Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:11 PM

Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed (23615 Views)

100 Days: Tinubu’s Economic Policies Hurting Nigerians — Bode George / Fashola: Naira Swap Policy Is Causing Pain, CBN Should Readjust It (Video) / El-Rufai: Naira Redesign Is Not The Policy Of APC Or Tinubu (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Omooba77: 11:30am On Feb 02, 2023
Babatunde Fashola, minister of works and housing, says the naira redesign policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) “is hurting Nigerians” and needs to be reviewed.

The apex bank has fixed February 10 as the new deadline for the swap of old naira notes.

It initially fixed January 31 as the deadline but many Nigerians have not been able to get the new N200, N500, and N1000 notes, prompting a scarcity.

Speaking with Morayo Afolabi-Brown, a talk show moderator, on Wednesday on Instagram Live, Fashola said Bola Tinubu, presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), was fighting for Nigerians when he expressed concern about the scarcity of the new notes.

“I feel sympathy for the Nigerian people and what they have had to go through. Sometimes policies play out like this in the process of implementation, sometimes it all ends well and sometimes it calls for reconsideration and review,” Fashola said.

“In spite of the fact the CBN has acted within the spirit and letters of its independence by law, it is important to remember that we serve the public and the public says it is hurting, it is important to take a step back and ask where it is hurting and how we can make it better. It must not be a matter of ego.

“All the credit must go to our candidate being one of the first strong voices, first voice out of the candidates to speak out in Abeokuta.

“Though some were quick to say he was fighting Buhari or he was fighting his own party but it is his nature as a fighter for people. Our candidate hasn’t said don’t change the naira but it is hurting people.

“So the implementation needs a relook.”

‘I WAS NOT TINUBU’S PUPPET’

The minister said he was never a puppet to Tinubu while he was the governor of Lagos but he consulted with him because “of his experience”.

“When I was governor I realized that someone sat in my chair for eight years, that person is still alive, that person has had time to reflect, that person would have made mistakes and I told myself if I wanted to succeed I shouldn’t learn from my own mistakes I should learn from his experience,” he said.

https://www.thecable.ng/fashola-new-naira-notes-policy-must-be-reviewed-it-is-hurting-nigerians/amp

68 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by IslamIsIdiotic: 11:31am On Feb 02, 2023
APC's time is up.

There's a saying that goes like this: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

In 2015, APC fooled Nigerians and Nigerians suffered the consequences for 8 straight years.

Will Nigerians allow themselves to be fooled again on February 25th 2023?

👁👃👁

158 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Omooba77: 11:36am On Feb 02, 2023
The chief detective himself........

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Omooba77: 12:10pm On Feb 02, 2023
IslamIsIdiotic:
APC's time is up.

There's a saying that goes like this: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

In 2015, APC fooled Nigerians and Nigerians suffered the consequences for 8 straight years.

Will Nigerians allow themselves to be fooled again on February 25th 2023?

👁👃👁

The hardship under APC is unbearable.......

53 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by slivertongue: 12:30pm On Feb 02, 2023
We are staying with the policy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:32pm On Feb 02, 2023
Is like anything that brings hardship to Nigerians is pleasing to Buhari

At the end of the day, all these withholding of new naira note will not achieve anything

People go just suffer in vain, na the thing wey we know this regime for be that!

It's quite unfortunate undecided

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:37pm On Feb 02, 2023
slivertongue:
We are staying with the policy
Which policy please

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by ganisucks(f): 12:38pm On Feb 02, 2023
Kikiki... both Baba Lagos and Waziri Dubai don't get it. No sensible person attacks a political candidate. They attack the people, and get them to attack the political candidate.
There will be so much anger in the land, that the masses will only vote for the most radical, out of the box candidate.
The guys who did this have brought down kingdoms, erased empires, sacked kings and ridiculed emperors.
But, yes; sure! It's a common street thug selling Ecstasy at the corner, with just a glock at his side that will be their problem.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Racoon(m): 12:40pm On Feb 02, 2023
All these bleating is not because they care for the poor downtrodden masses suffering their ill governance. They don't give a Bleep about us.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by mbaise1000: 12:45pm On Feb 02, 2023
All these emergency good people who suddenly care about nigerians now we're part of these problems, if whatever is happening now are favourable to people like tinubu and atiku, will they be making these noise? Wasn't it tinubu who insisted that this buhari is the best thing to happen to nigeria and vowed in support of him? At what point did he and fashola realize that Jonathan is better than buhari after all? Or if tinubu is not intelligent enough to know that buhari is a dunce as he is claiming recently, will it be sensible to allow him to lead nigeria when one of the greatest Hallmark of an intelligent leader is to look and see at least more than four years ahead?
Is it not a few weeks ago that this same tinubu said that he will continue from where buhari stopped? Why will some people who call others haters will vote against their personal interest just to spite the same people they call haters? Why will a sane person prefer to suffer than to see that another group are seen to be correct?

18 Likes

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by TheNiceGuy(m): 12:53pm On Feb 02, 2023
No be me and you dey queue to get the money, politician dey suffer?

