Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,447 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! (24233 Views)

Come In And Pick Any Of Our Designs For Your Next Building Project / Let's Design Your Next Building / Detailed Description Of The Contents Of Boq/building Cost Estimate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by Temidayo9(m): 8:29pm On Mar 21, 2023
DaniellaDokubo:
Over time I came to realize these are some of the way to reduce or manage building cost. See them stated briefly below.

Please feel free to critic or contribute.

1. Purchase most of your building materials upfront if possible. Especially the ones that can not be stolen easily.
2. Prefer minimalistic designs. But wider exterior with lots of greenery. You will thank me forever on this...haha
3. Avoid unnecessary shoot outs, corners etc. Yes it adds to its modern look but has no added functional purpose.
4. Compromise on materials that are easily replaceable ...lol. This is a hard swallow but I said what I said. Things like wall and floor tiles, paint quality etc. But never on manpower or structural items like columns, beams, cement mix, building level, wood for roof etc.
5. During design stage group toilets and other utilities close to each and let them share the same wall. This will reduce the number of pipes flying everywhere. It has post construction benefits for maintenance reasons too.
6. If possible, allow for cross ventilated spaces and wider or multiple windows or entrance. it permits smaller spaces to be comfortable or habitable especially meeting the cooling load.
7. By extension of No. 6 use bright coloured paint coatings to reduce heat adsorption on the exterior as it also gives an impression of space.

Bonus Point
8. If your land size is wide and erosion is not an issue, use carpet grasses and some horticultural plants to cover the open spaces rather than flooring entirely.

Namaste...
👌These worth more than Million gift.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by Blessings98(f): 8:40pm On Mar 21, 2023
Nice thread
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by Mrshocker(m): 8:42pm On Mar 21, 2023
DaniellaDokubo:
Over time I came to realize these are some of the way to reduce or manage building cost. See them stated briefly below.

1. Purchase most of your building materials upfront if possible. Especially the ones that can not be stolen easily.
2. Prefer minimalistic designs. But wider exterior with lots of greenery. You will thank me forever on this...haha
3. Avoid unnecessary shoot outs, corners etc. Yes it adds to its modern look but has no added functional purpose.
4. Compromise on materials that are easily replaceable ...lol. This is a hard swallow but I said what I said. Things like wall and floor tiles, paint quality etc. But never on manpower or structural items like columns, beams, cement mix, building level, wood for roof etc.
5. During design stage group toilets and other utilities close to each and let them share the same wall. This will reduce the number of pipes flying everywhere. It has post construction benefits for maintenance reasons too.
6. If possible, allow for cross ventilated spaces and wider or multiple windows or entrance. it permits smaller spaces to be comfortable or habitable especially meeting the cooling load.
7. By extension of No. 6 use bright coloured paint coatings to reduce heat adsorption on the exterior as it also gives an impression of space.

Bonus Point
8. If your land size is wide and erosion is not an issue, use carpet grasses and some horticultural plants to cover the open spaces rather than flooring entirely.

Namaste...
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by seborrhic: 9:29pm On Mar 21, 2023
DaniellaDokubo:

Bonus Point

Namaste...
Not 1,not one practical idea in this write-up.
Just a essay on theoretical,impractical,if not outrightly pedestrian ideas on how to reduce cost
I could dissect and throw out each one of them,but will just prolong this post.
But for 1 for eg,so you buy cement and keep fearing that the price will go up in future?
8,you use carpet grasses and horticultural plants.So these things maintain themselves,they don't need maintenance?
Let me just stop here before I lose my temper again after that lost during the elections.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by JeffreyJunior: 10:03pm On Mar 21, 2023
I learnt something last week and I will share that knowledge.

There is this house I'm building for an aunty. I sent 3million expecting that before they would request more money, I would see tangible progress at least.

Alas, they requested more money last week with pictures of work so far. I was really not impressed with the progress so I reached out to someone who I met by chance in January and asked his professional opinion.

His advice is this; whenever you're building a house, ignore "sockerpit" and concentrate on the house as long as there is enough space in the site to accommodate the "sockerpit" later. He said that out of the 3milion I sent before, the contractor could have used more than half of it to build the sockerpit.

When I checked the pictures and vouchers they sent me before requesting more money, lo and behold, sockerpit gulped about 1.6million. I've learnt that lesson and thanks to this my "friend".

8 Likes

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by naturalwaves: 10:11pm On Mar 21, 2023
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by professore(m): 10:19pm On Mar 21, 2023
DaniellaDokubo:

Bonus Point

Namaste...
not bad
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by clems88(m): 10:32pm On Mar 21, 2023
Seequadry:
How about u get someone to mould your blocks for you while you gather up money for other things instead of buying ready made directly... Was able to cut some cost with this tactic

300k for 1000 blocks (ready made)

223k for 1075 blocks (Hand made)

Diff of 77k

Block is solid and of better quality also

block so expensive. Where I am you have no choice than to buy block. When I started my building I bought block 270 but now it's 400 while some places 450. undecided things have really gone up

3 Likes

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 10:53pm On Mar 21, 2023
To build now is not an easy task on a Client but with a good professional Architect, you are staying on a good course for a better efficiency and cost reductions....

