Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun (31054 Views)

Meet Wole Olanipekun; Tinubu's Lead Counsel At The Presidential Tribunal / E-Results Transmission: Why Senate Can’t Subject INEC Power To NCC - Tambuwal / Supreme Court Judgement that Upheld INEC Power to Declare Election Inconclusive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Racoon(m): 3:06pm On Mar 14, 2023
Former President of the Nigeria Bar Association, Chief Wole Olanipekun SAN, has criticised Section 65 of the Electoral Act 2022 on Wednesday, which empowered the returning officer of the Independent National Electoral Commission to return a candidate and also review his decision.

Olanipekun, who said that the act is dangerous to the polity and democracy, said[b] “the returning officer is not a court of law, not a tribunal, and is not vested with jurisdiction to exercise quasi-decision or to assume jurisdiction over any matter that is judicial in nature.”[/b]

Section 65(1) of the Electoral Act states, “The decision of the returning officer shall be final on any question arising from or relating to (a) unmarked ballot paper; (b) rejected ballot paper; and (c) the declaration of scores of candidates and the return of a candidate:

Provided that the commission shall have the power within seven days to review the declaration and return where the commission determines that the said declaration and return was not made voluntarily or was made contrary to the provisions of the law, regulations, guidelines, and manual for the election.”

However, the legal luminary, who spoke in a chat with journalists in Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital, after a visit to Governor Biodun Oyebanji, said, “The Chief Returning Officer is the Chairman of INEC, meaning he can return someone as President today and tomorrow when there are agitations here and there, he may withdraw his decision, saying, ‘I am revising myself, and I am now returning somebody else’.

“To me, it is a very dangerous section, so novel in the sense that it empowers a returning officer after returning to review his decision within seven days.”

According to him, with that section of the Electoral Act, “You are giving a returning officer and, by extension, INEC, the power to do and undo. When you now invest in an INEC returning officer, the ability to do and undo, to return and review his decision, is dangerous to the polity.”

Olanipekun, who said he was not aware of any similar section in any previous Electoral Act or any similar section in any of the electoral acts of any country in the world, expressed surprise that the National Assembly allowed that section to creep into the Electoral Act, which they submitted to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), for signing.

The legal luminary, who said the National Assembly could still remove the provision, called on all stakeholders, particularly the political parties, to monitor INEC and the returning officers so that nothing untoward happens to any party or candidate returning to be revised.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/inecs-power-to-return-candidate-dangerous-ex-nba-boss/%3famp

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by CallmeTrinity: 3:08pm On Mar 14, 2023
Are they afraid Tinubu is about to be returned to the retirement home and the decision of the last election recinded ?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

This tribe is so funny ehn 🤣🤣🤣

153 Likes 14 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by KKLord3(m): 3:09pm On Mar 14, 2023
Hmm
Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Racoon(m): 3:09pm On Mar 14, 2023
You did wuruwuru. INEC legalised it. Yet you are still afraid. You said aggrieved person should go to court. They did! Yet you were calling for peace and understanding for an election you claimed you won.

Well, the 7 days period for INEC to reverse its illegality is passed. Then watch God do His own in this country. He is a God of justice.

88 Likes 8 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Racoon(m): 3:10pm On Mar 14, 2023
“The Chief Returning Officer is the Chairman of INEC, meaning he can return someone as President today and tomorrow when there are agitations here and there, he may withdraw his decision, saying, ‘I am revising myself, and I am now returning somebody else’.

According to him, with that section of the Electoral Act, “You are giving a returning officer and, by extension, INEC, the power to do and undo. When you now invest in an INEC returning officer, the ability to do and undo, to return and review his decision, is dangerous to the polity.”

5 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by ronalmagic10(m): 3:16pm On Mar 14, 2023
B
Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by TheGiftedOne(m): 3:19pm On Mar 14, 2023
It is called Autonomy.
Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by haffaze777(m): 3:23pm On Mar 14, 2023
Wole olanipekun baba baba won

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Legitisreal: 3:27pm On Mar 14, 2023
To me, it is a very dangerous section, so novel in the sense that it empowers a returning officer after returning to review his decision within seven days.”

The seven days for that don pass na

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by festacman(m): 3:28pm On Mar 14, 2023
This dude Chief Wole Olanipekun SAN is very dangerous when it comes to legal technicalities. grin

If you have a tight case, which you need to escape from, hire him and give him 3days and 3 nights to make necessary studies. After that, if he assures you you have a case, just go and sleep and watch him do his thing.

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Fintiri: 3:29pm On Mar 14, 2023
haffaze777:
Wole olanipekun baba baba won

You are afraid to stand on ya shaky shaky mandate?

36 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Dentidon: 3:31pm On Mar 14, 2023
Racoon:
You did wuruwuru. INEC legalised it Yet you are still afraid. You said aggrieved person should go to court. They did! Yet you were calling for peace and understanding for an election you claimed you won.

Which wurururu? Dey use your brain small!

How did Obi who came third win the election? You dey mad?

49 Likes 9 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Philgafauto: 3:32pm On Mar 14, 2023
That’s why we are challenging the process and procedure leading to the outcome/results of the election. We know what we are doing.

23 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Houseontherock1: 3:32pm On Mar 14, 2023
CallmeTrinity:
Are they afraid Tinubu is about to be returned to the retirement home and the decision of the last election refunded ?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Doesn't apply again- 7 days have passed and the certificate wasn't withdrawn. By the way, Olanipekun said this in Ekiti on the 18th of January 2023, the op deliberately made it look like he just said it!

