Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,244 members, 7,807,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:59 PM

Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix (22245 Views)

Glamour Girls: Review And Ratings / Chief Daddy 2 (Going For Broke)- Reviews And Ratings? / Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by safarigirl(f): 10:16pm On Jan 20, 2023
Bretheren, Nollywood has started their 2023 on Netflix with a bang.

No, I am not exaggerating. If you haven't seen this movie wake up and go and watch it, you're not bigger than peer pressure. If for nothing else, watch it for Chidi Mokeme, let him show you that class is permanent. Who God has endowed with a gift, never loses it.

Without further ado, let's get into the thick of things with this much anticipated (on my end) 6-episode series, Shanty Town

Title : Shanty Town

Producer: Chinenye Chichi Nworah

Writer(s): Xavier Ighorodje, Donald Tombia, ShirleyAnn Ede, Ayomikun Paseda
Director: Dimeji Ajibola

Cast: Ini Edo, Chidi Mokeme, Nse Ikpe-Etim, Nancy Isime, Richard Mofe-Damijo, Zubby Michael, Peter Okoye, Shaffy Bello, Shola Sobowale, Ali Nuhu, Mercy Eke.

Plot:

An undercover detective on a revenge mission, infiltrates a crime ring, and uncovers damning information on their activities and associates.

Review:

Yes, I know the plot is a bit thin and straight to the point, but that's basically the premise of the story. Now, let's get into it.

As earlier stated, Shanty Town is a crime drama, think of something along the lines of KOB, and you basically have it.

To be honest, I don't know where to start with the review of this movie, because everything was damn near perfect, but let me begin with the writing. I'm very particular with writing, because I find a lot of Nigerian productions have some underwhelming writing behind them, but the writers of this story did a GREAT job. There were quotable quotes, relatable lines, witty words, and perhaps my best part- a healthy exploration of Nigerian indigenous languages; there was Yoruba, Igbo and Ibibio, aside the usual pidgin. Na the Ibibio sweet me pass. It was so well written, there were no plotholes, nothing to make you go, "Na for Naija this one dey happen?", the suspense was suspensing, the drama dramad. Every event was interwoven to bring us to the climax and what a climax it was. It has been a long time since I watched something from Nollywood that didn't make me pause and scrounge my face a bit at how unrealistic it was for the setting (okay, I take this back because of The Wait). The writers crossed their T's and dotted their I's, but the dialogue, particularly for the character of Scar, was my favourite part of this series.

This leads me to my next favourite part- the acting. To be honest, I have this theory that where there is a Star cast, one of two things could happen; the performances will either be really good, or really bad. No in-between. So, when I saw the cast for Shanty Town, I was hopeful it would fall under the former. Thankfully, it did. Everybody brought their A-Game, so, I'll just be mentioning a few performances that made this series worth the watch. Perhaps my biggest concern was Mercy Eke, but she blew me away with her performance in the first 2 episodes. I didn't know she had it in her to be so good. You'd never believe this is her first proper movie. I hope she gets more roles in the industry. Nse and Ini Edo were their usual brilliant selves, and then when they were speaking Ibibio to each other, E sweet me die. The seamless movement through languages was a joy to watch. Shaffy Bello had what some would call a minor role in the movie, but her delivery in the scene she was introduced pleasantly surprised me. I knew she had it in her, but I was no less giddy with excitement at how well she delivered her character. RMD, always the epitome of charisma and carriage, killed his role as DaCosta Fernandez. The inspiration for the character, and to some extent, Scar, was a little too on the nose. At this point, the owner of Lagos should start collecting money from these movie makers for the inspiration. Nancy Isime also pulled off a stellar performance, I'm beginning to enjoy her in crime dramas, from Blood Sisters to this Shanty Town, she's always so good at them. PS, THAT scene was a body double, not Nancy. If you haven't watched it, when you get to THAT scene, you'll know. The body of the double was bodying grin.

Now, I have to take a special paragraph for this man, because walahi, na him get this Series. CHIDI MOKEME IS AN ACTOR!!!!! As in, HE DEY ACT. God will bless whoever cast him in the role of Scar and God bless Chidi for doing that role justice. My multi-lingual king reminded us of why he's called a veteran. If you no feel that performance, check yourself. I love a good villain, give me a villain I can root for, a villain I want to succeed, and Scar was that villain. Kudos to the writers once again, for writing a character that was so exciting to watch, but even more kudos to Chidi Mokeme for bringing their vision to life. Delivery is such an important part of production, it can either make or break a movie, and Chidi delivered Scar in ways I haven't seen a villain delivered since Shola in KOB. MC Oluomo would be proud, every agbero in Lagos would be proud. I don't want to downplay what the new generation Nollywood actors have achieved, but Chidi is their daddy. I could only think of 3 others that could give us a performance so good, and I doubt any of them would have chewed Yoruba and Igbo like Chidi did. I hope this performance does not go unrewarded. It was an award-winning performance, and I really hope he makes it to a second season.

