Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:03 AM

Is It Advisable To Japa Now? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is It Advisable To Japa Now? (6177 Views)

How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers / Nigerian Leaders Have Looted Your Future, Japa Now - Nairalander In Canada: PICS / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:20pm On Mar 19, 2023
Obudupikin:

Why the US?
The myriad of business opportunities in the USA and the amount of stupidly high paying jobs available beat the offer of staying back in Nigeria for a measly 2 million naira a month.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Obudupikin: 12:27pm On Mar 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
The myriad of business opportunities in the USA and the amount of stupidly high paying jobs available beat the offer of staying back in Nigeria for a measly 2 million naira a month.

Anywhere beats staying in Nigeria in its current state, in my opinion. What I wanted to know is why you picked the US over the other western countries in general and the UK in particular.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:29pm On Mar 19, 2023
Obudupikin:

Anywhere beats staying in Nigeria in its current state, in my opinion. What I wanted to know is why you picked the US over the other western countries in general and the UK in particular.

High paying jobs and much more business opportunities in the USA. The UK doesn't have much economic opportunities

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Kaycee54321(m): 12:34pm On Mar 19, 2023
TheUnsure,

If you can move to the UK, move.

Since you run an online business, think about scaling your business and exploring the possibilities of catering to the UK market (in addition to the Naija market).

Nigeria is not safe. It's not about the money. You're one illness or accident away from a preventable death. You're one wrong move away from getting caught up in tribal violence you never planned for.

Move if you can. The numbers may not add up immediately; but your kids will forever thank you.

My 2 kobo.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Nice2023(m): 12:37pm On Mar 19, 2023
Madam I make a little above that every month...but after I read about a Nigerian who left this country and relocated abroad earning double his income yet he couldn't save as much as he was saving while living in Nigeria.

UK has a very funny minimum wage that would shock u more.

Pls,better stay back.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Obudupikin: 1:00pm On Mar 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

High paying jobs and much more business opportunities in the USA. The UK doesn't have much economic opportunities

Okay.

Thank you for the feedback.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by ednut1(m): 1:02pm On Mar 19, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
which visa she wan use enter usa Go on LinkedIn and see the number of people who studied in USA begging for visa sponsorship jobs
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:03pm On Mar 19, 2023
ednut1:
which visa she wan use enter usa Go on LinkedIn and see the number of people who studied in USA begging for visa sponsorship jobs

True na why I say getting green card dey hard even as a student e no sure. Better to run Canada. Nigeria is better than UK even in its current state especially if she no dey tech or healthcare. Na only warehouse or care job dey.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Gerrard59(m): 1:45pm On Mar 19, 2023
bamdexfarms:

To add to your writeup above, there is a severe shortage of jobs right now in the UK. Technically they are in a recession as a result of Brexit but they don't want to announce it. Several people that left their lucrative jobs and businesses in Nigeria for the UK are currently struggling to find jobs. Even the so-called care jobs are getting difficult to find. As the poster above me advised, please weigh your options carefully. You are better off going to Canada than the UK. There are also better European countries you can migrate to with your family because there is nothing special about the UK. Their system is designed to collect from you rather than give. I pray God will guide your decision.

None offers a straight pathway to naturalisation (this should be her main target) and those who do are not English speaking. I doubt OP is prepared to learn another language. Also, those places have fewer blacks. But then, if Nigerians can be crude tribalists, nothing wrong in residing amongst racists.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Gerrard59(m): 1:50pm On Mar 19, 2023
Nice2023:
Madam I make a little above that every month...but after I read about a Nigerian who left this country and relocated abroad earning double his income yet he couldn't save as much as he was saving while living in Nigeria.

UK has a very funny minimum wage that would shock u more.

Pls,better stay back.

That is because they always convert their expenses to naira even when they are earning pounds. Why should he measure how much he earns and spends in naira? Anyone who relocated would automatically earn more than s/he does while in Nigeria. It is simple FOREX. If you earn in pounds, you spend in pounds, nothing should concern you with naira.

As for the UK minimum wage, it is almost the same across all developed countries. The places where it is above the average (Switzerland and some states in the US) have high cost of living. So, everything comes down to square one.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by TheUnsure: 5:08pm On Mar 19, 2023
Gerrard59:

None offers a straight pathway to naturalisation (this should be her main target) and those who do are not English speaking. I doubt OP is prepared to learn another language. Also, those places have fewer blacks. But then, if Nigerians can be crude tribalists, nothing wrong in residing amongst racists.

