Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:44 PM

Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? (37230 Views)

Nigeria's 5 Most Controversial Governors / The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently / Nlanders List Your 5. Top Nigerian Criminals Of Your Choice + Reasons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Navalsadiq(m): 8:53am On Jul 22, 2013
1.MAJOR
T HAMZA
3 ALMUSTAFA
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Billygee2u: 8:58am On Jul 22, 2013
DRANOEL: 1. GIDEON ORKAR

2. IBB

3. FELA

4. MURTALA MOHAMMED

5. OJUKWU

IF NOT BECAUSE YOU MENTIONED IBB( MARADONA ),I WOULD HAVE SCORED YOU 100%
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Arosa(m): 9:04am On Jul 22, 2013
1 My father
2 the Oba of Benin
3 Wole Soyinka
4 Dora Akunyili
5 Aliko Dangote

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by 7thCANON: 9:11am On Jul 22, 2013
Phillip Effiong- The unsung hero of the Nigeria.

Gen Efiong, full name: Philip Asuquo Efiong Udo Ukpong Akpan Ekandem Essien Nkam Obionte, was a self-made man who rose through the ranks to become a Lt-Colonel in the Nigerian Army before the coup of 15 January 1966. Following the coup, he was posted to the Supreme Headquarters as Principal Staff Officer to Major-Gen J. T. U. Aguiyi-Ironsi. He was Acting Chief of Staff Supreme Headquarters in May 1966. And in July 1966 he was posted to Kaduna as Deputy Brigade Commander. Following the counter coup of July 1966, Efiong who was a target of the counter coupists, managed to escape to Lagos. And in compliance with orders for all officers to return to their region of origin, he returned to the East before the civil war broke out in 1967. In Biafra, Gen Efiong held various commands as Chief of Logistics, Chief of Staff, Commandant of the Militia and the Chief of General Staff. But what has put Efiong in a position of historical significance is that he was the last Head of State of Biafra and the man who eventually brought the fratricidal war to an end. It is therefore clear that Efiong was in vantage positions during those crucial years in the history of this country.

More Information
http://www.kwenu.com/bookreview/philip_efiong.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Effiong

This is why I get so angry with my Igbo friends who, in their sheer blindness, only believe Ojukwu was Biafra and Biafra was Ojukwu. Indeed, Phillip Effiong was, though arguable, the greatest Biafran. It is worthy to mention that he was senior to Ojukwu and others (he was a Brig Gen), but was humble enough to be second in command to Ojukwu, and was Head of State when Ojukwu fled. Nnaemeka L. Aneke wrote, "General Efiong’s handling of Biafra’s surrender is one of the most tactical and devoted maneuvers ever seen on the Nigerian scene. Those who do not appreciate the depth of it may not have appreciated what was at stake as Biafra capitulated." Many observers had expected wholesale retribution at war's end (see the wikipedia link).

grafikdon: In No Special Order;

Sam Ogbemudia
Odumegwu Ojukwu
Wole Soyinka
Chinua Achebe
Phillip Effiong
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Soludo11: 9:19am On Jul 22, 2013
My Dad( names withheld)-------For his fatherly roles.

Rev. Chris Oyakhilome --------For his great teachings of the world of God.

Chief Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu------For his current mature and intelligent approach towards issues.

Chief Olusegun Obasanjo-------For his leadership roles to the Nigerian governance since the Military regime.
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Mazeepac(m): 9:19am On Jul 22, 2013
1. Olusegun Mathew Okikiọla Arẹmu Ọbasanjọ
2. Professor Patrick Okedinachi Utomi
3. Alhaji Aliko Dangote
4. Governor Donald Etim Duke
5. Ogbeni Rauf Adesoji Aregbesola
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 22, 2013
1: late major General Isaac Adaka Boro 2:late Umaru Musa Yar Adua 3:President Goodluck Jonthan 4:commander Asari Dokumbo 5:prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Adedoks(m): 9:32am On Jul 22, 2013
The great apostle joseph ayo babalola, Dr Dk olukoya, pst E A adeboye, the late Bishop Ben idahosa, mallam amino kano
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by UyiIredia(m): 9:40am On Jul 22, 2013
My late mum

Chief Obafemi Awolowo

Chief Odumegwu Ojukwu

Pastor Tunde Bakare

and

Gov Tunde Fashola
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Lilimax(f): 9:49am On Jul 22, 2013
dridowu: Since 2007 , OK my topic also go hope of reaching frontpage
grin grin
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by olakintanj(m): 10:05am On Jul 22, 2013
(1). Pastor E.A Adeboye: for populating the Kingdom of God here on earth nd for his level of humility
(2). Admira Komolafe Kehinde: for his higher moral standard in Nigerian Navy, his level of transperancy, accountability and for his humility
(3). Obafemi Awolowo: for his struggle for Nigeria and introduction of free education to the western part of Nigeria
(4). Fela Anikulapo Kuti: for his kind of music.(Nd d truth he preach with his music)
(5). Kanu NWankwo. For his contribution to Nigeria football
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Anaegboka(m): 11:03am On Jul 22, 2013
1. Bro. Gbile Akanni
2. Prof. Chinua Achebe.
3. Dim Emeka Ojukwu.
4. Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala.
5. Great Ogboru.
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by notinmege: 11:06am On Jul 22, 2013
God the Father, The Son & The Holy Spirit
Prof Dora Akunyili
Prof Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Lat Prof Chinua Achebe of blessed memory
&
His Exc Owelle Rochas Okorocha
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Nweike1: 11:18am On Jul 22, 2013
Dr D.K. Olukoya has to be on this list

