Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,759 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira (56578 Views)

This Starlink Is Expensive To Maintain / Oppo Now Officially In Nigeria / Smartphone Design Is Officially Dead, The Beasts Are Already Here - Naijatechguy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by zoghys: 1:31pm On Jan 31, 2023
JUMO95:
if you are a working boi avoid this starlink.
you can be easily traced with this kind of information

Which one is working boi?.
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Ournolly: 1:34pm On Jan 31, 2023
Tried to make payment and was not authenticated by GtBank.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Amigos12(m): 1:34pm On Jan 31, 2023
How I which they will diversify into Satellite TV as well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Cutehector(m): 1:35pm On Jan 31, 2023
Lannister360:

What is starling ?
Wetin this one de talk ni ?
Nigeria when people never see food chop na them de put hardware price for 268k, them never ready to do business.
starlink is not for everyone. If you cannot afford it, be managing your glo 1k sub.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Lannister360: 1:38pm On Jan 31, 2023
Cutehector:
starlink is not for everyone. If you cannot afford it, be managing your glo 1k sub.

Who be this one ni, abeg shift

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by AfahaAbia(m): 1:40pm On Jan 31, 2023
I tried purchasing mine yesterday but that yeye GTB no gree unfortunately my dollar card is missing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by Cutehector(m): 1:40pm On Jan 31, 2023
zoghys:

Which one is working boi?.
na yahooboy he mean.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by toluxa1(m): 1:42pm On Jan 31, 2023
aieromon:

I did not finalise the transaction after receiving OTP from my bank.

ModCaller:

I'm seeing dollar there so I don't think any naira denominated card will allow the transaction.

That official rate won't work

The naira payment is not going through. I tried it. I think the website is just using official rate to convert the USD figures but actual payment gateway is not accepting naira. It's a good deal if they will take naira payment at official rate but that will mean there has to be an agreement with Govt to remit USD to them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by nathyx(m): 1:42pm On Jan 31, 2023
Excellent pricing plans for Corpers N19,800 good thing like 12k saved for food and beverages undecided
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by oluwaseyi0: 1:46pm On Jan 31, 2023
Lannister360:

What is starling ?
Nigeria when people never see food chop na them de put hardware price for 268k, them never ready to do business.

Keep underestimating Nigerian

Nigerian are richer than they are willing to admit

If this stuff really click, you will be surprise to see it almost everywhere

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by zoghys: 1:48pm On Jan 31, 2023
Cutehector:
na yahooboy he mean.

tor
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by etrange: 1:49pm On Jan 31, 2023
seanwilliam:
The subscription fee is fair enough . But the installation fees should be subsidized .. something around 150-200k is perfect so that more people will be able to afford it.

Subsidized? I think you meant reduced. Who will subsidize the cost of an imported product for you in Nigeria?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by dustmalik: 1:52pm On Jan 31, 2023
toluxa1:

The naira payment is not going through. I tried it. I think the website is just using official rate to convert the USD figures but actual payment gateway is not accepting naira. It's a good deal if they will take naira payment at official rate but that will mean there has to be an agreement with Govt to remit USD to them.
This is true. At the point of payment, it shows the equivalent in dollars.

If anyone knows the easiest way to reach Elon musk or Starlink, we can pressure them to charge us in Naira, given that Starlink is now a registered entity in Nigeria, just like Netflix and Amazon prime.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by tabaralph: 1:53pm On Jan 31, 2023
JUMO95:
You are right bro,Elon musk is an American spy agent so I learnt, G boys should thread softly with this starlink to avoid story that touch.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by COMPAQ(m): 1:54pm On Jan 31, 2023
rookidmart:

This is nice.

My quote in the linked thread refers:

If they're pricing in naira at official rates then although the setup fee is more expensive than contemporary fiber offerings (ipnx, fiberone, et al.), the value is in reliability and cheaper internet.

The speedtest screenshot above suggests >200mbps for ~₦19k which the competitors do not offer.
Fiberone and Ipnx both max out at 152Mbps and 150Mbps for ₦66,750 and ₦62,350 respectively.

It is worthy to note that Ipnx offers Gigabit internet (1000mbps) under its FOS Xtreme plans (FOS extreme 1000) but that would set you back ₦268,750 monthly, which is basically the one-time cost of the Starlink hardware.

If Starlink can prove its mettle by offering consistently fast internet (per Elon Musk, planned speed is 10gbps) at these relatively low prices, and resilience in bad weather conditions then it is poised to take over the market.

A death knell for traditional fiber offerings would be if Starlink offered a way to pay for the hardware costs in installments from your monthly subscription fee.

Good idea actually. They could make the initial fee N100k, spread the balance over 1 year to make it say N30k, then after one year, it reverts to the normal N19k. That would help more people get on board.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by COMPAQ(m): 1:55pm On Jan 31, 2023
etrange:

Subsidized? I think you meant reduced. Who will subsidize the cost of an imported product for you in Nigeria?

