Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch (15502 Views)

Naira Redesign: Bags Of Damaged Naira Notes Discovered (Video, Pictures) / Naira Redesign: Grains Prices Crash Days After Record Surge / Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Marisa1: 3:32am On Feb 04, 2023
Some angry citizens, on Friday, condemned the Federal Government, according to findings by Punch the Central Bank of Nigeria and Deposit Money Banks for subjecting them to hardship over the scarcity of new naira notes and the astronomical hike in the pump price of petrol as a result of acute scarcity.

While some vented their anger by embarking on street protests, others attacked bank branches and facilities.

There were protests in Ibadan Oyo State capital, on Friday, by frustrated citizens over their inability to withdraw money in their bank accounts as well as the lingering fuel crisis and the attendant rising cost.

Similar protests took place in Lagos, Ondo and Edo states, sparking apprehension that the situation could degenerate in the coming days.

Amidst the confusion, the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), expressed doubts about the commitment of banks to the success of the new naira policy and accused some of them of being inefficient and making the policy unnecessarily difficult through “selfishness and greed."

He also asked to be given seven days to resolve the problems associated with the scarcity of the currency.

Citizens lament hardship

At the UBA branch in Ibafo, Ogun State, a housewife, Mrs Silifat Oseni, used expletives to describe those in government for subjecting her to so much hardship as she was finding it difficult to buy foodstuffs to feed her family.

She said, “What have we done to President Buhari and the CBN governor that they are punishing us like this? They have collected our old notes and are not supplying the new notes, yet the prices of fuel and food items have hit the rooftop.

“I was in the market on Thursday and the meat and pepper sellers refused to accept transfers as a means of payment. They insisted on me paying cash, which I didn’t have. I came to the bank this morning (Friday) to withdraw just N5,000 so that my family can feed, but the queue at the ATM gallery is so long and the security guards did not allow me to go inside the banking hall. I don’t know what to do next.”

A commercial motorist, who attempted to buy fuel at a filling station in the Ketu area of Lagos State, Lamidi Adetunji, expressed frustration at his inability to get the product, adding that the attendants refused to collect old naira notes from him.

Adetunji said, “I waited for over one hour for the tanker to discharge the fuel and when it was my turn to purchase the product, the attendant said the PoS was not working and I tried four times to transfer money to her without success.

“I was asked to go to a PoS operator outside the station and the woman told me that she would take N1,000 on the N10,000 that I wanted to withdraw. I didn’t have a choice. We can’t increase transport fares too much because people don’t have money to pay.”

A civil servant with the Ogun State Government, Saheed Shomorin, who was at the GTBank branch in Oke-Ilewo, Abeokuta according to Findings, said he spent over three hours on Friday before he succeeded in withdrawing N10,000 from the ATM, adding that the situation was affecting his productivity as he would not be able to report in the office.

An employee of the Boluwaduro Local Government Council, Osun State, Mrs Oluyemisi Ajiteru, said, “We in the rural areas are finding it difficult to get the so-called new money and they are insisting that we must deposit the old ones. People are really suffering here.

“On Wednesday, I had to travel from my base in Otan Ayegbaju to go to Ikirun to withdraw N2,000 from a PoS agent, who added N400 as his charge. I spent N600 to travel to Ikirun and back to my base and I am just a junior worker. How will I cope now?”

A trader in Nyanya, Mallam Abubakar Audu, expressed anger at the hardship being suffered in the country, saying, “I can’t get money to take home to my two wives and children because my customers are insisting on transferring money to me. Though I have an account, where will I get cash to spend?

“The situation is dangerous now and people may just embark on spontaneous protests, which may disrupt the elections that the government is labouring hard to organise. President Buhari, though he is my kinsman, has not done well at all. He appears uncaring about what will happen to the nation after his exit in May.”

In Enugu, one of our correspondents reports that some customers now stay till around 2am for ATMs to be loaded, while others come to the banks around the same time so that they could be among the first to make withdraws when banks start work by 8am on a daily basis.

A bank customer, who gave his name as Emeka Okorie, said he had been going to the ATMs for three days to make withdrawals but had not been successful because of the huge crowd that besieged the galleries.

Okorie said, “Today makes it the fourth time I have been going to the bank. I left my house by 4am so that I could be able to make a withdrawal.

“I was even told that some people slept in the ATM gallery because the only machine dispensing money stopped working by 2am.”

