Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira (56593 Views)

This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain / Oppo Now Officially In Nigeria / Smartphone Design Is Officially Dead, The Beasts Are Already Here - Naijatechguy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by ExudeLoveToAll: 10:47pm On Jan 30, 2023
Inali:
What's starlink?

It is a link that has star grin

Na joke I dey grin

Starlink is a satellite, operated by SpaceX, owned by the world's richest man Elon Musk aims to deliver a global broadband network, using a constellation of Low Earth Orbit to provide high-speed internet coverage with capacity to penetrate into rural and geographically isolated areas.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Magma101: 10:53pm On Jan 30, 2023
ModCaller:
Has anyone made the payment in naira?

Do they have a bank account to transfer to?

If payment is online via their normal channel, it will not work because it will be based on dollar not naira.

I can confirm that you cannot pay in Naira or use Naira card.

You will have to use your dollar denominated Master or Visa card and you will be charged $488.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Magma101: 10:55pm On Jan 30, 2023
rookidmart:

How quick was the delivery?

2 - 4 Weeks if you previously deposited $99. Your balance will be $488 (this includes your first month subscription).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by MrBONE2(m): 10:57pm On Jan 30, 2023
Bonzojoko:
me too. I have tried both eco bank and access bank ATM cards and it declined my payment. Why will they change to Naira payment when banks won't acknowledge the payment. What kind of scam is this?
😂 grin 😁
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Magma101: 10:58pm On Jan 30, 2023
Bonzojoko:
me too. I have tried both eco bank and access bank ATM cards and it declined my payment. Why will they change to Naira payment when banks won't acknowledge the payment. What kind of scam is this?

Nigerian banks are the problem, not Starlink.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Bonzojoko: 11:26pm On Jan 30, 2023
Magma101:

Nigerian banks are the problem, not Starlink.
but why not verify with the Nigerian banks/government before boldly updating on their webpage that you can pay in Naira. Isn't that a form of scam. Did they just wake up and post you can buy starlink in Naira on their website without making necessary preparations or seeking necessary approval from Nigerian government. I am sure both Elon musk and his representatives are aware of the dollar problem in Nigeria and the dollar transaction limit in Nigerian banks. It's even on every website discussing starlink limitations in Nigeria. Elon musk can't claim he is ignorant about it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by shegzhkn: 11:29pm On Jan 30, 2023
oyekanwahab:

Love your PC, make and model??
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Bonzojoko: 12:49am On Jan 31, 2023
Shoodboi:
Cool. I'll get this in the next few months. I pay around 19k/month for 90gb on Swift and the speed is shitty.
19k for 90gb. Seriously? I pay 20k for 200gb using Airtel router monthly unlimited subscription plan and they still give you 10gb daily till the monthly subscription ends whenever you exhaust the initial 200gb. The speed isn't bad either. It's an average of 40mbps(5MB/S download speed) for both upload and download. The downside is sometimes Airtel network becomes so bad you can't even watch a YouTube video at 360p and this can last for hours before returning back to it's usual 40mbps speed. Starlink remains the best option if only we can truly pay in Naira. Imagine downloading at 20MB/S normally and it's unlimited monthly data subscription

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by seanwilliam(m): 3:19am On Jan 31, 2023
The subscription fee is fair enough . But the installation fees should be subsidized .. something around 150-200k is perfect so that more people will be able to afford it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by ModCaller: 6:24am On Jan 31, 2023
Magma101:

You will have to use your dollar denominated Master or Visa card and you will be charged $488.

Thanks for this information. It's the most valuable information on this thread

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by CSTRR: 7:28am On Jan 31, 2023
Lannister360:

What is starling ?
Wetin this one de talk ni ?
Nigeria when people never see food chop na them de put hardware price for 268k, them never ready to do business.
Tech workers would use it, especially those working from home.

Someone who earns $3000 a month has no problem buying that thing and paying 20k monthly sub.

And a lot of young Nigerians are earning that high.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by NinjaXmetahuman: 8:55am On Jan 31, 2023
Yeah. I got the mail yesterday and I placed an order.

There monthly subscription is 20k whch is absolutely cool and affordable.

But I don't think average jor can afford their startup kit. They are probably still targeting small business.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by NinjaXmetahuman: 9:03am On Jan 31, 2023
rookidmart:

This is nice.

My quote in the linked thread refers:

If they're pricing in naira at official rates then although the setup fee is more expensive than contemporary fiber offerings (ipnx, fiberone, et al.), the value is in reliability and cheaper internet.

