Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,794 members, 7,806,195 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work (15964 Views)

Tea-pickers In Kenya Are Destroying Machines Meant To Replace Them In Protest / 200 Thousand Minimum Wage Breakdown By Chatgpt / ChatGPT: Lawyer Gets In Trouble For Using Cases From AI To Present A Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Limassol(m): 4:23pm On Mar 21, 2023
saferesearchs:
what do you think?
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Limassol(m): 4:25pm On Mar 21, 2023
saferesearchs:
what do you think?
I bet you've not use the latest gpt 4 (you seem to be talking about the older gpt 3.5). Until then i urge you to edit your post.

2 Likes

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by PixelPlexus: 4:27pm On Mar 21, 2023
saferesearchs:
As someone who consults for organizations and several individuals on academic and professional research.

I can tell you of the excitement I got when I found out about ChatGPT in November, but this excitement was short-lived because of a serious discovery that could not make me ever use this technology on client work which I am privileged to work on.

The honest truth is that we are all lazy, including the expert too, and having a tool that seems to fix that looks like a relief, but as a senior colleague told me, work will continue to work even with or without the tool. My first discovery was from a work that I thought I have finished fast and after passing it to our standard and compliance department. It has to be returned because it was obviously a lazy job.

You heard that right, not just human that is lazy but AI too, many of the words were just repeated over again. Which was terrible. Doing proper academic research will never have resulted in that.

Second is that the tool was never designed to be used for academic or professional research as it has no reference nor the source original. So this thereby doubles the work of then looking for the material it source, yet the plagiarism is high.

The third which I will rap up to another day is that it is not designed to be perfect many research works are often specific and this tool is just not going to understand that. I could remember asking it obvious details about the CEO of OpenAI the company that designed it and missing it. So relying on such for your academic research can be a disaster, and finally, remember the model it is working with is not updated so you want to desist from using such tools and rather do it yourself or consult a professional.

In conclusion, I am not de-selling the efficacy of the tools. I think it is really powerful and can have a lot of impacts but just trying to enlight you that this generative pre-trained transformer (GPT) with the limited response should not replace during proper research if you want to contribute to the tree of knowledge in your discipline

The expert are they one who are trying to make us lazy.
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by studyless123: 4:28pm On Mar 21, 2023
saferesearchs:

In conclusion, I am not de-selling the efficacy of the tools. I think it is really powerful and can have a lot of impacts but just trying to enlight you that this generative pre-trained transformer (GPT) with the limited response should not replace during proper research if you want to contribute to the tree of knowledge in your discipline

I use Google Bard more than ChatGPT and found it very effective. These are collaborative tools.
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by eeithis(m): 4:35pm On Mar 21, 2023
You never use chatgpt 4 if u do u wouldn't post this

1 Like

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by ariesbull: 4:38pm On Mar 21, 2023
hoW MANY OF THESE CLOWNS KNOW WHAT CHATGPT is

Well, It will to an extent, it has replaced copywriting and now it is doing coding, the truth is that AI will take over

2 Likes

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by pooozeee(m): 4:41pm On Mar 21, 2023
I still don't understand how this Open AI is so intelligent. I used it to do some programming stuff and it worked very well, providing a fast and accurate response to my questions.

Plagiarism is not a problem for me, I have found a way of avoiding it with some technical tools too.

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Pious101: 4:46pm On Mar 21, 2023
chinoify:
You will delete this post, when you lay hands on ChatGPT- 4... You possibly used the free version.
Sub for the paid version, choose the GPT - 4 model, use the right prompts, oga... you will re-edit this post.
I bought 1400 ChatGPT prompts, devoured and started implementation. I can tell you for free that I have created quality fiction and non fiction books.
ChatGPT -4 gives citations if you use the right prompts.
ChatGPT is all about prompts, most especially the paid version with Gpt-4 model.
Selah!
can u possibly give an example of the right prompt u use for it not to produce fake reference and citation?
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by membranus: 4:46pm On Mar 21, 2023
I was awed when my daughter showed the wizardry of this app just this afternoon in answering essay topics. We tested it and it produced accurate and informed reports.

