Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,485 members, 7,781,458 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:45 PM

Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? (1829 Views)

To The Married; Does Money Bring Happiness In A Marriage? / Two Kenyan Women Swap Their Husbands To Find Happiness (video) / Does Money Change People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Moshybear(f): 4:09pm On Mar 19, 2023
Delightsome2023:
thought you're one cos you once dropped an account number few months ago and the account name was an Akwa Ibom name.
I credited with 3k
Lol you must have mistook me for someone else. I'm a full fledged Igbo girl.
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Moshybear(f): 4:10pm On Mar 19, 2023
Chioma4eva:
Not just any spouse but a God ordained spouse. I swear it's heaven on earth.
Very true wink
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Delightsome2023: 4:11pm On Mar 19, 2023
Moshybear:
Lol you must have mistook me for someone else. I'm a full fledged Igbo girl.
DM me let's get to know each other
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by belcom10(m): 4:19pm On Mar 19, 2023
I will advice you to take time. Go to a very quiet place like a garden. Admire nature, sit alone , imagine God goodness, Admire his creation, seek his companion. He will give you purpose to flow with.

boiz2men:

You are correct. I hardly show off. I won't deny that money is good and solves problem but I'm thinking there could be more to life that gives true peace and calmness
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by pansophist(m): 4:26pm On Mar 19, 2023
Yes of course. I just hope no motivational speaker de one corner telling you that money doesn't give happiness. It does. Hundred percent. Money is like fuel, the more fuel you have, the more you can visit all the places you want to go.

A poor man had only his legs, so your money takes you far in life quicker, than one without it. Money is a vehicle. Just having money doesn't bring happiness, but money get you things that makes you happy.

Money is freedom. You don't have to tolerate any stupid boss, and can just be in South Africa tomorrow because you feel bored. How can you not be happy? And with like a million usd, you just buy western citizenship for you snd your family, ending the problem nigeria gives to you instantly. Should I continue?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Moshybear(f): 4:33pm On Mar 19, 2023
Delightsome2023:
DM me let's get to know each other
Okay
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 19, 2023
if you dont have money u are dead, there will be no enjoyment without money
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 19, 2023
Delightsome2023:
thought you're one cos you once dropped an account number few months ago and the account name was an Akwa Ibom name.
I credited with 3k
abeg do me 1k im starving
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 5:42pm On Mar 19, 2023
Whoever told you money doesn't give happiness sold you a sham. Money gives happiness. Try and be broke to the teeth for one month and tell me the result. Body go just dey pepper you.

5 Likes

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by boiz2men(m): 7:26pm On Mar 19, 2023
belcom10:

I will advice you to take time. Go to a very quiet place like a garden. Admire nature, sit alone , imagine God goodness, Admire his creation, seek his companion. He will give you purpose to flow with.

Hmm.. a solitude.

I'll try this
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by mariahAngel(f): 7:32pm On Mar 19, 2023
Money can make you happy (to an extent), but it cannot sustain happiness.
If it did, rich people wouldn't commit suicide.

2 Likes

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by boiz2men(m): 7:36pm On Mar 19, 2023
Moshybear:
I would really appreciate if you could out of goodwill help me out with any amount to add to what I have to start up a hair and makeup business. I have the skills already. Thanks and may God's blessings never cease in your life and also good health for the rest of your days.

I really want to stay anonymous on here.
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by mariahAngel(f): 7:42pm On Mar 19, 2023
JUMO95:
whts the point of being poor in a world like this

At least, poverty gives the poor a challenge that keeps them going- to get rich.

What happens when one is wealthy, but not happy? That is worse.
Life and everything becomes meaningless and worthless.

4 Likes

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by boiz2men(m): 7:51pm On Mar 19, 2023
pansophist:
Yes of course. I just hope no motivational speaker de one corner telling you that money doesn't give happiness. It does. Hundred percent. Money is like fuel, the more fuel you have, the more you can visit all the places you want to go.

A poor man had only his legs, so your money takes you far in life quicker, than one without it. Money is a vehicle. Just having money doesn't bring happiness, but money get you things that makes you happy.

Money is freedom. You don't have to tolerate any stupid boss, and can just be in South Africa tomorrow because you feel bored. How can you not be happy? And with like a million usd, you just buy western citizenship for you snd your family, ending the problem nigeria gives to you instantly. Should I continue?

Everything you mentioned are "material things" and these things will make a material person happy.

For the material person, he has to keep buying stuff to stay happy

How do you think an immaterial can truly be happy?

For someone who doesn't get excited over a gwagon or an iphone, increase in salary/income or whatever. Do you think money can give him happiness
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Moshybear(f): 7:56pm On Mar 19, 2023
Not really
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by boiz2men(m): 7:56pm On Mar 19, 2023
UyaiIncomparabl:
Whoever told you money doesn't give happiness sold you a sham. Money gives happiness. Try and be broke to the teeth for one month and tell me the result. Body go just dey pepper you.

