Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,968 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith (42551 Views)

Just Like The Biblical Joseph, Have You Ever Turned Down A Sexual Advance? / Hillsong Worship Leader Denounces His Faith As Christian, Says I’m Genuinely Los / HIV Positive Man Dies After He Stopped Taking His Drugs To Show Off His Faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by jaxxy(m): 4:51pm On Jan 29, 2023
Denzel is a Christian also bt he doesn't wide range of movie role that still have a good meaning.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Danisaint112(m): 4:52pm On Jan 29, 2023
Chris my man. Funny as hell. That collabo with Jackie is just a banger. But I once heard he is bisexual and 70% or that has changed.

Well anyone can accept God at any time. This is a welcome development and proves even in the worst places there is a faithful follower.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Sunnyski: 4:53pm On Jan 29, 2023
The Fifth Element.

I love Chris Tucker in that movie.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by emmyN(m): 4:53pm On Jan 29, 2023
Beautiful. Rush hour was showing earlier this morning on TNT and Chris' role just came natural for him. Wish him the best in his career.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by fredoooooo: 4:53pm On Jan 29, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Satan never gives up, he knows man too much and knows that he can still catch them.
No be lie..
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by JOemmy(m): 4:59pm On Jan 29, 2023
This handsome guy is one of my favorite Hollywood actor the guy is extremely very funny his purging eye balls and cuteness really stands him out.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Bodydiialect57: 5:10pm On Jan 29, 2023
Thank God for his stand for his faith in Christ. He saw through the allurement to drag him back to the world and he rejected it.

Just like Moses in Hebrews 11:24-26 (KJV)

By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.

1 Like

Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Menclothing: 5:15pm On Jan 29, 2023
Good man
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by KosiGee(m): 5:16pm On Jan 29, 2023
Friday movie cost less than $5millon to make and Bernie Mac, Witherspoon, Nia Long including Chris Tucker didn’t earn up to $10k for their roles.
Next Friday was done on a budget of about $11million and Friday After Next didn’t not cost up to $15million to make. Actors were paid in tens of thousands infact Ice Cube was criticised for underpaying the actors.

Something doesn’t quite add up here. Chris Tucker got his biggest pay in Rush hour movie. Ice Cube wouldn’t pay that much to anyone in his movies and I don’t believe this story.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Agbegbaorogboye: 5:21pm On Jan 29, 2023
marlow1962:
Ok
But I love weed, and weed hasn’t killed anyone I know.
Yeah like you don't know Bob Marley
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Agbegbaorogboye: 5:27pm On Jan 29, 2023
etrange:
Nice he has personal standards. We should all do whatever makes us happy and fulfilled and let others do thiers. It's also important to remember that people's situations are different and no one is a standard. So whoever takes up that job eventually isn't necessarily a bad person. Many Christian actors curse and smoke on TV to make the acting look as real as possible so as to send the desired message. Besides, it's easier to reject money when you have it. I pray you make the kind of money that will make you never to compromise your moral standards.
This is wrong
You're inadvertently claiming that only the rich have the luxury of having high moral standards.
Well, life has taught us the poor have susceptibility to keeping high moral standards than the rich.
So, money is not a precursor to high moral standards.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by zoedew: 5:34pm On Jan 29, 2023
FarmTech:
By Mel Johnson

Actor and comedian Chris Tucker today is a Christian celebrity devoted to his faith. So, when he received an offer for a film conflicting with his Christian beliefs, Chris turned it down even though it cost him $10 million!

Many recognize Chris Tucker from the Rush Hour movies he starred in with Jackie Chan. But some may also remember him from the R-rated 1995 film Friday.

Friday told the story of two marijuana-smoking friends and ended up grossing $27 million. But not long after appearing in the film, Chris gave his heart over to Jesus.

Chris Tucker Today Keeps His Comedy Clean
Becoming a born-again Christian changed the types of movie roles Chris Tucker would consider and it also impacted his stand-up comedy.

"I never was a raunchy, raunchy comic but I didn't think about what I was saying because I was young," he said.

As a comedian, Chris Tucker today keeps his stand-up clean and free of foul language. And though some comics might see that as too challenging, Chris believes it actually makes him better at his craft.

“Being a Christian helps me in comedy. I have to talk about other stuff,” he explained.
“Normally, most comics talk about stuff that's easy-maybe cussing or saying something raunchy. I have to dig deeper to find something that's still funny and not raunchy. It's harder. I like the challenge.”

Chris Tucker Turns Down Next Friday Role
Accepting Christ means turning away from the ways of this world and choosing to live in a way that honors Jesus. And this crossroads came for Chris Tucker after giving his life over to the Lord.

