Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,950 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:45 AM

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones (12273 Views)

I Screenshot My NIN From The App On My Rooted Phone / Xiaomi Redmi 5 Unboxing Honest Review Pros And Cons Pics Included / Reloaded➀ Hack Any Andriod Game Rooted Or Non- rooted Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by xperty01: 10:11pm On Feb 27, 2023
Can someone help me post this on front page?
I bought this Motorola e5 supra from Lagos only for me to get home and discover the fone is locked to a particular network (cricket wireless) how do I unlock the fone so that I can use Nigerian sim on the fone?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by Offpoint1: 10:17pm On Feb 27, 2023
I don't use phone if I don't root it the first day of purchase...

I'm too criminally tech inclined to use unrooted phones or iPhone.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by malware: 10:24pm On Feb 27, 2023
tolumizzy:
It's prone to malware

Are you sure?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by fixit123: 10:41pm On Feb 27, 2023
I wouldn't advice you attempt just rooting particularly if you have no warranty on the device...

Unrooting may cause certain models to loose it's dual Sim ability if the rooting process was to achieve that..

There are certain things to confirm to know if unrooting it would be profitable, if the reason is netflix or some samsung app like the samsung pass, secure folder or apps that uses the Knox security, unrooting won't make it work because once Knox is tripped by rooting you cannot reverse that because it also has an hardware bearing....

For some the rooting may just be to unlock the device or it was used by a techie..

So it's best you make known the app there must be a walk around (It's android)

Also forget about OTA updates as samsung has stopped sending updates to the Galaxy note 9

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by xaggar(m): 10:42pm On Feb 27, 2023
Jacku:
One major con is: you can't update your phone else you risk bricking it.

Person say e nor understand rooting, you dey add bricking...

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by fixit123: 10:42pm On Feb 27, 2023
xperty01:
I bought this Motorola e5 supra from Lagos only for me to get home and discover the fone is locked to a particular network (cricket wireless) how do I unlock the fone so that I can use Nigerian sim on the fone?

We can get it unlocked for you....
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by fixit123: 10:44pm On Feb 27, 2023
You can screenshot to your software information and send so you can be guided, whether or not to unroot
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by Moscodee1990(m): 10:57pm On Feb 27, 2023
No security update on rooted devices
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by DMCA: 11:16pm On Feb 27, 2023
Haakeem:
I'll drop you d merit and disadvantage of a rooted phone for a token
nothing is free this days
Keep it to yourself
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by PAQ(m): 11:28pm On Feb 27, 2023
Rooting makes you a SuperUser and removes all restrictions and the inbuilt security Android provides, its like removing all the margins and lines of an exercise book leaving you with plain white paper for you to scribble as you wish.

It comes with advantages & disadvantages but if you are not tech savvy, developer or mobile security expert its best to avoid rooting. A small mistake will render a rooted phone useless because all protections & restrictions are off cos you now have access to system files which you may not understand.

ADVANTAGES:
1. Full customisation; from boot screen to custom recovery to a custom rom and total redesign of your homescreen. If you dont understand the terminology i used then avoid rooting until well read!
2. Downgrade/upgrade Android Os or installing custom roms that add more functions and or tweaks.
3. Rooting will allow you alter or remove restrictions on some apps and also install some outdated/banned/region blocked apps.
4. It allows you to modify or instal modified/tweaked kernels and governors.
5. You can undervolt or overclock the processor of the phone. I undervolt to save battery life, then change governors. This was one of my major reasons for rooting back in the day when phones came with small batteries. To be honest most people dont need all that power in our phones that causes over heating and battery drain.
6. With rooting you can improve camera quality by installing third party cameras, google camera, or modify init.d scripts.
7. It allows for changing of imei, which is illegal and can send you to jail in some countries.

There are many other things rooting allows, although these days some of these things can be done without rooting but there is always a catch, were as rooting gives total freedom.

DISADVANTAGES
Disadvantages mostly affect noobs, people who lack the understanding of rooting cos it is highly technical.
1. It exposes you to malware and cyber intrusions because you have lifted all android restrictions and compromised the security model of Android. Rooted phones will no longer install official updates and security patches to keep your phone safe & secured.
But if you are rooted with Magisk and understand how to modify boot.img then there is a way of installing OTA.... I hope i havent lost you here?
2.You can mistakenly delete or tamper with system files thereby turning your device into a brick.
3. Banking apps abroad check for rooting and will not work on rooted phones as a security measure to protect users. Something our banking apps dont do but should. For you banking apps to work you must do some added stuff called "magisk hide" which is not a πŸ’― guarantee.
4. You can mistakenly wipe you system/os if you dont know what you are doing. There is also a way to reinstall.... If you know what you are doing.
5. It voids some warranties & return policies in some countries.

The 2 major disadvantages are the banking apps & exposure to security risks. The rest comes from mistakes and not enough knowledge on rooting.

Rooting and being a SuperUser is what makes Android fun, its not for everyone. If you dont want you can always unroot the phone back to stock.

