Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,035 members, 7,799,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) (3924 Views)

Tribunal: Full List Of The Supreme Court Judges Who Declared 25% In FCT A MUST. / INEC Scores Own Goal, Admits 25% In FCT A Must / Without Winning FCT, A President Cannot Be Legally Declared — Ozoani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by bentenny(m): 1:19pm On Mar 24, 2023
Aquila99:

Well, since everyone of us have a different understanding and is misinpretation opinions to both of us. Den we leave it to the Courts to decide.
Its an opinion thread and i am simply expressing mine!
For the highlighted,I totally agree cool cool
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by bentenny(m): 1:24pm On Mar 24, 2023
buharitill2023:
is fct different from "the federation"

Is boy and girl different in the family, are they not giving birth by their parents?

The constitution only indicated fct because is a capital of the federation,

The same way, a girl is identify separately from the boys because of the gender, but the same member of the family,

Fct is also identify separately because is a capital but the same member of the federation,

The "AND" is just for you to add it among the states,

Because if you have 25% in 24 state, you can be declared winner, till you get 25 state
Once again the laws are as explicit about getting 25% in FCT to be declared winner!
That's the reason why all the former presidents either won FCT or attained the mandatory 25% except Tinubu!
Since its a first time a president would not achieve the 25% in FCT,lets wait for the tribunal to decide! cool cool
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Vado2: 2:02pm On Mar 24, 2023
KingsCity:
Let’s say a candidate won 36 states 100% but failed to get 25% in FCT.

Are you telling me this candidate should not be declared president?

So Abuja is now more important than every other state?

Does this make any sense?

Will you be admitted with your SSCE score if you receive all A's but fail to get at least a C6 in mathematics?
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Brendaniel: 2:25pm On Mar 24, 2023
Femmyfamous4u:

The, you'd be flawed. Section 299 already interpreted it. It said " for the purpose of interpretation, the FCT shall be regarded as a state"

As a state for specific purposes such as equity and inclusiveness, the electoral act is clear on this one, The FCT is not a state....
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Brendaniel: 2:37pm On Mar 24, 2023
buharitill2023:
in all school requirements,
It is stated boldly that english and mathematics compulsory before gaining admission,
But the constitution did not use the word mandatory for fct,
Meaning you can win any state, provided is 25 states.
The constitution made 25 states compulsory,
If you get 25% in 24 states, you can't be declared winner

Firstly, Abuja is not a state, secondly they don't need to use the word mandatory like for example look at this statement from a canadian university and ask yourself if it is any different from what is in the constitution

Canadian Universities that accept WAEC in 2023: 1. Brandon University: A minimum of five subjects, including English and mathematics

When such is specified like that it means English and Mathematics is mandatory, which means other subjects can be interchanged to meet the minimum requirement but these 2 cannot be substituted, did you see any word there as mandatory, but if you don't have the English and maths then yo can't gain admission.

Ask yourself which state was mentioned, none, only FCT was mentioned just like the English and Maths here making it mandatory, which means the other 24 states can be interchanged among all the 36 states, but not the FCT, the FCT is the mandatory state to considered winner

So 25% in the FCT is mandatory...
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Brendaniel: 2:40pm On Mar 24, 2023
buharitill2023:
you're confusing yourself,
If you get 25% in 24 state, you can be the declare winner,
But with fct 25% can be use to make up the 25% of 25 states required,

FCT is not a state, FCT is mandatory, I have explained this in your other response...
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by babyfaceafrica: 2:42pm On Mar 24, 2023
Brendaniel:

I don't need to have a degree or qualification to understand or interpret the constitution of Nigeria....

You aren't qualified then to dabble on such issues. Leave that to lawyers
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Hotice085: 2:43pm On Mar 24, 2023
N3TRAL:
What's your qualification?

LL.B?
LL.M?
B.L?
LL.D?

What exactly is your qualification?

Those that wrote the constitution what were their qualifications
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by babyfaceafrica: 2:44pm On Mar 24, 2023
N3TRAL:

Can you mention the decided case. I want to learn.

You don't want to learn, you want to argue
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by babyfaceafrica: 2:47pm On Mar 24, 2023
bentenny:

Tinubu is the only president elect that neither won abuja nor attained the required 25% from FCT!
OBJ won twice in 1999 and 2003
Yaradua won in FCT though results weren't shown up till now due to widespread manipulation of results which Yaradua himself admitted!
GEJ won FCT 58.89% in 2011
Buhari didn't win FCT but attained above the 25% requirement in FCT

How then did you know he won?
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by babyfaceafrica: 2:48pm On Mar 24, 2023
Ofunaofu:

At the bolded, then something is fundamentally wrong with that winning

I am not implying that it is impossible but in an ideal situation if a candidate can win all the 36 states of the federation, getting at least 25% in Abuja FCT shouldn't be a problem

It doesn't work like that
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by buharitill2023: 2:48pm On Mar 24, 2023
Brendaniel:

Firstly, Abuja is not a state, secondly they don't need to use the word mandatory like for example look at this statement from a canadian university and ask yourself if it is any different from what is in the constitution

Canadian Universities that accept WAEC in 2023: 1. Brandon University: A minimum of five subjects, including English and mathematics

When such is specified like that it means English and Mathematics is mandatory, which means other subjects can be interchanged to meet the minimum requirement but these 2 cannot be substituted, did you see any word there as mandatory, but if you don't have the English and maths then yo can't gain admission.