Another customer, Moses Chidiebube, described the naira redesign policy as demonic and evil.
Another bank customer, Kingsley Obi, also lamented the suffering Nigerians were going through to get cash.

He said, “I went to the bank around 1.30am yesterday (Thursday) only to withdraw N20,000 around 11am. So, people have left their businesses to stay in ATM galleries. This is the worst policy of this administration.

“When Buhari came as a military Head of State in 1983, because of his inept administration, Nigerians suffered. Now he is at it again.”

In Onitsha, Nnewi, Obosi, Ekwulobia and some parts of Awka in Anambra State, customers besieged the banks as early as 6am in order to get favourable positions in the queues.

It was lamentation from the customers as they were yet to be attended to as of 1:45pm.

Most of the banks shut their banking halls to customers as early as 9am, while allowing only those who had come to deposit cash into the halls.

In Niger State, most of the banks had yet to implement the CBN directive to commence payment of cash over the counter.

Banks premises in Lokoja, Kogi State, were similarly besieged on Friday by frustrated customers in search of elusive cash, which had been in short supply for the past two weeks.

At the GTBank Fenn junction, a large crowd of customers thronged the ATM gallery, with only one machine dispensing cash to customers.

Treasure Atabor, a customer in the queue told Saturday PUNCH that he arrived at the bank around 5am to beat the crowd but was surprised to meet a long queue.

Similar queues were noticed at the UBA opposite Prince Abubakar Audu University, Ayingba.

At the Zenith Bank, Ankpa, angry residents expressed displeasure with the treatment meted out to them as they were denied access to their money

Most commercial banks within the Sokoto metropolis closed their gates as customers struggled to enter the premises on Friday.

Customers attack banks

Saturday PUNCH gathered that a machete-wielding man attacked a branch of the UBA in the Ibafo area of Ogun State on Thursday by scaling the fence of a neighbouring building to get onto the bank’s premises in broad daylight and succeeded in destroying some decorative glasses before he was overpowered by four policemen.

A security guard explained that the measure became necessary in view of the incident with the machete-wielding customer the previous day.

The guard explained, “We have been instructed not to allow many people into the banking hall in order to avert disaster. Yesterday (Thursday), an angry customer, who wielded a cutlass, scaled the fence and jumped onto the bank premises and broke some glass before he was overwhelmed by four policemen and taken to the station.

“We were lucky that the security doors were functional. Only God knows the havoc he would have wreaked if he had got into the banking hall with the weapon he was holding.”

At the Access Bank branch in Ibafo, it was observed that customers were not at the ATM gallery as the machines were not dispensing cash. It was learnt that the branch did not open for normal banking operations for three days because a female customer created a scene there on Tuesday by stripping to her underwear due to frustration of not getting cash as she claimed that her children were starving at home and she could not get money to buy food for them.

Saturday PUNCH gathered that there were also attacks on a branch of Fidelity Bank on Victoria Island, Lagos; Access Bank on Broad Street, Lagos Island; UBA branch in Oke-Arin, Lagos Island; and First Bank, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos.

Similarly, the Wema Bank, Agodi Gate branch, Ibadan, was attacked by youths, who broke the windows and the ATM gallery with stones and sticks in a viral video obtained by Saturday PUNCH.

A corporate affairs manager of a Tier-1 bank, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the matter, confirmed the attacks to one of our correspondents, but said it was too early to take count as reports from the branches were still coming in.

“Angry customers and hoodlums are destroying bank branches. I can confirm that our bank has suffered some attack, but the reports are just coming from our branches. Give me some time to get the reports so that I can be categorical about the attacks,” he said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/new-naira-nightmare-buhari-consigns-nigerians-to-seven-more-days-of-hardship/%3famp

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 4:29am On Feb 04, 2023
APC and all members of the party will be filled with confusion and make more errors in governance until the party disintegrates

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by SmartPolician: 4:29am On Feb 04, 2023
We were told in his first coming that Nigerians were queuing up to buy groceries. In his second coming, we are queuing up to withdraw money while many are buying naira.

That man has no atom of leadership quality in him. I don't blame the old herder though. I blame those who voted for him twice clear-headed.

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by baby124: 4:33am On Feb 04, 2023
When you plot revenge dig two graves. Either it backfire or the person also revenge against you. Obviously all of them plotting this nonsense no get brain at all. Do your Presidency and leave there my friend! You said no, you want to destroy everything you did not build because you are jealous and angry! Shame on you! See what you will be remembered for? Shame!

