Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation (49838 Views)

Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation / US Says International Students On Visas Must Leave Or Risk Deportation If... / Over Unpaid Scholarships: Hundreds Of Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by EcoBrick: 9:42pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nigerians and other immigrant students in the United Kingdom currently face a high-risk of deportation after completion of their studies following a row between UK Home Secretary Suella Braverman and the Department of Education.

According to The Daily Mail, Braverman is currently seeking to cut down the amount of time foreign students can stay in the UK after graduation.

The PUNCH reports that currently, immigrants who travel to Britain to study can stay behind two years after graduation.

But the Department for Education is said to be resisting Braverman’s plan to cut that to just six months, after which they have to have a skilled job that makes them eligible for a work visa or leave the UK.

The Daily Mail further stated that the development is the latest twist in a long-running row over foreign student numbers.

“Braverman has committed to cut immigration and ‘substantially reduce’ the number of unskilled foreign workers coming to Britain, from 239,000 to the ‘tens of thousands’.

“As part of that, she wants to reduce the number of international students who can apply for a graduate post-study work visa, which allows any student who has passed their degree to remain and work in the UK for at least two years.

“But education officials fear this will make the UK less attractive to foreign students, who pay far more than UK students for their courses and are a major source of income for universities”, the media house stated.

The PUNCH reports that the UK is one of the choicest destinations for Nigerian students seeking to study overseas.

Recent data released by the home office of the UK revealed that the number of study visas released to Nigerians increased by 222.8 per cent, with 65,929 issued as of June 2022 as against 20,427 in the same period in 2021.

Similarly, Nigerian students and their dependents in the United Kingdom we’re said to have contributed an estimated £1.9 billion to the economy of the UK, according to an analysis by SBM intelligence.

The data which covered the 2021/2022 academic session estimated that a sum of £680,620,000 were reportedly paid as school fees with a total of £54.3m paid in taxes by working spouses of the students.

Back home, Nigeria’s tertiary education sector faces challenges ranging from poor funding, dearth of research and poor welfare for academic and non-academic staff.

A Professor of Mathematics at the Federal University of Technology, Minna, Gbolahan Bolarin, notee that the government needs to dedicate more efforts to the funding of tertiary education in the country so as to prevent a total collapse of the sector.

The PUNCH reports that over $680m was released by the Central Bank of Nigeria for foreign education in the first nine months of 2022 alone.

https://punchng.com/nigerian-students-in-uk-others-risk-deportation/

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by gaby(m): 9:49pm On Jan 25, 2023
Dem dey mad..

If I were the Nigerian President I would be sponsoring hundreds of thousands of Nigerian youths to the UK in the guise of schooling to go suffocate them for our headquarters.

When dem don choke no be person go tell them to come help restructure this farm wey dem set up for their profit.

168 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by EcoBrick: 9:54pm On Jan 25, 2023
Rough play. I hope it doesn't get to that. After many folks don sell all their properties for Naija ontop Japa matter, dem wan come pull the rug from beneath their feet, just like that??

158 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by unclejb2(m): 9:55pm On Jan 25, 2023
People of Japa will not like this

Pls they should not try that rubbish. I know people who sold properties to flee this hell hole called Nigeria.

108 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by Shegesweet(m): 10:02pm On Jan 25, 2023
My guy go cry how him want do am

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by StrongAlphMale: 10:09pm On Jan 25, 2023
This is exactly why Nigeria urgently needs Peter obi to rescue and liberate this country.

Tinubu is a fool. The fool brought the calamity were suffering from today. The idiot also came to our beloved Edo State and insulted every one of us including our great Oba of Benin. No shaking. We Edolites heard him loud and clear and we'll respond to him on Feb 25.

Obi is coming

214 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by technuel: 10:14pm On Jan 25, 2023
Ok
Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by pocohantas(f): 10:14pm On Jan 25, 2023
gaby:
Dem dey mad..

