Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,171 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

The Views Of Most Russians Outside Russia About The War. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Views Of Most Russians Outside Russia About The War. (121 Views)

Aerial Views Of Apo-karshi Road (video/pix) / Best Site To Buy Youtube Views / Nigerian Girls Be Scouting For Free Food While Israeli Girls Are In The War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Views Of Most Russians Outside Russia About The War. by Awesometouch1: 1:53pm On Mar 14, 2023
While I currently live in UK, I believe that I am in a much better position to answer this question than most of my compatriots.
In Estonia I originally come from one of the least integrated Russian speaking families and so I regularly come into contact with the most pro Russian people in the country. And while usually I am the only one arguing against them at the table, right now literally no one supports Russia or even tries to defend them. The most pro Russian position you will hear, is that the conflict needs to stop as soon as possible. For many of my own relatives this conflict served as an eye opening moment, that made them stop looking at Russian realities through their rose tinted glasses.

There used to be a real generational divide in opinions between those who were born in the USSR and those who were born after but now it is all gone. Another group that is slowly but surely changing their opinion are those who no longer have access to the Russian television as their primary news source. Even the last bastion of Russian propaganda, the orthodox church of Estonia condemned the conflict which helped sway the opinion of the most conservative/reactionary people.

Now to why I believe that I am in a much better position to answer. Currently the plurality of my social circle is represented by ethnically Russian Latvians and Lithuanians. Among them I find a much larger degree of difference in their opinions when compared to Estonians.

In the first few days of the invasion you could see a real split in opinion that allowed to divide people in 3 groups based on their thinking. Pro Ukrainian side, Pro Russian side and anti politics side (or not my problem side). Surprisingly you could guess a lot about the person based on their position. The biggest difference was what came first: your ethnicity or your nationality?
Almost all people who support Ukrainian side think of themselves as russian speaking but first and foremost citizens of their respective country (Latvians, lithuanians and Estonians). Those who supported Russia tended to hold a mirroring position. Those who said: ‘don’t raise your head or you get in trouble’, are usually the most Russian of them all.
Also according to most of my mates, people from their parents generation still hold a much more pro Russian position than those in Estonia, and it causes a lot of conflict inside their families. Surprisingly it looks like comparatively, in Estonia older ethnic Russians are much more integrated into social and political life than in our southern neighbours.

But the previously mentioned split is changing and right now most people are against the war. Interestingly the biggest factor seems to be the refugees. Among the ethnically Russian people there are much more negative opinions about the refugees whom they see as freeloaders and bane of their future existence. This forces them to look at Russia as a reason for why they have to deal with them and stop their support of the conflict.

All in all most of us are pro Ukraine and/or against the conflict, so please don’t name us the 5th column or lump us together with the invading muppets of Putin.
Re: The Views Of Most Russians Outside Russia About The War. by Awesometouch1: 1:55pm On Mar 14, 2023
It's only in Nigeria you'll find imbecilic morons that know nothing about Russia supporting Putin.

What a generation of uncivilized and barbaric Orcs live in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Home Window Tinting: An Effective Way To Enhance Your Privacy And Energy Efficie / Get The Best Fitness With Strong Over / About Tody Travels And Tours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.