The speedtest screenshot above suggests >200mbps for ~₩19k which the competitors do not offer.
Fiberone and Ipnx both max out at 152Mbps and 150Mbps for ₩66,750 and ₩62,350 respectively.

It is worthy to note that Ipnx offers Gigabit internet (1000mbps) under its FOS Xtreme plans (FOS extreme 1000) but that would set you back ₩268,750 monthly, which is basically the one-time cost of the Starlink hardware.

If Starlink can prove its mettle by offering consistently fast internet (per Elon Musk, planned speed is 10gbps) at these relatively low prices, and resilience in bad weather conditions then it is poised to take over the market.

A death knell for traditional fiber offerings would be if Starlink offered a way to pay for the hardware costs in installments from your monthly subscription fee.
well said.

I read starlink is planning to cap the speed at 1TB starting February this year.

That doesn't sound nice.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by NinjaXmetahuman: 9:07am On Jan 31, 2023
Magma101:

yes
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Magma101: 9:22am On Jan 31, 2023
Bonzojoko:
but why not verify with the Nigerian banks/government before boldly updating on their webpage that you can pay in Naira. Isn't that a form of scam. Did they just wake up and post you can buy starlink in Naira on their website without making necessary preparations or seeking necessary approval from Nigerian government. I am sure both Elon musk and his representatives are aware of the dollar problem in Nigeria and the dollar transaction limit in Nigerian banks. It's even on every website discussing starlink limitations in Nigeria. Elon musk can't claim he is ignorant about it

Dear friend, Starlink will not fix the problem of your country for you. You will need to hold your leaders responsible for that.

There is no scam here. Everything has been discussed and agreed with the NCC. Our naira is not a stable currency, and you would not expect a satellite-based internet service provider to build its business model on an unstable currency.

My dear, this is the more reason we should all be interested on who governs this country. Without being so political, I am sure you get what I mean, get your PVC.

Finally, if you're really interested in this service, you will need a dom account and a dollar denomicated credit or debit card. I honestly do not think in the near future, Starlink will accept naira. At least not in its current form or state.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by lereinter(m): 9:30am On Jan 31, 2023
Mrkumareze:
Does it come with Nigerian Ip or a different IP

Chief spotted

5 Likes

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 31, 2023
Bonzojoko:
19k for 90gb. Seriously? I pay 20k for 200gb using Airtel router monthly unlimited subscription plan and they still give you 10gb daily till the monthly subscription ends whenever you exhaust the initial 200gb. The speed isn't bad either. It's an average of 40mbps(5MB/S download speed) for both upload and download. The downside is sometimes Airtel network becomes so bad you can't even watch a YouTube video at 360p and this can last for hours before returning back to it's usual 40mbps speed. Starlink remains the best option if only we can truly pay in Naira. Imagine downloading at 20MB/S normally and it's unlimited monthly data subscription

I use airtel too. But as you said, their downtime is horrible. That was why I got that nonsense Swift. It's downtime isn't as horrible as Airtel but it's uptime isn't any better either.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Magma101: 9:59am On Jan 31, 2023
seanwilliam:
The subscription fee is fair enough . But the installation fees should be subsidized .. something around 150-200k is perfect so that more people will be able to afford it.

Bros, who go subsidize am na? Even petrol, subsidy no dey 2023 budget.

Starlink isn't for the boys. The service is for the men.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Magma101: 10:02am On Jan 31, 2023
NinjaXmetahuman:
well said.

I read starlink is planning to cap the speed at 1TB starting February this year.

That doesn't sound nice.

The FUB isn't that bad anyway.

See below an expert explanation quoted below:

"There is no hard data limit. Your speeds will be slowed down during times of congestion after you go over 1TB, but you’ll still be able to stream like you normally do. HD streams don’t require even 10 mbps. There is no need to reduce streaming resolutions to save data to stay under 1TB.

To reiterate, going over the Priority Access limit just means potentially slower speeds. You aren’t charged for extra data, and your internet isn’t cut off.

If you notice the Basic Data speeds aren’t sufficient for your purposes, then that would be the time to look into purchasing additional data."

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by aieromon(m): 10:08am On Jan 31, 2023
Magma101:

I honestly do not think in the near future, Starlink will accept naira. At least not in its current form or state.

Yet they changed the currency on their website from USD to NGN and registered the business entity in Nigeria?

Let's remain positive.

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) confirmed to Nairametrics that it has licensed Starlink, a satellite internet constellation operated by SpaceX, providing satellite Internet access coverage to 32 countries. This licensing followed a visit to Nigeria by the company’s team in May last year.