When Ice Cube, Chris’ co-star from the film Friday, approached him about filming Next Friday, Chris shocked him by turning the role down.

We were ready to pay Chris Tucker $10-12m to do Next Friday, but he turned us down for religious reasons,” Ice Cube revealed on social media. “He didn’t want to cuss or smoke weed on camera anymore.”

Chris Tucker today is a different man than when he first appeared in the movie, Friday.

And because the message of the film didn’t align with his Christian values, he knew turning down a role in the sequel was the right thing to do, no matter what it cost him.

“One of the reasons why I didn’t do the second one [was] because of the weed,” he said. “Because I said, ‘Man, that movie became a phenomenon. … I don’t want everybody smoking weed.’... It probably was good for me [to turn it down] because it kept me moving, you know, to the next phase and next movies. But that was one of the reasons. I said I didn’t want to … get everybody smoking weed.”

Way to go Chris! It’s great to see a person with such strong values in Hollywood!

https://www.godupdates.com/chris-tucker-today-christian-celebrity
I celebrate his Christian values and work ethic. God bless him.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:35pm On Jan 29, 2023
Good for him
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Dshocker(m): 5:38pm On Jan 29, 2023
I am not talking about ordinary citizens, i mean the so called men of God in Nigeria.

No Nigerian man of God will ever turn down the offer.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by etrange: 6:07pm On Jan 29, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

This is wrong
You're inadvertently claiming that only the rich have the luxury of having high moral standards.
Well, life has taught us the poor have susceptibility to keeping high moral standards than the rich.
So, money is not a precursor to high moral standards.

Isn't that a rather narrow understanding of what I wrote? That a rich man has a higher tendency of rejecting such an amount of money doesn't mean only the rich has the luxury of having high moral standards. It means that as humans, we have higher chances of not falling for the things we have in abundance. Someone with a German passport isn't going to easily fall for the prospects of traveling to the US. A poor farmer who grows cassava isn't likely to fall for a cassava bribe. The idea of sneaking out to play in the stream might appeal more to the rich kid than the poor kid. This is why I said "it is important to remember that people's situations are different". It's not primarily about wealth, but rather about taking coal to New Castle. I only mentioned money cause that is what this particular case is about.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Spandau: 6:20pm On Jan 29, 2023
FarmTech:
How many Nigerian christians can do that? Rejecting N10 million dollars? That is one way people sell their soul to the devil. If you earn a living or make money by encouraging sin, you have sold your soul to the devil. No rituals is needed.

Matthew 13:41:
the Son of Man will send out his angels to gather up out of his Kingdom all those who cause people to sin and all others who do evil things,

Matthew 12:30
Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Luke 17:1-3
Temptations to sin are sure to come, but woe to the one through whom they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were cast into the sea than that he should cause one of these little ones to sin.

They will collect the money and still share testimony on top at Bishop Oyedepo's temple.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Spandau: 6:22pm On Jan 29, 2023
zoedew:

I celebrate his Christian values and work ethic. God bless him.

I wish Olamide and all those scallywag Nigerian artists will learn from this. Olamide is the worst. Anytime he sings, it's always a subliminal satanic message that is streamed into people's subconscious.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Lanxoe96(m): 7:03pm On Jan 29, 2023
etrange:
Nice he has personal standards. We should all do whatever makes us happy and fulfilled and let others do thiers. It's also important to remember that people's situations are different and no one is a standard. So whoever takes up that job eventually isn't necessarily a bad person. Many Christian actors curse and smoke on TV to make the acting look as real as possible so as to send the desired message. Besides, it's easier to reject money when you have it. I pray you make the kind of money that will make you never to compromise your moral standards.
Thanks for your sage, it's easier to reject money when you have money...

1 Like

Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Kay25(m): 7:17pm On Jan 29, 2023
Kudos to Chris but he is good at a what he does even if he is not raunchy in comics he is still very humorous that Hollywood would bend to have him
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by obam41363: 7:59pm On Jan 29, 2023
Now that's a man of principle. But if na person like kelvin hart, baba will take the dough without thinking twice. Hart has one of the nastiest comic styles I have ever seen
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by obam41363: 8:02pm On Jan 29, 2023
uzohrome:
He is a complete fool ... Or maybe he had made lots of money and $10m is nothing to him.

No he is not a fool. You will never understand the mystery that comes with being changed by Christ untill u experience it first hand.

1 Like

Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by marlow1962(m): 8:15pm On Jan 29, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

Yeah like you don't know Bob Marley
I don’t know, pls tell me.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by FarmTech(m): 8:28pm On Jan 29, 2023
ehissi:

I don't doubt that Chris tucker's life as a Christian influenced his content as a comedian, but him turning down next Friday because of his faith?

