Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,188 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (34046 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / What's The Meaning Of ''Emi Nado'' & From Which Language? / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by MariaP: 12:16am On Sep 12, 2011
Hello All,

What is the name 'peace' called in the different Nigerian languages?

Yoruba
Igbo
Hausa
Efik
Edo
Itsekiri
e.t.c.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:45pm On Sep 13, 2011
Udo in Igbo.

19 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by bokohalal(m): 11:22pm On Sep 14, 2011
Edo.
Ofure-more like cool
Ofumwengbe -more like comfort
Orokho-more like painless
Hiere-more like quiet
Khuerhe khuerhe-could be peace

8 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by MariaP: 12:27am On Sep 22, 2011
any more?
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Bestglo(f): 5:16pm On Sep 27, 2011
peace = alafia

don't know whether this is yoruba or hausa though undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by Yornandrew: 1:33pm On Mar 15, 2013
Emem-Ibibio, Alafia-Yoruba, Khuerhe khuerhe-Edo,

I don't know the meaning in other Languages

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 1:55pm On Mar 15, 2013
Bestglo: peace = alafia

don't know whether this is yoruba or hausa though undecided

lol. it is yoruba but it means wellbeing.

peace - ire
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 6:33pm On Mar 15, 2013
Ire means blessing or honour.

I'm not sure there's any word meaning peace, in yoruba.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 6:33pm On Mar 15, 2013
Why was the op asking?
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 6:29am On Mar 16, 2013
tpia@:
Ire means blessing or honour.

I'm not sure there's any word meaning peace, in yoruba.

lol.

blessing = ibukun
honor = ayesi

peace = ire.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 12:36pm On Mar 16, 2013
^ actually, it seems the other two posters were right.

alaafia is considered the word for peace in yoruba, although i previously thought alaafia simply meant health or wellbeing.

even if you google it, alaafia is what comes up.

Ire means honor, blessing, success or prosperity (eg ireakari or orire).

and yes, ibukun also means blessing.

i also dont know if ire is used for peace in different parts of yorubaland.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 4:02pm On Mar 16, 2013
Actually, peace in yoruba is toro, or tooro

Different from toro which means to borrow or beg.

And toro which means penny

Not sure why it didnt come to mind before, maybe the word is no longer used as much.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 4:03pm On Mar 16, 2013
That being the case, then alaafia should primarily mean health, or well being.

Maybe in some areas, its meaning is peace.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 7:14pm On Mar 17, 2013
tpia@:
Actually, peace in yoruba is toro, or tooro

Different from toro which means to borrow or beg.

And toro which means penny

Not sure why it didnt come to mind before, maybe the word is no longer used as much.

toro/tooro - sustain/continuum
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 7:22pm On Mar 17, 2013
tpia@:
^ actually, it seems the other two posters were right.

alaafia is considered the word for peace in yoruba, although i previously thought alaafia simply meant health or wellbeing.

even if you google it, alaafia is what comes up.

Ire means honor, blessing, success or prosperity (eg ireakari or orire).

and yes, ibukun also means blessing.

i also dont know if ire is used for peace in different parts of yorubaland.

lol! thank you but google cannot teach me my tongue. yoruba has no function for health. we talk about balance....wellbeing!

alafia - wellbeing
ayesi - honor
ibukun - blessing
ere - success
ola - prosperity

ire - peace
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 7:26pm On Mar 17, 2013
tpia@:
That being the case, then alaafia should primarily mean health, or well being.

Maybe in some areas, its meaning is peace.

in western culture they focus on health and less on wellbeing.

in yoruba customs we strive for balance....the wellbeing of the individual.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 8:49pm On Mar 17, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

toro/tooro - sustain/continuum

toro means calm.

i double checked and it seems toro isnt generally substituted for peace because someone/somewhere can be calm without being peaceful.

alaafia, on the other hand, is more encompassing and has a wider, more thorough definition as peace.

this is what i learnt outside google.

on google, i found samuel johnson's definition which describes tooro as calm. However, this was when i did a check on tooro after i remembered the word.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 8:55pm On Mar 17, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

lol! thank you but google cannot teach me my tongue. yoruba has no function for health. we talk about balance....wellbeing!

i checked google to get more info, not that i found much.

one blog claimed farabale is peace [not exactly correct], since alaafia is a loan word from hausa or arabic.

alafia - wellbeing
ayesi - honor
ibukun - blessing
ere - success
ola - prosperity

ire - peace

alaafia -peace or well being. I learnt alaafia is definitively the word for peace, although i'm not familiar with it in that context.

ayesi -not familiar with this word. Honor is iyi or iyin [or praise]. Also juba [worship].

ibukun- blessing

ere- gain, profit or increase. Could also be success, i agree.

ire- success, honor, progress, prosper, etc.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 8:58pm On Mar 17, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

in western culture they focus on health and less on wellbeing.

true

in yoruba customs we strive for balance....the wellbeing of the individual.

to the best of our knowledge.

anyway, key word is strive, as you pointed out.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 4:32am On Mar 18, 2013
tpia@:

toro means calm.

i double checked and it seems toro isnt generally substituted for peace because someone/somewhere can be calm without being peaceful.

alaafia, on the other hand, is more encompassing and has a wider, more thorough definition as peace.

this is what i learnt outside google.

on google, i found samuel johnson's definition which describes tooro as calm. However, this was when i did a check on tooro after i remembered the word.

