Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,047 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty (63745 Views)

A Story Of How I Got Deported From Canada(pictures) / 100 Cars Pile-Up, Kill 5, Injure And Trap Many On Texas Highway (Pics) / Helicopter Flying Couple To The Airport For Honeymoon Crashes In Texas (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Beey(f): 8:05pm On Feb 23, 2023
247Hustler:
You can send me a message on nairaland.
Hey there, did you ever get my message?
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 9:25pm On Feb 23, 2023
Beey:
Hey there, did you ever get my message?
Hello, I replied the same day.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Beey(f): 6:12am On Feb 24, 2023
247Hustler:
Hello, I replied the same day.
Your response was to message you on Nairaland.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 6:04pm On Feb 24, 2023
Beey:
Your response was to message you on Nairaland.
Can you at least check you email?
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Beey(f): 10:58pm On Feb 24, 2023
247Hustler:
Can you at least check you email?
No email from you.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 11:06pm On Feb 24, 2023
Beey:
No email from you.
That's strange. I just forwarded it again. Please check and let me know.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Beey(f): 11:22pm On Feb 24, 2023
247Hustler:
That's strange. I just forwarded it again. Please check and let me know.
Imagine it hasn’t come through 🤔Not even in the spam folder. Actually when I messaged you, I got a strange response from NL, so wasn’t sure the email got to you.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 11:30pm On Feb 24, 2023
Beey:
Imagine it hasn’t come through 🤔Not even in the spam folder. Actually when I messaged you, I got a strange response from NL, so wasn’t sure the email got to you.
I think I need to change the email attached to my Nairaland account. I'm sure most of the ones I responded to didn't also receive feedback.

If you messaged me here and I've not responded, please resend your messages in 1 hour time.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 11:37pm On Feb 24, 2023
Beey:
So, I figured out that I cannot change the email address on the account because of Nairaland issues. Alternatively, you could drop a dummy mail so I can reach out there.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Beey(f): 11:39pm On Feb 24, 2023
247Hustler:
So, I figured out that I cannot change the email address on the account because of Nairaland issues. Alternatively, you could drop a dummy mail so I can reach out there.
You can’t . Was looking to change mine also, so not sure why they even suggest that option when they know it doesn’t work.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 11:51pm On Feb 24, 2023
Beey:
You can’t . Was looking to change mine also, so not sure why they even suggest that option when they know it doesn’t work.
So, just drop a dummy mail I can reach you on.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Horllar1990(m): 8:31pm On Feb 25, 2023
247Hustler:
So, just drop a dummy mail I can reach you on.
Hi
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by alphabbey1(m): 9:51am On Feb 26, 2023
Dshocker:

Have you gotten a job yet

If you want to make money in the United States;

1.......IT
2....... Truck driving
3....... Medical doctor
4....... Nursing

If you are serious, you can be making $30,000-$50,000 a month driving truck.

Per annum you make $360,000-$600,000
Kids of Nowadays

2 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Dshocker(m): 9:53am On Feb 26, 2023
alphabbey1:

Kids of Nowadays

Old man from 1960

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by alphabbey1(m): 9:56am On Feb 26, 2023
CallmeTrinity:

Sharap
My friend bought his 2014 RX 350 from SOL Air drop... Man did that airdrop in 2018, left the account there until 2021 when 1 SOL is over 200$... He was lucky he didn't remember early he have that airdrop, if not, he would have sold it when the airdrop was equivalent to 10$......

But I understand you. Airdrop is a game of luck. You never know project that will blow. You can do 500 airdrops and none will Amount to 0.00001 dollar
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by alphabbey1(m): 10:39am On Feb 26, 2023
Sprumbaba:

Truck driver can make $40k a month but not just now. It is difficult.
Unless you are a CEO, there's no salary Job that will earn you this amount per month in the US or anywhere in the world.....

