Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,714 members, 7,805,946 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam (8100 Views)

Position Of The Law On The Use Of Hijab/Veil In Public Institutions- O.G Chukkol / Palm Wine In Islam / Artificial Insemination To Get A Child: Is It A Sin In Islam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Lukgaf(m): 8:05am On Feb 03, 2023
In Islam, a married woman retains her maiden name even after marriage. This was the practice during the time of the Prophet Muhammad, who referred to his wives by their father's names
A Muslim lady, even after marriage, is Islāmically called by her maiden name. This was the practice during the lifetime of the Prophet (sallallāhu'aleihi wa sallam). All his wives were called by no other than their fathers' names. Khadījah - his first - was bint (daughter of) Khuwaylid; Sawdā was bint Zam'ah; Aishah was bint Abībakr; Hafsah was bint Umar; Zainab was bint Khuzaimah; Safiyyah was bint Huyay; the other Zainab was bint Jahsh; Ramlah was bint Abī Sufyān; Juwairiyyah, et cetera, was bint al-Hārith.

So, the present-day practice of having a woman irresistibly change her surname to her husband's is indisputably western, and no doubt, uncommonsensical. This, according to scholars, is because should the woman get divorced or rather become widowed, she would be left with no other option than change it again. The standard of Islām, summarily, is that a woman, even after marriage, should bear the name of her father, as done our emulative forebears.

Whoever is able to practise this in his country should do so without hesitation. But, unfortunately speaking, there are instances where one might have to do what is rather obtainable where one lives.

The woman bearing her husband's surname is an official norm in Nigeria. In an organisation where this is required, she will have no other option than comply. That, invariably, will mean allowing necessity take charge. And as for those who feel the name change is replacement of the father's, we say that is incorrect, as the word, Mrs, means 'wife of', not 'daughter of'. Mrs Adekoya Ngozi, for instance, means Ngozi, wife of Adekoya, not daughter of...
Sanni Kay Yūsuf

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Expanse2020(m): 1:49pm On Feb 03, 2023
Barakallahufhik
Etuii98766t:
:-

3 Likes

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Emu4life(m): 1:50pm On Feb 03, 2023
This way, the woman won't have to keep changing her names on occasions of divorce. Islam is perfect.
Alhamdulillah ala ni'imatil Islam.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Diligent1(f): 1:51pm On Feb 03, 2023
Why should a woman change her name after marriage? This process also affect some females where the father might not want to train them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by jahsharon: 1:51pm On Feb 03, 2023
The OP is on drugs.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by hybrid77: 1:53pm On Feb 03, 2023
E
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by jahsharon: 1:54pm On Feb 03, 2023
Diligent1:
Why should a woman change her name after marriage

Continue with your father's name nah. Even your mother is called "wife of ...". If you want to be called "daughter of ....." after marriage, please continue

4 Likes

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by musazulyadain: 1:54pm On Feb 03, 2023
Jazakallahu khairan, this is very rampage in our society.

3 Likes

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Diligent1(f): 1:57pm On Feb 03, 2023
jahsharon:

Continue with your father's name nah
That's what I am doing because he really tried for my education and because of that I find it difficult to change it to my husband name.
Actually my dad is not bothered if I change it to my husband name or not.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by ybady4real: 2:13pm On Feb 03, 2023
Why should she change her and bear mine, no be me born am na. My children will bear my name and that’s ok

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by verifiablefacts: 2:32pm On Feb 03, 2023
Musty112:
Please shed light on the instances in the quran when ALLAH azzal wajal refered to women by their husband name

Example please
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by olgaa14: 2:58pm On Feb 03, 2023
Without lies islam dies

2 Likes

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by merits(m): 3:11pm On Feb 03, 2023
Lukgaf:
In Islam, a married woman retains her maiden name even after marriage. This was the practice during the time of the Prophet Muhammad, who referred to his wives by their father's names

Sanni Kay Yūsuf

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Dataking1: 3:43pm On Feb 03, 2023
Mashallah, well explained and understood.
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by TheA5R(m): 3:48pm On Feb 03, 2023
This is a clash of cultures.
One doesn't necessarily negate the other. In the Arabic numenclature, surname is synonymous to father's name. That is why it preceded by the prefix 'ibn' or 'bint' meaning son or daughter.
This is not the case in the western culture. Surnames can be attributed to town, village, occupation, husband, parent, grand parents, ancestors, etc.

Islam is not expressly against attributing using a husband's surname. It is against attributing a person to a different father.

So, the question is, "does a woman using her husband surname makes her the daughter of the husband or whoever has the original surname?"
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Haines: 4:48pm On Feb 03, 2023
Alhamdulillah

Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Gentlevip: 5:58pm On Feb 03, 2023
I like the write up. Discouraging the practice but never saying Haram or Bidia or any other verfict

Means you know what you are doing. . No sentiments
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Debangis20(m): 3:34pm On Mar 20, 2023
TheA5R:
This is a clash of cultures.
One doesn't necessarily negate the other. In the Arabic numenclature, surname is synonymous to father's name. That is why it preceded by the prefix 'ibn' or 'bint' meaning son or daughter.
This is not the case in the western culture. Surnames can be attributed to town, village, occupation, husband, parent, grand parents, ancestors, etc.

Islam is not expressly against attributing using a husband's surname. It is against attributing a person to a different father.

So, the question is, "does a woman using her husband surname makes her the daughter of the husband or whoever has the original surname?"
huh! This one is trying to bring 'shubuha.'
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Debangis20(m): 3:37pm On Mar 20, 2023
This is the plain truth. Jazakallahu khayraa.
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Debangis20(m): 3:41pm On Mar 20, 2023
verifiablefacts:

Example please
go to Suratul Ahzaab.
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Debangis20(m): 3:45pm On Mar 20, 2023
Gentlevip:
I like the write up. Discouraging the practice but never saying Haram or Bidia or any other verdict.

Means you know what you are doing. . No sentiments
This is not the words of the OP, so this your last paragraph...
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by Newnas(m): 6:57am On Mar 23, 2023
Lukgaf:

Sanni Kay Yūsuf
True. But that (33 x 12)k won't allow our sisters hear.

Women and money!
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by justlovesfarmin: 12:11pm On Mar 24
Lukgaf:

Sanni Kay Yūsuf
Nigerian men changing the laws of Allah when it suits them.

Which organization mandates a woman to change her name?

Taqullah.

Is this Kay Sanni a scholar or typed from the benevolence of his heart? Just Asking for a friend

So if an organization says no to hijab, then no to hijab.

Call them by [the names of] their fathers; it is more just in the sight of Allāh. But if you do not know their fathers - then they are [still] your brothers in religion and those entrusted to you. And there is no blame upon you for that in which you have erred but [only for] what your hearts intended. And ever is Allāh Forgiving and Merciful. Suratul Ahzab vs 5.
Re: The Use Of Maiden Name Vs Married Name In Islam by LordPherule(m): 11:09am On Apr 01
Lukgaf:
In Islam, a married woman retains her maiden name, even after marriage. This was the practice during the time of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), who referred to his wives by their fathers' names.

Truly, I see no sense in changing name after marriage. Indisputably, it's a nonsensical idea from the western civilisation...

(1) (Reply)

Stoning And Hand Cutting—understanding The Hudud And The Shariah In Islam / Discriminations Against Muslims... / Art In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.