Yes, i have family in one of those countries (free accommodation during study) but they give only one year post study visa and there is also the language barrier. Not particularly attractive to me.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by jesmond3945: 6:04pm On Mar 19, 2023
Op your reasons are very valid. Like I always advise people, if you want a sane environment where the system work, uk is very okay but if you are looking for money in the bank, cars, a big house, please stay in nigeria. For your kids just put them in school which is free. The quality of education is standard. Then look for nigerians who will look after them till you come back from work. Some collect as low as 35 pounds a day.
For me what is the point of having money in the bank when you cant even enjoy it. If not bad roads, is cashless policy, is police extortion, fuel scarcity, insecurity, thuggery, prostitution.
I prefer uk to usa. Uk is family oriented, free public services, courteous and polite public, no gun violence, peace of mind, decensy and so much more.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Itzteewhy(m): 6:22pm On Mar 19, 2023
I don't want to reply but seeing considering your profile as a single mum. I just felt some pity.

See I'm a pro-japa myself infact by the grace of God when I'm done with my B.sc my next thing na to Japa lol make God pick my call.

However, Frankly speaking I won't advice my enemy to Japa to UK as it is today. Considering the amount you are earning here in Nigeria which comparably good IMO. Majority of people don't like to hear the truth. The standard of living is extremely high in UK.

As someone as said. They are low-key in recession they are just being quite about it so people trooping in won't notice cos they actually need that sef. The system is kinda flawed. They give and take double of it back.

You are better off staying Nigeria and perhaps going for vacation occasionally. And if you are still keen on Japa-ing. I would advice you look at other countries like Canada, Australia or perhaps Europe or scadinavain countries. Who knows you might have better opportunities in some of these countries.

My 2cents tho.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Itzteewhy(m): 6:26pm On Mar 19, 2023
Gerrard59:

Bro I'm not disputing your facts. However, with the type tribalism that's has happened especially during this election the least of her worries would be racism lol

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Sirchiboy: 6:58pm On Mar 19, 2023
TheUnsure:
Im a single mum of two (both under 10) in my early 30s. I make a profit of 2.1m -2.4m from my business monthly. And I just got an offer of a 9-5 job that should be paying about 600k monthly with a multinational (not sure if I want to take it in addition to my business or just face my business completely).
Edited to add: the reason I'm not sure if I'm taking the job is because it would require leaving home at 5/5:30 am and driving 3/4 hours everyday in lagos traffic, not sure I have that strength. On the other hand, apart from the extra money, it's a good way to meet more people, enlarge my circle. My business mostly online so I hardly go anywhere.

I have an opportunity to Japa to the Uk and I’m honestly unsure about going.

1. The plan is do some courses before I leave to increase my chances of getting a job in tech (non-coding) when I get to the Uk, how easy is that going to be And care work is NOT an option for me. I’m afraid to leave certainty for uncertainty.

2. I don’t want to relocate as a single lady. A lot of people in the Uk are single and lonely, I know because I have many friends there. I see babes coming to Naija in December to hustle for bf/husband. I don’t want to join that queue nor am I interested in doing ‘friends with benefits’ with anyone . I think the dating scene is kinda better in Nigeria (I stand to be corrected though).
Also financially and mentally, two heads are surely better than one.

Please I need your thoughts. I’m a longtime member of NL but I’m using this moniker for the sake of anonymity. Thanks, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Please lets be civil and polite with our responses too.
Let's get married.
Don't mind if you have a child
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Munachimso30(m): 7:07pm On Mar 19, 2023
TheUnsure:
Im a single mum of two (both under 10) in my early 30s. I make a profit of 2.1m -2.4m from my business monthly. And I just got an offer of a 9-5 job that should be paying about 600k monthly with a multinational (not sure if I want to take it in addition to my business or just face my business completely).
Edited to add: the reason I'm not sure if I'm taking the job is because it would require leaving home at 5/5:30 am and driving 3/4 hours everyday in lagos traffic, not sure I have that strength. On the other hand, apart from the extra money, it's a good way to meet more people, enlarge my circle. My business mostly online so I hardly go anywhere.

I have an opportunity to Japa to the Uk and I’m honestly unsure about going.

1. The plan is do some courses before I leave to increase my chances of getting a job in tech (non-coding) when I get to the Uk, how easy is that going to be And care work is NOT an option for me. I’m afraid to leave certainty for uncertainty.