Nigerians have a subsidize mentaility even for stuff that have no business being subsidized

6 Likes

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by toluxa1(m): 2:01pm On Jan 31, 2023
Magma101:

There is no scam here. Everything has been discussed and agreed with the NCC. Our naira is not a stable currency, and you would not expect a satellite-based internet service provider to build its business model on an unstable currency.

As part of the requirements for their ISP license, NCC asked them to register as a NIGERIAN Company. They can't be taking payment in USD as a Nigerian trading company. I think this will be settled and cleared up in the coming weeks. I'll be patient until we have more clarity. My guess is, it's a process that is in the works.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by a4cube: 2:04pm On Jan 31, 2023
Bonzojoko:
19k for 90gb. Seriously? I pay 20k for 200gb using Airtel router monthly unlimited subscription plan and they still give you 10gb daily till the monthly subscription ends whenever you exhaust the initial 200gb. The speed isn't bad either. It's an average of 40mbps(5MB/S download speed) for both upload and download. The downside is sometimes Airtel network becomes so bad you can't even watch a YouTube video at 360p and this can last for hours before returning back to it's usual 40mbps speed. Starlink remains the best option if only we can truly pay in Naira. Imagine downloading at 20MB/S normally and it's unlimited monthly data subscription
How can unlimited be exhausted?

1 Like

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by toluxa1(m): 2:06pm On Jan 31, 2023
NinjaXmetahuman:
although I agree it will likely still be the best in Nigeria atleast based on how cheap the subscription is compared to the competition.

But 1tb Is kind of a bummer if you plan to use it for business and you are not planning to restrict the amount of data your workers use.
But then, if you can sub again after threshold, then that shouldn't be a problem for businesses.

But it's gonna suck a little as a family plan.

I haven't confirmed that info but it'll be somewhat of a disappointment if true. I currently do 600 - 700GB monthly in my household. With a little more devices and individuals, we can easily pass 1TB and I would think Unlimited should mean Unlimited at least with a company like Starlink.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by icyyy69: 2:31pm On Jan 31, 2023
I was looking forward to this but it is too expensive. I guess it is for the rich. My MTN still works fine. 200k for equipment alone Omo I'm not there ooo. Do you know what I am using to post this here, opera mini free data.

5 Likes

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by porthouse7(f): 2:31pm On Jan 31, 2023
Lannister360:

What is starling ?
not for people wey never chop, other options are available

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by ModCaller: 2:33pm On Jan 31, 2023
toluxa1:

I haven't confirmed that info but it'll be somewhat of a disappointment if true. I currently do 600 - 700GB monthly in my household. With a little more devices and individuals, we can easily pass 1TB and I would think Unlimited should mean Unlimited at least with a company like Starlink.
That 1TB is not data capacity. It simply means that once you use Upto 1TB, they will reduce your speed. But your speed will still be very high. Normal speed is over 100mbps.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by vikstandon(m): 2:42pm On Jan 31, 2023
Bandwidth dragger has entered Nigeria... Make dey no come make my MTN aided browsing come dey crawl.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by teewhydope(m): 2:42pm On Jan 31, 2023
NinjaXmetahuman:
well said.

I read starlink is planning to cap the speed at 1TB starting February this year.

That doesn't sound nice.
Haba 1TB is enough imo. And if your location is not congested your speeds won’t change. They would only change if other users with higher priority use up all capacity leaving less for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by itsene: 2:44pm On Jan 31, 2023
Rip-off, too expensive.
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by segtech68: 2:47pm On Jan 31, 2023
268k bank manager's salary
Lannister360:

What is starling ?
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by sunboy(m): 2:49pm On Jan 31, 2023
seanwilliam:
The subscription fee is fair enough . But the installation fees should be subsidized .. something around 150-200k is perfect so that more people will be able to afford it.

Really! My people!
This is a private company that’s offering a satellite based internet, ofcourse such portable kits won’t be cheap, and they are out to make profit.

The kit cost the same in the US and in Europe. He reach Africa you’re asking for subsidy lol

But the monthly subscription is $110 in the US, and that’s why I haven’t gotten it. Asking $40 in Nigeria for unlimited high speed internet, a truly unlimited! That’s cheap enough brother

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by jamesversion: 2:49pm On Jan 31, 2023
JUMO95:

Oshe working boy. If you get updates, share with me oh. grin
Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by teewhydope(m): 2:53pm On Jan 31, 2023
toluxa1:

Only the speed will be reduced a little, doesn't mean internet will stop. Moreso your usage between 11 pm and 7 am will not count towards the data limit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira by NinjaXmetahuman: 2:53pm On Jan 31, 2023
toluxa1:

I have confirmed it from reputable source, but they are yet to implement it.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/starlink-customers-get-a-short-reprieve-from-data-caps/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Activate Mtn 100mb For N100 And 50mb For N50 Data Plan / See The Countries That Use The Most Gigabyte / How To Cancel All Mtn Services That May Be Deducting Your Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.