Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,549 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (101853 Views)

Nigerian Soccer Star, Olubayo Adefemi Dies In Car Crash / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. / List Of Nigerian Soccer Players That Back Flip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by enomakos(m): 9:44pm On Aug 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I do not remember the name but it was a Kaduna school.
it is grays int

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 9:45pm On Aug 30, 2016
teeroy:
Sunday Oliseh will be back in the eagles mix one day in one capacity or the other, we haven't heard the last of him.I firmly believe that.

Hmmm..this prophesy was made on 29th March, 2007.

Baby Lawyer the prophet.

2 Likes

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:29pm On Aug 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Yeah . Must have been a Mix up. But I think Emma OKhenoboh was in goal in that final against Ghana. Not so sure though.

Emmanuel Babayaro, certainly in the list of Nigerian players that fell off. So much promise and leadership. Same goes to Abiodun Baruwa. I remember Babayaro injuring in Harare and Abiodun Baruwa coming in and saving all three penalties.

I watched a CAF Champions League game of Baruwa saving three penalties while he was at a South African club.

I was unfortunate not to watch Ebiede but his influence in the game of Football in Port-Harcourt was massive. He had followers who tried playing like him. He was a master at spraying passes using his outer foot like Rosicky.

I did not watch him when he was young. I actually only watched him once in a training game in 2001. When Super Eagles was to play Ghana at Liberation stadium Port-Harcourt.

I will later upload one or two warm up pictures.

In that training game, Ebiede was on fire. Come and see dribbling. Catching Taribo and Uche. I understood why he got the nickname waist breaker. That was one talent I missed out watching.

Funny part is that I was in Port-Harcourt when he was young.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by goldfish80(m): 5:34am On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Bright Nigerian home League talents I knew in 2000 Era were

Kelechi Osunwa. Started at Bright Stars Academy in Port-Harcourt. I think he won the golden boot in the Nigerian League before he left the country. He played for Coach Musa Abdullahi when he coached Dolphins.

Kelechi signed 3 years with Al Ahly Shendi in Sudan in the last of 2014 he is the highest alltime topscorer of Sudan premier league with 137 goals.

Kelechi scored 104 goals in 167 games with almerikh .he is the time top scorer in 2012 with 40goals in 51 games.

Bright Stars Academy Office was in D-Line near where I stayed. I had friends who played for them. None of us doubted Kelechi Osunwa would lead the Super Eagles attack. It is a mystery how such a brilliant talent did not make it. A sharp finisher.

He hardly played in a league where he was not the top scorer. In Nigeria and in Sudan.

I just had to comment when I saw you mention the name Kelechi Osunwa. He used to be a handy striker for Dolphins. When he left for Sudan, I honestly thought it was a stop-gap move for him but its unfortunate he couldn't find his way out from there as quickly as possible. Last I heard any news about him was Sudan offering him citizenship to represent them, I guess that process didn't work out because he has already had a few caps for Nigeria.

The Nigerian league within a short period lost its best players to clubs in Sudan. Guys Like Osunwa, Eze, efosa eguakun, Endurance Idaho(Rip) and later Steve Nworgu. These four guys easily would have walked into the National team had they been playing in Europe.
It's worthy of note, they played in an era we had below average players like Abbey George, Ifeanyi Ekwueme and the likes held sway.

I wept bitterly when I heard of Endurance Idaho's demise. I remember the blinder of a goal he scored in the cAf winners cup finals against Etoile du Sahel,which was nominated on the Caf goal of the year. Julis Berger lost the return leg in Souse when my hood guy Ogochukwu obiakor scored a brace in the 3:0 reverse.
Of the Idaho brothers, Endurance was the pick of the pack. Unfortunately, he never made it to Europe but instead died right there on the pitch in Sudan. What an enigma.

Another I would like to mention is Binagwari(spellling) George (Rip), Finidi gorges younger brother was another prodigiously talented footballer. While coming up, many people who saw him rated him highly. He was far more skillful than Finidi will ever be. He went past people like they were training cones. He died while trying out for a club in Europe. However. He was quite behold to watch durring his short career.

