Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty (63714 Views)

A Story Of How I Got Deported From Canada(pictures) / 100 Cars Pile-Up, Kill 5, Injure And Trap Many On Texas Highway (Pics) / Helicopter Flying Couple To The Airport For Honeymoon Crashes In Texas (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by EngrKemp: 6:47am On Feb 05, 2023
Bro.

Keep writing and don't bother about following.
People will always follow.

Pls what course did u study in ui?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Enddy50ty(m): 6:56am On Feb 05, 2023
This is FEBRUARY 5- 6:46 AM Sunday morning.
I have read every comment on this story and it's very interesting and inspiring so much that I had to dash every single comment a like 👍🏾.
Please fire on, you have my undivided attention, I am following your story with keen interest on the American part of it.

Please tell every part of it, you don't know who might be inspired.

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:27am On Feb 05, 2023
Risk, risk, and more risk

After two months, I resigned from my new job in June 2020 because I spent all my salary on feeding and transportation without anything left, and returned to my friend’s place in Ibadan. Then I continued my online search for things I could do. This time, I discovered I could do online surveys to earn money to keep afloat. The only problem was that the money was not consistent and our accounts (which were paid for) usually got suspended with money our money it. However, I did make a decent amount of money to the tune of about five hundred thousand (#500,000) through this means and the bulk of it was spent on feeding, data, rent and a few other things. So I had little left.

With the money in my possession, I thought about starting my US but decided to shelve the idea because the money would not be enough and I would have no money left. But as luck would have it, in late 2020, I got another HR job on the Island with a pay of about two hundred thousand naira (#200,000). I took the job and left for Lagos again. The job came with a lot of mandatory expenses which usually left me with little after the expenses. From the little I set aside, I started using what would have been my savings, including the money I borrowed from friends, to finance applications to schools in the US. After about nine months, I resigned from this job again in September 2021 and left Lagos for Ogun State. This was a big risk as I was still expecting decisions on my applications.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:33am On Feb 05, 2023
Going solo: using freelancing to finance the dream

At the point of quitting my HR job in Lagos, I decided to create an account on Upwork. The site was easy to create an account but I found it difficult to decide what to include and not include so I could make my profile attractive to clients. Nonetheless, I read a couple of things online and used the information to set up my account, and then left the account as there was no time to apply for jobs.

However, a few weeks after I resigned from my job, I got invited for a permanent job that would pay about eight hundred thousand naira (#800,000) per month. It was a US-based company and the client was willing to hire many people for the same role. Since I have never submitted any proposal in the past, I struggled on what to include and not include in the proposal. Due to my inexperience, I couldn’t write a good proposal and answered the screening questions poorly. This made me the only one that did not get the job out the four of us that were invited to apply. Although I didn’t get the job, I was happy I was considered. Then I continued to apply on both LinkedIn and Upwork. I got two other ones around October and November but didn’t earn anything from them.

In December 2021, I was back in Ogun State and penniless again, but this time like the proverbial prodigal son, broke and penniless. My aunt cried when she saw me because she thought I needed stability and I was not going to achieve that with my pattern of life that was filled with costly adventures. She didn’t understand why I couldn’t just continue with my job on the Island since the pay was not totally bad for someone with that year of experience. But for me, it was just a transitional phase towards something bigger.

From January 2022, I became more aggressive with my application, and by the middle of February, I landed a gig with a company in the US. This job took about two months and I earned about one million naira (#1,000,000) for the first time by the end of the project. I later got another long-term project with a company in Ireland. I got other big projects that I declined because they would run throughout the whole year and I was expecting to leave the country before then. Overall and for the first time ever, I made about three million naira (#3,000,000) from freelancing within seven months!

Edited: I noticed many readers are curious about my course of study and my freelance niche. Here is the answer below.

I studied one of the social science courses, and my Upwork gig was in the Human Resources niche.

I understand why people are so focused on those two but it is important to state that they are not so important. The reason is because: a) one can freelance with any skill as long as they are good at it; b) your undergraduate discipline does not really matter when applying for study abroad.

139 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by MrSuama(m): 7:42am On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:

At the point of quitting my HR job in Lagos, I decided to create an account on Upwork. The site was easy to create an account but I found it difficult to decide what to include and not include so I could make my profile attractive to clients. Nonetheless, I read a couple of things online and used the information to set up my account, and then left the account as there was no time to apply for jobs.

