Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth (6585 Views)

Black Rhino, Dangote Conclude Plans To Invest $10bn In Kano, South East IPP / See What Nigeria Plans To Borrow Again!!!! / Ghana Plans To Export Electricity To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by OAM4J: 4:35am On Sep 10, 2011
[size=13pt]Nigeria Plans to Overtake Egypt, S’Africa on Economic Growth[/size]

President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said he was poised to ensure that Nigeria recorded steady economic growth, as he outlined steps to be taken by his administration to overtake South Africa and Egypt, which are the only nations that are currently ahead of Nigeria in Africa in terms of economic growth.

The president, who spoke at the 39th Annual General Meeting of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) in Lagos, stated that Nigeria currently stands at the 44th position in the world in terms of Gross Domestic Product (GDP), trailing South Africa and Egypt.

“The Nigerian economy is currently ranked 44th in the world in terms of GDP, behind South Africa and Egypt. It is my firm belief that with the right conditions coupled with our vast resources and manpower, the manufacturing sector can provide the impetus needed to uplift the economy and surpass the African countries currently ranked ahead of us,” he said.

Jonathan, who was represented at the event by the Minister of State for Trade and Investment, Mr. Samuel Ortom, assured the people of his administration’s firm commitment to the transformation of the manufacturing sector, declaring the sector as the fulcrum of his government’s plan to ensure that Nigeria’s economy became number one in Africa.

He said in his plan to make Nigeria the nation with the largest GDP in Africa, the emphasis would be on further diversification of the economy; increasing investment in agriculture and industrial-based commercial farming; reduction in the cost of production and improved productivity in the manufacturing sector and job creation for the teaming youths.

He however noted that the achievement of unprecedented growth in the country was seriously hindered by various factors including poor power availability and supply as well as acute dearth of adequate infrastructure.

“We are vigorously pursuing the implementation of our road map on power sector reforms and with the completion of the on-going interventions, I am confident that we shall, very shortly, begin to see improvements in this respect,” Jonathan said.

“The transformation of the manufacturing sector cannot be complete without the achievement of energy efficiency in our industries. We must therefore begin to upgrade our production technologies to save energy and produce quality goods at very competitive prices in tune with modern practices,” he added.

He noted that the economy currently required massive infrastructural development to support and sustain rapid economic development, admitting that the task of rapid transformation of Nigeria’s deficient infrastructure was beyond government’s capacity to achieve working alone.

“The private sector is therefore being encouraged to participate in funding of capital intensive infrastructure projects across the country. We shall continue with the privatisation of key infrastructure services as well as put in place a strategic plan for the protection and management of such national infrastructure,” he added.

The president of MAN, Kola Jamodu, in his address there was need for speed and careful prioritisation of execution of programmes and activities to achieve maximum impact within the limited time.

“MAN fully supports the transformation agenda of the present administration and will do everything possible to make it a success. We are particularly delighted with the emphasis on job creation and the improvement of the living standards of Nigerians,” he said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigeria-plans-to-overtake-egypt-s-africa-on-economic-growth/98120/
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by iswell1(m): 4:44am On Sep 10, 2011
pd god will help you and nigeria to get this done.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Nobody: 5:08am On Sep 10, 2011
I think Nigeria should be ahead of Egypt due to the crisis of the deposed president !
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by musiwa48: 5:17am On Sep 10, 2011
countries ahead of Nigeria in africa are plenty,   

Algeria is ahead of Nigeria.
Tunisia is ahead of Nigeria.
libya too
You have Mozambique is ahead of Nigeria too.   Here is Mozambique

Nigeria is going noway,

Algeria is ahead of Nigeria.
Tunisia is ahead of Nigeria.

alot of the countries are now ahead of Nigeria. 

Here is how some of this countries now look like. Nigeria is far behind because of ethnic hate.