Finally, one of the best goalies to have ever graced the Nigerian league but never played for the super eagles, the enigma himself, Sam okoye. He was between the sticks for the flying eagles at Nigeria 99.
The story was that a young Vincent Enyeama then playing for Ibom stars attended the Nigeria 99 tryouts. While in camp, he simply packed his bags and suit cases when Sam okoye arrived.
Okoye was like the love child of Oliver Khan/Jose chilavette, he could dribble, pass and start attacks from his position as a GK. Pep Guardiola would have loved him certainly. By a country mile, he was the best goalie in the league.
There was a particular league game he scored from his own half of the pitch. He was insanely talented

It was heart breaking when he died while trying out for a club in Iran. Am still puzzled till date what exactly made him take the decision to leave for Iran. Many people believed it was out of frustration, having seen guys like Etafia, Enyeama and Ejide who he was a good few yards ahead of, getting call ups to the national team while he was ignored.
Alot of league watchers were left scratching their heads each time Sam okoye was passed over by Christian chukwu and Eguavoen.

Thank God the Nigerian league is being gradually repositioned. A lot of our best players over the years died mysterious deaths on their pursuit for greener pastures in obscure countries.
Rip Sam okoye and the rest of them.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 6:36am On Aug 31, 2016
goldfish80:

I just had to comment when I saw you mention the name Kelechi Osunwa. He used to be a handy striker for Dolphins. When he left for Sudan, I honestly thought it was a stop-gap move for him but its unfortunate he couldn't find his way out from there as quickly as possible. Last I heard any news about him was Sudan offering him citizenship to represent them, I guess that process didn't work out because he has already had a few caps for Nigeria.

The Nigerian league within a short period lost its best players to clubs in Sudan. Guys Like Osunwa, Eze, efosa eguakun, Endurance Idaho(Rip) and later Steve Nworgu. These four guys easily would have walked into the National team had they been playing in Europe.
It's worthy of note, they played in an era we had below average players like Abbey George, Ifeanyi Ekwueme and the likes held sway.

I wept bitterly when I heard of Endurance Idaho's demise. I remember the blinder of a goal he scored in the cAf winners cup finals against Etoile du Sahel,which was nominated on the Caf goal of the year. Julis Berger lost the return leg in Souse when my hood guy Ogochukwu obiakor scored a brace in the 3:0 reverse.
Of the Idaho brothers, Endurance was the pick of the pack. Unfortunately, he never made it to Europe but instead died right there on the pitch in Sudan. What an enigma.

Another I would like to mention is Binagwari(spellling) George (Rip), Finidi gorges younger brother was another prodigiously talented footballer. While coming up, many people who saw him rated him highly. He was far more skillful than Finidi will ever be. He went past people like they were training cones. He died while trying out for a club in Europe. However. He was quite behold to watch durring his short career.

Finally, one of the best goalies to have ever graced the Nigerian league but never played for the super eagles, the enigma himself, Sam okoye. He was between the sticks for the flying eagles at Nigeria 99.
The story was that a young Vincent Enyeama then playing for Ibom stars attended the Nigeria 99 tryouts. While in camp, he simply packed his bags and suit cases when Sam okoye arrived.
Okoye was like the love child of Oliver Khan/Jose chilavette, he could dribble, pass and start attacks from his position as a GK. Pep Guardiola would have loved him certainly. By a country mile, he was the best goalie in the league.
There was a particular league game he scored from his own half of the pitch. He was insanely talented

It was heart breaking when he died while trying out for a club in Iran. Am still puzzled till date what exactly made him take the decision to leave for Iran. Many people believed it was out of frustration, having seen guys like Etafia, Enyeama and Ejide who he was a good few yards ahead of, getting call ups to the national team while he was ignored.
Alot of league watchers were left scratching their heads each time Sam okoye was passed over by Christian chukwu and Eguavoen.

