Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,965 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? (6217 Views)

Andela Learnig Community Thread / About Andela Home Study Test / Join The Andela Learning Community; Powered By Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:13pm On Feb 15, 2023
Bloomsbury:
Omo, devs in Nigeria need to know about this company.
Please do you mind sharing their name or link or YouTube video.
Basically that is how Andela should be doing...am still surprised why there no company in Nigeria doing this.

I would love to write about this company on my medium publishing company, Twitter & LinkedIn. More people need to know about them.

I think Enyata is doing something similar. Not just sure if their devs work remotely for other companies.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by OlawaleBammie: 9:43pm On Feb 15, 2023
qtguru:

So Codementor is a site, where you get paid to teach, there are some accounts created for Andela people, which allow payment to be made to Andela tutors based on trust.

a Nigerian used the account to act like he was teaching someone else, but he was teaching his other account so he can get paid as a tutor when Codementor noticed it, they closed the Andela account, and Andela decided not to use the Codementor account because of a bad reputation.

Like seriously I feel like crying and covering my eyes in shame for my country people cry cry

Bro I once asked u a vital question but u refused to grant me audience
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by qtguru(m): 9:58pm On Feb 15, 2023
OlawaleBammie:

Like seriously I feel like crying and covering my eyes in shame for my country people cry cry

Bro I once asked u a vital question but u refused to grant me audience

A lot on my mind, unless you bring it up I won't remember.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by OlawaleBammie: 10:06pm On Feb 15, 2023
qtguru:

A lot on my mind, unless you bring it up I won't remember.

Yea

Like I have interest in moving abroad, probably to Canada, tho I should have started arranging my papers but I put it on hold for now, reason been that I am undergoing a software engineering program in a bootcamp and I want to finish the program and have some months of internship (not necessarily a paid internship tho) before I start preparing for my journey.

Tho I wil be using study route to move abroad but deep down of me I know I don't want to do any other job abroad apart from software engineering.

How viable do u think I can achieve this and secure job quickly sir. I don't want to go there and start suffering mysef and blaming mysef later.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by qtguru(m): 10:15pm On Feb 15, 2023
OlawaleBammie:

Yea

Like I have interest in moving abroad, probably to Canada, tho I should have started arranging my papers but I put it on hold for now, reason been that I am undergoing a software engineering program in a bootcamp and I want to finish the program and have some months of internship (not necessarily a paid internship tho) before I start preparing for my journey.

Tho I wil be using study route to move abroad but deep down of me I know I don't want to do any other job abroad apart from software engineering.

How viable do u think I can achieve this and secure job quickly sir. I don't want to go there and start suffering mysef and blaming mysef later.

You are not limited to Software dev, the only thing you can use to sustain is picking up freelance skills or new skills. there are some tools you can learn to get some earnings. No-code tools are trendy and require little technical skills. However, I'll advise starting some freelance on the side, so that when you enter Canada, you can still have some earnings or something to sustain. If you can join a freelance community or research what skills to learn.

Also, prayers too, because surviving in another man's land is not beans. wish you all the best. Check Canada freelance community online and see what it's like.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by OlawaleBammie: 10:26pm On Feb 15, 2023
qtguru:

You are not limited to Software dev, the only thing you can use to sustain is picking up freelance skills or new skills. there are some tools you can learn to get some earnings. No-code tools are trendy and require little technical skills. However, I'll advise starting some freelance on the side, so that when you enter Canada, you can still have some earnings or something to sustain. If you can join a freelance community or research what skills to learn.

Also, prayers too, because surviving in another man's land is not beans. wish you all the best. Check Canada freelance community online and see what it's like.

thanks bro, lemme check the freelance community as u proscribed sir.

Ese gan sir.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 9:58am On Feb 16, 2023
DissTroy:

My guy! I decided to officially add these to the services my digital tech agency offer at the beginning of the year., scaling into full brand identity creation and management. Still redeveloping the website. Should be done before the elections.

I had to teach 4 lawyers how to draw up some documents in the last 3 years. I have been doing pitch decks too and even went offline to do a sponsorship package (pitch deck and all for a client). I do all business writings and intensive documentation myself.

I guess it's why I don't describe myself as a web developer - I ideate and grow brand with digital tech. Web development, graphic and UI, and marketung are just some of such ways of achieving that.
I call myself a digitech builder. I guess it best describes you too.