[img]http://www.yellowpages.com.eg/modules/uploads/cityguide/photos/english/giza_photo05.jpg[/img]

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsirKx9eldNbjJ1VI_jknJ_GuVSJoNESP-zsO8qKysDOSpw-UK[/img]

Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by owobokiri(m): 5:20am On Sep 10, 2011
Where is the blueprint? I can sit here and fantasize going to bed with Rhihanna tonight or having more money than Dangote next week, but confronted with facts, reality will definitely sink in. South Africa produces over 50,000 megawatts of power, Nigeria, ? Are you going to fire up the industrial growth with your abunna
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by owobokiri(m): 6:42am On Sep 10, 2011
@Abujazz

Do we really need all these 'cutting edge geophysical bla bla bla' to JUST "drill"? Really All while "targeting ground water accumulations within the subsurface"? Seriously!? Or am i too dense for this? You never talk wetin you dey "drill".
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 10, 2011
Like I said on the other thread: Nigeria plans to do this, Nigeria plans to do that, bla furking bla. Yet since 1960 we haven't taken a single foward step.

Shyt country.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by yusuf2(m): 8:28am On Sep 10, 2011
What can we other than to wait & see! Wish i could lay my hands on a copy of that plan though.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 10, 2011
Since eon past, all Nigerian politicians do best is pacify the citizens with sweet talk.

And oh yh, everyone takes it in hook,line and sinker lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Delafruita(m): 8:53am On Sep 10, 2011
Fellow Nigerians,vote chris okotie in 2015.at least of we will elect a president that is only good at talking,lets elect one that has plenty grammar to bamboozle us with
if we will elect a president because his slogan is "fresh air",why not just elect one whose party is FRESH?
Abi i no dey make sense?
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Onyocha: 9:12am On Sep 10, 2011
another reason the west would like to see Nigeria divided and chaos spread through the land and their firm grip be placed is their fear of Nigeria's economic potential.with democracy even though slowly Nigeria has being moving forward.the more poorer and third world countries develop,the more independent and strong they become.the west would undoubtedly feel sidelined.when third world countries become developed,they have more uses for their own resources and they in turn manufacture many of their needs and wants.in that they,the western countries who see themselves as "producers" get less resources from the developing third world countries and less of their manufactured goods are sold abroad as the third world countries start producing their own.

any third world country going forward towards development is a threat to the west.if Nigeria improves in any way that has to do with the consumption of resources and the production of goods,that is a minus to the west.the west is seated on ice and they lack resources compared to other parts of the world.

little by little you'd get to conncet the puzzle and smell western involvement in Nigeria's affairs and their cry about terrorism in Nigeria in order to meddle in our affairs and derail our strides towards progress.they allow you get some crumbs if they are sucking you.they want their own companies to be perpetually here producing and sending the spoils back.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Builder: 9:45am On Sep 10, 2011
^^^^^^^^
Onyocha,

You are right to an extent with regards of the west trying to dismantle and meddle in other developing country's affairs but at the same time i fault ur logic,

have you been reading the wikileaks account on Nigeria lately? the west dont need to meddle in our economical affairs, infact our leaders beg them, plead with

them to meddle and destroy our country

Nigeria for the past 50 years or so have never moved an inch towards becoming a developed country, we have always been underdeveloped, maldeveloped,

misdeveloped, undeveloped, and any other prefix that negates the word development. India, china, japan, brazil, uk and many more countries were below

nigeria in terms of national and economic growth in the 70s and 80s but now the reverse is the case. in theory, we have all the natural resources this planet

have to offer to make Nigeria sustainable for decades if not centuries to come but reality thats never the case and pls dont tell me thats as a result of the

westerners meddling in our affairs, with all our natural riches, we still swim in poverty, our educational system is non extent, no security or safety, no social

amenities or infrastructure and dont get me started on corruption and mismanagement, thats a country where people live on a dollar a day, a country where

it is fashionable for its leaders to embezzle millions of dollars

Its obvious Nigeria is a failed state, to make matters worse we elect a cowboy, everyday we hear different promises, the housing by all by the year 2000 still

havent been accomplish, the OBJ promise of electricity for all and 18 billion dollar is still uncounted for, now it cowboy Jona;s turn to tell us his story of how we