2. I don’t want to relocate as a single lady. A lot of people in the Uk are single and lonely, I know because I have many friends there. I see babes coming to Naija in December to hustle for bf/husband. I don’t want to join that queue nor am I interested in doing ‘friends with benefits’ with anyone . I think the dating scene is kinda better in Nigeria (I stand to be corrected though).
Also financially and mentally, two heads are surely better than one.

Please I need your thoughts. I’m a longtime member of NL but I’m using this moniker for the sake of anonymity. Thanks, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Please lets be civil and polite with our responses too.

Don’t, stay back
Its not always greener out there
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by pocohantas(f): 7:15pm On Mar 19, 2023
You want to leave a business giving you such amount to enter UK as a single mother of two minors? Hmmmm!

My sister, anyone that tells you to do such doesn’t like you o. UK is currently overstretched. No use your money buy flight to depression abeg.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Rocktation(f): 7:22pm On Mar 19, 2023
Pace yourself, don't rush. Use thick biro and cancel this UK you are thinking about. That's even an overused term right now in life. Go the US school route, PhD..get funded, show up, graduate and enter this tech or anything sef..even paper technology and blowwww.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Oyetboy(m): 9:31pm On Mar 19, 2023
Wherever you wanna go... Remove uk from the list

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by candyguyofficia(m): 9:54pm On Mar 19, 2023
I would have said you should relocate at once but with a 2M+ profit you make monthly, I would advise you think twice about relocating. I honestly believe that most persons oversea do not make that much money in first world country (after tax), coupled with the uncertainty in oversea especially for someone that was doing well here.

I would recommend you apply for a tourist visa to the proposed country you plan to relocate to as a means of testing the water inorder to know what really lies there and if truly the grass is greener on the other side (reason been that you well to do).

Also save enough money and build travel experience (even when you plan to stay in naija) although because of inflation your money might lose value (or save in USD) to facilitate relocation as insurance so that even when you stay back in Naija and should there be reason to relocate ASAP you can use the money to process the relocation .

When it comes to relocation be vigilant so that you don't loose your money to fraudsters.

Sincerely, I think Canada (ease of getting P.R so long as you can get in) and Australia are better options than UK

If you decide to relocate after the recommendation, please you can link me up with the 600k monthly job or any other job that you have a link.

Cc
TheUnsure

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by JapaToDNext: 11:34pm On Mar 19, 2023
TheUnsure:
To everyone that has given an advice so far, thank you for taking your time to leave a comment.

I’m working on setting up a structure for the business, I want to see if it’s possible to run it without my physical presence and not be robbed blind. This country is ghetto, the relocation is mostly for the sake of my children (the deserve more than this contraption has to offer) but at the same time, I want to be careful so I don’t end up with regrets.

And for people asking about the nature of the business, it is simply buying and selling. I buy from Lagos market and sell online. You just have to be consistent, take good pictures of the items, invest in learning how to run sponsored adverts properly and set a good budget for the ads. You spend money to make money, grease Zuckerberg’s palm well and watch him do wonders for you. I didn’t learn all these overnight too, I tried other businesses and struggled before this became a success in less than 2 years. I know ladies making 10m, 20m, 30m on instagram almost every month from selling bags, hair and clothes generally. E.g finefunky (not sure I got the spelling right), everythingfashionitem1, laydee Lara, magmimibagdeals etc these are all ladies in their 30s. There is a lot of money flying around on social media, you just have to find your own approach to get a piece of the cake.

Please keep the opinions coming, God help us all.
can u recommend videos to learn Facebook ads setup
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:43am On Mar 20, 2023
Obudupikin:

They are below 10 years. That won't be a wise thing to do. I'm not even sure UK immigration would allow it.

I was referring to University education.
I won't to encouraging anyone to send kids abroad for secondary education, as i don't see any difference between what's obtainable in standard Nigerian schools and those abroad at that level.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:50am On Mar 20, 2023
1Sharon:

And leaving them in whose care?

University students are not usually placed in anyone's care.

...unless your mind was on primary and secondary education, which i wasn't referring to.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by bamdexfarms(m): 3:28pm On Mar 21, 2023
Gerrard59:

None offers a straight pathway to naturalization (this should be her main target) and those who do are not English speaking. I doubt OP is prepared to learn another language. Also, those places have fewer blacks. But then, if Nigerians can be crude tribalists, nothing wrong in residing amongst racists.

