagles ’07)
Ezekiel Bala(Eaglets Norway ’03 & Flying Eagles ’07)
Emmanuel Sarki(Eaglets Norway ’03 & Flying Eagles ’07)
David Solomon Abwo(Flying Eagles Holland ’05)
John Owoeri (Flying Eagles Holland ’05)
Macauley Krisantus(Eaglets Korea ’07)
Kabiru Akinsola(Eaglets Korea ‘07
Daniel Joshua (Eaglet Korea ’07)
Edile *Forgoten his 1st name*(Eaglets Korea ’07)
Sani Keita (Flying Eagles Holland ‘05, Dream Team 4 Beijing ’08, Super Eagles WC SA ’10) grin
Yakubu Ayegbeni(Dream Team 2 Sydney 2000, Super Eagles CAN ’04,’08,’10 WC SA ’10) grin

My contribution from 2011. I have more players to add to that list grin

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 5:50pm On Aug 30, 2016
joseph1013:

Hey, seems you really watched football in the oldies. Got a question for you: an elderly man once told me that eventhough Okocha was a master dribbler and someone that brings tricks out of nowhere, there are a few players that beat him in the 'skills' department in the oldies. And that the reason we dont know them is because their matches were not recorded. He said they were super creative with balls. Will you agree with that? And if yes, who are those players?
Question directed to Syenite = icon4s. wink

Okocha to me remains the best creative midfielder we have ever had.

Midfielders that came close were Etim Esin and Henry Nwosu. I watched Esin and Nwosu play in the 1980s, but Okocha was better than them.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:53pm On Aug 30, 2016
edi287:

Wasn't he the one that got dropped from either the U17 or U20 sometime around 03 due to age cheating allegations My elder bro was a huge fan of his back then.

Wow. That just explained how Coach Musa Abdullahi met Kelechi Osunwa.

He was not much over the age. He was about 19 then because he did not finish secondary school at that time.

He left the camp disappointed. That was the Femi Opabunmi, Keeper Akpan Bassey who was also a Bright Stars academy graduate, Temile and Victor Brown.

After that Osunwa went to Uniport Remedial and did well playing football then.

Nice that his U17 Coach, Musa Abdullahi became his coach at Dolphins.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by joseph1013: 5:54pm On Aug 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Midfielders that came close were Etim Esin and Henry Nwosu. I watched Esin and Nwosu play in the 1980s, but Okocha was better than them.

Chai...we don tey for this site o. LOL

2 Likes

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:02pm On Aug 30, 2016
Icon4s:

My contribution from 2011. I have more players to add to that list grin

Emmanuel Babayaro was number 1 GK in 1993 U17. He was also number one of the Olympics team in Harare '95 all African games until he injured. Then Abiodun Baruwa replaced him.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:10pm On Aug 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Did you get to watch any of Emmanuel Ebiede's games with Sharks under Coach Sinclair.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by enomakos(m): 8:02pm On Aug 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Another player who I expected to excel in Nigeria was Abdulrasheed Ajagun.

I first saw him on an NTA televised Tournament final. The Shell Cup. A secondary school competition all over Nigeria.

He was already the top scorer going into the final. There was a hefty price tag for the golden boot winner. There was another price tag for the highest goal scorer in the final game.

Papers already went Gaga about the boys talent and in the final, Abdulrasheed Ajagun did not fail. He put a fine display in the final game and scored a brilliant hat trick. I can not remember the name of his school but they played a Rivers State team in the finals. Oinkrama Grammar School. Not sure if the spelling but that is the pronunciation.

He had a unfair treatment in the U17 African Championship camp and the coach did not play him in the tournament until the third match. By then we were knocked out and had not scored a goal.

Ajagun came in and scored the only goal for Nigeria in that tournament.

He joined Giwa FC and won the highest goal scorer in the local League.

A puzzling case of a true brilliant player. With top quality who never made the Super Eagles team.
i think the school was Grays international kaduna

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:25pm On Aug 30, 2016
enomakos:
i think the school was Grays international kaduna

I do not remember the name but it was a Kaduna school.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by enomakos(m): 9:16pm On Aug 30, 2016
enomakos:
julius aghahowa pius ikedia
i was here in 2011 how time fly
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by enomakos(m): 9:16pm On Aug 30, 2016
enomakos:
julius aghahowa pius ikedia
i was here in 2011 how time fly
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 9:23pm On Aug 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Emmanuel Babayaro was number 1 GK in 1993 U17. He was also number one of the Olympics team in Harare '95 all African games until he injured. Then Abiodun Baruwa replaced him.

Yeah . Must have been a Mix up. But I think Emma OKhenoboh was in goal in that final against Ghana. Not so sure though.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 9:39pm On Aug 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Did you get to watch any of Emmanuel Ebiede's games with Sharks under Coach Sinclair.

Ah. Just like asking a youth of today if he followed Junior Ajayi when he was at 3SC.

The first time I knew Emmanuel Ebiede was when he featured at the 1995 AYC. He was one of two players that were really hyped going into that tourney. The other player was Olumide Haris-highest goal scorer in the Nigerian league then.

I never followed Ebiede at club level when e be say players like Kanu, Ikpeba, Amuneke, Amokachi, Finidi, Babayaro, Oruma and d likes were doing wonders in Europe.

As I said before it is just like asking a youth of today if he followed Junior Ajayi or Etebo at Warri wolves when all attention were on Iheanacho, Ighalo, Success, Iwobi, Musa and co hu are blazing the trails in Europe.

As at mid 90s a lot of people, especially the youth, had started shifting interest to European leagues already.

I only followed d local league in the late 80s up to may be early 90s. In fact u just reminded me now that Ebiede played for sharks and Monday Sinclair was the coach then. I was then more conversant with clubs and players around Lagos. E.g. ACB, stationery stores, Julius Berger,,New Nigerian Bank, Leventis. I also loved Iwuanyawu nationale because it was then my home state club.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua’s Punch Cut Andy Ruiz In Left Eye In Rematch (Photos) / Messi Shaves His Beard As Enthusiastic Barca Stars Train Before La Liga Return / Nigeria Vs Algeria CAF U23 Championship Finals (2 - 1) On 12th December 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.