gonna match up economically with the power houses of africa, where our Ghanaian neighbors and breathing down our neck economically.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 10, 2011
@Onyocha
You are right. But the West doesnt in anyway stop Nigeria from generating electricity and infrastructures. Stop blaming the West for our silly mentality. I assume you are one of those Nigerians who fantasize about travelling abroad, to the West.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Onyocha: 10:19am On Sep 10, 2011
@ the two above replying me

i agree that the west cannot tie your hands down and nigerians must act.but you are not seeing things from the angle im seeing things.the west always have policies that they try to impose on developing countries.you need smart and able leaders like those in china,iran and india to stand up.see for example how much noise they have made to stop iran from using nuclear energy to generate electricity.iran still made their case,maintained that the project is civil and peaceful and they have started producing electricity from it.

our own Jonathan was invited to a nuclear summit and the USA pressed his head to give up with nigeria's nuclear project.just weeks later after the earth quake in japan,nigeria used that as the excuse to give up on nuclear energy.the govt. said nigeria is not ready to go into such a project.it only took Japan one week later after the disaster to resume work in their nuclear sites while nigeria that is miles away and not prone to earth quakes gave up their project.this is a nonchalant attitude the west loves in our leaders.if from the beginning nigeria knows it was not ready why did it venture into such project?it means that either there was no proper planning and thinking or someone somewhere far away has pressured Jonathan to give up.

this same west had no problem with a nuclear south africa during apartheid.once the whites there lost power,they became concerned.likewise israel has deadly nuclear weapons in the middle east and the only country there with it.but the west doesnt care.all they do is to disturb our heads with iran that has maintained that it is after electricity and not weapons.they themselves that keep bugging us with iran,have weapons.the americans have used it.

the leaders we have are incompetent and they do not act properly.infact with western influence they feel they can beat and outrun their political opponents at home and impress the people.they forget that power is from the people.the west is well pleased with leaders as such that they can play with and manipulate and always smile for them.

when Nigeria is improving the govt. will increase pump price or the naira will crash.it always happens and who is to blame?if we have good leaders,the west will be displeased.that is why when i am blaming them,it is not because i dont know that they have nigerians they are using.i know that.

see also countries like saudi arabia,qatar and bahrain with tyrannical dictators.they are all friends to the west.but this same west is conducting campaigns in libya to oust another dictator and use that as a chance to steal oil and impose its will on the rebels.they did similarly in iraq.the problem is you have to look deep even within yourself to know the problem from afar and how they are manipulating things.they are not just sitting down and waiting for things to happen.they are active planning and doing things the way they like at the detriment of others.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Onyocha: 10:34am On Sep 10, 2011
@Builder

you raised a point that "it is fashionable for our leaders to embezzle millions of dollars".

well do you think the west that keeps using corruption to to hammer us is sad? it is these same leaders that steal billions from african,arab and asian countries that keep the west going financially.

these thieves steal and keep the money in western banks.those banks use the money and the economy of the west develops and develops while africa is drained.

with the slightest issue at hand,the west will intervene and order their banks to freeze billions which will be used by them and may be never returned.they did it with mubarak and qaddafi.their billions were frozen in banks.

i hope our leaders learn not to keep money there.

