Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu (29395 Views)

Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? / Man Who Attempted JAMB 8 Times, Graduates With 2nd Class Upper / Deaf Prosphen Okiemute Dumi Makes Second Class Upper In Law University Of Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Elsueno: 9:58pm On Mar 22, 2023
I am not looking down on any grade....But this kind of article is always written by 3rd class graduates who have low self esteem, These kind of people want to make it(material wealth) not to really enjoy live but instead to proof THEY ARE BETTER THAN THIER colleagues with higher grades..

To be honest, job in Nigeria is by connection, but having a good grade makes it much easier for ur connection... Business & entrepreneurship is also by connection or massaging ego of mentors....Just choose what u think is d best way for u to achieve Ur life goals.

But, if are a first class student or an exceptional smart chap, do not waste ur time here, get that scholarship & japa

9 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by t2luv1: 10:03pm On Mar 22, 2023
Karlifate:

πŸ’―
grin
Your comment reminds me of several vacancies I've seen in time past. cheesy

Some companies will be looking for a candidate and/or candidates with:
β€’ First Class grade
β€’ Less than 26/27 years old
β€’ 5 years experience
β€’ Professional Certification is an added advantage
β€’ Technical Skills is also another added advantage
Etc...

Damn! grin grin

All these for a fresh University Graduate, bastardized with both internal & external strikes cheesy, suffered various carryovers coupled with anxiety caused by impromptu lectures/tests... grin

Passing out from these hurdles, doesn't mean they can handle the practical aspects of their field cos they've been filled mainly with theories, theories and more theories. 🀦

The Nigerian Education system needs a complete overhaul. kiss

We can't keep repeating the same thing that doesn't work, and expect a fresh & fit outcome. πŸ‘Œ

Long overdue. In 1995 I couldn't get admission into any Polytechnic or Universities in Nigeria despite having a Grade 2 in WAEC. All because I didn't have a good grade in English. I graduated from the University of Michigan with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronics Engineering with a GPA of 3.35 and a Master degree in Information Technology. After having spent 10 years designing and programming ERP manufacturing with General Motors. Today I work for myself from the comfort of my own house in sunny South Florida writing and designing Cloud Based business applications for Fortune 100 companies. Not too bad for a guy born in IJebu Ode and attended Ebenezer Primary School Oke Ado Ibadan.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Karlifate: 10:11pm On Mar 22, 2023
t2luv1:

Long overdue. In 1995 I couldn't get admission into any Polytechnic or Universities in Nigeria despite having a Grade 2 in WAEC. All because I didn't have a good grade in English. I graduated from the University of Michigan with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronics Engineering with a GPA of 3.35 and a Master degree in Information Technology. After having spent 10 years designing and programming ERP manufacturing with General Motors. Today I work for myself from the comfort of my own house in sunny South Florida writing and designing Cloud Based business applications for Fortune 100 companies. Not too bad for a guy born in IJebu Ode and attended Ebenezer Primary School Oke Ado Ibadan.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Yoighaman(m): 10:21pm On Mar 22, 2023
chinchum:
2-2, 3rd class and pass like this sort of consoling that they do better than first class and 2-1. Statistics says otherwise.

While there are no absolutes, the average 1.1 and 2.1 graduates fare better than the rest of other grade graduates. It is only sensible that there will be fewer 1.1 and 2.1 graduates compared to other grades. Do not use outlier to judge, on the average a first class or second class upper graduate has demonstrated an attitude of hardwork and smart work, it is also not just the attitude, there is a form of aptitude displayed. There will be some few others in the 2.2 , 3rd class and pass cadre who may later experience a shift in attitude, and may also experience grace, they do not make the majority.

Well said. Kudos. On point.

3 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Yoighaman(m): 10:25pm On Mar 22, 2023
Skyview01:
Tony Elumelu came out with 3rd class.

Even if he did...and he stopped at that?

Go and read his academic profile, then come back here to post another comment.

In all your 'gettings', work hard to get a 1st or 2.1

6 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Yoighaman(m): 10:34pm On Mar 22, 2023
t2luv1:

kiss
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by ruzell86: 10:40pm On Mar 22, 2023
tommy589:
Op you are not getting it

You see ,when you realize you could be limited in life by your qualifications, you tend to outperform your limitations.
That's pure logic... the survival instinct.
You would evolve naturally, unless you care less about the status quo.

3 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Kibbs(m): 10:49pm On Mar 22, 2023
VBCampaign:

So, you get a graduate with a β€œ2-1” who knows practically nothing in his field of study. In the other realm, you have students with third class who are walking encyclopaedias of the course they read.