I stand to be corrected

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by alphabbey1(m): 10:46am On Feb 26, 2023
247Hustler:
Thanks for the well wishes. But I will not suffer again sir. Not even Nigeria could stop me. There will always be a way. If you're in the US, let's connect.
You are on student visa... You will definitely suffer. Sufferness just come with grade... what you experienced in naija is suffer pro max....
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by alphabbey1(m): 1:27pm On Feb 26, 2023
Dshocker:

Truth is i cannot connect you both, but below is a link to another truck driver that knows what he is doing in America.

https://fb.watch/h7FYTxwd2M/
I just smiled at people applying effort to correct you. Coz your brother's lies have done some numbers on you. Right in the video you used your hand to paste here, the guy made mention diesel alone gulfing up almost all the money made from truck driving.....

3 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Sprumbaba: 2:44pm On Feb 26, 2023
alphabbey1:

Unless you are a CEO, there's no salary Job that will earn you this amount per month in the US or anywhere in the world.....

I stand to be corrected

If you own your truck, you can. Don't fight what you do not know. Ask anyone with a Pneumatic truck at the fracking site how much per trip they earn daily and do the calculation.

About the salary job, I earn more than what you stated and I have over 5 of me that earn way more than that. Before you say it is a lie, drop your email here and you will come back and report to Nairaland.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Sprumbaba: 3:06pm On Feb 26, 2023
alphabbey1:

I stand to be corrected

Have a younger brother at Facebook doing half a million a year. I have boys doing 800k. It is even on Youtube. Check how much software engineers are making.

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by alphabbey1(m): 3:45pm On Feb 26, 2023
Sprumbaba:

If you own your truck, you can. Don't fight what you do not know. Ask anyone with a Pneumatic truck at the fracking site how much per trip they earn daily and do the calculation.

About the salary job, I earn more than what you stated and I have over 5 of me that earn way more than that. Before you say it is a lie, drop your email here and you will come back and report to Nairaland.
sparq_energy@yahoo.com
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by alphabbey1(m): 4:08pm On Feb 26, 2023
Sprumbaba:

Have a younger brother at Facebook doing half a million a year. I have boys doing 800k. It is even on Youtube. Check how much software engineers are making.
I get what you are saying but it's a "no" from me. Majority of those funds are going into stocks, pension, health, tax, travel and others.... and I count senior level engineers as CEO because you have to be so much important to the company for them to retain you on such salary......

Let me explain better,
Before you start thinking that everyone at these companies is making this much, you should know that this happens rarely and ONLY when the company paying this money/offering this money is in a highly competitive situation with another company to retain/hire this employee and that employee is mission critical to the business.

Research from your end as well. Anyone claiming he's collecting 600k dollars salary is actually getting about 250k$ base salary, the rest is going into stocks.....

I stand to be corrected.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Sprumbaba: 8:28am On Feb 27, 2023
alphabbey1:

I get what you are saying but it's a "no" from me. Majority of those funds are going into stocks, pension, health, tax, travel and others.... and I count senior level engineers as CEO because you have to be so much important to the company for them to retain you on such salary......

Let me explain better,
Before you start thinking that everyone at these companies is making this much, you should know that this happens rarely and ONLY when the company paying this money/offering this money is in a highly competitive situation with another company to retain/hire this employee and that employee is mission critical to the business.

Research from your end as well. Anyone claiming he's collecting 600k dollars salary is actually getting about 250k$ base salary, the rest is going into stocks.....

I stand to be corrected.....

It is not everyone. Some are not doing stocks. People are making bags in the US if you have the right skills and you are in the midst of the right group. You do not know what you do not know. There is a job here that only Indians and Nigerians are doing it. The Indians cornered the job with H1B visas claiming no has the skills to do it before we Nigerians entered the scene (Thanks to Trump craziness). I will rest my case here. Have a blessed day.