Ask yourself which state was mentioned, none, only FCT was mentioned just like the English and Maths here making it mandatory, which means the other 24 states can be interchanged among all the 36 states, but not the FCT, the FCT is the mandatory state to considered winner

So 25% in the FCT is mandatory...
but my example best this issue,
And you diverted it to equity,

2/3 of 36 boys and girl did not make the girl mandatory
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by bentenny(m): 2:53pm On Mar 24, 2023
babyfaceafrica:

How then did you know he won?
Check the 2011,2015 and 2019 presidential results!
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by snapshot: 2:55pm On Mar 24, 2023
N3TRAL:
What's your qualification?

LL.B?
LL.M?
B.L?
LL.D?

What exactly is your qualification?
The Constitution of Nigeria is not written for people with law degrees.

The Constitution is written for Nigerians,in simple English and any serious minded person should pick a copy and make sense of it
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by babyfaceafrica: 2:56pm On Mar 24, 2023
Strafudeen:

It is impossible , practically impossible to win 36 States and lose fct. How can that happen?

Buhari lost FCT, has 35%.whats hard there. Anyone can lose or win any state
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Strafudeen: 2:57pm On Mar 24, 2023
babyfaceafrica:

Buhari lost FCT, has 35%.whats hard there. Anyone can lose or win any state

Read again , that's not what I said
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Femmyfamous4u(m): 3:00pm On Mar 24, 2023
Brendaniel:

As a state for specific purposes such as equity and inclusiveness, the electoral act is clear on this one, The FCT is not a state....

If you really wanna learn, get the Constitution, look up section 299 in chapter 8. The provision there is that "for the interpretation, the FCT shall be regarded as a state."
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by babyfaceafrica: 3:00pm On Mar 24, 2023
Brendaniel:

If you need a lawyer to always interpret the law for you, then you might have lots of problems with the law....

Even if you are a professor, you need a lawyer to explain the law. We all can make assumptions, but the courts will interpret
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Ofunaofu: 3:17pm On Mar 24, 2023
babyfaceafrica:

It doesn't work like that

If a candidate is so popular to win all the 36 States in Nigeria then getting 25% in FCT ABUJA should not be an issue because those living in FCT ABUJA are Nigerians as well
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Brendaniel: 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2023
babyfaceafrica:

Even if you are a professor, you need a lawyer to explain the law. We all can make assumptions, but the courts will interpret

Oga, it does not mean that you need a lawyer to interpret every existing law for you, there are laws you should be able to read and understand yourself, why don't you go and ask a lawyer to interpret the law for stealing and getting caught...
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by PDJT: 3:32pm On Mar 24, 2023
dat9jaguy:

From your own statement you have contradicted yourself.

[/b]The reason those who wrote the constitution had to still write FCT, Abuja is because they knew it was not a state and so did not count Abuja as a state but a capital, if not they would have stopped the statement at "have not less than 25% of total votes cast in at least two-third of all the States in the Federation".

But they had to stress FCT,Abuja in it to make sure that whoever will interpret the law will know that Abuja was not considered a state when they were referring to "states".[b]

Since FCT is not a state it has to be emphasized along with the other states as part of the federation. So 25% of the states and FCT.
If your argument is correct that means I can win FCT and my opponent wins the remaining 36 states then you will call for rerun

-The part of the constitution he quoted and analysed refers to an election with more than two candidates.

-If the issue you highlighted is the case, i.e you win FCT without your opponent getting at least 25% in FCT Abuja but wins the rest of the states. What happens will be a rerun between the top 2 candidates and a simple majority votes across the country will then decide the election.
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Brendaniel: 3:32pm On Mar 24, 2023
Femmyfamous4u:

If you really wanna learn, get the Constitution, look up section 299 in chapter 8. The provision there is that "for the interpretation, the FCT shall be regarded as a state."

Only In specific situations for equity and inclusiveness, can you show me any document by the FG referring to the FCT as a state?
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Brendaniel: 3:34pm On Mar 24, 2023
babyfaceafrica:

You aren't qualified then to dabble on such issues. Leave that to lawyers

Oga, go and steal and get caught, then get a lawyer to interpret the law on that issue... if you cannot do that because you already can interpret it before doing it then must I need a lawyer to interpret every law for me...
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by Brendaniel: 3:39pm On Mar 24, 2023
buharitill2023:
but my example best this issue,
And you diverted it to equity,

2/3 of 36 boys and girl did not make the girl mandatory

I had to use equity because Abuja is the only place that is not a state, likewise a girl is the only one that is not a boy aside the 36 boys, for equity there has to be special privileges for her when choosing because she will likely always not be chosen when randomly selecting...
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by year2013: 4:24pm On Mar 24, 2023
Why is it that everything about this man called tinubu is complicated. Before, this 25% in FCT was well understood by even a layman in the street. But now because of tinubu Nigerians are seriously being confused the whole thing.

Someone whom his name, age, school he attended are still questionable.
May help us from this ghost called tinubu.
Re: 25% In FCT - A Simple Explanation On Why APC And INEC Have Erred (my Opinion) by babyfaceafrica: 5:13pm On Mar 24, 2023
Ofunaofu:

If a candidate is so popular to win all the 36 States in Nigeria then getting 25% in FCT ABUJA should not be an issue because those living in FCT ABUJA are Nigerians as well

SMH

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Igbo Man's Twitter Reaction After Seeing The Blue Rail Video In Lagos / Presidency Reacts As Emefiele Exposes Beneficiaries Of Massive Corruption In CBN / How To Stop 419?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.