That's just BooShit, utter rubbish.......Do your research, Chris tucker turned down Next Friday because he committed himself to the Rush Hour franchise and his role in that franchise wasn't all that "Religious"!!

The actors where paid peanuts for Friday......

Chris was only paid $10,000 to do Friday and it was a hit!!

Faizon love was paid only $2,500....

The executive producer of the movie (Ice-cube) didn't even bother to offer Chris and some of his Co-stars extra cash for their work there, despite the fact that it was a low budget movie that brought in bucks, over $27million in box office.....(that may seems small but for a movies produced by a gangstar rapper back in the day, it was considered successful).

When the time came to do the sequel next Friday, Ice Cube offered to double their pay up to scale, double $2,500, how much is that $5,000? Double up $10,000 up to scale for Chris and tell me how much he will make.....?

It was Faizon love that convinced Chris to take up a role in Rush hour for a whooping $3million dollars eventually cornering over $50million from the sequel, while Faizon love went on to act in the replacements for a $100,000......

Chris in my opinion only made that statement out of respect for ice cube because Friday shot Chris Tucker into Hollywood limelight and it would be Disrespectful for a brother to turned down another over cash in the hood.

Chris Tucker's role as Smokey was key to the movies success and endearment to fans, so when Next Friday was announced, fans wanted Chris Tucker in it.....

They only offered him $10million hoping he will give Next Friday a rethink and ditch the Rush Hour sequel........

Which blackman will ditch a Hollywood movie with a co star like Jackie Chan and a host of others, with a box office opening of $240m that paid you $3million for the first movie in a sequel, to feature in a movie sequel that paid you $10,000 on the first movie and the executive producer only offered you $10million hoping it will entice you to break a commitment you have for a Hollywood blockbuster series!!!??

I leave that question to the Nairaland panel of judges.......

If he havent repented yet, I pray he does.
IbileIfe:

Nigerian actors will even fall over themselves for the role and defend it as a way of showing how bad smoking weed is and use it to preach and teach and still pay tithe from the $10 million.
And go on to produce Good Friday.
That is Nigerian mentality. Teaching that evil is bad by practicing evil. I remember back then in University when people were saying that they chase women and attend parties to get experience. That the experience will help them teach their children that such live is bad bc they, like Solomon, have tasted it. That is lie from the pit of hell.
Blissguts:

But the church ain't helping matters either. There are lots of talents that have left the church and "sold their soul" to the devil.

I've seen this, and see the problem it potends and I've kept brainstorming on how to remedy this situation myself....

But then, the church has been a harm than good in helping Christians not to fall to these kinds of path. If you are hungry, bro you'll accept any deal that'll put food on your table.... Food can make anyone do stuff and hey it ain't a test of faith either..... Its nature playing out.

What stops our churches to organize stuff that'll equip Christians and tend them ? Imagine tending the gift / talent / purpose of a man and he makes it in life without bowing to the Babylonian system ? In that case when you say God lifts, or one can make it without bowing, it'll be very easy to accept and already you got a witness cos he or she made it without bowing.

But if the church had put in place structure to aid believers in that path, such that we pour out our resources to celebrate good / futuristic girls, build on the talent of our guys, help our men by engaging their wives etc, we would have had our own world / sphere where the girls don't believe that you must sleep with someone or dress like deity (Beyonce, etc) to gain fame; the guys don't believe in getting so low as to bowing for idols just to hamma through yahoo+, the men don't hate their wives cos they are gainfully employed (and thereby helps faithfulness )......

But how can you bear witness when in the true sense you haven't handled an earth shattering breakthrough through your talent / gift ?

Even Abraham lied cos he didn't want to be killed....

How about our music ministers ? They never help upcoming.

See that guy that sang Beautiful day cover, how many gospel ministers came for him both in Nigeria or other country ? Now Sony have signed him. And would you expect him not to bow to the system ?

Its hard for individuals like Tucker. Now imagine those who haven't even made it, and as humans they want to be heard.

Tomorrow now, don jazzy will sign that sister / brother, or Akon will lend a helping hand or davido or wiskid and you'll expect the brother or sister to not go the other path ?

Like I said, I'm brainstorming to see how one can help. Maybe its my purpose maybe just me being concerned cos if I tell you how this thing Literally pains me, you will understand. Even with me listing it in detail here too, if you can see through, you'll get a glimpse.

I respect pastor Chris Oyakhilome on this as he helped gospel ministers (and now you can imagine, its a fact that lots of good songs keep flowing through those many people he gas raised, which should make one imagine what if he didn't come through, so these would have been used to worship satan instead ).