I agree with most of the things that was said here except for this. No third class is a freaking encyclopedia. That’s BS

3 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by JustforMen: 10:59pm On Mar 22, 2023
VBCampaign:

Source: https://textandpublishing.com/the-deception-of-second-class-uppers-in-nigerian-universities/

Oga, you be olodo dat time... just accept your lot in life and move on. 2.1 and first class arre not overrated!

4 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by bluefilm: 11:02pm On Mar 22, 2023
IamANigerianMan:
The point is your useless universities don't give the needed knowledge and your useless companies are looking for first class instead of competency, I can fu**ck lecturer and get first class without anything upstairs.

I think you are right.
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by africandollar: 11:05pm On Mar 22, 2023
KingofHearts:
I believe in quality education to the core. I also believe anyone aspiring to attend Nigerian university should just not bother and anyone in a Nigerian i University should just complete with whatever grade and resume immediately with NURTW.At least you’ll start wrestling N126Billion on the steady with purpose.

Bad as e bad N3M-N10M minimum
will drop for your side if you know what you are doing. Better than spreading copies of CV around for 5years.

Guy! I have a live example o! One of my former class mates na MC Oluomo right hand man now and dude's balling!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by tete7000(m): 11:50pm On Mar 22, 2023
VBCampaign:

Source: https://textandpublishing.com/the-deception-of-second-class-uppers-in-nigerian-universities/

To say 2.2 and third class rate higher than first class and 2.1 is absurdity, it is logic turn on its head. That you don't have a first class or 2.1 shouldn't be enough reason for your resentment. That said, no one says those with a 2.2 or third class are write off who can never do well in life.
If the first class and 2.1 are not as rated as you make it sound, the school abroad you wrote proudly about won't be offering scholarship to them, those schools won't need to demand for academic transcripts before admitting students from here. The chances are always higher that those with better grades here will still outperform those with lower grades when they meet in universities abroad.
Please don't pass this kind of information to your young children, it demotivates them and make them settle for little.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Beolly(m): 12:25am On Mar 23, 2023
BESTScientist1:
absolutely, because of what Nigeria put me through, sometime regarded as one of Nigeria's best. Today, when I employ people it's a level playing field for all and guess what many first class and second class upper don't scale through. Interestingly, if they do they must be given my own special assessment. Because many third class had clauses to that degree they're freaking brilliant set of people....away from that Iya to ma je Sanwo olu ati oju yobo n she press up. The atrocities committed by this fellows is unthinkable and you'll have your ears full soonest
So you are in support of Ipob apologist a Yoruba hater to become governor in Lagos State?

2 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by BabaRamota1980: 12:49am On Mar 23, 2023
LordIsaac:
What then is the point?

They are trying to spin Peter Obi's 3rd class grade in philosophy as a success. grin

3 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 23, 2023
chinchum:
2-2, 3rd class and pass like this sort of consoling that they do better than first class and 2-1. Statistics says otherwise.

While there are no absolutes, the average 1.1 and 2.1 graduates fare better than the rest of other grade graduates. It is only sensible that there will be fewer 1.1 and 2.1 graduates compared to other grades. Do not use outlier to judge, on the average a first class or second class upper graduate has demonstrated an attitude of hardwork and smart work, it is also not just the attitude, there is a form of aptitude displayed. There will be some few others in the 2.2 , 3rd class and pass cadre who may later experience a shift in attitude, and may also experience grace, they do not make the majority.

Thank you, you are apt... Stories like this is to discourage people from studying hard... Anything worth doing then do it well and be among the few who did it well... Let's stop celebrating mediocrity by selling the opinion that third class graduate fare better in real life... If you have chosen to go to school then do it well

2 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Kennybix(m): 2:35am On Mar 23, 2023
Angelfrost:
If we are being honest... Tertiary education is currently overrated in Nigeria and across the globe!

There are 18 to 21 year old Waec holders with more tech skills than Masters and PhD holders, and more attractive to proper employers too!

Matter of fact, every successful and balling virtual freelancer will tell you no foreign boss is interested in your education other than your ability to communicate with him effectively in good grammar and what skills relevant to his project you possess!

In case you don't yet know, let me tell you in no uncertain terms....

We are no longer in the age of academic qualifications! We are now in the age of Skill Acquisition!

A University degree is purely academic and serves only as a decoration for your brain and walls.

Nope, not true! The thing is that even in tech, there are different cadres. You need an entry level person to be trainable and smart enough to accomplish tasks. Way up the ladder, they require less technical skills to function well. They need to be visionaries and good decision makers.

It is a big fallacy comparing tech-savvy new senior secondary school leavers with people who have MSc or PhDs. Are those people with the advanced degrees in tech themselves? Do you expect someone with a PhD in social sciences to be able to code? Advanced degrees are to train the mind to be better at thinking, problem-solving and writing. It is not a decoration!

