Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty (32157 Views)

Nigerian Student Who Abandoned School Jailed For Drugs Smuggling In Cyprus / Ifeanyi: Davido’s Nanny, Cook May Face Charges For Negligence / Drug-Smuggling Cat Escapes From Prison In Sri Lanka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by PoloG: 10:50pm On Mar 15, 2023
Indonesian authorities on Wednesday, March 15, 2023, said they have arrested four foreigners including three Nigerians for allegedly trying to smuggle drugs into the country.

The Nigerian nationals were arrested separately between January and March at Soekarno-Hatta international airport in Jakarta and several apartments in the capital, police spokesperson Trunoyudo Wisnu Andika told a news conference in Jakarta.

One of the Nigerians arrested had allegedly swallowed dozens of capsules filled with more than a kilogram (2.2 pounds) of methamphetamine.

Indonesia is a major hub for drug trafficking in Southeast Asia and has strict drug laws, with convicted smugglers sometimes executed by firing squad.

Gatot Sugeng Wibowo, chief of customs at Soekarno-Hatta, said officers arrested Malachi Onyekachukwu Umanu, a Nigerian who arrived at the airport from Ethiopia on March 5 with no suitcase or bag.

His suspicious behavior prompted officers to check his body, and an X-ray turned up some 64 capsules inside his stomach. Authorities managed to force all the capsules, which were filled with a total of 1.07 kilograms (2.3 pounds) of crystal methamphetamine, out of his stomach within three days, Wibowo said.

Customs officers at the airport also arrested a Brazilian man, Gustavo Pinto da Silveira, shortly after he arrived from Rio de Janeiro in early January, carrying a backpack, suitcase and surfboard. He initially refused to let officers test the contents of liquids in his luggage.

His resistance led officers to further investigate the substance, which was stored in six toiletry bottles and had a strong odor. Lab tests confirmed the fluid was 2 liters (67.6 ounces) of liquid cocaine. Police said it was worth 20 billion rupiah ($1.3 million).

Police also arrested two other Nigerian nationals along with an Indonesian man and woman who tried to smuggle 1.04 kilograms (2.2 pounds) of crystal meth from India wrapped in lace fabric through a post office in Jakarta.

Mukti Juharsa, the police director of drug investigations in the capital, believes the recent arrests are all linked to an international syndicate that sought to distribute the drugs in Jakarta.

"Foreigners shouldn’t try to bring drugs to Indonesia. They won’t escape being arrested, as customs at all international airports in Indonesia have been improved,” Juharsa said.

"He said the suspects would be punished according to Indonesia’s strict narcotics law, with a minimum of five years’ imprisonment and a potential death sentence, as both dealers and distributors of various types of drugs.

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime says Indonesia is a major smuggling hub in part because international drug syndicates target its young population. There are 5.6 million drug users in the country of 270 million people, Indonesia’s National Narcotics Agency estimates.

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2023/3/three-nigerians-arrested-in-indonesia-for-alleged-drug-smuggling-could-face-death-penalty-2.html

11 Likes

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by SoftP(m): 10:56pm On Mar 15, 2023
Nigerians nor dey hear word

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by Omoawoke: 10:57pm On Mar 15, 2023
Chief executive developers and liberators

250 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by searchng4love: 11:08pm On Mar 15, 2023
angry
Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by spinna: 11:19pm On Mar 15, 2023
Just execute them abeg

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by Totilopussylick(m): 11:21pm On Mar 15, 2023
Malachi Onyekachukwu Umanu cheesy
Omoawoke:
Chief executive developers and liberators

124 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by FisifunKododada: 11:24pm On Mar 15, 2023
okoros. This is what they mean when they call themselves hardworkers. Criminals, that's what they're .

191 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by Roboto11: 12:05am On Mar 16, 2023
That CBN policy made it difficult for me to reach here all this while.

But I'm here now.

What happened?