But thanks to the OP for bringing out the apparent defects in the use of it for research purposes.
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Teeroyzimma: 4:49pm On Mar 21, 2023
Votukpa:
Nigerians just don't give a damn about this, clearly.

ChatGPT has improved my work by a great measure.
Ok Americana

1 Like

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by nosagold(m): 4:50pm On Mar 21, 2023
Lol!!! It already did!

1 Like

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by igbsam(m): 4:51pm On Mar 21, 2023
eeithis:
You never use chatgpt 4 if u do u wouldn't post this

Make una post how to get this Chatgpt 4 una dey talk about. Many of una na still 3.5 una dey use

1 Like

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Alphaman007: 4:52pm On Mar 21, 2023
igbsam:

Make una post how to get this Chatgpt 4 una dey talk about. Many of una na still 3.5 una dey use
i used 3.5 to build a portfolio website in less than 30min. It depends on how you write the prompt weather 3.5 or 4
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by igbsam(m): 4:56pm On Mar 21, 2023
Alphaman007:

i used 3.5 to build a portfolio website in less than 30min. It depends on how you write the prompt weather 3.5 or 4

You're smart. This is what should be said. Not those saying you have not use 4 blah blah blah.

2 Likes

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by ecolime(m): 5:00pm On Mar 21, 2023
membranus:
I was awed when my daughter showed the wizardry of this app just this afternoon in answering essay topics. We tested it and it produced accurate and informed reports.

But thanks to the OP for bringing out the apparent defects in the use of it for research purposes.
Wait till the day your daughter and all the kids in her class submit the same essay cheesy

I use ChatGPT, but still recraft some lines.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by tainot2002(m): 5:03pm On Mar 21, 2023
Chatgpt is the new face of google that makes your research work easy. With the introduction of Artificial intelligence (AI),you can run series of program in Excel formulas.

I have a video on it on YouTube and see how it makes Microsoft excel integration with the use of chatgpt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jdtSNRorU
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by qanda: 5:07pm On Mar 21, 2023
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Themandator: 5:07pm On Mar 21, 2023
saferesearchs:
As someone who consults for organizations and several individuals on academic and professional research.

I can tell you of the excitement I got when I found out about ChatGPT in November, but this excitement was short-lived because of a serious discovery that could not make me ever use this technology on client work which I am privileged to work on.

The honest truth is that we are all lazy, including the expert too, and having a tool that seems to fix that looks like a relief, but as a senior colleague told me, work will continue to work even with or without the tool. My first discovery was from a work that I thought I have finished fast and after passing it to our standard and compliance department. It has to be returned because it was obviously a lazy job.

You heard that right, not just human that is lazy but AI too, many of the words were just repeated over again. Which was terrible. Doing proper academic research will never have resulted in that.

Second is that the tool was never designed to be used for academic or professional research as it has no reference nor the source original. So this thereby doubles the work of then looking for the material it source, yet the plagiarism is high.

The third which I will rap up to another day is that it is not designed to be perfect many research works are often specific and this tool is just not going to understand that. I could remember asking it obvious details about the CEO of OpenAI the company that designed it and missing it. So relying on such for your academic research can be a disaster, and finally, remember the model it is working with is not updated so you want to desist from using such tools and rather do it yourself or consult a professional.

If you want reference use the Microsoft version on bing or edge

It has many advantages over the actual CHATGPT. E. G, it is up to date and comes with references you can cite unlike bing

However , the latest version of the ChatGPT has done enough to clean out many faults of the 3.5 , still it is alway better to do direct research and write

Another thing Is that you need to ask questions it understands , correctly ...it is called prompts ..more like professionally written questions

Employ
1. Thesaurus
2 Verb

To tweak the prompts until it delivers

Wait for bard ...it just got rolled out today for UK and US

Goggle remains the best in terms od resources

1 Like

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Burchester: 5:07pm On Mar 21, 2023
Following
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Themandator: 5:08pm On Mar 21, 2023
tainot2002:
Chatgpt is the new face of google that makes your research work easy. With the introduction of Artificial intelligence (AI),you can run series of program in Excel formulas.