However, a few weeks after I resigned from my job, I got invited for a permanent job that would pay about eight hundred thousand naira (#800,000) per month. It was a US-based company and the client was willing to hire many people for the same role. Since I have never submitted any proposal in the past, I struggled on what to include and not include in the proposal. Due to my inexperience, I couldn’t write a good proposal and answered the screening questions poorly. This made me the only one that did not get the job out the four of us that were invited to apply. Although I didn’t get the job, I was happy I was considered. Then I continued to apply on both LinkedIn and Upwork. I got two other ones around October and November but didn’t earn anything from them.

In December 2021, I was back in Ogun State and penniless again, but this time like the proverbial prodigal son, broke and penniless. My aunt cried when she saw me because she thought I needed stability and I was not going to achieve that with my pattern of life that was filled with costly adventures. She didn’t understand why I couldn’t just continue with my job on the Island since the pay was not totally bad for someone with that year of experience. But for me, it was just a transitional phase towards something bigger.

From January 2022, I became more aggressive with my application, and by the middle of February, I landed a gig with a company in the US. This job took about two months and I earned about one million naira (#1,000,000) for the first time by the end of the project. I later got another long-term project with a company in Ireland. I got other big projects that I declined because they would run throughout the whole year and I was expecting to leave the country before then. Overall and for the first time ever, I made about three million naira (#3,000,000) from freelancing within seven months!

247Hustler let's go

18 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 8:26am On Feb 05, 2023
The road to America

By the end of March 2022, I have received responses for all my school applications. I have four total offers with one being funded. I was very happy but I decided to keep calm as I have read several cases of people being denied visas at the embassy.

I proceeded to arrange for the payment of my SEVIS and visa fees. I had a little delay with the payment of my SEVIS fee, so I could not pay on time. For this reason, I missed the early dates that were released for the interview. When the money was finally paid, I started looking for interview dates in Abuja. This process was arguably one of the hardest as dates were always not available. After a series of sleepless nights and sleeping on my computer keyboard, I managed to get a date that was a few days to resumption. I picked this date and began my preparation for the visa interview.

When it was two days before my interview, I left Ogun State for Abuja by road. Prior to this time, I have read news of kidnappings on the road. Although the news greatly disturbed me and my loved ones, the flight cost was exorbitant and going for that option would create a big hole in my finances considering my current and future expenses.

I got to Abuja at night and lodged at a guesthouse for two nights. On the day of the interview, I woke up very early and went to the US Embassy at Diplomatic Drive. When I got there, I met other people who were the for the same purpose and I went straight to the front. About an hour later, we lined up and were told to go in after the checks.

Throughout the process, I was so nervous because the stakes were so high. Since I was the first person in the queue, I was also the first person to be interviewed by the visa officer. My interview lasted for less than three minutes and I was approved. I quickly took my files and left the embassy for the guesthouse. Then I called my family and friends to inform them about the good news. It seemed surreal! My visa has been approved and I will be going to America!

A few weeks later, I booked my flight and the travel was scheduled for December. After spending time with my family and loved ones, I departed Nigeria for the United States in December 2022.

Yes, dreams do come true! I hope someone will try again one more time before giving up on life.

438 Likes 38 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Suzzytee05(f): 9:26am On Feb 05, 2023
Congratulations so happy your story got a happy ending.

247Hustler:
The road to America

By the end of March 2022, I have received responses for all my school applications. I have four total offers with one being funded. I was very happy but I decided to keep calm as I have read several cases of people being denied visas at the embassy.

I proceeded to arrange for the payment of my SEVIS and visa fees. I had a little delay with the payment of my SEVIS fee, so I could not pay on time. For this reason, I missed the early dates that were released for the interview. When the money was finally paid, I started looking for interview dates in Abuja. This process was arguably one of the hardest as dates were always not available. After a series of sleepless nights and sleeping on my computer keyboard, I managed to get a date that was a few days to resumption. I picked this date and began my preparation for the visa interview.

When it was two days before my interview, I left Ogun State for Abuja by road. Prior to this time, I have read news of kidnappings on the road. Although the news greatly disturbed me and my loved ones, the flight cost was exorbitant and going for that option would create a big hole in my finances considering my current and future expenses.

I got to Abuja at night and lodged at a guesthouse for two nights. On the day of the interview, I woke up very early and went to the US Embassy at Diplomatic Drive. When I got there, I met other people who were the for the same purpose and I went straight to the front. About an hour later, we lined up and were told to go in after the checks.

Throughout the process, I was so nervous because the stakes were so high. Since I was the first person in the queue, I was also the first person to be interviewed by the visa officer. My interview lasted for less than three minutes and I was approved. I quickly took my files and left the embassy for the guesthouse. Then I called my family and friends to inform them about the good news. It seemed surreal! My visa has been approved and I will be going to America!