Imagine if our churches roll out billions to equip our members and sponsor their drives to make their mark even in the secular world.

And the church has the money. But what they may jot know is that it'll even bring more prosperity to the church.

Imagine if dangote was a believer or elon musk a genuine believer ? Can the church lack ?

This is what they don't know.

And greed. Their kids get well educated but they can't pretend they don't know the importance of education even to encourage researches.

And what's the result ? The church is praying for what ordinarily she can solve.

God has given the enablement.
I agree with most things you said. The church really need to innovate and make good use of talents. If you can do sth about it, I encourage you to pray and try.
I will also like to tell every Christian that if you fall for temptation, you will have no excuse b4 God on that day of judgement. Because God will never allow a temptation that is greater than what u can handle to come your way. So hold on and trust God.

1 Like

Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by FarmTech(m): 8:32pm On Jan 29, 2023
Eriokanmi:
They'd gladly take that role in Nigeria. Haven't you heard of unknown Bishops who attended a politician's gathering after their palms had been rubbed, despite CAN body rejecting his same faith ticket grin?
Very possible for many.
bizzibodi:

So na righteousness 2 be farmtech?
No. We are on different lanes but moving to same destination.
olaeffect:

Even if we tell you how many Nigerians have done greater than this, people will still insult them.

In my own opinion, I will say I have turned down way more than this if you do some calculations😁

Calculations as in how much is $10m to Chris Talkers networth and how much is the Naira I have turned down compared to my networth?

Abi you think say na everybody devil fit tempt with $10m 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Abi you want make devil broke🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Keep it up. Small battles prepare you for bigger ones.
Truely, Devil is wise oo. He wont do that. grin
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Ntipia: 8:37pm On Jan 29, 2023
So many Born again christains supports Tinubu and APC in Nigeria.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by FarmTech(m): 8:41pm On Jan 29, 2023
Spandau:

I wish Olamide and all those scallywag Nigerian artists will learn from this. Olamide is the worst. Anytime he sings, it's always a subliminal satanic message that is streamed into people's subconscious.
I really pity parents who allow their children to look up to immoral celebs. There portion in hell will be unimmaginable. And so many parents are just like that.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by uzohrome(m): 8:43pm On Jan 29, 2023
obam41363:

No he is not a fool. You will never understand the mystery that comes with being changed by Christ untill u experience it first hand.

Bro study and ask questions, don't be caged with religious beliefs
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by FarmTech(m): 8:56pm On Jan 29, 2023
Ballzproblem2:
yeah read it on a website called celebrity net worth a long time ago ,he tried,if na me I will play the role and ask God for forgiveness
What if you die? What do u gain if you gain the whole world and lose your soul? That is very risky.
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Yankee101: 8:57pm On Jan 29, 2023
Be a good example
You’re influencing many lives

1 Like

Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by Agbegbaorogboye: 9:02pm On Jan 29, 2023
etrange:

Isn't that a rather narrow understanding of what I wrote? That a rich man has a higher tendency of rejecting such an amount of money doesn't mean only the rich has the luxury of having high moral standards. It means that as humans, we have higher chances of not falling for the things we have in abundance. Someone with a German passport isn't going to easily fall for the prospects of traveling to the US. A poor farmer who grows cassava isn't likely to fall for a cassava bribe. The idea of sneaking out to play in the stream might appeal more to the rich kid than the poor kid. This is why I said "it is important to remember that people's situations are different". It's not primarily about wealth, but rather about taking coal to New Castle. I only mentioned money cause that is what this particular case is about.
Which implies greed, avarice, selfishness can be cured by having abundance of the object of your greed.
A polygamist is less likely to cheat
A bank MD is less likely to engage in fraud
A sitting governor is less likely to commit electoral fraud
A teacher is less likely to encourage cheating in exams
Are these true?
Is deterrent a better cure for human tendencies or indulgence?
Re: Chris Tucker Turned Down $10 Million To Stay True To His Faith by etrange: 9:18pm On Jan 29, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

Which implies greed, avarice, selfishness can be cured by having abundance of the object of your greed.
A polygamist is less likely to cheat
A bank MD is less likely to engage in fraud
A sitting governor is less likely to commit electoral fraud
A teacher is less likely to encourage cheating in exams
Are these true?
Is deterrent a better cure for human tendencies or indulgence?

Ok... whatever.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Honour My Word Above My Name / This Female Nigerian Anglican Priest Will Officiate Wedding Of Gay Bisi Alimi / Burial Photos Of Pastor Shuaibu Yohanna Who Was Murdered By Mob In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.