Thank God the Nigerian league is being gradually repositioned. A lot of our best players over the years died mysterious deaths on their pursuit for greener pastures in obscure countries.

Good memory of players from that era.

Did you mean Igineware George, a former youth international and brother to Finidi George? He was killed by irate 3SC fans when Enugu Rangers went to play a league game in Ibadan.

U also just reminded me of that player called Endurance Idaho. I think he played for either Julius Berger or Dolphins or both. A great talent.

Talking about Sam Okoye. At that U20 he was like a wall. So very solid. Ike Shoroumu was Nigeria's number1 goalie up to 2002. I see no reason y Enyeama and Ejide were invited ahead of Okoye. Okoye was at Enugu Rangers, Enyeama was at Enyimba and Ejide was at Etoile Du Sahel. These 3 guys were the best in our land at that time and Okoye as at then was ahead of them . Enyeama and Ejide progressed more while Okoye was stagnated until he went to the middle east where he died.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 6:43am On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Emmanuel Babayaro, certainly in the list of Nigerian players that fell off. So much promise and leadership. Same goes to Abiodun Baruwa. I remember Babayaro injuring in Harare and Abiodun Baruwa coming in and saving all three penalties.

I watched a CAF Champions League game of Baruwa saving three penalties while he was at a South African club.

I was unfortunate not to watch Ebiede but his influence in the game of Football in Port-Harcourt was massive. He had followers who tried playing like him. He was a master at spraying passes using his outer foot like Rosicky.

I did not watch him when he was young. I actually only watched him once in a training game in 2001. When Super Eagles was to play Ghana at Liberation stadium Port-Harcourt.

I will later upload one or two warm up pictures.

In that training game, Ebiede was on fire. Come and see dribbling. Catching Taribo and Uche. I understood why he got the nickname waist breaker. That was one talent I missed out watching.

Funny part is that I was in Port-Harcourt when he was young.

Emmanuel Ebiede had his chance at the 1995 AYC held in Nigeria. He came out average. More so he was a local champion when the likes of Kanu, Ikpeba,;Okocha, Amuneke, Amokachi, Babayaro, Oruma, Oliseh, Finidi, Babangida, Taribo and co were doing well in Europe. So no one gave him a chance in d national team

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:22am On Aug 31, 2016
goldfish80:

Igeniwari George.

I agree with you that he should be among the top of the list. I remember watching CNN announce his death. The Sports commentator said, a far better player than his elder brother Finidi George.

That statement sent shivers down my spine because Finidi was the World Best Winger at that time.

I remember Sam Okoye. I think his first major downturn was Coach Bonfere Picking Greg Etafia as the Sidney 2000 Olympics Dream Team number one keeper.

I think it was another case of Bonfere dropping A better Emmanuel Babayaro for a weaker Joseph Dosu.

Okoye clearly fitted Jo Bonfere's Dutch style.

RIP Sam Okoye and Igeniwari George.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:27am On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Emmanuel Ebiede had his chance at the 1995 AYC held in Nigeria. He came out average. More so he was a local champion when the likes of Kanu, Ikpeba,;Okocha, Amuneke, Amokachi, Babayaro, Oruma, Oliseh, Finidi, Babangida, Taribo and co were doing well in Europe. So no one gave him a chance in d national team

We glorified the brilliance of the Atlanta team so much that we left a lot of talents behind.

If you saw this performance of Emmanuel Ebiede, you will know he was more than what we knew.

We are talking a brilliant performance against some of the best defenders in football and one of the best defensive midfielders in the game. That is Taribo, Uche and Oliseh.

Ebiede left people Clapping every time the ball came to him. As I said, sad I did not get to watch the Waist breaker play a full match.

We thought he would start but his name did not make the bench. It was just like none of the Carlsberg Cup winning squad making it to France '98. Back then, it was automatic shirts for the Atlanta Boys.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:37am On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

I try explaining to people that what we see now, talents emerging in Nigeria like Ekong, Awaziem, Balogun, Ndidi, Chidebere Nwakali etc, was always like this in the past.