Now, on to other things. Like, the action sequences. There were guns, fist fights, bloody murders and a yellow and black bus that was dispensable. The action scenes were well executed, I loved that they blew shit up, and had a bus in an accident. The goriness associated with hacking a person was well done. There was some NECESSARY nudity (because I know some of you will start asking "was it necessary?" Yes! Yes, it was), some of you don't realise that certain scenes can exist for viewers to learn more of a character. Trigger warning, there's also rape, so, if that's too heavy for you, be mindful. Overall, the action scenes were all well produced.

I liked the Setting. The series is set in Lagos, so, we see the ghetto side of things, as well as the more posh areas. Nothing is extravagant per say though, but every setting was put to good use.

With the music, I must commend the 2-for-1 deal some filmmakers are able to secure by casting a musician and then just using their music as part of the soundtrack. It's a good way to bypass intellectual property rights issues, and the producers applied this by using music from Peter Okoye (P-Square), who was already a cast member.

Technically speaking, the cinematography was great, the editing was good, and the sound was thankfully, good as well. At least I did not have my remote on hand to turn the volume up or down depending on the scene. The costumes were good, I liked that Nse's character had a steady choice of Ankara outfits, showcasing some Nigerian fits. I also liked Shaffy's fits. Whoever was in charge of Special Effects was equally brilliant, the body parts were very believable

The series explores themes of human trafficking, corruption, organised crime, there's a hint of spirituality etc.

As for criticisms, whole the fighting scenes were god, certain parts of it were subpar to be honest. It could have been better. Another teeny tiny one, at the early scenes where the wig of one of the characters partially slipped off, so, we could see her cornrows underneath. It's an insignificant gaffe, but a gaffe nonetheless.

Overall, this series was a work of brilliance. A well-thought out piece and I'm hopeful Season 2 will be in the works. Please please please, watch it if you haven't. And if you have, what are your thoughts on it?

Rating: 9/10

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by potbelly(m): 10:46pm On Jan 20, 2023
You have a good command of English
I always like to read your reviews after watching new movies...
Haven't watched this yet although it's been hyped everywhere on social media...
I hope it lives up to expectation...
Side comment: Netflix releases are coming in droves...
I hope I will be able to keep up...

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by safarigirl(f): 12:33am On Jan 21, 2023
potbelly:
You have a good command of English
I always like to read your reviews after watching new movies...
Haven't watched this yet although it's been hyped everywhere on social media...
I hope it lives up to expectation...
Side comment: Netflix releases are coming in droves...
I hope I will be able to keep up...

Thank you for the compliment, I really enjoy writing reviews and positive feedbacks give me a serotonin boost.

I'd rather not make comparisons, but this is one of the best Nollywood productions I've seen in the last few months. You won't be disappointed.

Yes, Nollywood has been releasing a lot recently, probably to welcome us to a New Year, just take your time and watch at your own pace.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Twoclans(f): 1:18am On Jan 21, 2023
I have been waiting to see if you will do a review of buka street before I decide to burn my 5000 at jabi lake mall .

Your reviews are always super.
safarigirl:

Thank you for the compliment, I really enjoy writing reviews and positive feedbacks give me a serotonin boost.

I'd rather not make comparisons, but this is one of the best Nollywood productions I've seen in the last few months. You won't be disappointed.

Yes, Nollywood has been releasing a lot recently, probably to welcome us to a New Year, just take your time and watch at your own pace.
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by safarigirl(f): 2:06am On Jan 21, 2023
Twoclans:
I have been waiting to see if you will do a review of buka street before I decide to burn my 5000 at jabi lake mall .

Lol, I haven't been to the cinemas since Wakanda Forever. Most of my reviews are usually something showing on streaming services, because more people have access to them. Last time I reviewed a Nigerian movie that was in the cinemas, the engagements were low.

I haven't seen Buka street, but I've heard really good things about it. Are the ticket prices still 5k?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Twoclans(f): 7:30am On Jan 21, 2023
Ohhh now I understand.

Early this month I paid 4,500 to watch wakanda forever at jabi lake mall.I just added the additional 500 because this is Nigeria,
I always assume anything can happen.

safarigirl:

Lol, I haven't been to the cinemas since Wakanda Forever. Most of my reviews are usually something showing on streaming services, because more people have access to them. Last time I reviewed a Nigerian movie that was in the cinemas, the engagements were low.

I haven't seen Buka street, but I've heard really good things about it. Are the ticket prices still 5k?

8 Likes

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by safarigirl(f): 8:21am On Jan 21, 2023
Twoclans:
Ohhh now I understand.

Early this month I paid 4,500 to watch wakanda forever at jabi lake mall.I just added the additional 500 because this is Nigeria,

Nah, Wakanda Forever was extra special. Nigerian movies are usually cheaper, so, you'd probably have had to pay 3k, not 5.

If you want to see a movie, you should try booking a ticket online, particularly with Genesis cinemas. I don't know if others do so, but Genesis does. That's where I check the price.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by zicoraads: 8:44am On Jan 21, 2023
Twoclans:
Ohhh now I understand.

SEC is more expensive then.

It's showing 5,500 for the movie today, or is it because it's the weekend?