Nobody said it doesn't. The subject is about TRUE HAPPINESS.

do you think rich people don't commit suicide?
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by boiz2men(m): 7:57pm On Mar 19, 2023
mariahAngel:

Exactly. I think so too
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by JUMO95: 8:10pm On Mar 19, 2023
mariahAngel:

At least, poverty gives the poor a challenge that keeps them going- to get rich.

What happens when one is wealthy, but not happy? That is worse.
Life and everything becomes meaningless and worthless.

your perception is faulty, but of course the poor man will always reason from a funny angle.
id rather have wealth give me a challenge than let poverty give me a challenge

let me have the wealth first and see if happiness wont follow

Men who cannot fight alone require loyalty
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by mariahAngel(f): 8:15pm On Mar 19, 2023
JUMO95:

your perception is faulty, but of course the poor man will always reason from a funny angle.

It's not faulty at all.
When you become rich, you will understand my words better.

1 Like

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by pansophist(m): 8:32pm On Mar 19, 2023
boiz2men:

Everything you mentioned are "material things" and these things will make a material person happy.

For the material person, he has to keep buying stuff to stay happy

How do you think an immaterial can truly be happy?

For someone who doesn't get excited over a gwagon or an iphone, increase in salary/income or whatever. Do you think money can give him happiness

Humans are material and immaterial beings. And by being material as a sentient, its not the same thing as being materialistic.

By immaterial, it will be about your emotions, love, living in truth, freedom, purpose, sense of worth, sense of belonging, esteem, happiness, health, fulfilment, family, etc.

And by material, it would be food, clothing, shelter, and material things in the context of the society you live in. So if you leave in Nigeria, a winter jacket is useless, but useful in Sweden.

So saying one is materialistic wanting essential material survival kit is wrong. You need both, that's the balance. A torch is only useful in the dark, not in the sun. The immaterial thrives because of the material. They are both complimentary.

And yes, Gwagon and iPhone makes you happy. That's not being materialistic. If you live where there is no public transport, and need a smartphone for work, a gwagon and iPhone (material things) will make you happy (immaterial).

Spending money on what you don't need to impress those that don't give a shit about you, and will even hate you for oppressing them with your affluence, which reveal the hell they are in, is materialism.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by karli4nia(m): 9:24pm On Mar 19, 2023
mariahAngel:

Whats cracking
Pleasure isnt happiness
Nothing external can give nor sustain happiness, only dieing and being dead.
Unfortunatly thats everyones worst nightmare
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by henrimoto(m): 9:53pm On Mar 19, 2023
..... Think less of yourself, think more about those around you. Engage yourself with outdoor activities, volunteer & charity works. Give happiness to those around you, you will get happiness in return.

How do you give happiness to those around you?

Show care & concern, share in the pains & joy of those around you. Encourage someone not to "Give up" in his/her pursuit and hustle in life.

In all you do, be conscious of THE SUPREME BEING - THE ALMIGHTY.

1 Like

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by mariahAngel(f): 10:06pm On Mar 19, 2023
karli4nia:

Whats cracking
Pleasure isnt happiness
Nothing external can give nor sustain happiness, only dieing and being dead.
Unfortunatly thats everyones worst nightmare

Happiness means nothing to the dead.
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Dainy1(m): 5:45am On Mar 20, 2023
If money doesn't give true happiness, does poverty does?
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Dailyparrot: 8:47am On Mar 20, 2023
boiz2men:

No, It's not ingratitude. In fact, I think it might be too much of gratitude and contentment but I'm not sure. I am very comfortable and appreciative of where I am, was, and came from. I used to be so ambitious but not anymore. The desire for more is now nonexistent yet what was already gotten isn't as exciting as one would expect. A part of me thinks it's because I am not materialistic.

It's not you being materialistic or not. I think it's you being less ambitious.

Ambition here isn't in terms of career but in terms of plan.

Maybe, you never envisaged yourself having that kind of money and when it came, you don't know what to do with it.

In as much as you are not materialistic, there are so many things that you can do with money to help the society. You can find fulfillment in those.

Can you build a standard private school and charge school fees enough to cover the operating costs only just so you can make it affordable to people who wouldn't have ordinarily afforded such quality education at that price?

My goal in life when I make such money that you have is to make impacts. You can build vocational schools and equip our youths with self employable skills.

There are a whole lot to do with money if you feel that your needs and wants have been met.

When you don't have a plan for money, you will not be excited when it comes. The excitement comes from the problem you are going to solve with that money.

You can go to your village and build something that they need. Things that can be found only in the city and make the price village friendly.

I can go on and on

1 Like

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by Dailyparrot: 8:56am On Mar 20, 2023
JUMO95:

This is not only in terms of money but other aspects of life.

I could remember our young professor telling us in class that he thought once he is promoted to the professor rank, he would be happy all his life and all his problems would be over.