When you think of Ibeji, Abubakar Musa not getting into people's mind for the National team, despite repeated brilliance performances, you could tell the competition.

People did not think of Ebiede despite him being more of a Cult hero in Port-Harcourt. The media hardly mentioned him until his training game in Shell Camp Port-Harcourt.

When you think of Ikedia and Tijani Babangida, fighting for the same spot in the Super Eagles. Yet, there was a legend, Finidi George in the same team.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:40am On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:
Talking about Sam Okoye. At that U20 he was like a wall. So very solid. Ike Shoroumu was Nigeria's number1 goalie up to 2002. I see no reason y Enyeama and Ejide were invited ahead of Okoye. Okoye was at Enugu Rangers, Enyeama was at Enyimba and Ejide was at Etoile Du Sahel. These 3 guys were the best in our land at that time and Okoye as at then was ahead of them . Enyeama and Ejide progressed more while Okoye was stagnated until he went to the middle east where he died.

Add Greg Etafia to the list. That guy was a fine keeper. Brilliant in the post.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 8:12am On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Add Greg Etafia to the list. That guy was a fine keeper. Brilliant in the post.

When I remember Greg Etafia, I remember that 4-0 bashing by Chile at Sydney 2000 Olympucs. Ivan Zamorano and Salas wan kill naija.
Etafia was good but he was not as composed as Sam Okoye and Vincent Enyeama. Etafia was more like Austine Ejide.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:25am On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

When I remember Greg Etafia, I remember that 4-0 bashing by Chile at Sydney 2000 Olympucs. Ivan Zamorano and Salas wan kill naija.
Etafia was good but he was not as composed as Sam Okoye and Vincent Enyeama. Etafia was more like Austine Ejide.

I just knew you would go to the bashing. I could feel it coming. Nigerians never forgave him for that game but it was not the young man's fault.

After Azubuike Oliseh's suspension, we did not have anyone shielding the defence. Iyenemi Furo also had a terrible game that day. Gbenga Okunowo aka Barca Boy was also poor that day.

Etafia kept his way to a very high level. Making great saves even the the CAF Champions League with Lobi Stars.

He was very good but that flogging spoilt his image in Nigerians mind. I still believe he belongs in the list because he was a genuine contender for the Super Eagles goalkeeper role.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:35am On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

The goalkeeper was part of the Lobi Stars squad that won the Nigerian league in 1999 and became the third Nigerian side to reach the group stage of the Caf Champions League in 2000.

I even forgot they won the league. That is, Etafia, Issah and Ibeji. They were real young boys.

The management of our football destroyed a lot.

Shocked to hear he became caretaker coach of his club in South Africa.

Good morning and have nice day.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 9:28am On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I try explaining to people that what we see now, talents emerging in Nigeria like Ekong, Awaziem, Balogun, Ndidi, Chidebere Nwakali etc, was always like this in the past

When you think of Ibeji, Abubakar Musa not getting into people's mind for the National team, despite repeated brilliance performances, you could tell the competition.

People did not think of Ebiede despite him being more of a Cult hero in Port-Harcourt. The media hardly mentioned him until his training game in Shell Camp Port-Harcourt.

When you think of Ikedia and Tijani Babangida, fighting for the same spot in the Super Eagles. Yet, there was a legend, Finidi George in the same team.

That is the point have also been making. I usually shake my head when I see people say "This is a Super Golden Generation".
Remember my earliest arguments with you guys here? I have seen quality young players come and go. I have seen players that were better than Iheanacho and Success and that flopped as they grew older. In the 1990s, Nigeria could comfortably produce 3 parallel teams that could emerge 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the AFCON.

To break into the Super Eagles starting 11 was like breaking into the current Barcelona starting 11.
Tijani Babangida was so good yet he was a sub in the Super Eagles. All the likes of Mutiu Adepoju, Samson Siasia were subs. Okocha was a sub at the 1994 WC. Amuneke was a sub at the 1994 AFCON.

