Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

Jollof Rice - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Jollof Rice (4826 Views)

How Jollof Rice Was Served In A Party (pics) / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander / Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jollof Rice by Pelummy(f): 11:05pm On Sep 09, 2011
Ingrdients and cooking method,needed pls
Re: Jollof Rice by MissyB3(f): 11:57am On Sep 10, 2011
Ingredients
Tomato
Pepper
Seasoning
Onion
Broth/water
Vegetable oil

Procedure
Parboil rice for about 5-10 minutes and then wash

Heat oil in a pot and sauté the already sliced/chopped onion until soft, but not browned

Add tomato paste and the already blended pepper on medium heat while stirring for about 3 minutes

Add maggi and any other desired seasoning

Add rice and continue stirring

Add water [ if you aren't using broth] gradually to ensure you don't put excessive quantity of water. Allow to boil.

Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook until almost all of the water/broth has evapourated.

Taste rice to see if it's well cooked- if so, turn off gas and serve, if not add a little more water/broth.

Enjoy!

Re: Jollof Rice by emofine(f): 10:10pm On Sep 10, 2011
^^nice, much appreciated Missy B.
Re: Jollof Rice by beautyc: 3:54pm On Sep 16, 2011
It be like say make i dey eat am
what a nice food is this !
who dey cook am self
Re: Jollof Rice by beautyc: 4:30pm On Sep 29, 2011
Ah! this jollof dey hungry me 00000000000000000000

Abeg fesh am for me now now
this cooker no go kill me ooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I dey hungry abeg 000000000000000000000000000000000
Re: Jollof Rice by busayochic: 8:15pm On Oct 31, 2011
@Missy ★ B I really doubt if this jollof rice will taste good,

1st you have to cook the pepper mixture for more that 3mins shocked

2ndly, stirring the rice will make it burn embarassed

heres my rendition of your recipe

I did the whole process backwards wink

Re: Jollof Rice by dominique(f): 11:06pm On Oct 31, 2011
the rice in pic 1 looks half done (as it should since the rice was stirred while still cooking) tongue
j/rice in pic 2 looks soggy (as it should since she reversed the process) tongue
Re: Jollof Rice by MissyB3(f): 11:10pm On Oct 31, 2011
busayochic:

1st you have to cook the pepper mixture for more that 3mins shocked
After allowing your stew cook for 3 minutes, you add maggi, I didn't say turn off heat. Lol.
''Add maggi'' and Add rice'' are in 2 different paragraphs, which implies both ingredients are not to be ''introduced'' into the pot concurrently.
After adding maggi, the stew has time to cook before rice comes in. Even if you add rice immediately after maggi, it's still ffine as the stew will eventually cook with the rice.
Plus, timing, in cooking, is subjective.

busayochic:

2ndly, stirring the rice will make it burn embarassed
Putting other factors aside and focusing on only the stir factor, the jollof rice will get burnt IF you:
1) Stir once it starts to boil (after adding broth/water i.e) (probably)

OR
2) Continuously stir while it cooks

After you add your rice to the stew, you can stir as you please, IMMEDIATELY. Before you add water broth.  You should actually stir, to mix the rice with stew.

busayochic:

heres my rendition of your recipe

I did the whole process backwards wink
I want the plantain  embarassed

@Missy ★ B  I really doubt if this jollof rice will taste good,
You're invited to dinner tomorrow.  cheesy
Re: Jollof Rice by Daniso: 4:00pm On Nov 05, 2011
yummy smiley
Re: Jollof Rice by wendoworld(m): 5:17pm On Nov 15, 2011
i always get my jollof rice burnt even after stiring it once(from the begining) sad the most painfull part is that, it now looks like too much oil is in it, cuz it always looks watery somehow. As if the water did not dry up!!! what am i doing wrong i need help!
Re: Jollof Rice by MissyB3(f): 5:23pm On Nov 15, 2011
i always get my jollof rice burnt even after stiring it once(from the begining)  the most painfull part is that, it now looks like too much oil is in it, cuz it always looks watery somehow. As if the water did not dry up!!! what am i doing wrong i need help

As for the rice getting burnt, you could reduce your heat.
Add water gradually, not all at once to prevent the rice from being soggy. Rice, just as pasta, is better if al dente.
Re: Jollof Rice by wendoworld(m): 12:38pm On Nov 20, 2011
^^^ ok, thanks for the help. will try this one out wink
Re: Jollof Rice by Abbeycity4(f): 2:40pm On Nov 21, 2011
i want Missy B jollof rice grin

(1) (Reply)

Have You Eaten The Black Chickens From Indonesia (see Photo) / Need Help To Build A Food Roster / Disposable Paper Cups With Lids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.