Note:This is me using another account. Nairaland limited me from commenting after some while...claimed their servers is overwhelmed.

To succeed in building a startup, you need to be both good as a sales person and a technical person. People have a lot of problems that need to be solved. Use Technology to solve them in various ways.

I noticed a lot aren't good in business writings, pitch decks and tech NDA agreements that's why I had to go learn it to solve people's problems.

If you go to upwork or Fiverr, you will be amazed to see how much people are willing to pay for those writings jobs; $350, $500, $800, $1900 etc for business proposal &other writing jobs.

But that also gives a problem for people especially here in Nigeria. They can't receive payment from all those foreign freelance plaforms.

Curr, Transferwise (wise) is the best means to receive payments from abroad, upwork and Fiverr for Nigerians and Africans bit getting a verified transferwise (wise) account seems almost impossible for Nigerians.

So to solve their problems, I wrote a simple ebook explaining how to verify your TRANSFERWISE account yourself using Crypto stable coins ( can be BUSD or USDT or DIA).
You can get in touch with me here to get the e-book ( 090= 2548= 1894)

So what is my point?

In the journey of Trying to be a startup founder, you have to become a lot of things in the early days to grow and bring your idea to the market before most people can take you seriously.

Although am a software engineer, I had to become a business & sales person to get to know what people really want.

One of the software am building is a simple idea but a big huge problem....it not something big you might be thinking of.

The idea is a software to edit PDFs
Ideas are nothing, execution is what matters ( except you're building a biotech or hardtecj company, then ideas matter small)

So many people want to edit their PDF documents but can't...let's stop here .

Am rooting for you and for your success in your digital tech agency.

I will open a software agency in Nigeria soon.B currently a USA company gives me more benefits.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 10:08am On Feb 16, 2023
thebosstrevor1:

this isn't only a Nigerian thing

Dont use YC as the yardstick.

Lof of founders end up with little or nothing after raising a lot of funds..... Just ask former andela Nigerian founderssmiley

Note: This is still me. Nairaland limited my account for 3 day now from commenting (claiming servers are overwhelmed)

It's true a lot of founders get little equity sometimes after raising a lot of seed rounds but after carefully examining mist cases, the founders are at fault. Only some biotech and hadtech companies are exception in my case study...cos this type of Companies require billions of dollars to bring to market.

Here are some things I observed.
1. Mist founders don't want to invest their shishsi in their startup only expecting to get money from Investors and foolishly giving the investors too much equity resulting in too much dilution .

2. If your startup is becoming profitable or your business is making a lot of profits...you may never raise funds again...which means you founders get to keep your huge equities.

3. The documents the founders used to raise funds wasn't properly used. The lawyer didn't explicitly stated how much equities the company is willing to give and since the founders don't want to get themselves into all those lawyer Startup stuffs like F stocks etc ...the founders only get to know they have been ripped off later in life.

3. Some founders don't do their due diligence on Investors. We have bad investors who are very greedy. This is why belonging to an accelerator like YC or 500 startups or Techstars is very important. They protect you from bad Investors.

What do you think about what I have just said?

1 Like

Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 10:11am On Feb 16, 2023
DissTroy:

Thank you! I'd check them out. Google brings up a lot of sponsored ads when this is searched and real proof of tech founders who admit to using the services is rare.

You're very correct in that your statement. But do check them out. DOOLA and Stripe Atlas are the best...you can search for them on Twitter so see their reviews from different Entrepreneurs. DOOLA cost $197+ and Stripe Atlas $500.

More than 70% of companies that incorporated in the US and are based in Africa used STRIPE ATLAS.

DOOLA is a new one that just launched and is better.

2 Likes

Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 10:14am On Feb 16, 2023
JoyousFurnitire:

I think Enyata is doing something similar. Not just sure if their devs work remotely for other companies.

This is still me Op. Nairaland limited my account for 3 day now from commenting (claiming servers are overwhelmed)

So this Enyata is a coding bootcamp or what and is which country please?

Can you get the full name or link or is this the full name?
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 10:30am On Feb 16, 2023
OlawaleBammie:

Yea

This is still me Op. Nairaland limited my account for 3 day now from commenting (claiming servers are overwhelmed)

Am happy to hear you're studying to be a software engineer. But I have some new ideas perhaps you haven't explored before.