From late 1990s up to early 2000s Nigeria kept producing multiple talented players; Agali, Aghahowa, Ikedia, Ayegbeni, Odemwingie, Martins, Yobo, Utaka, Obodo, Ogbeche, but a good number (most of them fell short as they progressed age-wise). Only Yobo, Martins, and Odemwingie for me managed to weather through the strom and made names for themselves.

And from trends that I have observed usually have have eras where we will just have a certain cluster of players emerging at the same time and our hopes would be raised only to be dashed again. It has happened over and over.

The 1980 winning squad came mostly ayers from Enugu Rangers and IICC (3SC) that well at CAF Competition in the late 1970s. That green Eagles squad won Bronze at 1978 AFCON and then Gold at 1980 AFCON. Players like Segun Odegbami, Chrsitian Chukwu, The Okala brothers, Tunde Bamidele, Okey Esima, Best Ogedemgbe, Adokiye Amesimaka, Muda Lawal and the others come to mind.

However, I have followed the trend since Nigeria's exploits at Youth competitions. Most of the products of our Youths System don't end up well.

The first Golden era of our youth development was in the 1980s (from 1983 to 1989). Ow! Nigeria produced a million stars that even Pele predicted an African team would win the world cup before the end of that century. The Golden Eaglets classes of 1985, 87 and 89 were so talented and ruthless but a handful of them made it to the Super Eagles. Notably: Nduka Ugbade, Victor Ikpeba, Godwin Okpara, Jonathan Akpoborie. None from my beloved 1987 Eaglets even made it big. Samson Siasia, Ndubuisi Okesieme, Moday Odiaka, Mutiu Adepoju were amongst those that were discovered from the U21s. Okesieme and Idiaka only featured at Maros '88. Siasia and Adepoju were not starters in the 1990s Super Eagles Teams.

Another generation of youngsters emerged from the 1993 Eaglets and Flying Eagles. From Flying Eagles: J.J Okocha, Taribo West, Tijani Babangida, among others. They were joined by there younger Eaglets players like: Kanu Nwankwo, Celestine Babayaro, Wilson Oruma, Karibe Ojigwe, Mubi Okparaku. This crop was joined by other young players at that time like: Emmanuel Amuneke, Daniel Amokachi, Sunday Oliseh. They were now blended with some of the lasts of the 1980s generation like Rashidi Yekini, Stephen Keshi, Thompson Oliha, Peter Rufai, Uche Okechukwu , Ben Iroha among others. That was what led to that our Super Dominance in the 1990s.

When Nigeria's problem started was when we could not produce any formidable youths team from 1995 until 1999. This meant that the 1990s Eagles never had competitors or replacements until the likes of Julius Aghahowa, Pius Ikedia, Joseph Yobo, Victor Agali, Yakubu Ayegbeni all started emerging from 1999 WYC and 2000 Olympics. There was a great gap! Ike Soroumu for instances handed over to young Enyeama and Ejide. Victor Ikpeba left a big shoe for Victor Agali and Julius Aghahowa to fill. Ayegbeni was more used as an AM/ WF then. Others like Chukwu Ndukwe came and did their part and left with little or no impact.

The 1999 WYC and 2000 Olympics boys formed the nucleus of our team of much of the 2000s. This was a new era.
Ayegbeni, Aghhowa, Ikedia, Yobo, Enyeama, Ejide, and others were joined by talented players like: Christian Obodo, Osaze Odemwingie, Chidi Odiah, John Utaka. By then Okocha, Kanu and Oruma had become the senior players in the Team. Mikel Obi and Taye Taiwo joined that crop in 2006 and 2005 respectively. That team to me was the last Super Egales squad we had. The squad was later joined by Onyekachi Apam, Dele Adeleye, Sani Keita among others. This crop were products of our youths system from 2003 to 2008. The plane moving that squad crashed at the 2010 WC. Siasia only came on board in 2010-2011 to revive the already dead team but he failed.

