Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,027 members, 7,807,039 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together (45705 Views)

Is Duck Farming Very Lucrative In Nigeria / Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming / Duck Farming: Why It Is A Good Alternative To Chicken. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 6:59pm On Mar 20, 2023
Hello lovers of Agriculture and livestocks.

This thread is particularly dedicated to you all.

I have been a livestock farmer for years and my stock bank and expertise includes Rabbits, Goats, Piggery, Cattle and poultry.

Recently, as a form of response to the economic harshness we have been experiencing, I decided to research into a livestock farming that could yield so much with very minimal input and I found one in the category of poultry which is duck farming.

The journey has started already and I just wouldn't like to travel all alone as I have practically done in all other aspects of livestock farming I operate.

This time, I want every lover of livestock, particularly duck lovers, to journey with me, share with me, rejoice with me and benefit from me. I also want to learn from you: I want to hear your criticisms and suggestions.

Meanwhile, please I abhor criticisms without suggestive solutions or promising ideas.

The goal here is simple!

It is about an alternative farming with 'little input' and maximum output. Can we have cheaper quality meats? Can we have cheaper quality eggs? What inputs will be required to attain reasonable commercial quantities?

Well, together we will see how it goes: together we will answer these questions but so far, I started with 10 Muscovies @2month Old.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Praisepriest: 7:17pm On Mar 20, 2023
Pictures please
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 7:24pm On Mar 20, 2023
When I got them

2 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 7:27pm On Mar 20, 2023
I made this housing myself. The idea is to cage them but still let them have a feel of nature

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by overdrive(m): 7:41pm On Mar 20, 2023
Is there market for the meat?where are you based?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 7:44pm On Mar 20, 2023
More

2 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by gaby(m): 7:46pm On Mar 20, 2023
Olugids:

I have been a livestock farmer for years and my stock bank and expertise includes Rabbits, Goats, Piggery, Cattle and poultry.

Recently, as a form of response to the economic harshness we have been experiencing, I decided to research into a livestock farming that could yield so much with very minimal input and I found one in the category of poultry which is duck farming.

The journey has started already and I just wouldn't like to travel all alone as I have practically done in all other aspects of livestock farming I operate.

This time, I want every lover of livestock, particularly duck lovers, to journey with me, share with me, rejoice with me and benefit from me. I also want to learn from you: I want to hear your criticisms and suggestions.

Meanwhile, please I abhor criticisms without suggestive solutions or promising ideas.

The goal here is simple!

It is about an alternative farming with 'little input' and maximum output. Can we have cheaper quality meats? Can we have cheaper quality eggs? What inputs will be required to attain reasonable commercial quantities?

Well, together we will see how it goes: together we will answer these questions but so far, I started with 10 Muscovies @2month Old.

Since the week passed, my head and dreams has been farming, farming, and farming.

I hope to find a farm like yours and a mentor to take me through the ropes.

I just want to live a simple life surrounded by nature and all it has to offer.

I don tire for all these noisy fast-paced and tortuos rigmarole life in a rat-race style.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 7:47pm On Mar 20, 2023
One of them died just about four 3 days after I brought them in

I suspect it was starvation. I couldn't get feed for them on time and by the time I did, it was too weak to contest for feed. Despite isolating it, it still died.

It's d one in the letter 'O'

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 7:54pm On Mar 20, 2023
I had to conclude that the shavings is a complete error. What would work best in this type of housing would either be gravel or sharp sand.
The pix here only shows d state of the shavings.
I will upload the state of the sharp sand later

2 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 7:58pm On Mar 20, 2023
Ducks don't scratch like chickens, hence the shavings tend to get caky with there poo. Even when I tried to turn the shavings, it wasn't pleasant at all.

The only benefit was that there was a lot of maggots under the shavings for the gang to snack on while I disposed off the shavings. But the 'aroma' no be here(perhaps because of constant water spillage.)

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 8:01pm On Mar 20, 2023
I changed the shavings to sharp sand on Saturday (Guber election day) to sharp sand and added on additional water through for them. The first was kinda high and difficult for them to access but d second water bowl is lower and they have been swimming better.

More pictures later...

