Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,082 members, 7,807,236 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng (49636 Views)

Photos: Lagos State Government Website (lagosstate.gov.ng) Has Been Hacked / 509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded - Nscdc.gov.ng / We Present To You, The (voluntarily) Redesigned Nigeria.gov.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 4:35pm On Sep 15, 2011
Ymodulus:
This won't be ending any time soon. Good luck on your exams. Once you are done (and pass with flying colors of course. I will check your results cool), just jump in where you fit in.

Thanks for your interest.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by databoy247(m): 5:06pm On Sep 15, 2011
Pardon me, but i think we should really start delibrating on the domain name issue cos it will be ill-advised to pick another domain name. If we are to succeed at this then gaining access to the already existing cpanel should be a priority. So i think we should start searching for a suitable and acceptable platform where we can present the issue to the federal govt either through the ICT ministry or directly. And when i say platform, i mean like a movement or somthing like it. Just my thoughts sha.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Slyr0x: 5:41pm On Sep 15, 2011
databoy247:

Pardon me, but i think we should really start delibrating on the domain name issue cos it will be ill-advised to pick another domain name. If we are to succeed at this then gaining access to the already existing cpanel should be a priority. So i think we should start searching for a suitable and acceptable platform where we can present the issue to the federal govt either through the ICT ministry or directly. And when i say platform, i mean like a movement or somthing like it. Just my thoughts sha.

Don't put the cart before the horse. .smiley
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 5:43pm On Sep 15, 2011
Ymodulus:
No yawa, nothing spoil. Remember, this won't end in a week so once you are done with your exams, and you pass them with flying colors (I will demand a copy of your transcript cool), you can come in where you fit in at that point.

Good luck to you on your exams and thanks for showing interest.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by WeMaStEr(m): 6:10pm On Sep 15, 2011
just chkd now, the site is live http://nigeria.gov.ng

fix me up in security/hackprove
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 7:22pm On Sep 15, 2011
databoy247:
Slyrox speaketh well. Hear ye him, besides, I already addressed this on post #27
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by OmniPotens(m): 8:49pm On Sep 15, 2011
So far so good. We are getting more people in here. I am hoping that you all look to the start of all threads on this board for this thread as it's sticky.

My count down is yet up to 20. More people please.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Timileyin(m): 9:53pm On Sep 15, 2011
@yawa-ti-de i must be involved in this project, cause i was one of does that posted about it, Please no matter how small it is, i need to get a part oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Timileyin(m): 10:01pm On Sep 15, 2011
I must get a part ooo, if you dont want wahala, lolz, i prefer Web Application Architecture and work flow, if yu cant give me that let me work on css and HTML, am not a pro in PHP and know we should get someone better than me. AJAX too will not be a bad idea.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by OmniPotens(m): 10:16pm On Sep 15, 2011
@Timileyin
See list for your name inclusion.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Fayimora(m): 10:41pm On Sep 15, 2011
Too many programmers, cant see anyone saying anything about design! Anyways I can help co-ordinate the project! Am not your project manager so let me explain what i would do for y'all. There are 20 programmers/designers here. Each one of them would have their own views(code or way of implementing something). You don't want to ignore someone's ideas and thats where a VCS(Version Control System) comes in.

Am very sure most of you(no offence) code without keeping track of your features, code and the rest. You could read a summary of how that works out here. If you allow me to then I could teach yall how to use Git(with a few resources and create some sample projects) and Github aswel. Then it would be easier to work as a team!

Some of you might begin to wonder what you need a VCS for. . . wait until you understand it then you should ask yourself that question!

Raw link to mini-article --> https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=740771.msg8974894#msg8974894
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by databoy247(m): 11:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
Errmm, @secretary, i thought there will be a department for graphics? Am not the worst of talents in that area though. My thoughts.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by OmniPotens(m): 11:22pm On Sep 15, 2011
@Fayimora
I was only waiting to have the complete number before I talked about the GitHub but since you have said it all then I'll list you there.

