Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,017 members, 7,806,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? (6068 Views)

How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK? / How Did You Feel The First Day You Travelled Abroad? / Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by studyless123: 12:54pm On Jan 22, 2023
Gerrard59:

Additionally, from the US immigration website, slightly above 1000 Nigerians petitioned for H1B (chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/data/h-1b-petitions-by-gender-country-of-birth-fy2019.pdf). Meanwhile, more than 11K Nigerian students are studying in the US – the highest from Africa (https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/06/number-of-nigerians-studying-in-us-increased-by-93-in-10-years-erudera-com/). So, where the remaining 10K+ go after their studies? Dem no see work? If they got employed, how did they become citizens/permanent residents?

One might suggest a PhD, but not everyone has the time, mental strength to undergo the degree

https://twitter.com/bradchattergoon/status/1554906852852465665?s=20&t=y6XsFbta5Y9pvIQcFzGHGA
https://twitter.com/anthonyjdella/status/1615817810311278592

So fellow Nigerian students who have now naturalised in the US, how did you do it?

Broadly through marriage and EB-visas.

To be honest, it's a rough path when you're going through the employment-based option. You have to be sound upstairs and I know some who have gone through that route. The marriage is an easier option that every Tom, Dick and Harry uses. I must also state that some students find genuine love, get married and become naturalized citizens.

I was impacted by the layoffs and worked with some very brilliant individuals. Many are from prestigious colleges in the states. Some will find another job and others will go home. It is what it is.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by meritdee(m): 1:15pm On Jan 22, 2023
You don’t need a PhD to be eligible for the EB2-NIW. I have friends that obtained theirs with only Master’s. Some of us got ours mid PhD/D.Eng.
MSc and MBA with extensive research findings (you don’t need to have papers published) and field experience will do just fine.

I shared some insights in the thread below.

https://www.nairaland.com/6354180/general-usa-student-visa-enquiries-part/87#100240998

Gerrard59:

From a Nigerian POV, marriage, join the army and EB2-NIW. Fair deal.

Although, the EB2-NIW seems to favour PhD holders. What if one has an MSc and MBA?

Six years to do PhD (even with an MSc) get as e be.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by mystery22: 1:35pm On Jan 22, 2023
TWoods:

This is not true. The path to permanent residency is relatively the same across the board. Your employer would first have to keep you on an H1B/or some sort of job visa, get a permanent labor certification for you from DOL and then apply for adjustment of status through the EB1, EB2 or EB3 routes, whichever is applicable to you.
We have nurses here that got their green card immediately they landed in America

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by BarristerAlarig: 1:51pm On Jan 22, 2023
TWoods:

This is not true. The path to permanent residency is relatively the same across the board. Your employer would first have to keep you on an H1B/or some sort of job visa, get a permanent labor certification for you from DOL and then apply for adjustment of status through the EB1, EB2 or EB3 routes, whichever is applicable to you.

The other guy was right. You're wrong. Nurses get green cards immediately they are sponsored.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by justwise(m): 2:23pm On Jan 22, 2023
Gerrard59:

Seun, JustWise, Mukina2.

SOS oo! Before people use new dispensation finish without knowing the laws. As it is, Nigerian grads who were employed by Big tech firms and got retrenched have to get a new employer on H1B within sixty days, or they return to face Emilokan, who is going to make Nigeria great again anyway.

Pront page will not help this thread, it will be derailed
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Gerrard59(m): 2:34pm On Jan 22, 2023
studyless123:

Broadly through marriage and EB-visas.

To be honest, it's a rough path when you're going through the employment-based option. You have to be sound upstairs and I know some who have gone through that route. The marriage is an easier option that every Tom, Dick and Harry uses. I must also state that some students find genuine love, get married and become naturalized citizens.

I was impacted by the layoffs and worked with some very brilliant individuals. Many are from prestigious colleges in the states. Some will find another job and others will go home. It is what it is.

My sympathies. Thank you for your contribution.
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Gerrard59(m): 2:37pm On Jan 22, 2023
meritdee:
You don’t need a PhD to be eligible for the EB2-NIW. I have friends that obtained theirs with only Master’s. Some of us got ours mid PhD/D.Eng.
MSc and MBA with extensive research findings (you don’t need to have papers published) and field experience will do just fine.

I shared some insights in the thread below.

https://www.nairaland.com/6354180/general-usa-student-visa-enquiries-part/87#100240998

Thank you for the thread.