6 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 8:04pm On Mar 20, 2023
The dimension for the housing is 4 ft by 6ft. Height is 2.5ft

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 8:05pm On Mar 20, 2023
I will talk on the feeding regime some other time and the operating cost so far.

I hope you are enjoying the flow.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by rainmoredays: 9:44pm On Mar 20, 2023
Signed in
This is what I like

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 20, 2023
Let me register my presence.

I dislike ducks though. They look unpleasant to me, but their meat.. wink

7 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Nobody: 9:50pm On Mar 20, 2023
Olugids:

The goal here is simple!

Pls help us get a better camera in taking your photos. Pls. So that we can fully see how the ducks are growing and the likes.

3 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Waffarianman(m): 10:26pm On Mar 20, 2023
You need to dig bigger bowl on floor and put water in it for them to swim wella

11 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Antibettings: 1:33am On Mar 21, 2023
Following

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Antibettings: 1:34am On Mar 21, 2023
I also have a duck farm. Just that I need more parents stock.

Where did you get all these ones?

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 6:52am On Mar 21, 2023
Miracood2:

Pls help us get a better camera in taking your photos. Pls. So that we can fully see how the duocks are growing and the likes.

The photos will be better going forward. All the pictures I posted where screenshots from videos.
This thread was spontaneous, otherwise I'd have been more intentional about the pictures.

Cheers.

8 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 6:54am On Mar 21, 2023
Antibettings:
I also have a duck farm. Just that I need more parents stock.

Where did you get all these ones?

From a friend's farm.

You can also share one or two things with us on your farm o

3 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 6:58am On Mar 21, 2023
Waffarianman:
You need to dig bigger bowl on floor and put water in it for them to swim wella

Ok...I intend to put something bigger soon. Meanwhile, because of the type of housing, a number of factors, expecially as it relates to changing of the water daily, are at play. But, let's see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 7:15am On Mar 21, 2023
gaby:

Since the week passed, my head and dreams have been farming, farming, and farming.

I hope to find a farm like yours and a mentor to take me through the ropes.

I just want to live a simple life surrounded by nature and all it has to offer.

I don tire for all these noisy fast-paced and tortuos rigmsrole life in a rat-race stydle.

Lovely!
It is good you are on the thread. You will find many mentors as we continue. YouTube too is a good resource if properly navigated

However, you need knowledge and action to make your dream or desire realistic.

You will learn best only by doing(starting). Just start.
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Waffarianman(m): 7:19am On Mar 21, 2023
Olugids:

Ok...I intend to put something bigger soon. Meanwhile, because of the type of housing, a number of factors, expecially as it relates to changing of the water daily, are at play. But, let's see how it goes.

Ok
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Olugids(m): 7:20am On Mar 21, 2023
Miracood2:
Let me register my presence.

I dislike ducks though. They look unpleasant to me, but their meat.. wink

...But their meat!

Biko tell us more about their meat o.

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Antibettings: 7:46am On Mar 21, 2023
Olugids:

From a friend's farm.

You can also share one or two things with us on your farm o

-First thing is that, you should not use garbage feed for them.

Go and buy chikun broiler starter or super starter.

-Always soak their feed in water

-With the proscribed feed above, they should be ready to start laying in few months time.

-Antibiotics is essential with a bowl for swimming

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Antibettings: 7:50am On Mar 21, 2023
I will share you their full house look when I get to farm

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Nobody: 10:45am On Mar 21, 2023
Olugids:

...But their meat!

Very delicious cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by Meajor(m): 2:04am On Mar 22, 2023
Cool... I don perch my tent for here
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by xinhe8888(m): 3:30am On Mar 22, 2023
Please follow me,
Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by MANGAM(m): 1:47pm On Mar 22, 2023
Olugids:

The goal here is simple!

Well, together we will see how it goes: together we will answer these questions but so far, I started with 10

1 Like

Re: Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together by MANGAM(m): 1:49pm On Mar 22, 2023

Plz I need your contact. I also need about 20 of the muscovies ducks in Abuja

Olugids:

...But their meat!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bush Meats From My Farms / My Vegetable Garden Is Under Attack: Help / 100 Acres for sale at Alabata , Abeokuta , Ogun State N250k /Acres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.