Germany's pathway to naturalization is even easier than the UK. If you graduate from a German Uni, you will become a permanent resident in less than 2 years of full-time work there. Regarding the languages, they are learnable! There is even a German language school in Lagos(Goethe Institut). Her kids will even learn the language faster than her because their brain is still developing. Regarding racism, it exists everywhere and the UK is not exempted. The ease of getting a UK visa has made Nigerians not notice other European countries with better economies and a better standard of living.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by bamdexfarms(m): 3:47pm On Mar 21, 2023
TheUnsure:

Yes, I have family in one of those countries (free accommodation during study) but they give only one year post study visa and there is also the language barrier. Not particularly attractive to me.

I do not know the country your relations reside. But I will tell you a few facts about Germany because I live and study here.
1. You do not pay tuition fees and the hostel accommodation is rock-bottom cheap.
2. The university offers German language classes alongside your studies. So if you take these language classes seriously, you will most
likely speak the language before you graduate.
3. Student jobs are easy to get here, especially if you study in big cities.
4. The post-study work visa is 18 months and your chances of getting a well-paid job are high, provided that you can learn the language
before you graduate. You don't need any kind of sponsorship from your employer.
5. Your student years are counted towards your naturalization/citizenship. So that means if you are a graduate of a German university
get a full-time job. You get your permanent residency in less than two years, and you also get your citizenship in less than three after
that.
6. You can bring your children along while you study in Germany And most universities are family-friendly. There are student family
hostels too!
7. If you don't want to study, you can apply for full-time jobs in Germany from Nigeria, and you can enter Germany with your children on a work visa. However, that depends on the skills you have. It is easier to get a full-time job in Germany if you have IT skills (Data Analytics, Data Science, UI/UX design etc) not necessarily programming.
8. You can learn these skills in short boot camps (www.utiva.io) in Nigeria and apply for jobs in Germany.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by Gerrard59(m): 4:10pm On Mar 21, 2023
bamdexfarms:

Germany's pathway to naturalization is even easier than the UK. If you graduate from a German Uni, you will become a permanent resident in less than 2 years of full-time work there. Regarding the languages, they are learnable! There is even a German language school in Lagos(Goethe Institut). Her kids will even learn the language faster than her because their brain is still developing. Regarding racism, it exists everywhere and the UK is not exempted. The ease of getting a UK visa has made Nigerians not notice other European countries with better economies and a better standard of living.

Good luck getting a German student visa from West African countries. OP should do express entry - PR is guaranteed, no need to learn any language and the world's biggest consumer goods market is in her backyard. TheUnsure, your best bet is EE in Canada. Don't allow anyone to deceive you with Germany when obtaining a German student visa from Nigeria to Gambia is horrendously difficult.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:19pm On Mar 21, 2023
bamdexfarms:

The wait time to get a German study visa for those in category b is close to 2 years. This is for applicants all over west Africa.
Re: Is It Advisable To Japa Now? by studyless123: 4:55pm On Mar 21, 2023
TheUnsure:
To everyone that has given an advice so far, thank you for taking your time to leave a comment.

I’m working on setting up a structure for the business, I want to see if it’s possible to run it without my physical presence and not be robbed blind. This country is ghetto, the relocation is mostly for the sake of my children (the deserve more than this contraption has to offer) but at the same time, I want to be careful so I don’t end up with regrets.

And for people asking about the nature of the business, it is simply buying and selling. I buy from Lagos market and sell online. You just have to be consistent, take good pictures of the items, invest in learning how to run sponsored adverts properly and set a good budget for the ads. You spend money to make money, grease Zuckerberg’s palm well and watch him do wonders for you. I didn’t learn all these overnight too, I tried other businesses and struggled before this became a success in less than 2 years. I know ladies making 10m, 20m, 30m on instagram almost every month from selling bags, hair and clothes generally. E.g finefunky (not sure I got the spelling right), everythingfashionitem1, laydee Lara, magmimibagdeals etc these are all ladies in their 30s. There is a lot of money flying around on social media, you just have to find your own approach to get a piece of the cake.

Please keep the opinions coming, God help us all.

You can manage your business anywhere in the world since it's online. Just like you stated I have friends in the US who manage their online businesses they started in Nigeria.

You don't have to relocate because of your kids except you really have to. In 8 years they'll be about 18 and can go anywhere they want in the world. 3 of my nephews are in secondary schools in Nigeria. They'll leave once they complete their secondary schooling.

In finding a partner, you will find if you're beautiful and have good qualities. Based on the info you presented the easiest way out is through schooling

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Prove That You Are Married At The Embassy Without Doing Court Wedding / Boeing Removes Dennis Muilenburg As Chairman Amid 737 Max Crisis / Arik Air Requires N10bn To Resume Full Operations – AMCON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.