Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,756 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty (63759 Views)

A Story Of How I Got Deported From Canada(pictures) / 100 Cars Pile-Up, Kill 5, Injure And Trap Many On Texas Highway (Pics) / Helicopter Flying Couple To The Airport For Honeymoon Crashes In Texas (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by ZINNYBANKS: 9:54pm On Feb 03, 2023
247Hustler:
Things are not the same anymore. People cannot even remember that things used to be better because of the excess hardship in the country. I have dropped a lengthy update grin
In the US when someone is broke , can the person still feed his/herself . ? Why I'm asking is you know in naija when someone is broke to feed is a huge task. Is it like that in the US too?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 10:01pm On Feb 03, 2023
ZINNYBANKS:

In the US when someone is broke , can the person still feed his/herself . ? Why I'm asking is you know in naija when someone is broke to feed is a huge task. Is it like that in the US too?
Food is the least of their problems in the US. The only thing that takes money here is rent.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by ZINNYBANKS: 10:05pm On Feb 03, 2023
247Hustler:
Food is the least of their problems in the US. The only thing that takes money here is rent.
Hmmm OK thanks I'm following..

15 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by gaby(m): 12:25am On Feb 04, 2023
247Hustler:
Things are not the same anymore. People cannot even remember that things used to be better because of the excess hardship in the country. I have dropped a lengthy update grin

You don dey ginger me to write tori for NL to help our people forget some of the stress wey dey chop us all...

I go try when I don make up my mind and feel less lazy..

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 2:04am On Feb 04, 2023
NYSC, failed job, and the challenge of survival

After graduation, I was posted to serve in Rivers State for my service but I redeployed to Oyo State. During this time, I had no money for the redeployment. So I borrowed money against my allowance from an organization that lends corps members money while they deduct it from their monthly allowance. I managed to live on the remaining balance of about nine thousand naira (#9,000) throughout my service year.

Before the end of service, I started applying for jobs in Lagos. A few months after passing out from service, I managed to land a job at a company in Ikeja. The salary was about one hundred and ten thousand naira (#110,000). This was supposed to be the end of my sufferings but I was not retained after my one-month training. Again, I was disappointed.

The pain was so intense that I thought about giving up on everything. At least, I have tried. During this time, I was in an apartment I believed would be a temporary place while I attend the one-month training for my new job, and it was around Akowonjo, Lagos Mainland. The apartment was a store that was converted into a room. The size was like that of a bathroom, and it had no ventilation. For this reason, I do not stay in the room during the day and I had to always leave the door open to allow the room cool off.

Although the job did not work out, I was paid a token of thirty thousand (#30,000) for the training. I was surviving on this money and was desperate of landing another. After several efforts, I landed another job in customer service but the pay was not much - the pay was about seventy thousand (#70,000) when the bonus was added. I was so broke that I didn’t have money to fund my transportation and feeding at my new workplace before being paid. Thank God for my then-girlfriend who came to my rescue by lending me the money for the first month. This job took so much of my time and I literally exist to work Monday to Saturday week in and week out.

After working for more than six months and not having a hundred thousand naira in savings, I looked back at my life trajectory and concluded that I would not go far if I continued that way. Hence, I started looking for alternatives so I could leave as soon as possible. In march 2020 when covid-19 struck, the company was closed and all employees were temporarily laid off. Even though I wanted to leave before this time, I wanted to get an alternative. With covid-19, however, I had no choice but to travel this dreaded path.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 3:48am On Feb 04, 2023
gaby:

You don dey ginger me to write tori for NL to help our people forget some of the stress wey dey chop us all...

I go try when I don make up my mind and feel less lazy..
You can do it! Starting is always the hardest part cheesy

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Zihno: 4:32am On Feb 04, 2023
Omo. And I thought it was only me going through a lot.

25 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 4:57am On Feb 04, 2023
Let me know if you're following 🙂

39 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by AmuDimpka: 7:13am On Feb 04, 2023
247Hustler:
NYSC, failed job, and the challenge of survival

After graduation, I was posted to serve in Rivers State for my service but I redeployed to Oyo State. During this time, I had no money for the redeployment. So I borrowed money against my allowance from an organization that lends corps members money while they deduct it from their monthly allowance. I managed to live on the remaining balance of about nine thousand naira (#9,000) throughout my service year.