Being a Nigerian compared to say being an Indian really helps.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:38pm On Jan 22, 2023
Gerrard59:

Thank you for the thread.

Being a Nigerian compared to say being an Indian really helps.

Las las school no be scam. if you no sabi book how you go write research papers cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Gerrard59(m): 2:42pm On Jan 22, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Las las school no be scam. if you no sabi book how you go write research papers cheesy cheesy

chatgpt angry

Shey you na tech bro? Epp your boy grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Davidganna10: 3:50pm On Jan 22, 2023
I love this thread, I wish most naturalized Americans in this forum will contribute. Although, I know many who naturalized via marriage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Spanishmilf(m): 4:12pm On Jan 22, 2023
I think most people get their gc through marriage and army
But marriage is common like one of our guy here mackynaija he got his own thru marriage.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TWoods(m): 5:47pm On Jan 22, 2023
BarristerAlarig:

The other guy was right. You're wrong. Nurses get green cards immediately they are sponsored.

That doesn't make sense. They still have to go through the process. They will need a form of work authorization before they get green cards, which could be in the form of an H1B, TN visa (applicable to Canadians only), etc. They then have to get an employee-sponsored I-140 immigrant petition sponsored before they can apply for an adjustment of status. What part of this is wrong?

Please see this link and educate yourselves pls... https://www.shusterman.com/nurse-immigration-guide/
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TWoods(m): 5:51pm On Jan 22, 2023
mystery22:
We have nurses here that got their green card immediately they landed in America

Through what process please? This is not true. You folks should stop lying or provide evidence.
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TWoods(m): 5:52pm On Jan 22, 2023
shegzhkn:

An American now ??

Yes.
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by BarristerAlarig: 6:04pm On Jan 22, 2023
TWoods:

That doesn't make sense. They still have to go through the process. They will need a form of work authorization before they get green cards, which could be in the form of an H1B, TN visa (applicable to Canadians only), etc. They then have to get an employee-sponsored I-140 immigrant petition sponsored before they can apply for an adjustment of status. What part of this is wrong?

Please see this link and educate yourselves pls... https://www.shusterman.com/nurse-immigration-guide/
Go to the nursing thread and ask. Have you ever seen a nurse on the H1B visa?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TheNoble007(m): 7:46pm On Jan 22, 2023
Gerrard59:

From a Nigerian POV, marriage, join the army and EB2-NIW. Fair deal.

Although, the EB2-NIW seems to favour PhD holders. What if one has an MSc and MBA?

Six years to do PhD (even with an MSc) get as e be.

This duration is not true for all persons... There are people who even graduate within 3-4 years after good research work... However, doing a PhD with steady funding from an advisor is competitive.... You need to be good in your field.....
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by mystery22: 8:04pm On Jan 22, 2023
TWoods:

Through what process please? This is not true. You folks should stop lying or provide evidence.
what do you mean by you folks?what you don't know you keep shut or ask questions not accusing someone of lying. Are you a USRN

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Aaronsrod: 8:23pm On Jan 22, 2023
TWoods:

Many have taken the road I walked.

It is simple. I killed a man and took his identity.

Join us.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Saverin: 8:39pm On Jan 22, 2023
Na wa oh, e no easy oh. Trump wanted to introduce point based immigration but didn't know how came out of it again.
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TWoods(m): 12:46am On Jan 23, 2023
mystery22:
what do you mean by you folks?what you don't know you keep shut or ask questions not accusing someone of lying. Are you a USRN

Other than abuse, what have we learned from you? Nothing. undecided

Notice how none of you ever explicitly states the process, just yelling.
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TWoods(m): 12:47am On Jan 23, 2023
BarristerAlarig:

Go to the nursing thread and ask. Have you ever seen a nurse on the H1B visa?

I did a simple google search. Here is what i found in less than 1 second - https://www.immi-usa.com/h1b-visa/h-1b-nurses/

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/memos/2015-0218_EIR_Nursing_PM_Effective.pdf

The latter is a US government memo on how it adjudicates H1B visas for nursing occupations. Obviously the US government has seen nurses on H1B. This is what deters folks like me from posting here as often, running into garrulous malcontents who have nothing to offer beyond disgraceful abuse and objecting to everything you say, without offering anything intelligent.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by shegzhkn: 3:22am On Jan 23, 2023
TWoods:

Yes.