How was it by the way? I want to watch it this night.
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Twoclans(f): 8:55am On Jan 21, 2023
If you are asking about wakanda forever it was a fine film ,a little bit childish but I enjoyed it.I still watch animations and cartons till tomorrow.

There is a possibility prices have gone up again for movies .I paid 4,500 a few weeks ago to watch wakanda forever.

zicoraads:

SEC is more expensive then.

It's showing 5,500 for the movie today, or is it because it's the weekend?

How was it by the way? I want to watch it this night.

1 Like

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Twoclans(f): 8:57am On Jan 21, 2023
Genesis is off my route but maybe I will make that extra effort to use one of their cinemas someday.
safarigirl:

Nah, Wakanda Forever was extra special. Nigerian movies are usually cheaper, so, you'd probably have had to pay 3k, not 5.

If you want to see a movie, you should try booking a ticket online, particularly with Genesis cinemas. I don't know if others do so, but Genesis does. That's where I check the price.
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by zicoraads: 9:17am On Jan 21, 2023
Twoclans:
If you are asking about walanda forever it was a fine film ,a little bit childish but I enjoyed it.I still watch animations and cartons till tomorrow.

There is a possibility prices have gone up again for movies .I paid 4,500 a few weeks ago to watch walanda forever.

Okay then.

Yeah, Wakanda Forever. Thanks.

NB: just noticed this is a Shanty Town review. Sorry for derailing just a bit Safarigirl. I'll drop my two cents when I watch the movie sometime next week. Or tomorrow.
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by ImoleNaija: 9:29am On Jan 21, 2023
Is that hand RMD's?

2 Likes

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by pretydiva(f): 9:30am On Jan 21, 2023
Nice review Safari. I hope it's worth the hype. Would see it tomorrow hopefully
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by xristos(m): 9:31am On Jan 21, 2023
observing
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Yingyanng: 9:31am On Jan 21, 2023
Pls help out a stranger with any amount you can spare, I have lost any hope to feed my self and family, i am starving and recuperating from malaria, I am starving pls help. This is not a gimmick or scam. I have no other choice that is why I resulted to this. Standerd chartered 500 614 8637
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by jaxxy(m): 9:31am On Jan 21, 2023
Attention seeking movie at best. nudity was the highlight.

Bt I wonder when a movie was ever rated high simply because of its new audacious nudity when other aspects were mediocre or average.

safarigirl:

How many Nudity dey the film wey na that one you focus on?

Some of you are so weird. What is in nudity that jars you so much? It was a very good movie, perhaps you were to excited by seeing breasts to acknowledge the brilliant performances of the actors.

To ur credit and to be fair I haven't watched the movie bt the few clips seen and the ones trending, it seems that's the catch bt I'm not 100% sure.

I'm a big critic on naija movies so I don't think I will score it well ether ways. if it doesn't match up to a Hollywood standard I'm not impressed even tho it may be good to alot of Nigerians.

11 Likes

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Ladygbola(f): 9:32am On Jan 21, 2023
I will rate the movie 8.5/10
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Enemyofpeace: 9:32am On Jan 21, 2023
safarigirl:

yinmu
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by xristos(m): 9:32am On Jan 21, 2023
Twoclans:

can we go see it tgether? wink
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by westfield: 9:33am On Jan 21, 2023
I don't know if it's the same shanty town that is showing on Netflix that you watched....9/10 are you joking?

How can a dead person send a voice note? Explain

What was that rubbish at the end of the movie?

Script writing 6/10

Whole Movie 5/10

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Emilokan1(m): 9:33am On Jan 21, 2023
@ safarigirl,If you think I'm gonna read that spoiler you out up there, you must be smoking sowore weed grin. Spoilers devalue a good movie. I love Living through the suspense,plots and intrigues. Nne ,be calming down grin
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Goodlady(f): 9:33am On Jan 21, 2023
Safarigirl, you did a good review. Well done. I m now looking forward to see the movie
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Illusioneffect(m): 9:34am On Jan 21, 2023
safarigirl:

Truth be told, some are watching it because of brezz and nyash

1 Like

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by CallmeTrinity: 9:35am On Jan 21, 2023
I saw a few clips. It looks like hot garbage
Definitely a skip for me...

2 Likes

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Kennyfancy(m): 9:36am On Jan 21, 2023
Ok
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Monumenter(m): 9:36am On Jan 21, 2023
Cus of Nancy Isime why most people watched that series
Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by BigDawsNet: 9:36am On Jan 21, 2023
Very impressive

Seems the Entertainment Industry is the only thing that is active in dis country now

4 Likes

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by Odogwujayy: 9:37am On Jan 21, 2023
Went on Twitter yesterday, everyone is gonna watch coz of when Nancy Isime went nude. Nigerians ehh, sex too full their head. Though I heard it's a good movie..

4 Likes

Re: Reviews And Ratings: Shanty Town (Series) On Netflix by mbahdi(m): 9:40am On Jan 21, 2023
Leprosy to every hand dat WI want to vote apc again

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

All About Camillia- Todo Sobre Camillia / #EndSARS Campaign Featured On Al Jazeera / Bbnaija: Mercy 'I Might Become A Pastor Some Day'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.