Emefie is a thief and should be arrested. I hope he is probed by the incoming government. He definitely has those new notes by the billion hidden somewhere.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Equal2DeTask(m): 4:36am On Feb 04, 2023
Show me anyone that voted this Buhari's APC government, give me a gun, I will shoot that person dead.... angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by MasterTeeUSA: 4:39am On Feb 04, 2023
The effect of this policy will be felt for years to come. The threat to bank workers and the fact that people are realizing that going extreme will make the bank managers act...expect to see more of such actions. The vandalization of the bank branches will cost billions. This begs the question...Is it really worth it? My answer is NO...you can have a good policy and bad timing. THIS WAS A GOOD POLICY AND BAD TIMING...I CAN SEE OBI IS QUIET AND NOT SAYING ANYTHING. THIS IS THE MOMENT THAT SEPARATES LEADERS. YOU HAVE TO TAKE A STAND TELLING PEOPLE TO STICK TO THIS NONSENSE OR CALL CBN TO ORDER. KEEPING QUIET IS WHAT STUPID LEADERS WILL DO. VOTE WISELY.

Marisa1:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/new-naira-nightmare-buhari-consigns-nigerians-to-seven-more-days-of-hardship/%3famp

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by DonBigE82: 4:39am On Feb 04, 2023
Good Bye Bulaba

4 Likes

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by smile11s(m): 4:39am On Feb 04, 2023
inneresting

Qualified Nigerians With PVCs Will Vote In The Next Few Weeks. Are We Educated Enough To Vote For The Right Choices Without Prejudice?

https://gist.am/q/qualified-nigerians-with-pvcs-will-vote-in-the-next-few-weeks-are-we-educated-e

1 Like

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Bonel(m): 4:41am On Feb 04, 2023
There's famine in the land!

3 Likes

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Ogaga87(m): 4:43am On Feb 04, 2023
The suffering we have today with this naira and fuel is because of Tinubu the JONAH in the ship.. Gather hand cast Jim to the sea and complete calmness will return..

Buhari administration is corrupt but handling power back to Tinubu, a man who bullion van can miss its way to his house, that will be the highest joke ever.. Corruption will come in a more refreshing and vibrant outlook that will erase the country looking at our country's current debt.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by BloomingDale(f): 4:44am On Feb 04, 2023
baby124:
When you plot revenge dig two graves. Either it backfire or the person also revenge against you. Obviously all of them plotting this nonsense no get brain at all. Do your Presidency and leave there my friend! You said no, you want to destroy everything you did not build because you are jealous and angry! Shame on you! See what you will be remembered for? Shame!

Emefie is a thief and should be arrested. I hope he is probed by the incoming government. He definitely has those new notes by the billion hidden somewhere.

All the blame should fall on your darling Buhari. What concerns you and Emefiele? Did you vote for him? Did you hire him? No

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by seeyounow: 4:46am On Feb 04, 2023
shocked kiss kiss

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by bibelo: 4:47am On Feb 04, 2023
The worst hardship that can befall citizens of a country.May God bless my bank cashier for advicing me not to deposit all my old notes on Monday.. my own viral video for pass the naked woman. I hope all those saying it's to stop vote buying are seeing how the votes are being bought.
We are never objective in this country,there's no major party that doesn't induce voter and supporters don't be deceived. Even labour party gave money to mobilize people for the campaign in jos.
Buhari can be going to daura and let osinbajo handle this country,we already he's tired and we don't mind to keep paying him his salary when he steps aside.
Nigeria who we offend?
The British can please come and recolonize us jare... Useless people and useless country

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Nobody: 4:51am On Feb 04, 2023
Nigerians have really suffered under APC. APC has no humanity in them and need to go ASAP. When I see their adverts on Nairaland I just wonder what they take Nigerians for. Like are they joking.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:51am On Feb 04, 2023
sad
Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Moh247: 4:53am On Feb 04, 2023
According to his statement the 7 days isn't even certain because he barely blamed Banks

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by remi4ever(m): 5:04am On Feb 04, 2023
O ma se o..
What a pity!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by ComeToJesus: 5:06am On Feb 04, 2023
Marisa1:

A bitter stream cannot give out sweet waters. If Nigerians have sense, they won't touch the APC with a ten foot pole. But alas, dem no get sense.

This state of affairs can snowball into a state of anarchy with very dire consequences.