I figure, you seemed to be more drawn to the US than your native Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TWoods(m): 4:40am On Jan 23, 2023
shegzhkn:

I figure, you seemed to be more drawn to the US than your native Nigeria.

I've been here almost as long as I lived in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Gerrard59(m): 5:38am On Jan 23, 2023
TWoods;

https://nurse.org/articles/work-in-us-as-foreign-educated-nurse/

The folks you quoted might be correct since the H1B visa is very competitive and also a lottery. In there, H1B is listed as an option, but very unrealistic. So, the majority get a green card immediately they enter for employment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Gerrard59(m): 5:42am On Jan 23, 2023
Saverin:
Na wa oh, e no easy oh. Trump wanted to introduce point based immigration but didn't know how came out of it again.

I really wanted him to do so to let people, especially those who criticise the US know the value she has. The applications will drown Canada's EE by a hooge percentage. But the requirements will be tough. Dem fit ask for PhD at the age of 25 to stand a chance. Draws fit dey read 700+ grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TWoods(m): 5:57am On Jan 23, 2023
Gerrard59:
TWoods;

https://nurse.org/articles/work-in-us-as-foreign-educated-nurse/

The folks you quoted might be correct since the H1B visa is very competitive and also a lottery. In there, H1B is listed as an option, but very unrealistic. So, the majority get a green card immediately they enter for employment.

If you review step 7 in your link, it lists the process, exactly as I laid it out.

If you gain employment in the US to work as an RN, you have two general options:

a. Get a temporary visa and move to the US to work while your application for a green card (I-140/I-485) is being processed. If you're Canadian or Mexican, you can work with a TN. All other nurses will need to obtain an H1B.

b. Have your prospective employer file an I-140 application right away. While this is in progress, you cannot travel to or work in the US. Once this is approved, you then file for a green card through consular processing. This process can take 2 or more years. Why would an employer wait that long when they can bring you here faster on a temp visa (option a) while you're waiting for the green card process to run its course?

Yes the H1B lottery is highly competitive but is not impossible. Being an RN does not change the process... you are just like everyone else. No special exemptions.
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TWoods(m): 6:00am On Jan 23, 2023
Gerrard59:

I really wanted him to do so to let people, especially those who criticise the US know the value she has. The applications will drown Canada's EE by a hooge percentage. But the requirements will be tough. Dem fit ask for PhD at the age of 25 to stand a chance. Draws fit dey read 700+ grin

It was never going to happen. Trump talked a lot but never made an attempt to coalesce support in the house and senate. No one took him seriously. If at all immigration laws change, we are likely to have something close to the "gang of 8" bill of 2013. That bill would have given any foreigner who obtains a Ph.D. in the US an automatic green card. Sadly it failed in the house at the last minute.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by mystery22: 9:43am On Jan 23, 2023
TWoods:

Other than abuse, what have we learned from you? Nothing. undecided

Notice how none of you ever explicitly states the process, just yelling.
No need of wasting my time on a bad mouthed fellow
Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by Eaganguolly(m): 11:07am On Jan 23, 2023
TWoods:

If you review step 7 in your link, it lists the process, exactly as I laid it out.

If you gain employment in the US to work as an RN, you have two general options:

a. Get a temporary visa and move to the US to work while your application for a green card (I-140/I-485) is being processed. If you're Canadian or Mexican, you can work with a TN. All other nurses will need to obtain an H1B.

b. Have your prospective employer file an I-140 application right away. While this is in progress, you cannot travel to or work in the US. Once this is approved, you then file for a green card through consular processing. This process can take 2 or more years. Why would an employer wait that long when they can bring you here faster on a temp visa (option a) while you're waiting for the green card process to run its course?

Yes the H1B lottery is highly competitive but is not impossible. Being an RN does not change the process... you are just like everyone else. No special exemptions.

Don't know much about the US citizenship processes. I heard once Nurses pass the NCLEX exam, they will be issued green card with their family.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Who Are Now Americans, How Did You Do It? by TWoods(m): 10:41pm On Jan 23, 2023
Eaganguolly:

Don't know much about the US citizenship processes. I heard once Nurses pass the NCLEX exam, they will be issued green card with their family.

What law permits this? This isn’t Nigeria, there are explicit legal processes by which you obtain a green card, regardless of your degree or occupation.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help Suggest Low Tuition University In Europe/courses / FG To Evacuate 5037 Stranded Nigerians In Libya / Voluntary Jobs In Uk/canada For Graduate & Undergraduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.