If you want to move abroad, moving to European countries would be better for you. They are both safer, less expensive and sometimes you can get a very very good pay with some tech companies like €200K -€500k.

If am to recommend, consider this countries; Luxembourg, New Zealand, Sweden, Portugal (very easy to travel), Germany (very easy) , Czech republic, Romania, UK, Estonia, Finland & Netherlands.

Canada is lonely and cold.

You can get cheap schools that cost just $50 - $300 per year in those European countries. There is even a school in Czech republic that cost $25 per year and another school in Romania that cost $250 per year.

I wrote an ebook how to travel out using school for Africans...you can DM to get the book link.
090= 2548= 1894

Now you're still on Nigeria, you can be doing some freelance jobs to be earning you money, which you can be saving that would help you when you relocate abroad.

There are some skills that are so much in demand today you can be using to get freelance jobs. Like for me I had to learn content writer, Ghostwriting, video editing, Ebook writing.

The best place to get a job quickly and even with VISA sponsorship is on LinkedIn.

Just login to your LinkedIn account and write a post..
Saying you need a job. So so is my skills, and these are what I can do like Bala Blu....and then you can write, you are available for VISA sponsorship or relocation etc...and post it...you will see many recruiting firms, business owners and hiring managers contacting you 😁.

Also you can repeat the same thing on TWITTER 😎.

But if you want to relocate fast abroad, apply to study SHORT SKILL COURSES, OR VOCATIONAL TRAINING PROGRAMS in any country of your choice.
They are cheap. For USA , you will need a Via calls M-1 but I don't have much experience with Canada though!

4 Likes

Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 10:39am On Feb 16, 2023
DissTroy:

Exactly. I've always been inclined towards this after studying the Nigerian tech startup ecosystem.

Many individual investors are asking for outrageous equity.

It's sad that the Startup Law isn't being implemented. It'd have democratised access.
---

You know of alternative feasible options?

What are you really asking for you...what do you want to know? I can't wrapp my head around the meaning of your last statement
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 10:45am On Feb 16, 2023
DissTroy:

Exactly what I am doing. 4 ideas spread across fintech subsets and PAAS. It's been taking longer and having to stay awake most nights but it's coming up well since I can do the UI/UX and part product development of two myself (content, building and structuring).

Man! Even YC which is huge and structured takes 7% as equity for $375k investment and gets right of first refusal in every rasing round. Imagine what less structured ones are taking as equity.

Thankfully, I took time to learn marketing asides other technical skills. I have NDAs for everything. Not even my lady has access to documents, content and web files I'm working on.

Between September 2022 and July 2022, I got 3 guys and teams who should be a part of it, sent them NDAs but they were dragging their feet about signing it so I pulled back. Ref flag.

Am curious to know...is the company you're building a software?

Is the company registered only in Nigeria?
If it is not registered in the US as. Deleware C- corps...you might take you longer time to succeed!
The two guys and the team you sent the NDA to, was it a proposal to join the founding team or to employ them?
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 10:47am On Feb 16, 2023
demmyhandsome:

I will like to connect with you on this boss. I need some guides. Can you please drop your contact?

This is still me. Nairaland limited my account for 2day now from commenting (claiming servers are overwhelmed)

Please feel free to reach out regarding anything. Here's my WhatsApp 090=2548=1894

Curious to know, do you have plans of building a tech company in the future?
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by DissTroy(m): 11:38am On Feb 16, 2023
cyberkitty:

What are you really asking for you...what do you want to know? I can't wrapp my head around the meaning of your last statement

That was an earlier discussion with Tensazangetsu20 about structured VC options outside of the cliquey Lagos Angel Networks and the powers that be in the tech startup space. He said he isn't of any option.

cyberkitty:

Am curious to know...is the company you're building a software?

Is the company registered only in Nigeria?
If it is not registered in the US as. Deleware C- corps...you might take you longer time to succeed!
The two guys and the team you sent the NDA to, was it a proposal to join the founding team or to employ them?

My tech agency is registered. Has been for a few years. Basically, we offer digital and creative solutions through it (adding new services now so rebuilding the website to reflect the added services and a whole new Ui - I do a new UI every 18 months or so).

I'm using it as a launching platform to building the other startups.