2 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by alphabbey1(m): 6:14pm On Feb 27, 2023
Sprumbaba:

It is not everyone. Some are not doing stocks. People are making bags in the US if you have the right skills and you are in the midst of the right group. You do not know what you do not know. There is a job here that only Indians and Nigerians are doing it. The Indians cornered the job with H1B visas claiming no has the skills to do it before we Nigerians entered the scene (Thanks to Trump craziness). I will rest my case here. Have a blessed day.
Care to mention the right skills to give you that amount ?... most times, when people go coded like this, you are literally talking of under the table deals... when it comes to legality, my previous comment is literally the reality...

and I dropped my email, yet to receive a message
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by XAUBulls: 7:34pm On Feb 27, 2023
247Hustler:
I will be back with more updates. It is 3 pm here, I'm going to attend to other things.

Let me know if you are following cool

Edited: I have attached a couple of pictures here for the curious minds.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by XAUBulls: 8:10pm On Feb 27, 2023
247Hustler:
Getting a regular job, financing my education, and graduation

The same month, my uncle-in-law informed me about another job at a local brewery in their area. The company was into the brewing of alcoholic herbal mixtures. He introduced me to the manager and I resumed the following day. My job involved filling empty plastics with hot alcoholic mixtures, corcking, washing, labelling, packaging and arranging them in the store. The job had no fixed salary but the pay was according to how much an employee could work. Top employees who work there full-time usually made more than fifty thousand naira (#50,000) monthly. As for me, I didn’t have the strength, so I usually made about twenty to thirty thousand (#20,000 - 30,000) monthly during the break.

Now, this job was also very stressful but quite manageable when compared to the other one. Workers also enjoyed more freedom and autonomy here and the environment was always lively. The major problem here was that I often got intoxicated (99% of the time) during work due to the high ethanol (alcohol) content of the mixtures. It is funny to remember that I never tasted any of the mixtures even though I worked in the company for more than six months altogether. The second problem was that I often get hungry at work because of the alcohol content that I inhaled. As a result, a fair amount of my money was spent on food at work.

I did this job during all the long holidays, usually end-of-session breaks, while in school. This way, I was able to raise some of the money needed in the school for the new session. I also combined it with the little I can receive from my aunt before leaving for school.

Also worthy of note is the support from the friends I made in school. One of them specifically paid for my school fees in my penultimate and final years of university. May God bless you Kola. I also have another one that would cook and invite me to come and eat whenever I complained of hunger around him. Many thanks, Samuel. My third friend specifically introduced me to his family and that became my second house after school. Oluwaseun and his family are some of the kindest souls I have ever met. Lastly, remember the church member that brought food when I was admitted in the hospital? Yes, she always sent me a token every new session till I graduated.

In spite of all these, I maintained good grades in school and I was on first class from 100 level to 300 level. However, I didn't maintain it till graduation as I ended up with a second-class upper division, barely missing first class by 0.2. Sad embarassed
Awesome! Your gratitude here is very profound.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by XAUBulls: 8:28pm On Feb 27, 2023
247Hustler:
The American dream

The first time I ever conceived the idea of travelling to America was in 2018 when I was checking on my friend and senior colleague who travelled to the US at the same. In the course of our conversation, she gave me a faint idea of the process and the total cost. Although this was a great idea, I couldn’t act on it because I was fresh out of university, broke, jobless, and desperate for survival. Nonetheless, I decided to act on this idea after I lost my job in 2020.

Back in my apartment, I thought about my options and called my friend in Ibadan to discuss my plans, the chief of which was travelling out of the country even though I had no money to execute them. I also told him I would need to stay to leave Lagos and stay with him for some time. He agreed and I joined him in April 2020. During this time, I had already bought a mini laptop out of my savings and I had less than a hundred thousand (#100,000).