Before the end of service, I started applying for jobs in Lagos. A few months after passing out from service, I managed to land a job at a company in Ikeja. The salary was about one hundred and ten thousand naira (#110,000). This was supposed to be the end of my sufferings but I was not retained after my one-month training. Again, I was disappointed.

The pain was so intense that I thought about giving up on everything. At least, I have tried. During this time, I was in an apartment I believed would be a temporary place while I attend the one-month training for my new job, and it was around Akowonjo, Lagos Mainland. The apartment was a store that was converted into a room. The size was like that of a bathroom, and it had no ventilation. For this reason, I do not stay in the room during the day and I had to always leave the door open to allow the room cool off.

Although the job did not work out, I was paid a token of thirty thousand (#30,000) for the training. I was surviving on this money and was desperate of landing another. After several efforts, I landed another job in customer service but the pay was not much - the pay was about seventy thousand (#70,000) when the bonus was added. I was so broke that I didn’t have money to fund my transportation and feeding at my new workplace before being paid. Thank God for my then-girlfriend who came to my rescue by lending me the money for the first month. This job took so much of my time and I literally exist to work Monday to Saturday week in and week out.

After working for more than six months and not having a hundred thousand naira in savings, I looked back at my life trajectory and concluded that I would not go far if I continued that way. Hence, I started looking for alternatives so I could leave as soon as possible. In march 2020 when covid-19 struck, the company was closed and all employees were temporarily laid off. Even though I wanted to leave before this time, I wanted to get an alternative. With covid-19, however, I had no choice but to travel this dreaded path.

Kids of these days ... You think that life is all about bed of roses...

Keep trying dear

After nysc I did commission job for 2 yrs no salary OOO

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Spanishmilf(m): 7:43am On Feb 04, 2023
AmuDimpka:

Keep trying dear

Today I have my own firm drives a Benz SUV...so dude that is life
this is not a Vs suffering battle

124 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Unlimited2022: 7:46am On Feb 04, 2023
247Hustler:
Following

5 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by EngrKemp: 7:47am On Feb 04, 2023
247Hustler:
What course did u study?

6 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by EngrKemp: 7:57am On Feb 04, 2023
Bro keep writing,people will always read ur update ..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Epinigirls: 7:59am On Feb 04, 2023
The most important thing is to keep pushing
Keep going
Keep moving

Life is not easy, I wish there were compulsory practical classes in school or in church that teach how to SURVIVE AND THRIVE

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Suzzytee05(f): 8:10am On Feb 04, 2023
Following

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Epinigirls: 8:16am On Feb 04, 2023
AmuDimpka:

Keep trying dear

Today I have my own firm drives a Benz SUV...so dude that is life

Every generation has people who think life is a bed 🛌 of roses 🌹

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Proxymann(m): 8:17am On Feb 04, 2023
Following

2 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by AmuDimpka: 9:45am On Feb 04, 2023
Epinigirls:

Every generation has people who think life is a bed 🛌 of roses 🌹
you are right

4 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Coquinoqui: 10:07am On Feb 04, 2023
ZINNYBANKS:

If you don't have food you can go to the pantry. The government supply food to churches who in turn share the food to the in the community every week. Food is the least thing people worry about here.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Yohans(m): 11:11am On Feb 04, 2023
247Hustler:
Still following

4 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Seunblack7070: 2:36pm On Feb 04, 2023
Following, OP come and continue the gist 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

4 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Yemlizzy(f): 4:19pm On Feb 04, 2023
Still following, a lot of people who want to give up would be inspired by your journey.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by ZINNYBANKS: 7:26pm On Feb 04, 2023
Coquinoqui:

If you don't have food you can go to the pantry. The government supply food to churches who in turn share the food to the in the community every week. Food is the least thing people worry about here.
Thanks for ur response . are you in the US?