Racoon:
All these bleating is not because they care for the poor downtrodden masses suffering their ill governance. They don't give a Bleep about us.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Tochi3(m): 12:54pm On Feb 02, 2023
grin

Did your detective job in Lagos at lekki not hurt Nigerians more...defective, deceptive cum Minister of Works & Housing..

Why is every Thief'nubu senior Urchins against this policy... nevertheless that APCshit are in government & since 2015 paid no attention to the monumental sufferrings of Nigerians..

Why are politicians of APCshit Stock crying on behalf of Thief'nubu.. grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Omooba77: 12:55pm On Feb 02, 2023
People are really going through much hardship and pains.......

4 Likes

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Nelsey(f): 1:46pm On Feb 02, 2023
Okay
Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by bigdammyj: 1:46pm On Feb 02, 2023
Noted.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by buharibanjo(m): 1:46pm On Feb 02, 2023
Every time talk
Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by inoki247: 1:46pm On Feb 02, 2023
Lol Minister for darkness where's our 24hrs electricity...

5 Likes

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Pwettylinda(f): 1:46pm On Feb 02, 2023
Arrest theifnubuu now

2 Likes

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Robertgreene1(m): 1:46pm On Feb 02, 2023
Very soon what happened in Lebanon last year will happen in Nigeria...
Let them keep pushing us to the wall untill there's no space left for us to turn again

Those saying this nonsense will affect d likes of Tinubu and Atiku re very very dumb
Tinubu that is richer than some states in Nigeria combined...Dude will be the majority shareholder through his cronies in most of the major banks in Nigeria...
Atiku that has d biggest shopping mall in Dubai..dude will own the biggest Bureau de changes and hold d majority shares in top Nigerian banks...

So if the majority shareholder of a bank requests for new notes..d bank management will tell him there's no money ABI?...if he pulls his billions out of d bank.. won't d bank go bankrupt?
Mtcheew...some of u peeps underate this men!

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by gasparpisciotta: 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2023
Emefiele does not have any idea of how his legacy is being damaged.

If he dare comes out for any political position this saga will always be remembered and used against him.

Some people no get sense.

He could have handled this better and not dance to the tune of few unscrupulous elements to the detriment of the masses

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by SultanOfPuna: 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2023
Don't mind them
When I warned them
They called me vote buyer,urchin
Now they are crying like big fools

Politicians have banks, fuel stations and more.

Which politician do you see queeing in line at ATM machines??

Which politician do you see in line at fuel stations??

It is only you and your family that is standing in long line for hours in petrol stations.

It is only you and your mama that are crying because you can't withdraw money.

You think you are hurting the rich??
Una dey very stupid I swear.

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by christejames(m): 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2023
When did you start to care?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by LibertyRep: 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2023
At this juncture, they should all be bold enough to direct their vituperations/ advice to the man who appointed Emefiele.

Someone says POS operators are now collecting Tithes.

The attendant effect of this is that prices of goods will skyrocket, making a bad situation worse.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Offpoint1: 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2023
grin
Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by Gangster1ms: 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2023
Hold your commercial banks responsible even if it means setting them on fire. Don't be gentle!
CBN and emefiele are not the real problem of the scarcity. The policy is being sabotaged by politicians in collaboration with unpatriotic greedy citizens.
Also note that many of these bankers has pos businesses as side hustle.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by AyodejiCharles(m): 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2023
Ok
Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by GOTVee: 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2023
sad
Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by KingsCity: 1:48pm On Feb 02, 2023
Says the Minister of Darkness. One of the chiefs who deceived Nigerians and brought Nigeria to this disastrous state. Any serious government will give Nigerians power in 6 months and then Buhari made him Minister for Power and see us

You lie sir, Nigerians should be encouraged to use alternative channels - POS and bank transfers

5 Likes

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by LionInZion: 1:48pm On Feb 02, 2023
It baffles me how anyone in their right senses would think this nonsensical policy is meant to do Nigerians any good. I'm sure all those praising Buhari and Emefiele then can now see the effects of the poorly intended policy. Anyways, I am not surprised, Buhari has been an insensitive leader who cares less about the masses.

This same government put Nigerians through hell by closing borders without adequate plans and provisions for our import-dependent food items and rushed people through NIN registration without provisions for enough manpower and the required technology. I mean it's so bad that people are scampering for two of the most basic everyday needs: fuel and cash.

Of course, government after government will keep doing this as long as they know they can sell cheap lies to the masses who will hail them because the policy is "targeted at the elites." Forgetting that when two elephants fight, it is the grass that bears the brunt. Maybe one day we will realise that the enemy of my enemy isn't necessarily my friend, after all,

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fashola: Naira Notes Scarcity Hurting Nigerians, The Policy Must Be Reviewed by jahsharon: 1:48pm On Feb 02, 2023
Igbos love it. They think it will stop Emilokan Tinubu the Jagaban Borgu City Boy Extraordinaire from winning next election. They don't mind suffering forever as long as they have the illusion that it will stop the Jagaban. They have forgotten that the bank MDs are Tinubu's boys.

22 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

You Are Not An Engineer: Tinubu Aide Replies Obasanjo On Port Harcourt Refinery / If Another Election Comes, I'll Still Vote Tinubu – Seyi Law / Boko Haram Carries Out First Attack On Niger Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.