The next era came with Stephen Keshi as coach. By this time the players of mid-late 2000 were already senior boys namely: Yobo, Odemwingie and Mikel. Keshi pick up some boys from our youths system of late 2000s up till Early 2010s and some form the local league. Elderson Echiejile, Ahmed Musa, Ogenyi Onazi, Uche Nwofor, Nnamdi Oduamadi, Nosa Igeibor, Brown Ideye, Efe Ambrose, Kenneth Omeruo - all products of our youths teams from 2007 to 2012 had their chance in the Super Eagles. They were joined by older boys like Mikel and Yobo plus other imvitees like Emenike, Mba, Obaobona among others. The team won the AFCON and got to the WC 2nd round but came crashing down months after.

A new era is here. Prominent are players from youth Teams from 2009 to 2015. Although some will say the new era is from 2013. I lump from 2009 because a good number of the players who played 2009 U17, 2011 U20 and 2013 U20 are still emerging. The 2013 and 2015 U17 teams have given us quality talented players but they still have to compete with their older companions from the 2009 U20 and 2011 and 2013 Flying Eagles. Eg Omeruo and Onazi were part of the 2009 U17 and are still very much in the thick of things, Ahmed Musa featured at the 2011 WYC, Simon Moses, and Wilfred Ndidi featured at the 2013 U20. Imoh Ezekiel was invited for the 2013 WYC but was not released by his club. The younger crop of this generation are the likes of Iheanacho, Success, K. Nwakali, Victor Osimhen and Alex Iwobi. Sadiq Umar, Azubuike Okechukwu, Troost-Ekong,Stanley Amuzie are still very much in thick of things for this generation.

Now, my question is; Is this generation better than the clusters we had from 1983 to 1989, 1993, 1999-2000, and 2001 to 2007?

I don't think so. Let us just be watching and hope we get things right this time.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 10:33am On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I just knew you would go to the bashing. I could feel it coming. Nigerians never forgave him for that game but it was not the young man's fault.

After Azubuike Oliseh's suspension, we did not have anyone shielding the defence. Iyenemi Furo also had a terrible game that day. Gbenga Okunowo aka Barca Boy was also poor that day.

Etafia kept his way to a very high level. Making great saves even the the CAF Champions League with Lobi Stars.

He was very good but that flogging spoilt his image in Nigerians mind. I still believe he belongs in the list because he was a genuine contender for the Super Eagles goalkeeper role.

Hmmm.. u just mentioned another forgotten player. Furo Iyeneme. So very unpredictable. In a game he could pose a MOM performance and the next game You would feel like chopping-off his head. He also reminds me of Isaac Okoronkwo who was also in that team as a CB partner with Furo. Both CBs were off and on players. If those they chose to be off we could concede terribly. Just look at our results in that tourney and you'll also understand why Greg Etafia fell out of favor:

Nigeria 3-3 Honduras (We came from 3-1 down to equalize. Goals from Bright Igbinadalor, Victor Agali and Yakubu Aiyegbeni hu scored the equalizer with almost the last kick of the game)
Nigeria 3-2 Australia (Goals from Pius Ikedia, Julius Aghahowa and Victor Agali)
Nigeria 1-1 Italy (Goal scored by Garba Lawal before Gbenga Okunowo of Barcelona scored an own to make it 1-1)
Nigeria 0-4 Chile.

Azubuike Oliseh was a key man in the DMF in that team. I recall the over-aged players were Godwin Okpara and Garba Lawal. Celestine Babayaro was captain. Sam Okoye was a substitute goalie in that team.