Hope my explanation was easy to understand.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by OloyeVIII: 11:46pm On Feb 27, 2023
kel2me:
What's the easiest way to unroot a Samsung phone? Note 9 to be precise.
Well you can't.. From s7, samsung made a fuse that blows up when u unlock the bootloader, that trips knox and secure folder. So you may try to, but honestly you can't unroot it..super user access may be denied and stuffs, but you can't go back to it's factory mode.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by todugo(m): 11:59pm On Feb 27, 2023
Advantage is that your phone ram will increase and you will be able handle apps that are not ment for the device. Rooted device can be used for hacking wifi and other devices with hacking apps.

A root device does not need google inputs for it runs apps. You an stay ananymous from Google.

Disavantages
Your rooted device will need a strong anti virus app cause without it, your device is open to the weakest malware or virus which will destroy your hardware components easily.

If your device is rooted your device can be easily hacked by a third party app or any hacker because by rooting it you have removed the manufacturer defensive systems.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by Stanley08(m): 1:00am On Feb 28, 2023
Lol. People still root phones? Wow! 😭

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by myhero: 1:26am On Feb 28, 2023
Jacku:
One major con is: you can't update your phone else you risk bricking it.

I disagree. Am using rooted Samsung s6 edge plus and I always update my phone whenever I receive update info
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 4:47am On Feb 28, 2023
Register on eBay, after registration, search for cricket unlocking services and you will see the one for Motorola and the cost.
You will see the requirements for unlocking, the problem is how you will pay the cost in dollars.
xperty01:

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by ekitimanalways(m): 5:02am On Feb 28, 2023
akpumping7720:
I don't really know much about rooted phones. I bought this phone from a nairalander and I discovered that it was rooted. I downloaded an app on it but the app refused to install because the phone has been rooted.
I will like to know the merits and the demerits of rooting an android phone. Thanks

MERITS
(1) Customize and take back control of your device
(2) You can remove anything you don’t need and free up memory for other files that you actually want.
(3) Rooting allows you to scrap those restrictions and download apps from any source.
(4) Rooting allows you to install custom Roms and alternative software kernels, so you can run an entirely new system without getting a new handset. Your device can actually be updated to the latest version of Android OS even if you own an older Android phone and the manufacturer no longer allows you to do so.
(5) After rooting your phone, however, you can back up the data of any app and upload it directly to another device.

DEMERITS
(1) Rooting can go wrong and turn your phone into a useless brick
(2) You will void your warranty.
(3) Your phone is more vulnerable to malware and hacking.
(4) Some rooting apps are malicious.
(5) You might lose access to high security apps.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by Okporiaku: 6:16am On Feb 28, 2023
tolumizzy:
It's prone to malware
I've been using rooted phone for years now and i can't remember getting any malware
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by Shawl001(m): 6:43am On Feb 28, 2023
How can you UNROOT by yourself?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by BOB72: 7:18am On Feb 28, 2023
Just download SuperSU app, you can use it to unroot your device.
Rooted devices are very vulnerable as their root files are opened and can be easily compromised

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by thepoweruser(m): 8:11am On Feb 28, 2023
Okporiaku:

If the version of the device is above 5.1 then using magisk and flashing your patched boot image is the best option
Uh... My Camon 17p has a locked bootloader so even if I could use Magisk I see no way how to do so.
There is only one recently developed Tecno phone that I know you can root, and I think it's the Pouvoir 4 Pro.
**PS: Mind you, I enabled developer options and turned on "OEM Unlock" and I did not get the Fastboot Menu.**
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by Okporiaku: 8:12am On Feb 28, 2023
thepoweruser:

Uh... My Camon 17p has a locked bootloader so even if I could use Magisk I see no way how to do so.
There is only one recently developed Tecno phone that I know you can root, and I think it's the Pouvoir 4 Pro.
**PS: Mind you, I enabled developer options and turned on "OEM Unlock" and I did not get the Fastboot Menu.**
If you are interested to root
Send me an email message
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by thepoweruser(m): 8:17am On Feb 28, 2023
Okporiaku:

If you are interested to root
Send me an email message
No, thanks. πŸ˜‚
I personally think rooting isn't worth the hassle.
Now the power user in me would have been outraged at such supposition but you've got to understand; they have made these things insanely hard to do and once it's done, ain't no goin' back, bruv.

Put it simply, if you wanna root a phone because you fear the I-spies πŸ‘€ and Goog-snitches 😹 out there, I'd advise you not to do it on your main device.
My two cents, tho. πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™‚οΈ

Modified: Believe me, it enrages me to think of how these manufacturers are trying to wrest control from the end user. This is why I don't fanboy for any brand on Nairaland - I trash all of them (and praise them too, when praise is deserved). Why, I hear someone asking.
Because they are all the same: They want to increase their profit margins as much as possible.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by thepoweruser(m): 8:28am On Feb 28, 2023
thepoweruser:

No, thanks. πŸ˜‚
Now the power user in me would have been outraged at such supposition but you've got to understand; they have made these things insanely hard to do and once it's done, ain't no goin' back, bruv.