A few weeks later, I booked my flight and the travel was scheduled for December. After spending time with my family and loved ones, I departed Nigeria for the United States in December 2022.

Yes, dreams do come true! I hope someone will try again one more time before giving up on life.

26 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Sweetvie: 9:45am On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
The road to America

Wow!
Congratulations... I'm happy for you.

20 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Unlimited2022: 9:52am On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
The road to America

Congratulations! So happy for you.
What course did you study if you don't mind me asking?

17 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by steadyMoving22: 11:34am On Feb 05, 2023
You mind sharing rhe gigs u did to raise the funds.

247Hustler:
The road to America

9 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by melonsgroup: 12:36pm On Feb 05, 2023
steadyMoving22:

You mind sharing rhe gigs u did to raise the funds.

Thank you Jesus

7 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Oluwomonext212(m): 12:40pm On Feb 05, 2023
Touching and interesting…
247Hustler:
I will be back with more updates. It is 3 pm here, I'm going to attend to other things.

Let me know if you are following cool

6 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by lanre9ja(m): 12:43pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:

Please kindly share the gigs

8 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Geenosko: 12:47pm On Feb 05, 2023
Title of this movie or series?
Is it on Netflix?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Harrynight(m): 12:49pm On Feb 05, 2023
Never Give Up

8 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Spanishmilf(m): 12:50pm On Feb 05, 2023
The fact that you started the processing march 2022 and got a date that same 2022 means nothing is stopping you
Your success is sure
Btw I’m interested in the site you used to to earn money
Op post pic đź«‚

41 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Kingsley123456(m): 12:53pm On Feb 05, 2023
Bro, come and finish your story abeg

3 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 05, 2023
Nice friction

Typical Nollywood movies

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by JoeEeL(m): 12:56pm On Feb 05, 2023
Lol zoogerians are funny people. cheesy

Politicians and their fellow slave masters have made people write epistles and testimonies all in d name of running away from their ancestral lands while these slave masters keep digging up natural resources on these lands with reckless abandon.

Black man, black man... Haha, improve your consciousness.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by brutal1(m): 12:57pm On Feb 05, 2023
Congratulations ! this is very touching but you finally saw the light at the end of tunnel.
247Hustler:
The road to America

5 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
The road to America

OP is okay if u told me u did online fraud(yahoo boy) with foreign women, pls I would understand u, all u said looked so surreal

17 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Goddyrichie(m): 1:00pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
I seem to be the only one here. Let me know if you are following smiley
things was very rough then those that believe u can’t be somebody in life will be surprising how u get to where u get to today cuz they have already written u off

5 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by OlawaleBammie: 1:00pm On Feb 05, 2023
Mrtaye:

You bought mattress from 8k?
students mattress was around 2500 to 3000 then

8 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Emmanuel909090: 1:04pm On Feb 05, 2023
Congratulations Bro

2 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by danthamccoy(m): 1:04pm On Feb 05, 2023
Heathrow44:

OP is okay if u told me u did online fraud(yahoo boy) with foreign women, pls I would understand u, all u said looked so surreal
Work on your mentality. Your idea that people cannot make money legitly is probably restraining you in life or pushing you where you shouldn't go. It's 2023.

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 05, 2023
danthamccoy:

Work on your mentality. Your idea that people cannot make money legitly is probably restraining you in life or pushing you where you shouldn't go. It's 2023.

lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:

Nah same HR gig you take land these jobs?

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Kinihuu005: 1:08pm On Feb 05, 2023
[quote author=Mrtaye post=120600161]
You bought mattress from 8k? If make this guy no finished the story meh

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by FashionCookie(f): 1:09pm On Feb 05, 2023
Congratulations OP...from Trenches to Texas indeed.
To those of us struggling to make it in life, may the odds forever be in our favor. smiley

21 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by IRIEBOY(m): 1:11pm On Feb 05, 2023
danthamccoy:

exactly.. have made over 3 million naira via crypto Airdrops..

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by tfelicityk(m): 1:14pm On Feb 05, 2023
Mrtaye:

You bought mattress from 8k?
Yes, he is saying the truth. As at 2016, I bought a mattress 3ft by 6ft at the rate of #6500. It was even mouka foam. It may be imitation but it lasted for two years.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Sheekamso(f): 1:15pm On Feb 05, 2023
Wow....you have the survival spirit in you and you never gave up despite the hurdles

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Tavy Pustiu Hit And Killed By Train While Live-streaming Himself / Barack Obama Paddling Shirtless On Hawaii Beach / Man Who Left For Canada Calls His Friend And Was Weeping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.