No, I haven't registered the other startups yet which would focus on building the softwares. The NDA was essentially to discuss the idea with the technical guys without mentioning the specific name of course in view of adopting them into the founding team in exchange for equity.

I'd register them (the other tech startups), of course, bit I have to finalise the part about sole proprietorship or co-founding before registering.

It's the model Flutterwave used in its early days so they could keep afloat with the best brains.

The guys I reached out to dragged their feet on signing the NDAs so I refused to discuss specifics with them. It was a red flag.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by OlawaleBammie: 11:42am On Feb 16, 2023
cyberkitty:

Am happy to hear you're studying to be a software engineer. But I have some new ideas perhaps you haven't explored before.

If you want to move abroad, moving to European countries would be better for you. They are both safer, less expensive and sometimes you can get a very very good pay with some tech companies like €200K -€500k.

If am to recommend, consider this countries; Luxembourg, New Zealand, Sweden, Portugal (very easy to travel), Germany (very easy) , Czech republic, Romania, UK, Estonia, Finland & Netherlands.

Canada is lonely and cold.

You can get cheap schools that cost just $50 - $300 per year in those European countries. There is even a school in Czech republic that cost $25 per year and another school in Romania that cost $250 per year.

I wrote an ebook how to travel out using school for Africans...you can DM to get the book link.
090= 2548= 1894

Now you're still on Nigeria, you can be doing some freelance jobs to be earning you money, which you can be saving that would help you when you relocate abroad.

There are some skills that are so much in demand today you can be using to get freelance jobs. Like for me I had to learn content writer, Ghostwriting, video editing, Ebook writing.

The best place to get a job quickly and even with VISA sponsorship is on LinkedIn.

Just login to your LinkedIn account and write a post..
Saying you need a job. So so is my skills, and these are what I can do like Bala Blu....and then you can write, you are available for VISA sponsorship or relocation etc...and post it...you will see many recruiting firms, business owners and hiring managers contacting you 😁.

Also you can repeat the same thing on TWITTER 😎.

But if you want to relocate fast abroad, apply to study SHORT SKILL COURSES, OR VOCATIONAL TRAINING PROGRAMS in any country of your choice.
They are cheap. For USA , you will need a Via calls M-1 but I don't have much experience with Canada though!

Whaooo

Sir pls I have some questions

1) those countries u mentioned sir, how wil it be possible for someone who doesn't speak their language to blend?
2)what is the best easy way to go, considering I have never had a real life experience in programming, all I know is the one been tot in my bootcamp.
3)How can a newbie secure a freelance job, it's hard for the experienced to get one talk more of we the inexperienced.

1 Like

Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 3:54pm On Feb 16, 2023
cyberkitty:

So this Enyata is a coding bootcamp or what and is which country please?

Can you get the full name or link or is this the full name?
Check
enyata . com
enyata . com / academy
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by Missionaire: 4:29pm On Feb 16, 2023
truthCoder:

My strategy is to build up a working and market ready product first before involving investors.

You can deploy most web solutions now with free tier SaaS. It might take you a long while and personal funding but build it and get it ready for the market.

Projects at idea stages are usually priced like chicken shit by these hawks.

In addition, know that not all businesses need large money. Dont collect 100k usd because it is available when all you need is just 1k usd.

Finally, never discuss your ideas with just anyone. First, they must represent a genuine and verifiable entity and they must have the authorization to have such discussions. Secondly, there must be an NDA that is protecting you.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by Missionaire: 5:31pm On Feb 16, 2023
Bloomsbury:

I just discovered something today that the easiest way Entrepreneurs immigrate to the UK is by registering a UK company right from Nigeria.

One of the surest way many now use to Japa to UK is by registering a limited liability company there. As a non-resident company director, you are entitled for resident permit, business Visa 😁

And also, a UK Visa can also get you into the US.
After registering your company, you will need to visit the UK immigration office in Nigeria to apply for the resident permit. And the process is quite easy for Nigerians who have dozens of startup ideas. 😁

Or you can apply forΒ Sole Representative of an Overseas Business visa
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:54am On Feb 17, 2023
cyberkitty:

Note: This is still me. Nairaland limited my account for 3 day now from commenting (claiming servers are overwhelmed)

It's true a lot of founders get little equity sometimes after raising a lot of seed rounds but after carefully examining mist cases, the founders are at fault. Only some biotech and hadtech companies are exception in my case study...cos this type of Companies require billions of dollars to bring to market.

