Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. (4309 Views)

Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled. / Malaysia Visit Visa And Ticket / Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Nobody: 2:04am On Sep 18, 2011
I am making this post in response to a different post where OP had previously submitted a United States visa application with wrong vital information along with her fingerprints. Her application was declined accordingly. Now, she is wondering how to come clean for her mistake with the Americans. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-759710.0.html

Something similar had happened to me in the United States. I submitted a bogus refugee claim along with my fingerprints. This bogus refugee claim was still pending when I decided to move to Canada. (I had my permanent residence status in Canada through my family).

However, I didn’t want to leave the United States with the full knowledge that the US immigration had my fingerprints on a bogus refugee claim. I knew full well this would definitely come back to bite me at a most unexpected moment. Therefore, I wanted to correct my wrongdoing with the Americans before moving to Canada.

The only way to withdraw my bogus refugee claim was to tell the truth to a United States immigration judge. However, all the lawyers I met strongly discouraged me from doing that and advised me to leave the matter as it was. Because, by law, making false refugee claim in the United States is a criminal offense that would result in fine, prison and permanent bar from receiving any future immigration benefit. I was in deep water.

Nevertheless, I had this strange feeling that I had to come clean regardless of the outcome. I couldn’t be at peace with myself if this matter wasn’t resolved after leaving for Canada. Against all odds and hope, I follow my gut feeling. I went on and told the truth to the United States immigration judge who was assigned my case. To my surprise, after confessing the truth to the judge, the entire episode took a very strange path.
(See details in my next post)

My conclusion for this matter is that a forum like Nairaland is a great place to gather useful information in regard to immigration and Visa issues. But, above all, people should not underestimate their gut feeling. Each one of us is a unique individual on the planet, with a very unique destiny, a unique story, a unique chance … what may work out for everyone may never work out for you. Conversely, what may work out for you, may never work out for anyone else. There is only one “you” on the planet.

Just as the say goes, he who follows the crowd will never go further than the crowd. But, he who walks alone may probably end up in a place where no man had ever been before.

To be continued

1 Like

Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by damola1: 9:35am On Sep 18, 2011
what is all this congolese suspense, na moto u dey sell ?
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Nobody: 1:44am On Sep 19, 2011
Few other strange visa cases I know of:

Case 1:
A man went to the US embassy in Kinshasa, DR Congo, to apply for a visa. After the interview, he was told that his application was declined.
The man refused to collect his passport and told the embassy that they should keep it.
He argued that the only reason he got a passport was to travel to the United States.
And since the embassy didn’t want to grant him the visa, the embassy may as well keep the passport. For, his passport was no longer of any use without a US visa.
The man left the embassy leaving his passport behind.
Few days later, a car from the embassy came to deliver his passport at his house.
Lo and behold, the visa was in the passport.

Case 2:
There is a Congolese medical doctor who lives and works here in Canada.
He got his permanent residence in Canada through very strange set of circumstances.

Before he came to Canada, he was living in South Africa.
Then, one day, his daughter who was living in Canada was about to get married.
The Canadian embassy in South Africa denied him the visa to attend his daughter’s wedding. Nevertheless, the doctor was able to acquire a United States Visa.
He flew to the United States and from there he was able to cross the Canadian border illegally to attend his daughter wedding. While in Canada, he got an offer of employment at a hospital. But, without legal status, he couldn’t work in Canada. He had to return to South Africa to apply for work visa and the process could have taken 2 years.

The day he was returning to the United States to take his flight back to South Africa, he encountered a problem at the Canada-US checkpoint. Though the doctor had a valid visa to re-enter the US, the US immigration became suspicious.
The Americans didn’t understand how the doctor was coming from Canada with no Canadian Visa nor stamp in his passport. Therefore, the US authorities handed him to their Canadians counterpart. 