I was so disappointed in the team all through the tourney.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:55am On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Hmmm.. u just mentioned another forgotten player. Furo Iyeneme. So very unpredictable. In a game he could pose a MOM performance and the next game You would feel like chopping-off his head. He also reminds me of Isaac Okoronkwo who was also in that team as a CB partner with Furo. Both CBs were off and on players. If those they chose to be off we could concede terribly. Just look at our results in that tourney and you'll also understand why Greg Etafia fell out of favor:

Nigeria 3-3 Honduras (We came from 3-1 down to equalize. Goals from Bright Igbinadalor, Victor Agali and Yakubu Aiyegbeni hu scored the equalizer with almost the last kick of the game)
Nigeria 3-2 Australia (Goals from Pius Ikedia, Julius Aghahowa and Victor Agali)
Nigeria 1-1 Italy (Goal scored by Garba Lawal before Gbenga Okunowo of Barcelona scored an own to make it 1-1)
Nigeria 0-4 Chile.

Azubuike Oliseh was a key man in the DMF in that team. I recall the over-aged players were Godwin Okpara and Garba Lawal. Celestine Babayaro was captain. Sam Okoye was a substitute goalie in that team.

One of the best Assembled Olympics squad. Second after the Super Atlanta team.

The Honduras game gave us hope the team could fight when things went bad.

They were against a talented and we'll managed Honduras side. David Suazo who later played for Inter Milan, his younger brother and the Brilliant Pedro Leon (Put up a great performance in the 3-0 thrashing of Honduras by Brazil in Nigeria '99.) Pedro Leon scored a wonder goal in that game against us. A curling shot from the right wing.

Thinking of it now, Etafia was also a goalkeeper who liked to leave his line.

That comeback showed promise. Greg Etafia also had a good game against Italy. Pirlo played as a creative midfielder in that game.

That team disappointed. Yes, Aghahowa was also in the squad.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:58am On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Nigeria 0-4 Chile.

Most Pundits believed we would have fared better with Sam Okoye in goal. However, Greg Etafia was still a strong hand.

He was already a star keeper in the league.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 11:11am On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

They were against a talented and we'll managed Honduras side. David Suazo who later played for Inter Milan, his younger brother and the Brilliant Pedro Leon (Put up a great performance in the 3-0 thrashing of Honduras by Brazil in Nigeria '99.) Pedro Leon scored a wonder goal in that game against us. A curling shot from the right wing.

That comeback showed promise. Greg Etafia also had a good game against Italy. Pirlo played as a creative midfielder in that game.

Yeah, that was a talented squad that set the stage for the Super Eagles Team of the 2000s. Joseph Yobo who was a RB then was dropped for "the Barca boy" Gbenga Okunowo, who also featured prominently at the 2000 AFCON. Yobo's break-through came at the 2002 AFCON.

Etafia happened to be among the youngest players then. 17 I think. He put the then 20years Sam Okoye on the bench. Greg Etafia, Gbenga Okunnowo, Celestine Babayaro, Isaac Okoronkwo, Ogbonna Kanu, Azubuike Oliseh, Furo Iyeneme, Blessing Kaku, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Julius Aghahowa, Pius Ikedia, Garba Lawal , Godwin Okpara, Sam Okoye, Victor Agali, Bright Igbinadalor. The squad had quality sha.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 11:12am On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Yeah, he was not so much composed. Not like Sam Okoye and Enyeama.

He was a ball playing goal Keeper just like one of our recent youth goalies by name Danlami Paul of the 2011 Flying Eagles.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:25am On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Yeah, that was a talented squad that set the stage for the Super Eagles Team of the 2000s. Joseph Yobo who was a RB then was dropped for "the Barca boy" Gbenga Okunowo, who also featured prominently at the 2000 AFCON. Yobo's break-through came at the 2002 AFCON.

Etafia happened to be among the youngest players then. 17 I think. He put the then 20years Sam Okoye on the bench. Greg Etafia, Gbenga Okunnowo, Celestine Babayaro, Isaac Okoronkwo, Ogbonna Kanu, Azubuike Oliseh, Furo Iyeneme, Blessing Kaku, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Julius Aghahowa, Pius Ikedia, Garba Lawal , Godwin Okpara, Sam Okoye, Victor Agali, Bright Igbinadalor. The squad had quality sha.

See squad. I remember Ogbeche was among the dropped players, including Issah and Ibeji.