Here are some things I observed.
1. Mist founders don't want to invest their shishsi in their startup only expecting to get money from Investors and foolishly giving the investors too much equity resulting in too much dilution .

2. If your startup is becoming profitable or your business is making a lot of profits...you may never raise funds again...which means you founders get to keep your huge equities.

3. The documents the founders used to raise funds wasn't properly used. The lawyer didn't explicitly stated how much equities the company is willing to give and since the founders don't want to get themselves into all those lawyer Startup stuffs like F stocks etc ...the founders only get to know they have been ripped off later in life.

3. Some founders don't do their due diligence on Investors. We have bad investors who are very greedy. This is why belonging to an accelerator like YC or 500 startups or Techstars is very important. They protect you from bad Investors.

What do you think about what I have just said?

your points are 100% valid.

i just want to write that, even if you invest your money into your startup, you can also be ripped off by investors. most investors are looking for the best deal possible, and sometimes, they can give you a large sum of money in exchange for huge shares in your company, if you are very desperate you fall into the trap and you lose control of the business.

on the issue of YC, i don't think YC protect you from bad investors, they just give you access to a pool of investors and many investors want what is best for them, if your idea is something related to fintech, you might get a lot of investors willing to invest, as a founder you get overwhelmed and give out shares for nothing if time is not taken you will become an employee in the company you created.

i believe the best way to build a company is to bootstrap to a certain profit level, and have some leverage, investors will come, and when they come, you can walk away when you notice that a bad deal is on the table.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by DissTroy(m): 8:44am On Feb 17, 2023
I took time to go through the Presidential Advisory Council setup implement the Nigerian Startup Act again last night.

I noticed it's made-up partly of the very clique you most know-tow to in the tech industry to get access to Silicon Valley's VC structure, and employees of communications giants and governments who most likely don't have tech businesses of their own or have founded any business for that matter.

How can the branch manager of a bank understand the trials and troubles of founders in the tech startup space? It seems flawed.

Little wonder since October 2022 when the Act was unveiled, nothing has been done about it. I doesn't affect them.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 12:21pm On Feb 17, 2023
thebosstrevor1:

your points are 100% valid.

i just want to write that, even if you invest your money into your startup, you can also be ripped off by investors. most investors are looking for the best deal possible, and sometimes, they can give you a large sum of money in exchange for huge shares in your company, if you are very desperate you fall into the trap and you lose control of the business.

on the issue of YC, i don't think YC protect you from bad investors, they just give you access to a pool of investors and many investors want what is best for them, if your idea is something related to fintech, you might get a lot of investors willing to invest,

i believe the best way to build a company is to bootstrap to a certain profit level, and have some leverage, investors will come, and when they come, you can walk away when you notice that a bad deal is on the table.

I agree with everything you said here o. A lot of investors don't care about you, they are just looking for a way to return profits to their VC firm & grow their career.

This your statement is hilarious 🀣" as a founder you get overwhelmed and give out shares for nothing if time is not taken you will become an employee in the company you created" but it's actually the TRUTH...if you're not careful, you can become an employee in the same company you created after taking too much investments. It's general info that fintech Startups receive the highest investments and can return a lot of 10000X to VC firm...that's why fintech ideas mist times are the most successful startup ideas.

Like you said, the best thing to do is to have LEVERAGE.

Have LEVERAGE before seeking investments. Build a product, make some profits and you won't have to be at the mercy of the Investors.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 12:32pm On Feb 17, 2023
OlawaleBammie:
Whaooo

Sir pls I have some questions

1) those countries u mentioned sir, how wil it be possible for someone who doesn't speak their language to blend?
2)what is the best easy way to go, considering I have never had a real life experience in programming, all I know is the one been tot in my bootcamp.
3)How can a newbie secure a freelance job, it's hard for the experienced to get one talk more of we the inexperienced.

Here are the answers to your questions.

1. As long as you know how to speak English, you will blend. The countries I mentioned are English speaking countries. The only thing you should never do is FRAUD. If you enter police case, only God can help you.