What APC cannot destroy does not exist.

They've succeeded in damaging this once beautiful country.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Nobody: 5:11am On Feb 04, 2023
Still some people still desire to consign the whole country into another horrible 8 years again, Nigerians must get it right this February, enough is enough,it has gotten to a point where anyone seen campaigning for this evil party should be stoned at sight, trying to keep them in Aso-rock for another 8 years is somewhere close to the highest form of wickedness against the suffering masses.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Czarugo007: 5:12am On Feb 04, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
The effect of this policy will be felt for years to come. The threat to bank workers and the fact that people are realizing that going extreme will make the bank managers act...expect to see more of such actions. The vandalization of the bank branches will cost billions. This begs the question...Is it really worth it? My answer is NO...you can have a good policy and bad timing. [b]THIS WAS A GOOD POLICY AND BAD TIMING...I CAN SEE OBI IS QUIET AND NOT SAYING ANYTHING. THIS IS THE MOMENT THAT SEPARATES LEADERS. YOU HAVE TO TAKE A STAND TELLING PEOPLE TO STICK TO THIS NONSENSE OR CALL CBN TO ORDER. KEEPING QUIET IS WHAT STUPID LEADERS WILL DO. VOTE WISELY. [/b]please leave OBI out of these,na only Obi you see,you see Atiku and Kwankwaso even Sowore.since your demi god tinubu talk,has things changed?

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by KangaIye: 5:13am On Feb 04, 2023
And some people are still campaigning for the party in power.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Czarugo007: 5:13am On Feb 04, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
The effect of this policy will be felt for years to come. The threat to bank workers and the fact that people are realizing that going extreme will make the bank managers act...expect to see more of such actions. The vandalization of the bank branches will cost billions. This begs the question...Is it really worth it? My answer is NO...you can have a good policy and bad timing. THIS WAS A GOOD POLICY AND BAD TIMING...I CAN SEE OBI IS QUIET AND NOT SAYING ANYTHING. THIS IS THE MOMENT THAT SEPARATES LEADERS. YOU HAVE TO TAKE A STAND TELLING PEOPLE TO STICK TO THIS NONSENSE OR CALL CBN TO ORDER. KEEPING QUIET IS WHAT STUPID LEADERS WILL DO. VOTE WISELY.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by karzyharsky(m): 5:17am On Feb 04, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Onyiiobi7735(m): 5:19am On Feb 04, 2023
APC is a malignant cancer that has done so much damage to Nigeria, and must be uprooted at all costs.But what surprises me is that some, claiming to be normal upstairs,are still ready and willing to vote for this Satanic party APC again this February.

6 Likes

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by OlujobaSamuel: 5:30am On Feb 04, 2023
SmartPolician:
We were told in his first coming that Nigerians were queuing up to buy groceries. In his second coming, we are queuing up to withdraw money while many are buying naira.

That man has no atom of leadership quality in him. I don't blame the old herder though. I blame those who voted for him twice clear-headed.
Were you not one of those defending this policy with all zeal and vigour?
Should we now blame you for the actions of Emefiele and Buhari??
Abeg, leave people and face those causing the crisis, don't be like bubu fanatics that can't man up when they make mistakes.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Ahuitzotl: 5:37am On Feb 04, 2023
With the government imposed hardships doing the rounds all about the general populace with the rare opportunity of an election so close by, I think it's safe to say people will run away from the ApC logo on the ballot paper...for most voters, it will come as a knee-jerk reaction...thus leaving those NOT in APC to have great margins of success in the election.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by yomi007k(m): 5:38am On Feb 04, 2023
baby124:

Sack Emefiele.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by yomi007k(m): 5:39am On Feb 04, 2023
BloomingDale:

All the blame should fall on your darling Buhari. What concerns you and Emefiele? Did you vote for him? No. Who did you vote for to lead you?

Emefiele is supposed to be the professional in this reagrds.

He has failed and should be sacked.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Redesign: Buhari Consigns Nigerians To Seven More Days Of Hardship - Punch by Tsetimi: 5:42am On Feb 04, 2023
Lord God,pls save Nigerian from this hardship that our heartless leaders has put us. Nigerian let's vote APC out they have nothing to give to us to big fat lies that look like their big head.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Engineers To Repair Refineries For N99bn –NNPC / *URGENT URGENT* fashion retail merchandising FOR NEW STORES ACCROSS NIGERIA / The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.