1 Like

Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 22, 2013
notinmege: God the Father, The Son & The Holy Spirit
Prof Dora Akunyili
Prof Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Lat Prof Chinua Achebe of blessed memory
&
His Exc Owelle Rochas Okorocha
The topic says 5 not 7. BTW are d first 3 Nigerians?
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 22, 2013
Murtala Mohammad, Umar Musa Yar'adua, Chinua Achebe, Aliko Dangote, my dad!
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by emmasege: 12:03pm On Jul 22, 2013
Myself
Gbile Akanni
Mathew Asimolowo
Obasanjo
David Mark
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Achiles: 12:25pm On Jul 22, 2013
William Folorunsho Ikumuyu
Enock Adeboye Adejare
Zik of Africa
Tayo Aderinokun
Olusegun 0basanjo
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by bobzycool(m): 2:09pm On Jul 22, 2013
Obasanjo*1
Ooni of ife*2
pastor adeboye*3
I Babangida*4
me*5
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by alloyonyendi: 2:47pm On Jul 22, 2013
Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye, Late (Chief) Odumegwu Ojukwu, Dr. (Mrs.) Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Aliko Dangote, Olusegun Obasanjo.
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by MicroBox: 3:10pm On Jul 22, 2013
Banderas:

Denex, learn your history. Learn it properly.

1) Uthman enslaved more Nigerians than the british did. They were "mailed" over to Arabia. And islamic rule can NEVER be democratic.
2) Zik cut a deal with the british to "unite" with the north. It was a british vision, not a Zik-ish one.
3) Aminu Kano hardly even knew what he was doing. He was a puppet in the arms of his masters.

The other two I'll possibly agree with,
What is democratic about our system of government in Nigeria.i.e
Governors to Obasanjo:- no automatic ticket for Jonathan,
Obasanja pass power to Late President Yar'adua(may his soul rest in piece) just to compesate the Yar'adua family over the death of his friend friend,the big yar'adua.
Amechi and jonathan
Amechi mother:- patient jonathan(funny right but that is what she said "Amechi is my son"wink.
EeeeeTtttttttCccccc
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Gunntoy: 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2013
1. W. F. Kumuyi

2. King Sunny Ade

3. Zik of Africa

4. Sanusi Lamido (CBN)

5. Rotimi Amaechi
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Mospring(m): 3:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
denex: 1) Uthman Ibn Fodee (Usman Dan Fodio): for his ability to conquer and unite all the Hausa states of Nigeria into one Caliphate. For his great books on philosophy, warfare and economics (if not for his books, Oyibo for still dey claim say na dem teach us how to read and write). For his democratic and republic Sultanate system of government and for his wisdom in retiring and handing over power in due time.

2) Pat Utomi: for studying the uniqueness of Nigeria and solving problems according to the Unique culture, people and terrain.

3) Mallam Aminu Kano: for his sincere effort and personal sacrifice at alleviating the problems of the masses.

4) Nnamdi Azikiwe: totally without any tribal bias. He focused on the big picture.

5) Jaja of Opobo & Nana of Itsekiri: for having great insight in quickly shifting the Economy from Slave Trade to Oil Palm trade without friction.
I respect Governor Nana of Itsekiri for handling the Niger-Delta problem which is seeming impossible today.
Especially though, I respect King Jaja of Opobo for giving up his life just to return to the motherland even though he was certain that the British would kill him en route from exile.
King Jaja of Opobo was the only leader in the world not to sign his people into colonialism on the basis of the inability of the British to adequately define the words "Protectorate" and "Protection" as contained in the document.
u re on point bawse!!!!
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by ayusbobs(m): 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2013
The list goes:
Fela
Chioma Ajunwa
Rashidi Yekini
Mercy Akide
Chinua Achebe
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by tenderpeter: 8:12pm On Jul 22, 2013
1-williams folorunsho kumuyi (most dynamic and foremost world preacher). 2-chinua achebe 3- bola ige 4-murtala mohamed 5- ken saro wiwa
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Firstgentleman1(m): 8:59pm On Jul 22, 2013
2face IDIBIA

Kanu NWAKWO

Olusegun OBASANJO

My DAD

My MUM
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Jesslord: 12:21am On Jul 23, 2013
Ma dad- eld k.o ngwobia ma mum-eld olanma k.o chinedu kay
chimeriri kay-me
chinua achebe- there waz a country (a personal history of biafra.
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by t2luv: 3:51am On Jul 23, 2013
For this Yoruba boy. It has to be

Late Odumegwu Ojukwu

The man has balls to fight injustice at a time when not many people were aware of it. I respect a man like that.
Re: Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? by Nobody: 6:04am On Jul 23, 2013
Me
Pastor Tunde Bakare
Prof. Wole Soyinka
GBile Akani
Tupac Amaru Sharkur (late), in diaspora.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Desmond Elliot Thanks Tinubu, Others Again As He Sits In Lagos House Of Assembly / 2019: More Picture From Jigawa Atiku PDP Rally / Femi Kuti: Peter Obi Came To Appologise For The Actions Of His Supporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.