[b]I WANT TO APPEAL TO THEM THAT IF THEY WANT TO STEAL PLEASE THEY SHOULD GO AHEAD AND STEAL BECAUSE WE CANNOT EVEN THINK OF STOPPING THEM.BUT PLEASE AND PLEASE AFTER STEALING THE BILLIONS,THEY SHOULD KEEP THOSE BILLIONS IN NIGERIAN BANKS.THAT WILL BOAST OUR ECONOMY AND WE HAVE EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD TO GAIN.IT WILL CAUSE US NO HARM IF BILLIONS THAT ARE KEPT IN EUROPE AND AMERICA ARE BROUGHT TO NIGERIA WRITTEN IN THE NAME OF OUR CORRUPT LEADERS.IF THEY LIKE,LET THEM ABOLISH EFCC.LET THESE LEADERS DONT BE SCARED TO KEEP THEIR MONEY BACK HOME.THE FEAR EFCC IS CAUSING THEM IS HARMING OUR ECONOMY AND LEADING THEM TO KEEP THEIR MONEY ABROAD AT THE EXPENSE OF OUR BANKS AND ECONOMY.IF WE RECORD BILLIONS IN THE NAME OF THESE CORRUPT MEN IN BANKS,IT WILL NOT HARM US LIKE TAKING THE MONEY OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY.THESE BILLIONS WILL BE KEPT IN BANKS AND THESE LEADERS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THOSE MONEY IN THEIR LIFETIME AND EVEN FOR GENERATIONS.SO IN THE MEANTIME LET OUR ECONOMY REAP THE BENEFIT FROM THE PRESENCE OF THE HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY.THEY SHOULD KEEP THEIR LOOT IN NIGERIAN BANKS.IT WILL HELP US MORE THAN US THINKING WE CAN STOP CORRUPTION WITH EFCC.THE BEST WAY TO STOP CORRUPTION IS BY DEVELOPING OUR COUNTRY AND DOING AWAY WITH POVERTY.IF EVERYONE HAS MONEY,EVERYONE WILL FIND WAYS OF PROTECTING HIS WEALTH.THE WEST LOOTED AFRICA THROUGH COLONIALISM.NOW IN THEIR EFFORT TO PROTECT THE LOOT AND THEIR WEALTH GENERATED,THEY PREACH ABOUT FIGHTING CORRUPTION. [/b]
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by gentleoyink: 10:46am On Sep 10, 2011
@onyocha you have spoken well.

USA is the only country that has 'tested' a nuclear bomb on another country. They should be the last talking about policing Iran.

In order for Bros Jona to achieve his economic plans, he needs people with brains to work with, not those politicians we see around him.

Also, Govt. does not need to do everything. Just locate infrastructure strategically, and the citizens will naturally develop the rest.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by PHIPEX(m): 11:10am On Sep 10, 2011
I agree completely with Onyocha, even though am happy that Gaddafi is out of power, but I can't stop wondering why the "Samaritan west" have turned a blind eye on Somalia that has been in crises for over 20years but chose to take off Gaddafi from a stable country.
Nigerians may be abysmally corrupt but I know that some of the economic sabotage we are witnessing in the country especially in power sector are their handiwork. Don't be surprised that they know more than we think about Boko Harram afterall a west that can support Islamic Militants to remove Gaddafi can support any group in Nigeria to keep us in "check" and ensure that their 2015 prophecy is realised. I believe with time Wikileak may prove me right.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by chidyke77(m): 11:29am On Sep 10, 2011
If we cn start wt corrupt present and past leaders and dealt wt them it wl be acheivable. Wtout dealing wt corruption first we are going no where.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by kliverpool(m): 12:21pm On Sep 10, 2011
the west is still crying about Human right in China
united state is owing China.
almost 50% of goods consumed in the west is now produced in China
with cheap labor.
Yet the west is not boycotting goods produced in China.

The west will only try and can not stop any country  from developing
Our leaders is 100% responsible for our situation.

the first set of rail rack in United state where build by U s engineers with   Chinese laborer.
Now china is helping US to build new fast rail system guess who is going to do labor United state citizen

Its up to Nigeria to think of what we want to do with our numerous natural  Resources .

Its not the west that say we should sell oil and keep the money in Swiss account.
Its not the west that say our education should be very bad that we now Go to Ghana.
its not the west that say we should not refine our crude oil here
Its not the west that say we should not fund police (u need to see the kind of training they get and how much they are paid before u expect any thing from them )
Its not the west that say we should not introduce large scale farming (mechanized farming)in every local government so we can produce food and create job.
Its not the west that killed our rail system(that we now move goods via same road that small cars are moving)
Its not the west that allow oil company to spill oil and destroy our land(Shell can not do what they are doing any other place only Nigeria )
Its not the west that told our past leaders not to educate the north and provide opportunity for them despite the fact most of our past  leaders are from north.(what gave birth to boko haram)
Its not the west that say we should not go to the street and protest and ask for better condition from these evil rulers we have.