@databoy247
Note taken as I will list you under the section. Thanks for being there.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by instinctg(m): 9:09am On Sep 16, 2011
@ Fayimora
I get your point. First things first before any of us should get our hands dirty with code , i think we should discuss about the features we want to put on the site. Been tempted to spy on other countries sites (eg US, UK, INDIA , JAPAN) but i wont for now.
Lets think of what we can portray about our country, things to pull both nigerians and non-nigerians frequently to this site.
Madam Yawa has a very good idea, but i swear she'd be surprised at the landing point this project would get to. That is, we have to consider show-casing our cultural heritage, our pre-colonial history, wars, oil and gas industry, tourism and not 4getting our grossly untapped ICT sector.
We' ll even need to involve non-developers to this. Seun has to put this on the homepage o.
So, before coding, lets put things down on paper first, lets look at how we can complement our skills and weaknesses to get best results. I know dhtml and dual-core are wonderful programmers (others too o!), but they'll always have different approaches to challenges that comes their way.
Frameworks? MVC? OOP? Procedural?
@ Yawa & Omni-Potens
Pls also be prepared to settle egoism. The "NA ME SABI PASS YOU SYNDROME" grin grin grin
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 10:34am On Sep 16, 2011
@instinct:
1) I think we should hold off on Seun "advertising". If you think we have many ideas now, with 15 or so ppl, think of how it will be with the thousands who will comment once it is opened up. After we are done, we can do that

2) Yep, "egoism" is a big concern to me, which is partially why I have asked for patience in planning. Make we handle this thing like suya. Abi, which suya wey no dey take time to prepare and cook? smiley

It is well
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by OmniPotens(m): 11:02am On Sep 16, 2011
@instinct:
The required number of people is yet complete. Until we are then we move on to the next stage.

Home page or no home page, we are on to something serious and so we need more of concentration to deliver than getting the best of attention and in the end, we don't deliver at all. If we over publicize this so much and don't end up with something at all or even better than the existing website then we would have gotten our names may be I will put it as "dirty and stained".

Egoism definitely is expected to arise so we need to be prepared to face it but with maturity in us, we are sure to get over it.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Slyr0x: 11:51am On Sep 16, 2011
instinctg:

Pls also be prepared to settle egoism. The "NA ME SABI PASS YOU SYNDROME" grin grin grin

Good point.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Fayimora(m): 12:06pm On Sep 16, 2011
instinctg:

@ Fayimora
I get your point. First things first before any of us should get our hands dirty with code , i think we should discuss about the features we want to put on the site. Been tempted to spy on other countries sites (eg US, UK, INDIA , JAPAN) but i wont for now.
Lets think of what we can portray about our country, things to pull both nigerians and non-nigerians frequently to this site.
Madam Yawa has a very good idea, but i swear she'd be surprised at the landing point this project would get to. That is, we have to consider show-casing our cultural heritage, our pre-colonial history, wars, oil and gas industry, tourism and not 4getting our grossly untapped ICT sector.
We' ll even need to involve non-developers to this. Seun has to put this on the homepage o.
So, before coding, lets put things down on paper first, lets look at how we can complement our skills and weaknesses to get best results. I know dhtml and dual-core are wonderful programmers (others too o!), but they'll always have different approaches to challenges that comes their way.
Frameworks? MVC? OOP? Procedural?
Never said anything about coding! What I wrote is even far from coding.

instinctg:

@ Yawa & Omni-Potens
Pls also be prepared to settle egoism. The "NA ME SABI PASS YOU SYNDROME"   grin grin grin
This is exactly what I was indirectly trying to say. Only a VCS can handle that! Everybody would make pull requests and THE TEAM would agree on which one to use!

OmniPotens:

@Fayimora
I was only waiting to have the complete number before I talked about the GitHub but since you have said it all then I'll list you there.
Given the fact that Git is only going to help solve problems like "My solution is the best" and also keep track of the code and features blah blah. .  I think you should tell every participant now so they know how to use it before time.

I still havent seen anyone talking about design!
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by OmniPotens(m): 12:18pm On Sep 16, 2011
Fayimora:

I still havent seen anyone talking about design!