2. The best way to learn is by building...there are lots of projects on GitHub you can try replicate to be job ready. But the best way to be job ready as a programmer is by going to Upwork, go to the area in tech you specialize on .
F
instance, if you're a Web developer, go to web development job section. You will see clients posting for jobs, carefully look at the job descriptions and try to do the job yourself without bidding for it there.
Just be using upwork job section, go to the area in tech you work on and see what people are requesting for to be built or fixed and be implementing them yourself. This is the best way to be job ready.

If you're in web development track, you can also be building chrome Extensions. This is the best way. You can use those chrome Extensions you built as a proof you can build to clients...clients love to see proof of your work. Chrome extensions are ways to build if you know HTML, CSS & JAVASCRIPT.

Am running a coding bootcamp for building chrome Extensions if you're interested. You can DM me @ +234= 9025= 4818=94

3. Using the answers of No.2 you can solve number 3. But most importantly, learn to network in uiu field. Go to LinkedIn, Twitter & Discord to network with developers and they can tell you recent job openings or give you jobs themselves.

2 Likes

Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 12:39pm On Feb 17, 2023
DissTroy:
I took time to go through the Presidential Advisory Council setup implement the Nigerian Startup Act again last night.

I noticed it's made-up partly of the very clique you most know-tow to in the tech industry to get access to Silicon Valley's VC structure, and employees of communications giants and governments who most likely don't have tech businesses of their own or have founded any business for that matter.

How can the branch manager of a bank understand the trials and troubles of founders in the tech startup space? It seems flawed.

Little wonder since October 2022 when the Act was unveiled, nothing has been done about it. I doesn't affect them.

The people making laws in tech Nigeria in most cases are the wrong sets of people.

Too many laws frustrate entrepreneurs. Just take a look at the Nigeria law on starting a Blockckchain company. How many entrepreneurs have those millions to pay for license.

Due to the complex and dystopian tech laws in Nigeria, no wonder many entrepreneurs chose to incorporate their companies in the US, Estonia, UK & France..they are more friendly to entrepreneurs.

What does a bank manager know about building a startup that he should be in the committee making laws for Startup founders?

If you want to make it in Nigeria, register your company as a foreign company and go to Lagos and open a Nigerian subsidiary there...in this way, Nigerians can't bulky your Startup.

And if possible, build a tech company that Nigerian govt has little or no control over for example, a Crypto P2P app, Chrome extensions, AI companies that doesn't require having a physical office (they can't shut you down 😁) if they don't like you.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by OlawaleBammie: 1:54pm On Feb 17, 2023
cyberkitty:

Here are the answers to your questions.

1. As long as you know how to speak English, you will blend. The countries I mentioned are English speaking countries. The only thing you should never do is FRAUD. If you enter police case, only God can help you.

2. The best way to learn is by building...there are lots of projects on GitHub you can try replicate to be job ready. But the best way to be job ready as a programmer is by going to Upwork, go to the area in tech you specialize on .
F
instance, if you're a Web developer, go to web development job section. You will see clients posting for jobs, carefully look at the job descriptions and try to do the job yourself without bidding for it there.
Just be using upwork job section, go to the area in tech you work on and see what people are requesting for to be built or fixed and be implementing them yourself. This is the best way to be job ready.

If you're in web development track, you can also be building chrome Extensions. This is the best way. You can use those chrome Extensions you built as a proof you can build to clients...clients love to see proof of your work. Chrome extensions are ways to build if you know HTML, CSS & JAVASCRIPT.

Am running a coding bootcamp for building chrome Extensions if you're interested. You can DM me @ +234= 9025= 4818=94

3. Using the answers of No.2 you can solve number 3. But most importantly, learn to network in uiu field. Go to LinkedIn, Twitter & Discord to network with developers and they can tell you recent job openings or give you jobs themselves.

Oohh

I feel surpressed by Ur experience already, I think i am overwhelmed sir, I need to take it one after the other.

The tin is I just started and I am yet to mature enough to know the path to follow or build a niche. I am still on C-programming and python, and I can't lie to u I have not had a real life application of any of them so I don't really know how to use them, but I can answer some questions in C and python.

Maybe I should learn more a little to get mysef on track cus with this Ur position and experience I feel lost already sir.
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by cyberkitty: 8:21pm On Feb 17, 2023
OlawaleBammie:

Oohh

I feel surpressed by Ur experience already, I think i am overwhelmed sir, I need to take it one after the other.