The section 65(c) as signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari last year states that, ” declaration of scores of candidates and the return of a candidate : Provided that the Commission shall have the power within seven days to review the declaration and return where the Commission determines that the said declaration and return was not made voluntarily or was made contrary to the provisions of the law, regulations and guidelines, and manual for the election.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by 0m0nnakoda: 3:32pm On Mar 14, 2023
CallmeTrinity:
Are they afraid Tinubu is about to be returned to the retirement home and the decision of the last election refunded ?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

what has this got to do with what he is talking about?

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Philgafauto: 3:33pm On Mar 14, 2023
Dentidon:

How did the Obi who came third win the election? You dey mad?

You shall know soon. Don’t worry.

You are dealing with Nigerians whose mandate you have stolen.

10 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by haffaze777(m): 3:33pm On Mar 14, 2023
Fintiri:

You are afraid to stand on ya shaky shaky mandate?

Obiliar can never rule niaja 🤣🤣🤣🤣

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Philgafauto: 3:34pm On Mar 14, 2023
Legitisreal:
To me, it is a very dangerous section, so novel in the sense that it empowers a returning officer after returning to review his decision within seven days.”

We are not banking on that. Just watch.

2 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Dentidon: 3:34pm On Mar 14, 2023
Philgafauto:

You shall know soon. Don’t worry.

You are dealing with Nigerians whose mandate you have stolen.

Stolen? I know Ipob gene is dumb but try using your brain small!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by 0m0nnakoda: 3:34pm On Mar 14, 2023
Legitisreal:

I don't think you understand what he is saying
He is suggesting the provision should be removed

1 Like

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Philgafauto: 3:37pm On Mar 14, 2023
Dentidon:

Stolen? I know Ipob gene is dumb but try use brain small!

Everybody against APC is igbo to you.

Ok, my name is Chinasa IPOB. I hope you are happy now abi?

15 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Fintiri: 3:37pm On Mar 14, 2023
haffaze777:

Obiliar can never rule niaja 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Go to court and stop shouting with mouth odour

8 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Dentidon: 3:39pm On Mar 14, 2023
Philgafauto:

Everybody against APC is igbo to you.

Ok, my name is Chinasa IPOB. I hope you are happy now abi?

No one cares about whatever you claim to be. I'm only asking you to use your brain regardless of how dumb it could be! Of course we know Ipob genes are dumb.

12 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Philgafauto: 3:48pm On Mar 14, 2023
Dentidon:

No one cares about whatever you claim to be. I'm only asking you to use your brain regardless of how dumb it could be! Of course we know Ipob gene are dumb.

Oya now, omo eran….we Nigerian IPOB will claim our mandate in court. Shebi olo stupid ni? Wa kogbon nita ti oba keko ni ile baba e.

Most of you are tribal to a fault and we shall root of out of Yoruba land. The redemption of yorubaland will start with Tinubu’s impending fall.

Just watch.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Dentidon: 3:51pm On Mar 14, 2023
Philgafauto:

Oya now, omo eran….we Nigerian IPOB will claim our mandate in court. Shebi olo stupid ni? Wa kogbon nita ti oba keko ni ile baba e.

Most of you are tribal to a fault and we shall root of out of Yoruba land. The redemption of yorubaland will start with Tinubu’s impending fall.

Just watch.

Another balderdash! What's the correlation between the trash you posted and using your brain if you've got any? You're yet to use your brain. I don't care about whatever you claim or if Ipob gene is present in your brain, use it or shut up.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by press9jatv: 3:51pm On Mar 14, 2023
Houseontherock1:

Today is March what again? Way past the window period of 7 days to withdraw. By the way, Olanipekun said this in Ekiti on the 18th of January 2023, the op deliberately made it look like he just said it!

The section 65(c) as signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari last year states that, ” declaration of scores of candidates and the return of a candidate : Provided that the Commission shall have the power within seven days to review the declaration and return where the Commission determines that the said declaration and return was not made voluntarily or was made contrary to the provisions of the law, regulations and guidelines, and manual for the election.
Inec returning officer have done that in Kano State on doguwa case.
Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Houseontherock1: 3:52pm On Mar 14, 2023
press9jatv:
Inec returning officer have done that in Kano State on doguwa case.
Yeah, within 7 days.
Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by magoo10(m): 3:53pm On Mar 14, 2023
we learnt from the white man but threw away all we learnt.
Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Putindbutt: 4:02pm On Mar 14, 2023
A very dangerous provision, imagine a corrupt greedy man like Maurice Iwu, i bet he would have revised himself to the highest bidder and declared him.
Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by haffaze777(m): 4:12pm On Mar 14, 2023
Fintiri:

Go to court and stop shouting with mouth odour

Court to do wetin jare?

43 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by CSTRR: 4:13pm On Mar 14, 2023
Dentidon:

How did the Obi who came third win the election? You dey mad?
When the distance between first and third is just 2 million votes.
2 million votes that two or three states can give.

With that level of rigging on display, he may as well come first.

4 Likes

Re: INEC’s Power To Return Candidate Dangerous — Wole Olanipekun by Dentidon: 4:15pm On Mar 14, 2023
CSTRR:

When the distance between first and third is just 2 million votes.
2 million votes that two or three states can give.

With that level of rigging on display, he may as well come first.

He should go contend the second position first instead of disturbing us with his stupidity

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Queen Of England Honours Four Nigerians / Plot To Sack Saraki By Governor & Ex-Governor Turned Minister Thickens- Vanguard / Donald Duke Declares For 2019 Presidential Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.