After a few days in my new place, my friend informed me that he had just secured a fully funded Master's scholarship to one of the major countries in Europe and I was so happy for him. This meant I have to figure out whatever I needed to do on time as he would be leaving the country soon. The news motivated me and gave me the sense of urgency I needed to execute my plans. For this reason, I started my research on the internet and joined a couple of WhatsApp groups for people travelling to the US, and within a few weeks, I gathered all the information needed to begin my US journey even though I had no money for the execution.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by XAUBulls: 8:34pm On Feb 27, 2023
247Hustler:
The search for a feasible solution

Even though I have read stories of how people make money online, I have never tried it and the whole thing seemed like rocket science to me. Okay, maybe I have made money online before but the method was not sustainable. I learned gambling from one of my friends during the final year of my undergraduate days and I lost more money than I ever earned. So, I knew by experience that making it through gambling, if anything, was a pipe dream.

Nonetheless, I began my research into the skills I could learn and start earning money within three months. Crazy right? Yes, it was! That was the timeline I had, otherwise, I would find myself on the streets beginning for alms. In the course of the research, I came across different skills and businesses I could venture into. As you may already know, a bunch of the things I found were not just practical, at least in my situation. Some of the practical ones were UI/UX design, front-end development, graphics design, digital marketing, sales, data analytics, writing, and recruiting. I decided to try front-end development, but after a few weeks, I found out I could not make money from it within the timeline, so I gave up on it.

Recruiting looked feasible and I have read so much about it in the past, and even did a short diploma course on Alison when I was still working in customer service. Hence, I decided to try it out. At the same time, I registered for a two-week course with one of the leading Human Resources practitioners in Nigeria. After the training, we were encouraged to apply for jobs in the field but I didn’t get any results within a few weeks.

Time was going and my savings was depleting fast. For this reason, I thought about gambling again. I would play small odds to double my little stake of five thousand (#5,000) or a little above that. This time, I was lucky and I recorded better winnings than my losses. The money I earned from this enabled me to hang on.

While this was going on, I got an entry-level role in human resources in Lagos. The pay was less than a hundred thousand naira (<#100,000) and the job was on the Island. I thought this was a good opportunity to practise my new skills and make money at the same time. The only problem was that I needed to slow down on my American dream. I took the job anyways.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by XAUBulls: 8:44pm On Feb 27, 2023
247Hustler:
Going solo: using freelancing to finance the dream

At the point of quitting my HR job in Lagos, I decided to create an account on Upwork. The site was easy to create an account but I found it difficult to decide what to include and not include so I could make my profile attractive to clients. Nonetheless, I read a couple of things online and used the information to set up my account, and then left the account as there was no time to apply for jobs.

However, a few weeks after I resigned from my job, I got invited for a permanent job that would pay about eight hundred thousand naira (#800,000) per month. It was a US-based company and the client was willing to hire many people for the same role. Since I have never submitted any proposal in the past, I struggled on what to include and not include in the proposal. Due to my inexperience, I couldn’t write a good proposal and answered the screening questions poorly. This made me the only one that did not get the job out the four of us that were invited to apply. Although I didn’t get the job, I was happy I was considered. Then I continued to apply on both LinkedIn and Upwork. I got two other ones around October and November but didn’t earn anything from them.

In December 2021, I was back in Ogun State and penniless again, but this time like the proverbial prodigal son, broke and penniless. My aunt cried when she saw me because she thought I needed stability and I was not going to achieve that with my pattern of life that was filled with costly adventures. She didn’t understand why I couldn’t just continue with my job on the Island since the pay was not totally bad for someone with that year of experience. But for me, it was just a transitional phase towards something bigger.

From January 2022, I became more aggressive with my application, and by the middle of February, I landed a gig with a company in the US. This job took about two months and I earned about one million naira (#1,000,000) for the first time by the end of the project. I later got another long-term project with a company in Ireland. I got other big projects that I declined because they would run throughout the whole year and I was expecting to leave the country before then. Overall and for the first time ever, I made about three million naira (#3,000,000) from freelancing within seven months!

Edited: I noticed many readers are curious about my course of study and my freelance niche. Here is the answer below.