At the US-Canada border, the doctor found himself in an interview room explaining his ordeal to 2 Canadians border agents. He was subject to thorough questioning. They went into full details as to how he entered Canada, why he came to Canada, his family background, his profession, his life …

After the Canadian border agents had checked the offer of employment the doctor had received from the hospital, the doctor was granted a permanent residence status on the spot. He became permanent resident of Canada at the US-Canada border and had no longer had to return to South Africa.  From the US-Canada border, he returned to Canada to start his new life in Canada.

Case 3:
A family member walked in the US embassy in Kinshasa, DR Congo, to apply for a visa.  She had no document to support her application, no bank statement, no invitation letter, no hotel reservation, nothing at all but just the words of her mouth and her passport.

She was asked by the interviewer what she was going to do in the US.
She responded that she was going to visit her son.
The interviewer asked what her son was doing in the US. The lady responded that her son was in School.
The interviewer wanted to know the name of her son’s school. And the lady didn’t know.
Then the interviewer asked few question about the lady’s husband.
In less than 5 minutes, the interview was done and the lady was granted the US Visa.

Case 4

I will come back with the details about the case of my bogus refugee application I had submitted in the United States.

In the meantime, it would be nice to hear from other people who can tell us about strange visas and immigrations cases they know of.
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by fbiswagger: 9:39am On Sep 19, 2011
Wow! I believe in miracles!
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by damola1: 9:54am On Sep 19, 2011
Absolutely, miracles are happen every day, and I am grateful to God for his exceptional being, but you should understand, humans decide, so 1. Human emotional status has a huge effect on decisions, 2. Humans are prone to errors,
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Knight2(m): 11:47pm On Sep 19, 2011
I believe in God, 4dat, Anytin is possible,
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Nobody: 12:17am On Sep 26, 2011
The strangest event I have ever witnessed in my entire life happened inside a United States Immigration court located at 26 Federal Plaza in New York City in 2002 – 2003. What happened to my case was just mind-boggling. I knew that no system in the world was perfect as every system was riddled with some cracks and holes. However, I never expected to witness a crack of this magnitude from the US immigration. I was astonished beyond belief.

My asylum application was referred to a United States immigration judge who would determine if my case had any merit. The judge would determine if I might be granted refugee Status in the United States based on the information that I provided in my refugee claim. A hearing date was set. On the date of the hearing, instead of defending my refugee application, I decided to tell the judge the truth.

I revealed to the judge that the entire application before him was bogus and the story was made up. I didn’t come to the United States in 2001 as indicated in the bogus application. I came to the United Stated in 1989 as a teenager on Student Visa and I had been living in the States continuously ever since. I went on and gave the judge evidences of my first entry into the United States in 1989 including my real identity which was not what I put on the bogus refugee claim. After hearing my confession, the United States government attorney was on his feet to charge me with fraud.

Then came the bombshell; the judge refused to sustain the charge that the United States government attorney was laying against me. In the eyes of the court and the judge, there was no evidence of fraud in spite of my own confession and all evidences provided. As a result of this, no adverse action could have been taken against me by the United States government. I was dumbfounded.

My case initially appeared to be a simple confession of fraud from which I was about to beg for mercy. But, instead it turned into something complex that lasted 8 to 12 months during which time the United States government failed to prove to the judge that the bogus refugee claim was indeed fraudulent and this in spite of the evidences that I submitted. A crack in the system made it virtually impossible for the judge to accept any charge that could be lay against me by the United States government. A crack in the system made it impossible for the judge to accept that my bogus asylum claim was indeed fraudulent.

This is my story:

I first came to New York in 1989 on a student visa. In 1996, I applied for refugee status in the United States under my real name and my refugee claim was rejected before an immigration judge in 1998. Then, I appealed the judge’s decision to the Board of Immigration Appeals.

My appeals to the board took a long time to be processed. 1998 turned into 2001 and I still hadn’t heard from the board. I grew frustrated. This is when the idea of submitting a fresh refugee claim under a bogus identity crossed my mind.

After flirting and wresting with the idea, I got myself a new name and made a fictitious refugee claim around March of 2002. In the bogus refugee claim, I alleged that I had come to the United States in September of 2001 fleeing persecution in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

After I sent the bogus asylum application to the Immigration, I received a notice to go to an Application Support Center to have my fingerprints scanned. Then after that, I received a notice to appear for an interview.