Ogbeche was also very young then. Abubakar Musa lost his place to Ibeji. Sad they failed and fell off.

Shocking Yobo did not make it into that team after his Nigeria '99 show. I never thought of it.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 11:47am On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

See squad. I remember Ogbeche was among the dropped players, including Issah and Ibeji.

Ogbeche was also very young then. Abubakar Musa lost his place to Ibeji. Sad they failed and fell off.

Shocking Yobo did not make it into that team after his Nigeria '99 show. I never thought of it.

Ogbeche? Really? Ogbeche was 17 when he featured at the 2002 World Cup meaning he was initially considered then even as a 15 year old?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:49am On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Ogbeche? Really? Ogbeche was 17 when he featured at the 2002 World Cup meaning he was initially considered then even as a 15 year old?

Issah, Etafia, Ibeji and Ogbeche were young. I think Ogbeche during that period joined PSG youth team.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 11:51am On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Issah, Etafia, Ibeji and Ogbeche were young. I think Ogbeche during that period joined PSG youth team.

hmmm... battling to remember.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 11:56am On Aug 31, 2016
There is another name we have left out: Ugochukwu Chukwunyere. We used to call him "wowo" those days in Ajegunle. Very bulky guy that went to play in Malta. He featured in one of those our experimental home based teams of late 1990s/early 2000s

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:00pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:
There is another name we have left out: Ugochukwu Chukwunyere. We used to call him "wowo" those days in Ajegunle. Very bulky guy that went to play in Malta. He featured in one of those our experimental home based teams of late 1990s/early 2000s

Do you remember a Nigerian team, thrashing a foreign team 4-0. Ogbonna Kanu was in that team. It is rough in my memory. I can not remember the team we played but NTA televised the match. The team had brilliant players.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 12:02pm On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Do you remember a Nigerian team, thrashing a foreign team 4-0. Ogbonna Kanu was in that team. It is rough in my memory. I can not remember the team we played but NTA televised the match. The team had brilliant players.

Could it be at the Carlsberg Cup in Singapore?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:04pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

I wonder who was the Lobi Stars coach that built that team. They went on to perform well at the CAF Champions League. I remember how bad people felt when that team lost in the CAF Champions League Quarter-final game.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:06pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Not Carlsberg. This was after Carlsberg. I can only remember Ogbonna Kanu. I am not sure if Okunnowo was in that team.

I think it was Spain they played.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:11pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Merridien Cup.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 12:14pm On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Not Carlsberg. This was after Carlsberg. I can only remember Ogbonna Kanu. I am not sure if Okunnowo was in that team.

I think it was Spain they played.

Kai! me no remember that one o. The thing is by the late 1990s my followership of the game had started dwindling. undecided
The Super Eagles broke my heart at France '98 and Nigeria could not qualify for any youth competition since after 1995 until Nigeria '99 when we hosted. After the 1995 U17 we did nt take part until 2001. After Saudi '89 we did not play the WYC (U21) till Nigeria '99. Besides, those were my Undergraduate days. Limited time to watch TV or football. grin

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 12:17pm On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Merridien Cup.

Meridian Cup was for the U17. I Think Obafemi Martins and Ifeanyi Udeze were part of that inaugural edition in 1997. We won it by beating Spain in the final!. Yeah I remember now.

Maybe Ogbonna Kanu was part of it too.

Modified:
Yeah correct!. TheGoodJoe, Check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_UEFA-CAF_Meridian_Cup

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:23pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Meridian Cup was for the U17. I Think Obafemi Martins and Ifeanyi Udeze were part of that inaugural edition in 1997. We won it by beating Spain in the final!. Yeah I remember now.

Maybe Ogbonna Kanu was part of it too.

Modified:
Yeah correct!. TheGoodJoe, Check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_UEFA-CAF_Meridian_Cup

Thanks.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua’s Punch Cut Andy Ruiz In Left Eye In Rematch (Photos) / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics / Messi Shaves His Beard As Enthusiastic Barca Stars Train Before La Liga Return

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.