We are here to serve you all......check on my signature for more details ....
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 10:55pm On Mar 21, 2023
clems88:
block so expensive. Where I am you have no choice than to buy block. When I started my building I bought block 270 but now it's 400 while some places 450. undecided things have really gone up

@ 400-#450 is really on the high side except machine vibrated sandcrete blocks , if hand moulders, the is on the high side.....atleast it should be between #350-380

1 Like

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by Ejyksneh(m): 11:04pm On Mar 21, 2023
Ewu
InvertedHammer:
/

Don't use rods so that when the building falls, your loss will be minimal. Heck! Use a mixture of 100 headpans of sand: 100 headpans of stone and 1/2 bag of cement for concrete mixture ratio. Wanna save more money?

/
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by okoloto: 11:11pm On Mar 21, 2023
Na contractors dey make building very expensive. If you can build yourself hiring workers directly, you will be surprise the amount of money that you will save.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by IME1: 11:14pm On Mar 21, 2023
Softmirror:

BRILLIANT!

Truly it is
Op you did a nice job in your write up
This topic is beautiful and on point

Please receive your flowers and applauds

2 Likes

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by chatinent: 12:03am On Mar 22, 2023
I personally feel parapet is a waste of money. Shit is very expensive.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by jimmynauty: 12:25am On Mar 22, 2023
DaniellaDokubo:

Bonus Point

Namaste...

Thank you
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by AskProf: 12:54am On Mar 22, 2023
Devotional1:
That's for people who have the money to build, some people just need money to survive one day

Fraudster ANTHONY M OKEKE.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by visaclick: 1:57am On Mar 22, 2023
Devotional1:
That's for people who have the money to build, some people just need money to survive one day
as survival continues one must build for future survival also.

1 Like

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by armyofone(m): 5:24am On Mar 22, 2023
okoloto:
Na contractors dey make building very expensive. If you can build yourself hiring workers directly, you will be surprise the amount of money that you will save.

Is it possible to do it yourself ?

1 Like

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by arizonalusa: 6:01am On Mar 22, 2023
Agbadocassava:
Will 20 millions be enough to build a 3 bedrooms flat?
yes it will... I am into building design, construction and supervision, You chat me up on WhatsApp for more details 08061384082
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by Kendo93: 6:30am On Mar 22, 2023
Agbadocassava:
Yes My Roya highness grin grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by sleekjosh(m): 6:47am On Mar 22, 2023
Seequadry:
How about u get someone to mould your blocks for you while you gather up money for other things instead of buying ready made directly... Was able to cut some cost with this tactic

300k for 1000 blocks (ready made)

223k for 1075 blocks (Hand made)

Diff of 77k

Block is solid and of better quality also

please how many per bag
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by Seequadry(m): 7:43am On Mar 22, 2023
sleekjosh:
please how many per bag

The guy said 45/bag

But I told him to do 43 instead
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by QuinModah(f): 7:46am On Mar 22, 2023
clems88:
it will further go up interest rate is 18%
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by QuinModah(f): 7:47am On Mar 22, 2023
Agbadocassava:
more than enough if you want a simple house, but if you want a house with many styles, quality finishing, yes 20m will be more than enough

1 Like

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by Seequadry(m): 7:51am On Mar 22, 2023
clems88:

Same here, I bought at 280 also last year towards October.. Even cement then was at 4200

Cement now 4900
Block btwn 350 and 370
I higher a moulder
Supply them all the necessary materials (sand, cement, water)
They usually charged per cement bags

1 Like

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by EngrKemp: 7:53am On Mar 22, 2023
Good points
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by EngrKemp: 7:56am On Mar 22, 2023
Good points ..
Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by Quebec91(m): 8:48am On Mar 22, 2023
cheesy
Devotional1:

1 Like

Re: 7 Proven And Easy Ways To Reduce Your Next Building Cost! by Temmzz(m): 12:15pm On Mar 22, 2023
Thanks. You've raised great and highly useful points. I've been thinking about using mud/clay instead of the conventional 9 & 11 inches block. There's a friend's place I visited recently and I figured how cool his room is. He told me later on that the entire building is built with red mud/clay.

I'm unsure if this brick/clay is accessible in large quantities today. But I'll definitely make research and inquiries when the need for it arises.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Different Types Of Apartments In Nigeria | Co-tenant / President Buhari reacts to school building collapse in Lagos Island / Heat And Mosquitoes: Inside Lagos Neighbourhood Where Residents Hardly Sleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.