Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,411 members, 7,808,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Is Trading In Currencies Halal? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is Trading In Currencies Halal? (6447 Views)

Ruling On Trading In Currencies / Is It Islamic (halal) To Invest In Digital Agricultural Investment Platforms / The Love Charm (halal And Haram) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:28am On Feb 03, 2023

Summary of answer
Trading in currencies is halal so long as the exchange takes place in the same sitting as the contract is made. If the deal is in the same type of currency, this is not permissible because it is a type of riba.

Praise be to Allah.

Is trading in currencies halal?
Dealing in currencies is permissible so long as the exchange takes place in the same sitting as the contract is made. It is permissible to sell Euros for Dollars so long as the exchange takes place in the same sitting as the contract is made. But when the deal is concerning the same type of currency, such as selling one dollar for two dollars, that is not permissible because it is a type of riba.[/color

[color=#990000]In that case they should be of equal amounts and the exchange must take place in the same sitting as the contract if the exchange is concerning one type of currency.

The evidence for that is the report narrated by ‘Ubadah ibn al-Samit (may Allah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Gold for gold, silver for silver, wheat for wheat, barley for barley, dates for dates, salt for salt, like for like, same for same, hand to hand. If the types are different then sell however you like, so long as it is hand to hand.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1587)

It says in Majmu’ Fatawa Ibn Baz (19/171-174):
“Dealing in currency , buying and selling, is permissible, but that is subject to the condition that the exchange be hand-to-hand if the currencies are different. If a person sells Libyan currency for American or Egyptian or whatever currency hand to hand, there is nothing wrong with that, such as if he buys dollars for Libyan currency hand to hand, exchanging it in one sitting, or he buys Egyptian or English currency etc for the Libyan or whatever currency hand to hand, there is nothing wrong with that. But if there is a delay, then it is not permissible, and if the exchange is not done in the same sitting, it is not permissible, because in that case it is regarded as a kind of riba-based transaction. So the exchange must take place in the same sitting, hand to hand, if the currencies are different. But if they are of the same kind, two conditions must be met: they should be of equal amounts and the exchange should take place in the same sitting, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Gold for gold, silver for silver…”

The ruling on currency is as mentioned above; if they are different then it is permissible for the amounts exchanged to be different, so long as the exchange takes place in the same sitting. If they are of the same kind, such as dollars for dollars, or dinars for dinars, then the exchange must take place in the same sitting and they should be of the same amount. And Allah is the source of strength.”

And Allah knows best.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/72210/is-currency-trading-halal

We ask Allah to guide our leaders and us aright!
We ask Allah to give us the best of the incoming ones who would benefit us most in this world and in the next!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by AntiChristian: 8:34am On Feb 03, 2023
In essence it is haram to sell new note for old notes since they are the same!

Islam is ease!

Aamin to the du'a!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by OgwuEgo: 1:40pm On Feb 03, 2023
What kind of yeye username do you bear? Hope you are not a fanatic
AntiChristian:

Islam is ease!

Aamin to the du'a!

6 Likes

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by jahsharon: 1:48pm On Feb 03, 2023
Is eating too ?

4 Likes

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by ogify1(m): 1:50pm On Feb 03, 2023
Hunger never wire your brain

6 Likes

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Truetalkisreal: 1:53pm On Feb 03, 2023
that means all POS operators are sinners 😅 funny people

5 Likes

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 03, 2023
P2p nko?

1 Like

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by truthCoder: 1:57pm On Feb 03, 2023
lol

I deposit 50k into my Nigerian bank account, they charge me different charges. At the end of the day, i am able to only access 49,800.

This happens in islamic banks too as bank charges in the grouse of sms alerts, stamp duties, maintenance charges, atm withdrawal charges etc are all general.

Also on the concept of 'hand-to-hand', permit to explain if the MD of the banks must be the person to hand over the cash to all customers or the ATM machine (which was not existing when your assumptions were made)?

How do you plan on handing over BTC and USDT 'hand-to-hand'? I am sure your founders never imagined a day would come when money would become virtual.

Cheers

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Slmgirldippussy: 2:10pm On Feb 03, 2023
AntiChristian:

Islam is ease!

Aamin to the du'a!