Using European language to equate meaning to Yoruba words will result in precisely the outcome you stated in the bold. We must not say because there is a word called health in English, then Yoruba must also have a word to match it. Our language is functional and with intimate values to them. European languages are generally conceptual and detached from the originality of mankind.

Iwa is part of wellbeing, omoluabi is part of wellbeing, kaaro o jire is part of wellbeing, ise logun ise is part of wellbeing,........ all these and many more like them are part of homeopathy and balance in mind, spirit and body. Yoruba sees the individual as an integral part of the cosmic force and when he/she is attuned in mind, in spirit and in body to the elements and nature then a state of balance is attained. This balance is his/her state of wellbeing. Alafia!
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 4:35am On Mar 18, 2013
tpia@:

i checked google to get more info, not that i found much.

one blog claimed farabale is peace [not exactly correct], since alaafia is a loan word from hausa or arabic.

alafia is an authentic and original yoruba word, it is not loaned from anywhere or anyone.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 10:58pm On Mar 18, 2013
^you could be right, its not certain the word is a loan one although it seems that way.

not sure, actually.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by tpia5: 11:00pm On Mar 18, 2013
Using European language to equate meaning to Yoruba words will result in precisely the outcome you stated in the bold.

i get your point, but you are referring to context, or a word's contextual meaning, as opposed to the factual one.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by YorubaOmoge: 11:01pm On Mar 18, 2013
Negro

Ire means blessing.

Alafia - wellbeing or peace (of mind/body)

ex: Ire oluwa- blessing of God

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 3:12am On Mar 19, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge: Negro

Ire means blessing.

Alafia - wellbeing or peace (of mind/body)

ex: Ire oluwa- blessing of God

is there a "blessing of devil"? perhaps there are people that pray for that, who knows....

what exactly is ire oluwa? that sound like a scripted prayer from one of these scam evangelists deceiving gullible people and sucking their pockets dry.

ire oluwa is a very poor example.

anyway,
blessing - ibukun
wellbeing - alafia

peace - ire
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by YorubaOmoge: 3:28am On Mar 19, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

is there a "blessing of devil"? perhaps there are people that pray for that, who knows....

what exactly is ire oluwa? that sound like a scripted prayer from one of these scam evangelists deceiving gullible people and sucking their pockets dry.

ire oluwa is a very poor example.

anyway,
blessing - ibukun
wellbeing - alafia

peace - ire

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by pazienza(m): 4:21am On Mar 19, 2013
Lol! All these arguement just because of peace. Maybe different yoruba tribes have different words for it,that could explain why you guys are findind it kinda hard to reach a consensus here.

In igbo,like nwa ide had written, peace is UDO. That's how names like UDOka- peace is greater, akuUDO- peaceful wealth came about.

4 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 5:06am On Mar 19, 2013
tpia@:
^you could be right, its not certain the word is a loan one although it seems that way.

not sure, actually.

i am right!

who loaned yoruba the following words?

1. alejo - sojourner
2. ale - night
3. ala - partition/separation
4. alusi - useless
5. alantakun - spider

these and many more like them beginning with the prefix "al".
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 5:08am On Mar 19, 2013
pazienza: Lol! All these arguement just because of peace. Maybe different yoruba tribes have different words for it,that could explain why you guys are findind it kinda hard to reach a consensus here.

In igbo,like nwa ide had written, peace is UDO. That's how names like UDOka- peace is greater, akuUDO- peaceful wealth came about.

lt seems to be argument but its not.....through this we can fill gaps and learn.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 5:12am On Mar 19, 2013
[quote author=Yoruba_Omoge][/quote]

lol.....you brought a whole book to prove it.

who is the author of this book and what page was that on?
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by YorubaOmoge: 5:26am On Mar 19, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

lol.....you brought a whole book to prove it.

who is the author of this book and what page was that on?

It's by a Yoruba (Kayode J. Fakinlede) author. The dictionary is used in most American universities.
Re: The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages by NegroNtns(m): 6:33am On Mar 19, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge:

It's by a Yoruba (Kayode J. Fakinlede) author. The dictionary is used in most American universities.

thank you. wink

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi In Brazil With His Wives (Photos) / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State / Oba Of Benin, Others Participate At Berlin Humboldt Forum Arts Exhibition In Ger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.