151 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by SultanOfPuna: 8:28am On Mar 16, 2023
Who is giving these drug smugglers visa?

There is a bigger picture going on in all this drug cases
And why are they mainly igbos??
Is someone recuiting jobless igbo youths and paying for thier flight ticket and visa fee then sending them to asia to deliver drugs

Something bigger is going on behind the scene
Same way Edo big mamas recuit jobless broke girls and pay their flight/visa fee then send them to italy for ashawo work

70 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by achymmania: 8:29am On Mar 16, 2023
Pls I dont have time to read this news, can someone confirm to me if nah them.

57 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by BOLATINUBU01: 8:29am On Mar 16, 2023
Another one, when they say we are everywhere, this is what they do

121 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by fk001(m): 8:29am On Mar 16, 2023
This flat!nos will soon go extinct if care is not taken.

Abi dem swear for dem with drugs ni??

An authentic source told me that Asian countries are now profiling Nigerians by their tribe, they will ask about your tribe if they know you are igbo then your search will be thoroughly different.

I also had my experience in Abuja, my friend asked me to help him pick his luggage in Abuja, after I picked the luggage those NDLEA guys didn't bother to check the bag cos I am wearing kaftan my appearance look like a northerners, but I mistakenly told one of them that is not mine, that it belong to my friend from USA, they asked me his name and told them (obviously an igbo name). One of the NDLEA exclaimed in surprise and they said I should come in that's how they ransacked the back, they even open a sealed chocolate bar asking me to eat it. One of them a Hausa lady telling me in hausa that she truly apologise that igbos are their main suspect when it comes to drugs.

She advised me that I should stop doing that because is risky no matter how I trust the person.

125 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by Tunechi5(m): 8:29am On Mar 16, 2023
Ok
Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by NOC1(m): 8:30am On Mar 16, 2023
Hmm, people that call Tinubu Drug Baron are Drug peddlers is it not hypocrisy.

I have a friend who was deported for drug trafficking still unrepentant, but if you see him addressing Tinubu as a baron you will think he is a saint

117 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by IboHausaYoruba: 8:30am On Mar 16, 2023
Honestly I'm ashamed of the get rich syndrome eating deep into the psyche of my people. It is time for leadership and reputable elders in the South East to call the youths to order. The detrimental effect is going to create a very bleak future for us. Do you know many people around the world are now picking igbo as the main tribe of arrogance; behavioral deficiency and drug peddling in Nigeria. It is no longer 'Nigerians are bad', the torchlight is being directed at the notorious region. Speaking with a South African at work, she told me she'll rather roll with a Yoruba for example rather than an igbo (how she got to know about different tribes in Nigeria is beyond me). If we think we are spoiling the name Nigeria, my brothers and sisters, people have started picking the stones from the chaff. We igbos can not continue like this, else the future generation place a curse on our graves.

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by Nobody: 8:30am On Mar 16, 2023
Catch and punish them the way they deserve. We good Nigerians are ashamed of those soiling our country's image all over the world. Whether Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba.

Evil is evil. We condemn every form of evil. Nobody is above the law. There is still dignity in legitimate labour

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by tetralogyfallot(m): 8:31am On Mar 16, 2023
Rip in advance

4 Likes

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by Obito555(m): 8:31am On Mar 16, 2023
Don't do drugs

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Nigerians Arrested For Drug Smuggling In Indonesia May Face Death Penalty by tydi(m): 8:31am On Mar 16, 2023
sad
It's sad to say the least these boys amuse me in all country to run your sh!ts not Asia 🌏 soil .
Do the crime do the time .

Say NO to Drugs

Tinubu would be proud.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Accountant Steals London School €4m Fund, Uk’s Biggest Education Fraud / #EndSARS: "We Drank Our Urine To Quench Thirst In SARS Cell"--SARS Victim / 2 Brothers Arrested For Defrauding Rice Seller With Fake Currency (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.