I studied one of the social science courses, and my Upwork gig was in the Human Resources niche.

I understand why people are so focused on those two but it is important to state that they are not so important. The reason is because: a) one can freelance with any skill as long as they are good at it; b) your undergraduate discipline does not really matter when applying for study abroad.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by XAUBulls: 8:50pm On Feb 27, 2023
247Hustler:
The road to America

By the end of March 2022, I have received responses for all my school applications. I have four total offers with one being funded. I was very happy but I decided to keep calm as I have read several cases of people being denied visas at the embassy.

I proceeded to arrange for the payment of my SEVIS and visa fees. I had a little delay with the payment of my SEVIS fee, so I could not pay on time. For this reason, I missed the early dates that were released for the interview. When the money was finally paid, I started looking for interview dates in Abuja. This process was arguably one of the hardest as dates were always not available. After a series of sleepless nights and sleeping on my computer keyboard, I managed to get a date that was a few days to resumption. I picked this date and began my preparation for the visa interview.

When it was two days before my interview, I left Ogun State for Abuja by road. Prior to this time, I have read news of kidnappings on the road. Although the news greatly disturbed me and my loved ones, the flight cost was exorbitant and going for that option would create a big hole in my finances considering my current and future expenses.

I got to Abuja at night and lodged at a guesthouse for two nights. On the day of the interview, I woke up very early and went to the US Embassy at Diplomatic Drive. When I got there, I met other people who were the for the same purpose and I went straight to the front. About an hour later, we lined up and were told to go in after the checks.

Throughout the process, I was so nervous because the stakes were so high. Since I was the first person in the queue, I was also the first person to be interviewed by the visa officer. My interview lasted for less than three minutes and I was approved. I quickly took my files and left the embassy for the guesthouse. Then I called my family and friends to inform them about the good news. It seemed surreal! My visa has been approved and I will be going to America!

A few weeks later, I booked my flight and the travel was scheduled for December. After spending time with my family and loved ones, I departed Nigeria for the United States in December 2022.

Yes, dreams do come true! I hope someone will try again one more time before giving up on life.
Surreal. Thumbs up!
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by princely4ever: 12:32pm On Feb 28, 2023
247Hustler:
A glimmer of hope

In the course of seeking assistance on campus, I asked a few students about the process to be taken for deferment of admission. I was told to visit the Student Affairs Division and my request would be granted. On getting to their office, the officer in charge advised me to talk to the school’s psychologists at the Youth Friendly Centre (YFC) of the school.

That same day, I headed for the centre. On getting there, I met a very beautiful psychologist who I believed should be in her late forties. She was very friendly and made me so comfortable. Then she asked about the purpose of my visit. I narrated everything and ended it by informing her that I would be deferring my admission. She then looked into my eyes and told me I was going nowhere, as I was there to complete my program. After the session, she gave me food, money to pay for GES and pocket money to feed. She then called her friend that worked at the student work-study office and connected us. This was how I got a part-time job on campus.

Within the same week, our fellowship announced that there was a need-based scholarship that gives a stipend of about ten thousand (#10,000) to deserving students. I applied and got the stipend the same week. This enabled me to pay for my departmental and faculty dues. By this time, some of the electives that I wanted to borrow from sister departments within our faculty were no longer accepting students. Hence, I had to complete my electives outside of the faculty.

Wow God bless

Is this a school in Nigeria or the US? I've never heard of a psychologist in schools in Nigeria
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by lily156: 10:09pm On Feb 28, 2023
@snowland I would appreciate getting the Big Data materials too. I tried sending you an email.

snowland:
I was once in Texas too. PM me, I got some documents to give if you're interested in IT (Big data). Congrats and welcome to the God's own country, land of the free and home of the brave.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Barack Obama Paddling Shirtless On Hawaii Beach / Tavy Pustiu Hit And Killed By Train While Live-streaming Himself / Man Who Left For Canada Calls His Friend And Was Weeping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.