Sapa never hold u

1 Like

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Bintabisiriyu2: 2:14pm On Feb 03, 2023
Slmgirldippussy:

Sapa never hold u
you are man ba
Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Sterope(f): 2:19pm On Feb 03, 2023
Do you mean greed?

ogify1:

1 Like

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Maas93: 2:46pm On Feb 03, 2023
Bintabisiriyu2:
Mumu muhammad the rapist, who raped aisha buhari at age 9 and the mumu mod.
meanwhile Muhammed is also a pedophile cos he married aisha 9 years when he was 40 snd the fuulish aboki use to bend down to piss like woman he and his dirty abokis.
islam is a religion of the foolish and the brainwashed.
Bleep Muhammed! Bleep Aisha Bleep islam Bleep this Muslim mods

Monkey 🙉

3 Likes

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Watinani(m): 2:50pm On Feb 03, 2023
Truetalkisreal:
that means all POS operators are sinners 😅 funny people

Not all, just any that practise what the Op said

1 Like

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Watinani(m): 2:54pm On Feb 03, 2023
truthCoder:
lol

I deposit 50k into my Nigerian bank account, they charge me different charges. At the end of the day, i am able to only access 49,800.

This happens in islamic banks too as bank charges in the grouse of sms alerts, stamp duties, maintenance charges, atm withdrawal charges etc are all general.

Also on the concept of 'hand-to-hand', permit to explain if the MD of the banks must be the person to hand over the cash to all customers or the ATM machine (which was not existing when your assumptions were made)?

How do you plan on handing over BTC and USDT 'hand-to-hand'? I am sure your founders never imagined a day would come when money would become virtual.

Cheers

In Islam we do everything with reason, and let me tell you Islam is the only religion that works with any generation be it now or the future era

6 Likes

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by truthCoder: 3:04pm On Feb 03, 2023
Watinani:

In Islam we do everything with reason, and let me tell you Islam is the only religion that works with any generation be it now or the future era

Pray thee explain this scenario in light of this then.
Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by beardedboy(m): 3:04pm On Feb 03, 2023
ogify1:
So the next thing after hunger has wired your brain is to cause difficulty for others.

Just know that any ease you find through causing difficulty for others is only temporary. The difficulty will come back to you in manifolds.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by merits(m): 3:16pm On Feb 03, 2023
Rashduct4luv:

We ask Allah to guide our leaders and us aright!
We ask Allah to give us the best of the incoming ones who would benefit us most in this world and in the next!

1 Like

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by merits(m): 3:17pm On Feb 03, 2023
beardedboy:

So the next thing after hunger has wired your brain is to cause difficulty for others.

Just know that any ease you find through causing difficulty for others is only temporary. The difficulty will come back to you in manifolds.

1 Like

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by ogify1(m): 3:32pm On Feb 03, 2023
beardedboy:

Tell that to dem Bill Gates.. Dey play
Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by izaq: 3:37pm On Feb 03, 2023
truthCoder:

Pray thee explain this scenario in light of this, then.

Okay let me help you understand. If you go to a bank or a POS merchant, are you going there to exchange your Naira (pre naira swapping period) or going to seek the use of a service. Services in the case of a POS merchant could be helping you to send funds to your account or that of another person or withdrawing funds from your account. In the case of banks, well you can imagine that yourself. If collects charges for using their services it doesn't equate to trading same currency.

Pls, we all need to be educated and embrace what is called "cultural relativisms". Muslims should respect the religion of others, and others should respect Islam as well.

1 Like

Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by ogify1(m): 3:39pm On Feb 03, 2023
Seun
Mynd44

Why is ’I believe that there is no god/God but Allah and Muhammad is His Prophet." showing on my profile after I made a comment on this post. What kinda pattern is this
Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Dybala11(m): 3:41pm On Feb 03, 2023
AntiChristian:

Islam is ease!

Aamin to the du'a!
So all POS operators are going to hell right??
Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Dybala11(m): 3:43pm On Feb 03, 2023
Sterope:
Do you mean greed?
What of POS agents??
Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by izaq: 3:43pm On Feb 03, 2023
Dybala11:

So all POS operators are going to hell right??

Wait, do they sell new naira notes for old naira notes? Is that even legal according to the Nigerian constitution?
Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Sterope(f): 3:47pm On Feb 03, 2023
Cost of business is different from selling money.

Dybala11:

What of POS agents??
Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Dybala11(m): 3:48pm On Feb 03, 2023
izaq:

Wait, do they sell new naira notes for old naira notes? Is that even legal according to the Nigerian constitution?

That scenario is wrong nao, selling old notes for new is all shades of wrong. What I meant by my question is that POS agents help to do transaction in the same currency and they get paid for that e.g Say I want to withdraw money from my account, if I place a withdrawal of 10k at a POS terminal of course the POS agent will deduct some token from the 10k. That's like giving in 10k to get say 9,500.
Re: Is Trading In Currencies Halal? by Dybala11(m): 3:49pm On Feb 03, 2023
Sterope:
Cost of business is different from selling money.

You mean if a service was rendered right!?

(1) (2) (Reply)

All Prophets (including Jesus) Are Muslims / Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? / Sheikh Jamiu Ajadi Sanusi (ami Olohun) "truely Divine Man Of God"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.