4 Likes

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by ChybuzzDD(m): 3:09am On Mar 23, 2023
BESTScientist1:
absolutely, because of what Nigeria put me through, sometime regarded as one of Nigeria's best. Today, when I employ people it's a level playing field for all and guess what many first class and second class upper don't scale through. Interestingly, if they do they must be given my own special assessment. Because many third class had clauses to that degree they're freaking brilliant set of people....away from that Iya to ma je Sanwo olu ati oju yobo n she press up. The atrocities committed by this fellows is unthinkable and you'll have your ears full soonest

I just couldn't make any sense out of what you've written here.
Are you a 3rd class graduate too

1 Like

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by HilcomTech(m): 3:24am On Mar 23, 2023
tyinfinity:
The dullard peter obi with a pass degree in philosophy is competing with a Chicago university graduate with first class honours in Accounting and finance

If Nigeria was working well, People like Peter Peter Obi would be taking notes from Tinubu

1 Like

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by juocin: 4:36am On Mar 23, 2023

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Pointnoire(m): 4:42am On Mar 23, 2023
ABU Zaria is overated and most of the departments set you up for failure most of the lecturers are there courtesy of brain drain

1 Like

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by ShaqFu: 8:05am On Mar 23, 2023
Ishilove and GloriousGbola. I'll love to read your thoughts about this, please. πŸ™
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by GloriousGbola: 8:20am On Mar 23, 2023
ShaqFu:
Ishilove and GloriousGbola. I'll love to read your thoughts about this, please. πŸ™

the man is right and he is wrong.

it is very true that the average public university does not give you skills for entry level employment
it is also true that the average public school university lecturer is a tin God ho thinks failing students is a badge of honor

but there is also a SCARCITY of jobs in the country, so when 5000 people are applying for a job, the fastest way to trim the herd is to ask for a 2'1
the jobs being recruited for are not rocket science - so no HR dept has the time or energy to start engaging in a rigorous selction process

i have classmates from the entire spectrum 2.1, 2.2, 3rd that are doing well. i also have classmates from the entire spectrum that are struggling

the claim however that people with 2.1s do not become employers of labour s complete BS. a lot of people with 2.1s work in paid employment in industries, build contacts/network and then branch out for themselves

anyway my summary is this

a 2.1 is great for when you are starting your career. it will open doors for almost any job application. however if you are unable to use it to get a good job within 3-4 years post graduation, its value has dropped. a 2.2 or 3rd will make your immediate post graduation job search much harder, especially if you are looking fir a soft life job. you may have to settle for a harder , lower paying job first while you build up experience

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Mhanie(m): 9:20am On Mar 23, 2023
what can i say about this degree stuff the only thing i talk be say na only God if help person make use of the degree for me ooooo na God i dey look up to cus third class i carry comot for uni
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Dancebreaker: 9:49am On Mar 23, 2023
Bashet:
I don't believe it's overrated. In fact, I rate good grades (First class, 2nd class upper) from Nigeria top universities and even second class lower but if it's second class lower, it has to be good courses. Also, I rate Nigerian top universities than degrees got from outside of the country. I mean top Nigerian universities, not those universities that admit without passing your Jamb. I even think passing one's jamb should be a requirement for job occupation. I say this because some universities in Nigeria admit students regardless of their jamb marks.

Back to why I rate Nigeria's top universities over schooling in abroad.

There was my uncle's son who always failed his jamb until he had to send him to study engineering at a university in abroad to avoid embarrassment. That being said, if the said child graduate as one of the best graduating students from a school in abroad, of course I will rate him because he or she is among the top cream.
Dude, not top foreign universities. Top foreign universities in the West attract the best students from across the world. What chance do you have to test yourself against students on national scholarship from Japan, South Korea, Brazil, USA, Canada, India, Russia, South Africa, NZ and so on at UI, Uniben, Unilag, OAU, ABU, UNN?
In top 30 UK and US universities you do.

How many profs shaping body of knowledge and discovery get to teach in Nigerian top unis compared to top Western unis?
How many Nobel Prize winners do you get to see in your lecture theatre or tutorial in 9ja top unis?

Oh boy, say what you know well enough and leave the rest. Don't generalise, biko.
If you say most 9ja people going to study abroad do not attend top foreign universities, I will agree.

Even at that there are certain attitudes and behaviours you acquire abroad. The realisation that it is about acquiring the knowledge and skills to perform in real life. Not just cramming to get a grade.
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Bashet: 9:52am On Mar 23, 2023
Dancebreaker:

Dude, not top foreign universities. Top foreign universities in the West attract the best students from across the world. What chance do you have to test yourself against students on national scholarship from Japan, South Korea, Brazil, USA, Canada, India, Russia, South Africa, NZ and so on at UI, Uniben, Unilag, OAU, ABU, UNN?
In top 30 UK and US universities you do.

