Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,550 members, 7,809,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? (25040 Views)

Is This Being Clingy? If Not, Tell Me What It Is. / Is It Polite To Ask For The Price Of A Gift Given To You? / How To Get Rid Of Soldier Ants Effectively (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by bro4u: 11:52am On Mar 06, 2023
CrudeSon:
You are so lucky you have someone who is clingy when most don't care
Forget it bruh,, e dey tire person

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 11:52am On Mar 06, 2023
nairalee:
sometimes in life just talking matters out helps

Sit her down, explain why her clingy attitude can be regarded as toxic and why its draining you
Make her see the up sides of being clingy and the down sides.
Make her understand that the downside outweigh the up side.
Let her understand that you value her friendship that's why you've not abruptly cut her off
Then let her know that cutting her off, though is your last resort, but remains an active option
Then advise her to reduce her clinginess so that you can both still maintain your friendship in pure happiness

You may get two reactions
1) She may totally withdraw from you (immature)
2) She may gradually withdraw (maturity)
However, don't be too hasty to experience this change from her. Remember habits take time to change.
I've done this more than twice. She's becoming annoying.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 06, 2023
shadrach77:

The truth is you'll never feel someone is clingy if you truly love them. If you feel she is clingy you need to ask yourself if you truly love her
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚You can't relate.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by nairalee(m): 11:56am On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
I've done this more than twice. She's becoming annoying.

I really dont want u to cut off from her.
If she's as mature as I assume, then I believe she'll adjust but it will take time

Do u guys stay close to each other or work together?
If there's reasonable distance from your daily routines then u can keep giving excuses to avoid meeting

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 06, 2023
cassidyjosh:
Well I am currently experiencing such too, and I was thinking of what to do but I discovered that all you need to do is be true to who you are, don't go out of your way to satisfy her because she is a woman and also dont take advantage of her because she is clingy because you will regret it. Just be yourself bro and once she sees that you are there because of your sincere heart she will respect you and your boundaries. Good luck bro
Thank you. I'm a girl.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by udemzyudex(m): 11:59am On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
Interesting. cheesy

Are you an introvert?
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by falcon01: 11:59am On Mar 06, 2023
CrudeSon:
I swear
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 06, 2023
nairalee:

I really dont want u to cut off from her.
If she's as mature as I assume, then I believe she'll adjust but it will take time

Do u guys stay close to each other or work together?
If there's reasonable distance from your daily routines then u can keep giving excuses to avoid meeting
We're both students, in the same level. We only meet in school. When we don't meet she blows my phone.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Bankyt90: 12:00pm On Mar 06, 2023
CrudeSon:

Bro a babe being clingy will bore you out

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 06, 2023
udemzyudex:

Are you an introvert?
Yes, I am.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by nairalee(m): 12:03pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
We're both students, in the same level. We only meet in school. When we don't meet she blows my phone.

oh that's tough lol. cos you're both condemned to be together at least in class.
Quick question. when u told her what was her verbal response?
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by udemzyudex(m): 12:05pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
Yes, I am.

That's why, this is how you can do it.
I believe she already knows the kind of person that you are,she just doesn't want to accept it.

You can spend little time with her then tell her you have other things you want to do.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Flamemignon1(m): 12:08pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
We've been friends since 2021. She acts clingy, I don't like it, but I've been enduring it so I won't hurt her feelings. I've told her more than twice, but she doesn't stop.
Sir her down and tell her your mind in a calm and polite way,tell her you love her as a friend but you sometimes need your "you" time.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 06, 2023
nairalee:

oh that's tough lol. cos you're both condemned to be together at least in class.
Quick question. when u told her what was her verbal response?
She said I am her favorite person and she hasn't had a friend like me because most of the friends she had used her to get things from her parents. She also said she'll try to change. But she didn't two days later she continued. I tried to act clingy too maybe she'll get tired and give me space, but it got worse.
I'm an introvert, I like my space.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by SmartyPants(m): 12:11pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
Blowing up my phone and expects me to be with her throughout the day whenever we meet in school.

For the phone one, I would advise you ignore her calls and messages from time to time but not always. Then once in a while when you pick or respond, after a while, tell her you need to go do something else.

When you see in school, just politely tell her you'll see her later and leave.

These are temporary tactics. The real way to get rid of her is help her meet new people. She is probably lonely.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 06, 2023
udemzyudex:

That's why, this is how you can do it.
I believe she already knows the kind of person that you are,she just doesn't want to accept it.