“The company received two licenses, which include the International Gateway license and Internet Service Provider (ISP) license, and will be trading as Starlink Internet Services Nigeria Ltd. According to NCC, the International Gateway license has a 10-year tenure while the ISP license is to last for five years. Both licenses take effect from May 2022 and may be renewed after the expiration.”

https://nairametrics.com/2022/05/27/breaking-elon-musk-tweets-nigeria-has-approved-starlink/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Magma101: 10:30am On Jan 31, 2023
aieromon:

Yet they changed the currency on their website from USD to NGN and registered the business entity in Nigeria?

Let's remain positive.

https://nairametrics.com/2022/05/27/breaking-elon-musk-tweets-nigeria-has-approved-starlink/

Even though it appears you artfully ignored "At least not in its current form or state" from my statement, reality and expectation aren't always the same. Economic realities have nothing to do with just "remaining positive".

3 Likes

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by ModCaller: 10:30am On Jan 31, 2023
NinjaXmetahuman:
Yeah. I got the mail yesterday and I placed an order.

There monthly subscription is 20k whch is absolutely cool and affordable.

But I don't think average jor can afford their startup kit. They are probably still targeting small business.

It's is NOT 20k.

You have to buy the dollar at black market rate to fund your dollar denominated card. That 19k/20k is based on the official rate which won't work because all Naira denominated cards are blocked from foreign transactions.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by ModCaller: 10:32am On Jan 31, 2023
aieromon:

Let's remain positive.

Let's hope it's a real office and we will be allowed to pay via bank transfer or through Nigerian payment processors
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Magma101: 10:36am On Jan 31, 2023
ModCaller:

It's is NOT 20k.

You have to buy the dollar at black market rate to fund your dollar denominated card. That 19k/20k is based on the official rate which won't work because all Naira denominated cards are blocked from foreign transactions.

Exactly!
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by NinjaXmetahuman: 11:00am On Jan 31, 2023
ModCaller:

It's is NOT 20k.

I don't think so.
The whole point of announcing their presence in Nigeria is for you to pay in your local currency.

Although I placed the order with dollar Mastercard but I'm sure they will set up everything you can can place the order on naira debit card soon.

But I couldn't wait till then cos I need to change my current isp asap.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by NinjaXmetahuman: 11:43am On Jan 31, 2023
Magma101:

The FUB isn't that bad anyway.

See below an expert explanation quoted below:

"There is no hard data limit. Your speeds will be slowed down during times of congestion after you go over 1TB, but you’ll still be able to stream like you normally do. HD streams don’t require even 10 mbps. There is no need to reduce streaming resolutions to save data to stay under 1TB.

To reiterate, going over the Priority Access limit just means potentially slower speeds. You aren’t charged for extra data, and your internet isn’t cut off.

If you notice the Basic Data speeds aren’t sufficient for your purposes, then that would be the time to look into purchasing additional data."
although I agree it will likely still be the best in Nigeria atleast based on how cheap the subscription is compared to the competition.

But 1tb Is kind of a bummer if you plan to use it for business and you are not planning to restrict the amount of data your workers use.
But then, if you can sub again after threshold, then that shouldn't be a problem for businesses.

But it's gonna suck a little as a family plan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by dustmalik: 12:20pm On Jan 31, 2023
NinjaXmetahuman:
I don't think so.
The whole point of announcing their presence in Nigeria is for you to pay in your local currency.

Although I placed the order with dollar Mastercard but I'm sure they will set up everything you can can place the order on naira debit card soon.

But I couldn't wait till then cos I need to change my current isp asap.
I am also of the emboldened opinion. The implementation of the naira currency pricing was made yesterday. I believe they are yet to fully implement it, because when trying to pay, a dollar currency equivalent is shown.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Lannister360: 1:26pm On Jan 31, 2023
CSTRR:

Tech workers would use it, especially those working from home.

Someone who earns $3000 a month has no problem buying that thing and paying 20k monthly sub.

And a lot of young Nigerians are earning that high.

Did you just say "a lot" ?

My friend stop saying rubbish, you and I know that very very very very few young people in Nigeria earns that much so don't quote me and start defending the rubbish you just said please, it'll be very annoying please.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Petersamuel8(m): 1:27pm On Jan 31, 2023
only Nigeria in the whole of Africa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by ike007(m): 1:29pm On Jan 31, 2023
Abeg mke una yan me when the cheat comot

3 Likes

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Cough10: 1:30pm On Jan 31, 2023
D

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Activate Mtn 100mb For N100 And 50mb For N50 Data Plan / See The Countries That Use The Most Gigabyte / Airtel 6x Time Bonus Code | How To Get 6x Bonus Your Recharge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.