How many profs shaping body of knowledge and discovery get to teach in Nigerian top unis compared to top Western unis?
How many Nobel Prize winners do you get to see in your lecture theatre or tutorial in 9ja top unis?

Oh boy, say what you know well enough and leave the rest. Don't generalise, biko.

My cousin got admitted into one of the best universities in USA to study engineering. Someone who couldn't pass his jamb here in Nigeria.

Did you even realise that Nigeria doctors from top Nigeria schools can compete well against UK and USA doctors? That's why there's massive brain drain from Nigeria by the Americans and Europeans.
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Dancebreaker: 10:00am On Mar 23, 2023
Bashet:

My cousin got admitted into one of the best universities in USA to study engineering. Someone who couldn't pass his jamb here in Nigeria.

Did you even realise that Nigeria doctors from top Nigeria schools can compete well against UK and USA doctors? That's why there's massive brain drain from Nigeria
How did he then get into the university? Grades for admission to top unis are quite clear, no long leg. Top unis abroad for some course also require additional exams.

By top uni what is its world ranking and US ranking? People always cite how a less smart person was admitted into a top school abroad. Which school?

If you tell me that some people with poor attitude, poor circumstances or inadequate support in 9ja didn't do well in 9ja studies but excelled abroad, I will understand.

Passing medicine and dentistry exams anywhere in the world is evidence that you are a top talent, so remove Medicine, Vet and Dentistry from it. Even Law, some science courses and Engineering in some 9ja unis. If you select the best in any environment, they won't represent the general population.

By the way, I am telling what I have seen. That question you asked I could easily have answered over 25 years already from seeing it.
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Bashet: 10:04am On Mar 23, 2023
Dancebreaker:

How did he then get into the university? Grades for admission to top unis are quite clear, no long leg. Top unis abroad for some course also require additional exams.
By top uni what is its world ranking and US ranking?

Passing medicine and dentistry exams anywhere in the world is evidence that you are a top talent, so remove Medicine, Vet and Dentistry from it. Even Law, some science courses and Engineering in some 9ja unis. If you select the best in any environment, they won't represent the general population.

By the way, I am telling what I have seen. That question you asked I could easily have answered over 25 years already from seeing it.

Well, I don't know quite much. I didn't ask much on it. He could have probably started at the basic. But generally speaking, schooling in abroad is much easier. A student who's doing quite well in a Nigeria university will do far better in abroad.
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Dancebreaker: 10:09am On Mar 23, 2023
Bashet:

Well, I don't know quite much. He could have probably started at the basic before processing further. But generally, schooling in abroad is much easier. Do a student who's doing quite well in a Nigeria university will do far better in abroad.
It depends on circumstances. Economic support, personal attitude, ability, etc.

When people go abroad, most come to realise that they need to do well. It focuses their mind. In 9ja, without mentioning tribe, you see how well traders of a certain tribe do outside their region. It's got to do with being more serious and hustling more tenaciously once you migrate from the "comfort" of your home. Mostly anyway.

What you consider top uni abroad may not even be in top 50 in that country but still rated hundreds of places above any 9ia university because the research impact of our universities have greatly declined since the 1970s/80s.

1 Like

Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Bashet: 10:12am On Mar 23, 2023
Dancebreaker:

It depends on circumstances. Economic support, personal attitude, ability, etc.

When people go abroad, most come to realise that they need to do well. It focuses their mind. In 9ja, without mentioning tribe, you see how well traders of a certain tribe do outside their region. It's got to do with being more serious and hustling more tenaciously once you migrate from the "comfort" of your home. Mostly anyway.

Schooling in abroad is much easier than the rigour & stress of Nigeria universities. Just like I stated earlier, a student who's doing quite well in a Nigeria university will even do much better in abroad. This is something I have seen. Not once but several times.
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by Carlylepneuma: 10:54am On Mar 23, 2023
VBCampaign:

my question to u is wt is d way forward, is there a way we change d mind set of Nigerians/ as well as Nigerian Universities over grades & understanding one's field of study...
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by edoairways: 2:06pm On Mar 23, 2023
exynos:

This isn't true, you know it
He said some not all
Re: Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu by edoairways: 2:12pm On Mar 23, 2023
Kenmatt:
I stopped reading when I deduced your theme.

Most of your points are not cogent reasons to castigate 2.1 and esteem 2.2

Again, what is the name of the Foreign University you did the after the graduate study and in which Country.

Let's just verify something.
If you read what he posted, you would understand that he was referring to our educational system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti On Fire / Dress Code: UNILORIN Bans Hair Attachment, Sagging, Tight Trousers, Skimpy Dress / Nurudeen Abubakar Adam, Nurse Representing Nigeria At Pre-world Health Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.