You can spend little time with her then tell her you have other things you want to do.
Okay. Thanks.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 06, 2023
Flamemignon1:

Sir her down and tell her your mind in a calm and polite way,tell her you love her as a friend but you sometimes need your "you" time.
I have. πŸ₯²
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Flamemignon1(m): 12:16pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
I have. πŸ₯²
If she's truly your friend,she will understand. Trust me,nobody wants a clingy "ship" either friendship, relationship or workship...... it's hell. If she doesn't, then tell her she gave you no choice but to dissolve the friendship
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 06, 2023
Flamemignon1:

If she's truly your friend,she will understand. Trust me,nobody wants a clingy "ship" either friendship, relationship or workship...... it's hell. If she doesn't, then tell her she gave you no choice but to dissolve the friendship
I agree with the bolded. Alright. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Flamemignon1(m): 12:20pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
I agree with the bolded. Alright. Thanks.
Welcome love

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by GistFullGround: 12:28pm On Mar 06, 2023
[b]"Much ado about nothing"

Why does it bother you, you little man of no swag!
Instead of allowing the flow of affection, you'd rather cause sadness towards her.

Did she tell you you are going to be her man forever? Even if you are not dating, why are you so mad? If she clings to you, all you have to do is to reciprocate and cling to her as a friend.

I remembered when a girl (just a friend) would cling unto me way back in ICE (Institute of Continuing Education) Benin in 1987; I still miss her till this day. Some of my friends would always say to me, "this girl like you die...". Oh, I forgot to add; "she was very very very beautiful" with a chocolate complexion, soft-spoken, always smiling and a well behaved.

We parted our different ways only to see her one day, walking along, I was so shocked and surprised to see her when she came for her Masters Degree in the University of Ibadan. We went down memory lane about our days in school. It's not every time, you have to think of getting to a lady's panties.

Now, I am in the US, I don't know where she is now but I pray to see her someday!

You have to be matured and diplomatic, don't be a SMALL MAN!

[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Pat081: 12:32pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
Wetin you wan use her number do?
He want to talking sense to her
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by sonofthunder: 12:37pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
We've been friends since 2021. She acts clingy, I don't like it, but I've been enduring it so I won't hurt her feelings. I've told her more than twice, but she doesn't stop.

What do you mean by Clingy?

Any examples?
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by nairalee(m): 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
She said I am her favorite person and she hasn't had a friend like me because most of the friends she had used her to get things from her parents. She also said she'll try to change. But she didn't two days later she continued. I tried to act clingy too maybe she'll get tired and give me space, but it got worse.
I'm an introvert, I like my space.

well, I give her an E for effort even though it lasted just 2 days.

I totally relate with what you're saying cause I've been in this boat before. back then I was so mad but thinking about it now I wonder why I even find it amusing now. that's why i dont want u to cut off from her completely.

but for the sake of your own sanity and to get your space u just have to gradually quench the clinginess in her.

after threatening her, I'm sure she'll promise to reduce. Make it a point of duty to always inform her when she's crossing the boundary. Gradually gradually she'll calm down. Like i told u before it ain't gonna be once. It will take your constant guidance and a gradual adaptation from her.

Put simply, you have two options
1) Cut off from her abruptly (effective but brutal)
2) Take her through the gradual process of healing (not instant but diplomatic)

I recommend the 2nd option. It's better to maintain friendships than burn bridges

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by remsonik(f): 12:43pm On Mar 06, 2023
I want such a friend, who truly loves me with clean and open minds. I once had such a friend, at a time she was very clingy when she visits and it's getting too late I will be the one to instruct her to go home cos her house is far from mine and she's a married woman. She needs to prepare dinner for her hubby.

Sometimes years later I stopped hearing from her, I will call her and she won't pick then I called her few days ago she picked and told me she's no longer in Lagos. I asked where she was and she said she can't tell me

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Spandau: 12:44pm On Mar 06, 2023
Candidlady:

irony of life
The future is an irony of lifeπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by dreynewton: 12:50pm On Mar 06, 2023

Adorn your wrist with the ultra 8 smartwatch.

Monitor your blood pressure , track your steps , answer calls in real time and read your messages.

Call or WhatsApp

Pay on delivery 🚚 Nationwide via courier service.

1 Share

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by iamsolasoul(f): 12:53pm On Mar 06, 2023
Ko clingy o better ju stingy
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Isabi4lov: 12:57pm On Mar 06, 2023
Maybe she's a lesbian
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by qtguru(m): 1:00pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:

Is she a good friend or just looking to gain something from you, some people have no one in their lives.................................................................or she could be a lesbian and into you (you never know)
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by ObeyPaul: 1:04pm On Mar 06, 2023
Tell her she has body odour and you're not comfortable with it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

* / Bus Crushes Man To Death In Lagos (pic) / Another Big Monitor Lizard Got Trapped In My Backyard (2.0)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.