Now, he is a professor but does not seem to feel any different from who he was other than the title professor being added to his name.

When you don't own a car, you would think those with cars are happier than those that don't have, but it's not true.

People in Lekki aren't any happier than people in Ikorodu. It's all about the oppression that I live in Lekki.

If you are to buy a Gwagon and no one would see it except you, you won't be excited buying it.

The excitement and happiness comes not because you are becoming mobile, but because of the respect you will get driving such a car.

How neighbors will regard you going forward and all. So, the love of having increases by having. In order to continue to be excited with anything, you have to keep getting more of it.
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by nadel: 9:00am On Mar 20, 2023
huh

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:09am On Mar 20, 2023
boiz2men:
Life is puzzling.

Sometimes I wonder why our politicians steal so much. By God's grace, I became rich and graced to see hundreds of million. A few contracts here and there and a great career. But here comes a new problem. This doesn't excite me anymore. The next 10 million is not going to make my life any better. Promotion at work, increase in income, nothing excites me anymore and worse is that I am not materialistic at all, so acquiring gadgets, toys, or building mansions could never make me excited. I live a very simple life, wear basic quality fashion items, and drive simple cars. This is just my personality and not an act of humility.

Despite all the many good things that have happened in my life and all the things that I could potentially acquire. I am at a stage where I am really confused about myself.
Sometimes I buy unnecessary things I don't need just to feel like I am spending money. Other times, I am quick to assist deserving friends.

If you are not materialistic and yet, rich. How did you overcome this problem? This problem has left me in a state where I am neither happy nor sad.

we find happiness is different things eg some parents find happiness in having grand kids

Happiness is an individually things, yes money brings happiness to some people eg a person who loves gadgets or lasted things, being able to buy and have it brings them happiness

Happiness come through different things
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by MichAm: 7:35am On Apr 18, 2023
boiz2men:
Life is puzzling.

Sometimes I wonder why our politicians steal so much. By God's grace, I became rich and graced to see hundreds of million. A few contracts here and there and a great career. But here comes a new problem. This doesn't excite me anymore. The next 10 million is not going to make my life any better. Promotion at work, increase in income, nothing excites me anymore and worse is that I am not materialistic at all, so acquiring gadgets, toys, or building mansions could never make me excited. I live a very simple life, wear basic quality fashion items, and drive simple cars. This is just my personality and not an act of humility.

Despite all the many good things that have happened in my life and all the things that I could potentially acquire. I am at a stage where I am really confused about myself.
Sometimes I buy unnecessary things I don't need just to feel like I am spending money. Other times, I am quick to assist deserving friends.

If you are not materialistic and yet, rich. How did you overcome this problem? This problem has left me in a state where I am neither happy nor sad.

I read this post and it got me thinking about the exact way to explain this, because I'm not rich, so I don't know how it feels to be rich but I'm ok.

Well, if I say Jesus! You might just be tempted to think this one has come with religion, (smiles) not all about that because I don't know how to explain or preach him to you when I'm not a preacher; I can't even make you know him or see him except you genuinely desire him and only you and he can build that relationship.

I know how it feels to want to find him, especially in this generation where familiarizing yourself with Christ looks aches but there is an unimaginable Joy, happiness, pain, fulfillment, and a sense of purpose with him. Have you ever fallen in love, do know how it feels to just be with that one person despite all odds? He does not promise all roses but he is always with you even in the middle of a storm that makes you not feel alone.

Imagine having the money and having Christ as a friend. He comes into your life with a conscience that allows you to run from wrong and evil no matter how pleasurable it might look. Just do your findings and research yourself! There's more to him than we hear on the pulpit.

1 Like

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by SirWhiteFish: 9:08am On Apr 18, 2023
I am sure poverty doesn't give happiness
Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by lilyheaven: 1:43pm On Apr 18, 2023
You are not a materialistic person.
I think you will be a natural person.
Try going on adventures,
Take a vacation to where you can climb mountains, water falls, village streams climbing mango trees 😂 that kind places will make you happy.
You can come take along because I love such things a lot.
boiz2men:

No, It's not ingratitude. In fact, I think it might be too much of gratitude and contentment but I'm not sure. I am very comfortable and appreciative of where I am, was, and came from. I used to be so ambitious but not anymore. The desire for more is now nonexistent yet what was already gotten isn't as exciting as one would expect. A part of me thinks it's because I am not materialistic.

2 Likes

Re: Does Money Really Give TRUE Happiness? by CodeTemplar: 2:52pm On Apr 18, 2023
Berrityga:
Your a Mumu man for asking this. I hope poverty doesn't kill you.
We all know who the real fool is here.

@topic, happiness is common, what is hard to see is joy or inner man happiness.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Raging Pregnancy Hormones? / Can I Really Ask What's Your Expected Da̶̲̥̅ɣ Of Delivery / Where Does Your Duty/work As Parents End?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.