Hoping we already have some of them on board or yet to come on board
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by worldbest(m): 3:30pm On Sep 16, 2011
Well, this is a great initiative. I am in if there is still room.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 4:26pm On Sep 16, 2011
worldbest:
Like Noah's Ark, there is room for anyone who wants to be on board cool
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by worldbest(m): 4:32pm On Sep 16, 2011
Alright. Les go theeeere!!
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by OmniPotens(m): 6:19pm On Sep 16, 2011
worldbest:

Alright. Les go theeeere!!

Pls you can state your expertise .
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by brinebaba(m): 8:15pm On Sep 16, 2011
You'll be needing a God-Father for a project like diz. . . Someone to make sure the 'high tables' get to see it !
I'm in for that slot.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 9:16pm On Sep 16, 2011
brine:
As long as they won't directly or influence what we are about to develop, that would be great.

Welcome aboard!
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by worldbest(m): 10:14pm On Sep 16, 2011
OmniPotens:

Pls you can state your expertise .

PHP/cakePHP & JS/JQuery.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by chillaz(f): 3:45am On Sep 17, 2011
Am in, C++ and CakePHP as well.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yamakuza: 8:50am On Sep 17, 2011
The Project Manager might want to outline ALL the roles required, and number of hands per role.

That way, we know which roles are yet to be filled and which are overstaffed.

#[s]Feature Requests and Usability Testing

a.k.a Soup Tasting: meat no do
[/s]
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 12:44pm On Sep 17, 2011
yamakuza:
This is a website redesign project. No "wow" factor. So I figured we can always do that after phase 1. As a result, the roles are the typical web development ones:
- Graphics designers
- web developers
- copywriters
- database administrators (this could be combined with web developers. We shall see)

I have been trying to avoid defining rolls until at least September 19 but since you and a few have asked, I will peel back the onion a little:
I am anticipating a situation where at least 3 developers works on a section (a section would be defined as a menu item, like "government" or "ministries". This hasn't been defined yet). Be that as it may, even if we have access, the aim is for all concerned to play a part so for instance, we could run it like a relay race where each person "runs 100m". Make sense?

Thanks for your interest. Hopefully, you will be on board as well.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by okadaman2: 3:24pm On Sep 17, 2011
If you people need Okada rider/transporter abeg add my name join am for the project embarassed
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yamakuza: 3:26pm On Sep 17, 2011
yawa-ti-de:

yamakuza:
This is a website redesign project. No "wow" factor. So I figured we can always do that after phase 1. As a result, the roles are the typical web development ones:
- Graphics designers
- web developers
- copywriters
- database administrators (this could be combined with web developers. We shall see)

I have been trying to avoid defining rolls until at least September 19 but since you and a few have asked, I will peel back the onion a little:
I am anticipating a situation where at least 3 developers works on a section (a section would be defined as a menu item, like "government" or "ministries". This hasn't been defined yet). Be that as it may, even if we have access, the aim is for all concerned to play a part so for instance, we could run it like a relay race where each person "runs 100m". Make sense?

Thanks for your interest. Hopefully, you will be on board as well.

Project Manager
#1: Yawa-ti-de

Secretary to Project Manager
#2: OmniPotens

Version Control Manager
#15: Fayimora

Front-end Coders
#3: Clementcro
#5: Sisqology
#14: Timileyin

Miscellaneous
#4: Tubiz
#7: Adewaleh
#16: Worldbest

Security Tester/Hacker Prove
#6: Slyr0x
#13: WeMaStEr

Backend Coders
#8: Farouqzaib
#9: Dual Core
#10: Instinctg
#12: Abidemi_A

Graphics
#11: Databoy247

Seems we are a bit short on

1. Graphics/Design
2. Copy (& Paste?) Writers

Initially thought you needed just 20. Now, I see you need AT LEAST 20 !

subscribing!
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by DonTonero: 3:31pm On Sep 17, 2011
lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Saad Abdulganiy Built A House In Ilorin (Photos) / Jack Dorsey Visits UNILAG (Photos) / Mark Zuckerberg And Wife, Priscilla Step Out With Their Baby Bump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.