The tin is I just started and I am yet to mature enough to know the path to follow or build a niche. I am still on C-programming and python, and I can't lie to u I have not had a real life application of any of them so I don't really know how to use them, but I can answer some questions in C and python.

Maybe I should learn more a little to get mysef on track cus with this Ur position and experience I feel lost already sir.

Please don't feel surpressed or overwhelmed by my comments. Please if I may, I would like to advise you to go into Web development for a starting....it the easiest path to get a freelance job or get hired.

Also if you plan to go into All development later in the future, you can still utilize JAVASCRIPT which you will learn in web dev.

If you would permit me to advise you, choose this pathway.

Phase 1 - HTML Phase 2 - CSS Phase 3 - JavaScript Phase 4 - Git/ Linux Phase 5 - React Phase 6 - Node Phase 7 - Express Phase 8 - Mongo{or MySQL}

It would be very easy for you to build portfolio using JAVASCRIPT to build chrome Extensions which are perfect for showing employers it clients you have job experience.

If you have more questions, please feel free to post them here.

1 Like

Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by OlawaleBammie: 8:34pm On Feb 17, 2023
cyberkitty:

Please don't feel surpressed or overwhelmed by my comments. Please if I may, I would like to advise you to go into Web development for a starting....it the easiest path to get a freelance job or get hired.

Also if you plan to go into All development later in the future, you can still utilize JAVASCRIPT which you will learn in web dev.

Phase 1 - HTML Phase 2 - CSS Phase 3 - JavaScript Phase 4 - Git/ Linux Phase 5 - React Phase 6 - Node Phase 7 - Express Phase 8 - Mongo{or MySQL}

It would be very easy for you to build portfolio using JAVASCRIPT to build chrome Extensions which are perfect for showing employers it clients you have job experience.

tha ms for this sir..

The tin is that I registered in a bootcamp, and they have a curriculum u must have heard about the bootcamp sir, it's the alx software engineering school.

So we started out with the use of editors like Emacs and Vim, then we moved to git (GitHub), we did Linux(the use of shell and she'll scripting, how to use the command line and all, then we moved to C-programming and now we re on python.
Later in the study we would still do html and CSS, JavaScript and some other stuff like that...

Lemme find the curriculum and upload for u to understand better what I am saying sir.

1 Share

Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by OlawaleBammie: 8:39am On Feb 18, 2023
cyberkitty:

I tot u responded to my last post sir, I didn't see anything
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 18, 2023
cyberkitty:

I agree with everything you said here o. A lot of investors don't care about you, they are just looking for a way to return profits to their VC firm & grow their career.

This your statement is hilarious 🀣" as a founder you get overwhelmed and give out shares for nothing if time is not taken you will become an employee in the company you created" but it's actually the TRUTH...if you're not careful, you can become an employee in the same company you created after taking too much investments. It's general info that fintech Startups receive the highest investments and can return a lot of 10000X to VC firm...that's why fintech ideas mist times are the most successful startup ideas.

Like you said, the best thing to do is to have LEVERAGE.

Have LEVERAGE before seeking investments. Build a product, make some profits and you won't have to be at the mercy of the Investors.

There is an article on techcabal about why you shouldn't lose your money as a startup founder

the case study is Fluidcoins

the title of the article is Where do existing investors stand in Fluidcoins fire sale?
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by digitalman: 5:05am On Feb 20, 2023
I have bee following your superlative discussions here and I must say you are all over-loaded with knowledge.
The discussion is quite interesting and educational. Many thanks
Re: So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria? by Bloomsbury(m): 7:54am On Feb 20, 2023
OlawaleBammie:
I tot u responded to my last post sir, I didn't see anything

Am glad to hear you enrolled in a bootcamp. I've heard a lot of my friends enrolling for ALX but truth be told, I have no idea what they do.

Looking at their program, it seems to look more than a coding bootcamp 😁.

It looks like a full computer science program in less than 4years 😁. The program looks intensive, I wonder how people can learn all those things in a short period of time.

Am curious to know, how are classes like. This courses will require someone to teach & mentor live students.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Android Code Competition For Nigerian Developers - The result is out / Solving Real Problems / Pattern Chaser In Javascript: Coding Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.