so blame no one for your problem.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by segunjowo(m): 12:39pm On Sep 10, 2011
Our leaders are our number one problem.
Our laws are not working. This country is just not working. I only wonder why. GEJ is confused, whatever he says now can only be taken at face value- at best. Let him start working and stop talking(he can't even express himself fluently despite his phd). We should be the one to access if our economy is growing, and overtaking other countries, not him.
Benin/Ore/Lagos road has been bad since the inception of our democracry 12 yrs ago, successive government has yet to fix a portion less than 2km gone bad in Ore axis(especially) of the road. How does Mr. President plan to overcome other nations with such infrastructures as road gone bad all over the country?
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by cap28: 1:26pm On Sep 10, 2011
nigeria plans to overtake egypt and rsa and yet the average nigerian lives in substandard accommodation, does not have access to good healthcare or education and life expectancy for the average nigerian is 48 years - so who is really fooling who?

if you restructure your economy so that it suits the requirements of foreign investors and their mulinationals overlords how is that a plus for nigeria and nigerians?

there is no point telling me that our so called economy is doing well because its complying with master's demands if the workers on the plantation dont have constant electricity, clean running water, sanitary living accommodation, jobs, affordable food and a decent standard of education.

nigeria - land of the sheeple - it doesnt matter how far into the gutter you kick our people, they will still look on the bright side of things!
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Ufeolorun(m): 1:40pm On Sep 10, 2011
Another one grin grin
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by luv4scents(f): 2:17pm On Sep 10, 2011
Vision what is this one? Vision 5050? Nigeria shouldn't make comparison with other countries but with herself. We should set targets that are higher than previous years and not other countries. we should be thinking of how Nigeria of 2012 will be better than Nigeria of 1980 and not how to surpass Egypt.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by JUO(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2011
by looting?
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 10, 2011
@musiwa.,.

Is this how you are going to be the president of Nigeria you are clamoring for?

Stop posting shitty images of African countries. I can tell out of the images of countries you posted there only one of them whose economy is larger than Nigeria's.

I think there are potentials in the country and the govt. need to start acting now!
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by sweet9ja: 3:57pm On Sep 10, 2011
In Ceausescu's Romania, everything including electricity was rationed. Romanians at one time where only allowed 8 hrs of electricity per day, even in dept of winter, which btw is very cold there.
If you want to buy a loaf of bread in Bulgeria in 80's you'll likely have to cue and by the time you get to the end of the line the shop was empty. I remember that the average monthly salary in Poland, like most countries in the COMECON, in the mid 1980's was about US$10.00. , even the mighty USSR was despirately poor.
FF to 2011, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Ireland, all in Euroland, are all having huge economic crisis. Greece is at brink of bankrupcy.
Remember, those East European countries I memtion earlier, they are now members of the EU, their economies and living standard have improved a lot, thanks to the complete overhaule of the economies and mentality of the people.
The goals being push by the GON are archievable but, in order to get there, we must make some sacrifices and learn to do things differently.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by gree212: 5:07pm On Sep 10, 2011
Fellow Nigerians!
there is no way Nigeria will move forward if there is no ELECTRICITY. Until there is constant power supply and incorporation of companies to increase competition in the power sector, He is just day dreaming!
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by toboy: 5:23pm On Sep 10, 2011
hmm those picutres are they realy in Africa hmm i doubt oo!!
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by hannydarl(f): 5:32pm On Sep 10, 2011
We dey look na. seeing is believing. I want the best for Nigeria and would be happy if this dream comes true.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by sweet9ja: 5:49pm On Sep 10, 2011
@musiwa, tanx for the photos but, that a lone doesn't tell the whole story. Every country has it set of challenges just like naija.
The problem with us is that we seem to have noticed our problems very late and now in haste to set things right.
Re: Nigeria Plans To Overtake Egypt & RSA On Economic Growth by Gigastar(m): 8:22pm On Sep 10, 2011
Posting story is rubbish. Let's think of what to do to make our country NIGERIA Great.

(1) (2) (Reply)

UPS And EMS Which Is BETTER? / Top Five Banks Account For 47% Of Industry’s Impaired Credits / How To Get Pencom Exemption For Your Small Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.