(To be continued)
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by claremont(m): 12:32am On Sep 26, 2011
What's the point of this thread?! Is it to encourage people to trust in miracles when submitting bogus asylum applications or what?! All the cases you mentioned are indeed strange, but what is the likelihood of the outcome of these cases replicating itself for an average illegal immigrant?!

We should be encouraging people to migrate legally, not telling them to trust in miracles and tooth fairies!
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Nobody: 12:42am On Sep 26, 2011
claremont:

What's the point of this thread?! Is it to encourage people to trust in miracles when submitting bogus asylum applications or what?! All the cases you mentioned are indeed strange, but what is the likelihood of the outcome of these cases replicating itself for an average illegal immigrant?!

We should be encouraging people to migrate legally, not telling them to trust in miracles and tooth fairies!

Your comments have been noted. Nevertheless, I just feel like to share with the world some mind-boggling experiences.

Thanks Claremont
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by usask4life: 8:43pm On Jan 04, 2012
Its like u need more audience buddy, Are u a story writer? Why d pause and to be contd issue? It makes d whole thing boring buddy, Cook up another scheme,
Shallom,
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Lasinoh: 10:43am On Jan 05, 2012
Once you tell lies or misrepresent the information on your application forms and you are caught, you will need the services of an attorney to proceed. Only legal counsel can tall you your options. kiss
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Lasinoh: 10:54am On Jan 05, 2012
Had an ex-friend once who lied that she was married in Nigeria with 2 children. She was given a US visitor's visa on those accounts. After a few years in the US. . . she decided to get married for real. One of the requirements was to show proof of divorce from her former spouse in Nigeria. She could not provide either the marriage certificate or the divorce papers. She could have divorced the imaginary spouse by an intent to divorce petition with a publication in the newspaper for 60 days.

She was impatient to do that and wait 60 days. . . .
She decided to tell the truth and nothing but the truth against legal counsel.

THE JUDGE ORDERED HER TO DEPORT HERSELF. . . OR FACE DEPORTATION FROM HOMELAND SECURITY.
Don't know what became of her after that. I know she got married here in the US not long after that, because I was her chief's bridesmaid.
But the immigration aspect of her case. . . . I never discussed with her. Too sensitive. kiss
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Lasinoh: 10:58am On Jan 05, 2012
Another dude got an "Oluwole" US visa and came over to the US. . . He got his green card by serving in Iraq.
He filed for his citizenship and was deported during the interview. He never went home to pack his bag as he found himself inside an aircraft bound for Nigeria. kiss

What happened?

His father's name on the Oluwole visa application. . .did not match the one he provided at the interview. embarassed
The immigration officer asked him 3 times.
He never bothered to get a copy of the OLUWOLE visa application. He did not fill it himself.
He had gotten his green card and thought all was well.
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Lasinoh: 11:02am On Jan 05, 2012
Another case had a lady applying for her permanent residency. . . .small problem.
She never bothered to forward her address to Homeland Security when she moved.
She never bothered to follow up when she changed attorneys too.
She had taken a vacation on ' approved parole' . . . only to come back to find that she had been deported in absentia.
He never made it to the court hearing which was scheduled months before she left the country. The final jugdement happened while she was out of the country. . . .UNFORTUNATELY.
She never made it back to her home. kiss
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by dayokanu(m): 8:47am On Jan 06, 2012
Na lasinoh I stalk reach here oo
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by Lasinoh: 5:25pm On Jan 06, 2012
^^^
You nor dey tire to stalk. . . ? cheesy
Na wetin you dey fain?
I wonder how I can get some of this your 'pawa' to derail threads huh? wink
Back to school madness don finish.
Thank God! kiss
Re: Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. by zubeyr(m): 1:07am On Jan 07, 2012
you dey naughty

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Know What Nigeria Looks Like. Post Character Of Nigeria Citizens And / My Jourmey To Ogun Waterside In Ogun State / Places You Don't Want To Visit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.