If I were Nigerian President I would be sponsoring hundreds of thousands of Nigerian youths to the UK in the guise of schooling to go suffocate them for our headquarters.

When dem don choke no be person go tell them to come help restructure this farm wey dem set up for their profit.

How are are they mad, Oga Gaby?

If Nigeria opens her borders to the point you start seeing Togolese and Ghanians every square meter, would you be happy?

I understand both parties here. The country and the (intending) immigrants. We know the party wasn’t going to go on for too long. It just can’t!

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by seanwilliam(m): 10:14pm On Jan 25, 2023
Ok

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by pafestula(m): 10:14pm On Jan 25, 2023
Do I need to blame the UK? The answer is No!

This is what you get when you failed to vote for a right candidate to take you to the promise land, the mistake of last 8 years is still bitting harder, if you like.... Vote for hardship Pro-Max.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 25, 2023
With APC out of the way Nigeria will be better

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by jokedoge: 10:15pm On Jan 25, 2023
Please Vote for PETER OBI for a better Nigeria

God bless you

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by omoredia: 10:15pm On Jan 25, 2023
If u don't respect ur country and make it work for all nobody will respect you

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by damble: 10:15pm On Jan 25, 2023
Ko buru

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by Lionize: 10:15pm On Jan 25, 2023
I no blame dem, na we find dem go their country.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by DrMuzungu(m): 10:16pm On Jan 25, 2023
gaby:
Dem dey mad..
If I were Nigerian President I would be sponsoring hundreds of thousands of Nigerian youths to the UK in the guise of schooling to go suffocate them for our headquarters.

And all that would achieve is the UK banning Nigerian students entirely, even if they are genuinely wanting to learn and not cause trouble.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by ipobarecriminals: 10:16pm On Jan 25, 2023
sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by ipobarecriminals: 10:16pm On Jan 25, 2023
angry
Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by specialmati(m): 10:16pm On Jan 25, 2023
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by Femisol(m): 10:16pm On Jan 25, 2023
Tragic embarassed embarassed cry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by baby124: 10:16pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nigeria Government need to ban their schools from coming to recruit.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by omoredia: 10:16pm On Jan 25, 2023
That will be the case. In every country the worst are always the first to think japa

4 Likes

sad
sad
Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by BennyDGreat: 10:17pm On Jan 25, 2023
pocohantas:

If Nigeria opens her borders to the point you start seeing Togolese and Ghanians every square meter, would you be happy?

I understand both parties here. The country and the (intending) immigrants. We know the party wasn’t going to go on for too long. It just can’t!

They are part of the issues in this nation...
They built the nation for their profit and selfish desires. It's fundamental part of the current crisis Nigeria experiences

15 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by Sibbb: 10:17pm On Jan 25, 2023
No where to hide for the Japarians, if you like nor vote OBI , na una sabi

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by RedChiefPriest: 10:18pm On Jan 25, 2023
Barman play me there's fire on the mountain by fela anikulapo and cardi B

Dj bring me 2 cups of bitterleaf wine and 12 plates of asun.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by StrongAlphMale: 10:19pm On Jan 25, 2023
pocohantas:

Seems you're out of touch with reality.

Nigeria borders is open, hence the reason we have so many fulanis from niger republic here in Nigeria. We have foreigners from chad, congo and other Africa countries too without migration papers or legal documents.

Nigeria is a country where anybody from any country can enter and nothing will happen. This is exactly why Nigeria urgently needs Peter obi to rescue and liberate this country asap

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by mameme: 10:19pm On Jan 25, 2023
cool
Re: Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation by BabaOfLagos: 10:19pm On Jan 25, 2023
It's not for the fact that most Nigerians don't know this procedures and steps on how to travel out and get permanence residence, we wouldn't be seeing all this.

Little things we are ignorant of...

For those who understands Basketball profits.. See the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/7169675/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

BUK Student: Hisbah Arrested Us In Our Hostels, Conducted HIV, Pregnancy Tests / List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) / 7 Nigerian Universities With The Strongest Alumni Bodies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.