8 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 9:04pm On Feb 04, 2023
Thank you for following. I will post updates on the journey to America shortly cool

11 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by MrSuama(m): 9:23pm On Feb 04, 2023
247Hustler:
Thank you for following. I will post updates on the journey to America shortly cool

We deh wait

3 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 9:27pm On Feb 04, 2023
The American dream

The first time I ever conceived the idea of travelling to America was in 2018 when I was checking on my friend and senior colleague who travelled to the US at the same. In the course of our conversation, she gave me a faint idea of the process and the total cost. Although this was a great idea, I couldn’t act on it because I was fresh out of university, broke, jobless, and desperate for survival. Nonetheless, I decided to act on this idea after I lost my job in 2020.

Back in my apartment, I thought about my options and called my friend in Ibadan to discuss my plans, the chief of which was travelling out of the country even though I had no money to execute them. I also told him I would need to stay to leave Lagos and stay with him for some time. He agreed and I joined him in April 2020. During this time, I had already bought a mini laptop out of my savings and I had less than a hundred thousand (#100,000).

After a few days in my new place, my friend informed me that he had just secured a fully funded Master's scholarship to one of the major countries in Europe and I was so happy for him. This meant I have to figure out whatever I needed to do on time as he would be leaving the country soon. The news motivated me and gave me the sense of urgency I needed to execute my plans. For this reason, I started my research on the internet and joined a couple of WhatsApp groups for people travelling to the US, and within a few weeks, I gathered all the information needed to begin my US journey even though I had no money for the execution.

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 9:48pm On Feb 04, 2023
The challenge of financing the American dream

I have all the information required for the journey from A-Z. Now what?
From the information, I estimated that the journey would cost an average of two million naira (#2,000,000) if I was going to try once and get a positive result. This was a lot of money and I have never held one-third of that in my account before as at this time. The biggest puzzle then becomes how to raise the money.

41 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 10:43pm On Feb 04, 2023
The search for a feasible solution

Even though I have read stories of how people make money online, I have never tried it and the whole thing seemed like rocket science to me. Okay, maybe I have made money online before but the method was not sustainable. I learned gambling from one of my friends during the final year of my undergraduate days and I lost more money than I ever earned. So, I knew by experience that making it through gambling, if anything, was a pipe dream.

Nonetheless, I began my research into the skills I could learn and start earning money within three months. Crazy right? Yes, it was! That was the timeline I had, otherwise, I would find myself on the streets beginning for alms. In the course of the research, I came across different skills and businesses I could venture into. As you may already know, a bunch of the things I found were not just practical, at least in my situation. Some of the practical ones were UI/UX design, front-end development, graphics design, digital marketing, sales, data analytics, writing, and recruiting. I decided to try front-end development, but after a few weeks, I found out I could not make money from it within the timeline, so I gave up on it.

Recruiting looked feasible and I have read so much about it in the past, and even did a short diploma course on Alison when I was still working in customer service. Hence, I decided to try it out. At the same time, I registered for a two-week course with one of the leading Human Resources practitioners in Nigeria. After the training, we were encouraged to apply for jobs in the field but I didn’t get any results within a few weeks.

Time was going and my savings was depleting fast. For this reason, I thought about gambling again. I would play small odds to double my little stake of five thousand (#5,000) or a little above that. This time, I was lucky and I recorded better winnings than my losses. The money I earned from this enabled me to hang on.

While this was going on, I got an entry-level role in human resources in Lagos. The pay was less than a hundred thousand naira (<#100,000) and the job was on the Island. I thought this was a good opportunity to practise my new skills and make money at the same time. The only problem was that I needed to slow down on my American dream. I took the job anyways.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Spanishmilf(m): 11:21pm On Feb 04, 2023
This your “feasible solution” get as he be but ride on Op
Link to site you use earn online

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 2:45am On Feb 05, 2023
I am writing the remaining part of the updates. Let me know if you are still following wink

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Coquinoqui: 3:11am On Feb 05, 2023
ZINNYBANKS:

Thanks for ur response . are you in the US?

Yes I'm in NYC

13 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by hurryup123(m): 4:33am On Feb 05, 2023
Following

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Man Who Left For Canada Calls His Friend And Was Weeping / The Moment A Container Truck Fell And Crushed An SUV (Disturbing Video) / My 30 Days Sojourn Through Cotonou To Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.