Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? (15571 Views)

Why Was I Not Picked For This Job? / Salary Expectation: Client Service Officer / 4 Way To Answer The Question About Your Salary Expectation In Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by Rubyjade: 11:02am On Mar 27, 2023
Why was I paid lower than my expectation?

📌I once had a salary conversation with someone who recently just got a new job.
He expected a particular amount of money in his account by month end, but he then got something different (an amount lower than his expectation)

📌What really could have happened? This wasn’t what I negotiated. If the company is not low on cash then this can be traced to a communication gap in Gross/Net Salary negotiation.

📌Make sure you KNOW the difference between your gross salary and your net salary. This is key!!!

📌Gross Salary: is the total amount of income you receive from all sources each month.

📌From all sources includes salary, bonuses, overtime, investment income, interests, Social Security and any other income sources.

📌Meanwhile, we can also refer to gross salary as “pay before deductions” This is what you earn BEFORE your taxes are being deducted from it.

📌Net Salary is your ‘take home’ AFTER all reliefs and statutory deductions has been taken care of.

📌Reliefs are meant to reduce the tax burden of a tax payer such as Consolidated Relief Allowance (CRF) which is calculated as thus:

N200,000.00 or 1% of your gross income whichever is higher, plus 20% of your gross income.

📌Statutory Deductions which are your;

1. Pension (8% from the employee and 10% from the employer)

2. National Housing Fund (NHF) (2.5% of your Basic Salary)

3. Pay As You Earn (PAYE) requires a little calculation to be done on your taxable income.

Note

📌Once Pay As You Earn (PAYE) is being deducted from your salary, then you should have a Tax Payer ID.

📌Same with your Pension.

I believe you found this resourceful.

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by olamidedivotee(f): 11:06am On Mar 27, 2023
This is very helpful

We need more post like this on Nairaland's front page.

Nlfpmod, how far

In case anyone needs a quality content writer, kindly check my signature for contact detail.

13 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by felong(m): 11:35am On Mar 27, 2023
That's why there is gross pay and net pay.

Gross pay = Your actual salary

Net pay = Your salary after deductions.

5 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by Isabi4lov: 11:35am On Mar 27, 2023
You just gave an insightful observation. ✌️

2 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by babaRUNtinz(m): 11:36am On Mar 27, 2023
Insightful

2 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by tosinhtml: 11:36am On Mar 27, 2023
Some companies also try to scam their employees by manipulating their gross income to eventually lead to a lower net.

That's why It is always advisable always to confirm your Net before you resign from your former company.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by kingphilip(m): 11:36am On Mar 27, 2023
This is helpful.
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by McLizbae: 11:37am On Mar 27, 2023
Nice
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by xeratech: 11:37am On Mar 27, 2023
what of people who are not earning anything

15 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by fixitbyjal(m): 11:37am On Mar 27, 2023
I fix faulty iphone panels Contact me via siggy below
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by fixitbyjal(m): 11:38am On Mar 27, 2023
Isabi4lov:
wink

Wassup bae long time
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by itoldu: 11:38am On Mar 27, 2023
In summary, ask for what your NET salary is as well when negotiating. Very helpful
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by concacid: 11:38am On Mar 27, 2023
Weldone Rubyjade.

1 Like

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 11:39am On Mar 27, 2023
[quote author=Rubyjade post=122094749][/quote]

These calculations no concern people like Obi Cubana, E-money, Jowizaza and the majority of Igbos.
Na civil servants wey dey shout Yes Sir/Yes Ma dey depend on Government salary e concern grin.

6 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by EriMma1: 11:40am On Mar 27, 2023
Ok.

Both gross and net, no one reach person again for this country.
Hmmm...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by sandammy(m): 11:40am On Mar 27, 2023
How can one go, about it, when it's discovered that the, employee pays the whole 18% from his salary?

2 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by oluseyiforjesus(m): 11:41am On Mar 27, 2023
I wish you go to. Court

2 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by ACRI: 11:41am On Mar 27, 2023
Depends on your negotiation power

2 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by Isabi4lov: 11:41am On Mar 27, 2023
fixitbyjal:

Wassup bae long time
I dey o , how your side ?
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by meum: 11:43am On Mar 27, 2023
True.
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by EriMma1: 11:44am On Mar 27, 2023
felong:
That's why there is gross pay and net pay.

Gross pay = Your actual salad

Net pay = Your pay after deductions.

No be only salad, na colselaw. grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by iamoyindamola(m): 11:45am On Mar 27, 2023
Cool
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by EriMma1: 11:46am On Mar 27, 2023
oluseyiforjesus:
I wish you go to. Court

Go to court for what?
Were you not given a letter of appointment with everything clearly stated therein?

See, you people should learn to talk and bargain firmly during interview, them no go flog una.

When you go to face a board interview, be confident and bold. Don't let all those their suites and packet shirts intimidate you. Ask questions. The ones that concern you the most like salary and annual leave before leaving.

I remember asking a board about the salary and they tried to tell me they will get back to me. I stood my ground and said no. I need to know now as tht is what will determine if I'll accept the job or not and also to help me prepare for it in time. They all looked dazed but I don't care. The company lawyer now smiled and said ok, this is what we pay for that position.

I go as far as telling some companies that I don't like delayed payment cos that is where I will have problem with them and withdraw my services without hesitation. Some will say, miss you too like money. Start fest grin. Ha I no dey joke with my money tongue.

Be bold.

9 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by Ayemileto(m): 11:47am On Mar 27, 2023
Rubyjade:

A

I will like to ask, can you help share resources on how to calculate TAX on a PAYE model?

1 Like

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by Mustaphaarome: 11:49am On Mar 27, 2023

My former company has not paid my pension contributions couple with their own contributions too for the past 7 years I worked with them 3 months after leaving them now

Any advice please

1 Like

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by StormpyBee: 11:50am On Mar 27, 2023
grin
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by Nonso92(m): 11:51am On Mar 27, 2023
Looks like i need to see my HR

1 Like

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by stano2(m): 11:51am On Mar 27, 2023
DaddyFreeze2020:

These calculations no concern people like Obi Cubana, E-money, Jowizaza and the majority of Igbos.
Na civil servants wey dey shout Yes Sir/Yes Ma dey depend on Government salary e concern grin.
So for your mind, they didn’t pass through this phase abi.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by occfx: 11:54am On Mar 27, 2023

To work company work again no dey hungry me but if I still see better work I go work

2 Likes

Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by Aremwayne: 11:56am On Mar 27, 2023
sad
Re: Why Was I Paid Lower Than My Expectation? by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 11:56am On Mar 27, 2023

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Proper To Dress In Native Attire To An Interview On A Friday / Please Help With Your Candid Opinion / 25 Fantastic Organisations To Work With That Did Not Make Jobberman List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.