Put it simply, if you wanna root a phone because you fear the I-spies πŸ‘€ and Goog-snitches 😹 out there, I'd advise you not to do it on your main device.

Modified: Believe me, it enrages me to think of how these manufacturers are trying to wrest control from the end user. This is why I don't fanboy for any brand on Nairaland - I trash all of them (and praise them too, when praise is deserved). Why, I hear someone asking.
Because they are all the same: They want to increase their profit margins as much as possible.

Hold on, fellas.
While I was typing this, I just had an idea attack.
What if the real reason these manufacturers have been squeezing customizability on our devices is because they want to mine every single last drop of data from the consumer??
That's something to think about, innit? 🧐

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by Okporiaku: 8:38am On Feb 28, 2023
thepoweruser:

No, thanks. πŸ˜‚

Yes especially apple phones
And Samsung phones following

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by thepoweruser(m): 8:43am On Feb 28, 2023
Okporiaku:

Yes especially apple phones
And Samsung phones following
All of 'em, bruvver. smiley

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by Okporiaku: 8:47am On Feb 28, 2023
thepoweruser:

All of 'em, bruvver. smiley
That is also one benefit or rooting
You can flash custom roms/kernel to eliminate their spying
That means you can have an infinix hardware but different software
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by GrandMufti: 8:54am On Feb 28, 2023
PAQ:
Rooting makes you a SuperUser and removes all restrictions and the inbuilt security Android provides, its like removing all the margins and lines of an exercise book leaving you with plain white paper for you to scribble as you wish.

It comes with advantages & disadvantages but if you are not tech savvy, developer or mobile security expert its best to avoid rooting. A small mistake will render a rooted phone useless because all protections & restrictions are off cos you now have access to system files which you may not understand.

ADVANTAGES:
1. Full customisation; from boot screen to custom recovery to a custom rom and total redesign of your homescreen. If you dont understand the terminology i used then avoid rooting until well read!
2. Downgrade/upgrade Android Os or installing custom roms that add more functions and or tweaks.
3. Rooting will allow you alter or remove restrictions on some apps and also install some outdated/banned/region blocked apps.
4. It allows you to modify or instal modified/tweaked kernels and governors.
5. You can undervolt or overclock the processor of the phone. I undervolt to save battery life, then change governors. This was one of my major reasons for rooting back in the day when phones came with small batteries. To be honest most people dont need all that power in our phones that causes over heating and battery drain.
6. With rooting you can improve camera quality by installing third party cameras, google camera, or modify init.d scripts.
7. It allows for changing of imei, which is illegal and can send you to jail in some countries.

There are many other things rooting allows, although these days some of these things can be done without rooting but there is always a catch, were as rooting gives total freedom.

DISADVANTAGES
Disadvantages mostly affect noobs, people who lack the understanding of rooting cos it is highly technical.
1. It exposes you to malware and cyber intrusions because you have lifted all android restrictions and compromised the security model of Android. Rooted phones will no longer install official updates and security patches to keep your phone safe & secured.
But if you are rooted with Magisk and understand how to modify boot.img then there is a way of installing OTA.... I hope i havent lost you here?
2.You can mistakenly delete or tamper with system files thereby turning your device into a brick.
3. Banking apps abroad check for rooting and will not work on rooted phones as a security measure to protect users. Something our banking apps dont do but should. For you banking apps to work you must do some added stuff called "magisk hide" which is not a πŸ’― guarantee.
4. You can mistakenly wipe you system/os if you dont know what you are doing. There is also a way to reinstall.... If you know what you are doing.
5. It voids some warranties & return policies in some countries.

The 2 major disadvantages are the banking apps & exposure to security risks. The rest comes from mistakes and not enough knowledge on rooting.

Rooting and being a SuperUser is what makes Android fun, its not for everyone. If you dont want you can always unroot the phone back to stock.

Hope my explanation was easy to understand.

Banking apps still work
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by GrandMufti: 8:56am On Feb 28, 2023
todugo:
Advantage is that your phone ram will increase and you will be able handle apps that are not ment for the device. Rooted device can be used for hacking wifi and other devices with hacking apps.

A root device does not need google inputs for it runs apps. You an stay ananymous from Google.

Disavantages
Your rooted device will need a strong anti virus app cause without it, your device is open to the weakest malware or virus which will destroy your hardware components easily.

If your device is rooted your device can be easily hacked by a third party app or any hacker because by rooting it you have removed the manufacturer defensive systems.

Whether rooted or not, your phone can still be hacked.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones by thepoweruser(m): 9:03am On Feb 28, 2023
GrandMufti:

Banking apps still work
I disagree. A lot of them don't.
Surely you have heard about SafetyNet Check, yes?
You can't spoof that SOB.

Oh, and baba GrandMufti, hee don teey oh... grin
I troway my 🧒 for you, sir. πŸ€œπŸΏπŸ€›πŸΏ

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Innjoo Note Specifications & Reviews / Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard / Steps To Activate MTN 1.5GB For N300 Valid For 7days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.