I have a video on it on YouTube and see how it makes Microsoft excel integration with the use of chatgpt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jdtSNRorU

ChatGPT is not from Google, can't be the new face
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by qanda: 5:10pm On Mar 21, 2023
Timiolutomi:
ChatGPT is no different from Google Search, Only that it has been trained to respond conversationally.

It also takes away guesswork that is done when a person inserts a Search query into a Google search bar.

Of course, it cannot be used for research purposes and that is because, CGPT does not dig up information from thin air, it can only serve data based on already existing data.

Its Generative feature, which makes it look as though it is interacting how humans interact with each other is because it learns new 'Chat' or interactive patterns.

So If you use this AI tool for research purposes, what do expect it to print out?

Wrong or Outdated data...

It is not the same as Google search pls.

1 Like

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Chatgpt: 5:10pm On Mar 21, 2023
I am here
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Chatgpt: 5:11pm On Mar 21, 2023
I am not replaceable
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Chatgpt: 5:12pm On Mar 21, 2023
Themandator:

ChatGPT is not from Google, can't be the new face

I am taking over from google
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Themandator: 5:14pm On Mar 21, 2023
Chatgpt:

I am taking over from google

How ?
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by ValeeLove(m): 5:17pm On Mar 21, 2023
chinoify:
You will delete this post, when you lay hands on ChatGPT- 4... You possibly used the free version.
Sub for the paid version, choose the GPT - 4 model, use the right prompts, oga... you will re-edit this post.
I bought 1400 ChatGPT prompts, devoured and started implementation. I can tell you for free that I have created quality fiction and non fiction books.
ChatGPT -4 gives citations if you use the right prompts.
ChatGPT is all about prompts, most especially the paid version with Gpt-4 model.
Selah!
can we get copies of the said books?
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by majesticguy: 5:21pm On Mar 21, 2023
ecolime:

Wait till the day your daughter and all the kids in her class submit the same essay cheesy

That's exactly the point. Since it's the same prompt, it's invariably going to be the same solution all through.

Using a tool like this, one has to be smart and creative with the prompts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Kobicove(m): 5:21pm On Mar 21, 2023
I also do not believe that AI tools can replace proper research
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Adeling(m): 5:34pm On Mar 21, 2023
majesticguy:

That's exactly the point. Since it's the same prompt, it's invariably going to be the same solution all through.

Using a tool like this, one has to be smart and creative with the prompts.

It won't give exactly the same point word for word, but you can easily tell they're not unique.

There's is a way ChatGPT can be use to deliver unique content for any research work with no repetition and to any number of words ......but that's a secret within the 9 clans 😶
Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by alllivesmatter(m): 5:35pm On Mar 21, 2023
Bro...Chatgpt should relied upon as a tool and not replace what's to be done for you.

It gives you an idea on what to write. You combine it with traditional research methods and procedures and you're good to go.

Before submitting your work, always check for plagiarism or outrightly paraphrase the contents generated from CHATGPT and verify the references. It's a sure thing.

It's not meant to be copy and paste.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Chatgpt Replace Doing Traditional Research Work by Limassol(m): 5:36pm On Mar 21, 2023
esemes256:
Give the tool just two years. Either it takes half of your job roles or it replaces you completely. Just give it some time. While you are sleeping, it is constantly learning.
This is a sweet take! I think gpt 5 will be released before the end of this year( incase you were'nt aware gpt-4 was released a few days ago and it's utterly mind-blowing).

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? / Aero contractors sacks 100 workers Outsourced By Skyborne / Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.