Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,130 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Is Bride Price Really Compulsory - Photo - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Bride Price Really Compulsory - Photo (476 Views)

Man Discovers His 4 Children Aren't His Via Compulsory DNA Test At US Embassy / How Much Is Bride's Price In Nigeria?? / Is Bride Price Paid During Introduction Or During Traditional Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Bride Price Really Compulsory - Photo by princeemmma(m): 10:27am On Jan 26, 2023
Imagine just going to ask for a girl hand in marriage, and you are given a huge pile of list

In a situation whereby the father, the mother, all other family members who see it as a way to lick from the portion in front of them

Even when i got married, i made it clear to my inlaws that i wasn't planning a huge marriage, just medium marriage, they wrote a long list, i did not argue, i went to the market and got a little i could afford.

Why is it really compulsory having a huge list like this, are they selling there daughter
Re: Is Bride Price Really Compulsory - Photo by Mindlog: 12:53pm On Jan 26, 2023
When suitors come to marry from kindred, do your people give long list?
Re: Is Bride Price Really Compulsory - Photo by Dogalmighty17: 1:04pm On Jan 26, 2023
Bride price on a non virgin? That's fraud! Any family that collects bride price on a daughter that is not a virgin has attracted curses on themselves.

1 Like

Re: Is Bride Price Really Compulsory - Photo by frozen70(f): 8:40pm On Jan 26, 2023
princeemmma:
Imagine just going to ask for a girl hand in marriage, and you are given a huge pile of list

In a situation whereby the father, the mother, all other family members who see it as a way to lick from the portion in front of them

Even when i got married, i made it clear to my inlaws that i wasn't planning a huge marriage, just medium marriage, they wrote a long list, i did not argue, i went to the market and got a little i could afford.

Why is it really compulsory having a huge list like this, are they selling there daughter

In a certain state in the East I don't want to mention the name so that I don't add to their problems

If you are given a list and you don't complete, you must complete it before burial because you will start afresh by that time before they can allow you to go ahead with the burial

I wish people will be allowed to come with what they have and what they can afford to bring when marriage ceremony is done, instead of this lengthy list
Re: Is Bride Price Really Compulsory - Photo by brightest5050: 6:45am On Jan 27, 2023
frozen70:

In a certain state in the East I don't want to mention the name so that I don't add to their problems

If you are given a list and you don't complete, you must complete it before burial because you will start afresh by that time before they can allow you to go ahead with the burial

I wish people will be allowed to come with what they have and what they can afford to bring when marriage ceremony is done, instead of this lengthy list

Meaning they have good record keeping system cheesy grin I won't be surprised if there daughter's are still in their father's home and single.

Bride price Is very important under native law and custom but customs and laws change with time as they are made for man and not man for custom. Outrageous Bride price cost should be reduced but payment of Bride price should not be eradicated
Re: Is Bride Price Really Compulsory - Photo by frozen70(f): 6:53am On Jan 27, 2023
brightest5050:

Meaning they have good record keeping system cheesy grin I won't be surprised if there daughter's are still in their father's home and single.

Bride price Is very important under native law and custom but customs and laws change with time as they are made for man and not man for custom. Outrageous Bride price cost should be reduced but payment of Bride price should not be eradicated

The main issue here is the crazy marriage list not the bride price

To me, bride prize is the main commitment and can't be ruled out

But that long crazy list is what is scaring men
Re: Is Bride Price Really Compulsory - Photo by brightest5050: 7:07am On Jan 27, 2023
frozen70:

The main issue here is the crazy marriage list not the bride price

To me, bride prize is the main commitment and can't be ruled out

But that long crazy list is what is scaring men

We saying the same thing, the bride price cost Is the list that will have to fulfilled before payment of bride price.

The lady in question also have a role to play by telling her father or mother (for the mother to tell the father) that the man is a young man and much demand should not be asked of him but the issue is each family that their daughter have marry feel the need to do to other suitor what the extended family as a unit have done to theirs. For those in the East I think this is really the issue.

Secondly the endless bride price list could just be a means for the elders to promote intra ethnic marriage because attimes special consideration of the list is done when the suitor is of same village

(1) (Reply)

Fairly Used LG Home Theater For Sale / Peak Yoghurt Swelling In The Fridge / Relocation Sales For Sale Within Lagos And Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.