Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,787 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

My Lackluster Interview Story - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Lackluster Interview Story (10233 Views)

My Botched Interview Story / Job Hunt Lackluster"why You Haven't Got Called After Numerous Application"(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 11:21am On Mar 27, 2023
My Lackluster Interview Story

A few years ago,I saw an advert for a job and I applied , as I got into the Interview room , one of my Interviewers was my friend in the Uni , She told the panel she knows me and declined the Interview

I never knew she worked there neither did She also know I was the candidate prior to the Session. The other Interviewers had the Session with me, and I scaled through to meet with their Client . Story for another day

Now , that is the interesting part , I was requested to attend the Interview at 12 noon and in my custom , I got there 30 minutes before the Session. I was wondering what was going on when I saw many people seated

I am quite perceptive, so I started studying the environment, I observed most of the candidates seem restless , like they had been waiting for long .

I waited till when it was15 minutes past the Interview time , and no one had reached out to me , I proactively approached the person at the reception, who told me,to be patient , it was glaring there was no HR Team, in the organisation or if there was , they are definitely not doing a great job

Moving on , 1 hour, 2 hours , at that time , being the Sanguine that I was and my investigation skills coming to bear , I struck a conversation with the people sitting around me , how long have you been here , I asked ?

To my surprise , I was dazed to realise some had waited for the Session since 8am, others, 9am , I was like what ? I was just weak

Now imagine waiting for 2 hours plus for a Session , I became desperate, how will I justify waiting for so long and not achieve it .The determination turned to anger and after waiting for 4 hours , I decided to exit , churn this to experience I said to myself

The lady at the reception kept begging me to wait , and flippantly mentioned their ED who was the interviewer was on a flight back to Nigeria . What ! I said to myself, this is too much for one person to suffer. For God's sake . Why do people do these?

Anyways , as I proceeded to exit , I saw someone alighting from a car and my mind told me this is person that has troubled you all day ,just wait 😂

I went back had another 1 hour plus waiting and we had the Session which I never enjoyed, whether it was the whole waiting or the person

By the way the Interviewer did not apologise, I would never do that. Immediately I finished , I said to myself, even if this company is the highest paying company in the whole world, should they treat anyone like this?

If you are an Interviewer and fond of delaying candidates because you think they need jobs, or erroneously believe there are no jobs , I will advise you change and do better

By the way sometimes it's not HR's fault , it's the Recruiting Team causing delays and HR can not do that work alone

Let's do better and take Interviews as an important part of a job

IT - March 2023

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Kekenary: 11:36am On Mar 27, 2023
It is well.

2 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Mercury12(m): 11:36am On Mar 27, 2023
Pele

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by zest17(m): 11:38am On Mar 27, 2023
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by pman06(m): 11:38am On Mar 27, 2023
Hmmm. I'd have been angry and left since sef. You're more patient.

6 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by devilmaycry: 11:38am On Mar 27, 2023
cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by CodeTemplar: 11:39am On Mar 27, 2023
Bad. Interview is suppose to be about guaging suitability to job roles and not testing of patience senselessly.
What if a job applicant has other pressing needs he has to meet that same day. Can't a dad or mom with kids at school go for interview again?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Clean2016: 11:40am On Mar 27, 2023
I won't wait

3 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Snowx: 11:47am On Mar 27, 2023
This IT-2023 ata the end though

Are you a student of Digital witch organize by Ekwy??

1 Like

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by raphretle: 11:47am On Mar 27, 2023
You should be happy cus at the end of the day it didn't turn out to be those GNLD and NEOLIFE people...

12 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Angelfrost(m): 11:47am On Mar 27, 2023
That's what you get in a nation where there are no stringent labor laws!

A nation where the courts are not available for the cause of the average citizen.

If laws existed and the Judiciary were up to her duties, such nonsense wouldn't be this common... In fact, a lot of nonsense would have stopped, especially abuse of power and office.

Most of these job recruiters clearly have no regard for applicants.... They see y'all as miserable and lowly beggars!

14 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by dfrost: 11:48am On Mar 27, 2023
Hmm...

I know, it's not easy to handle, I'm not in your shoes either. But always hear the other person's perspective (in this instance, the interviewer).
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Isabi4lov: 11:48am On Mar 27, 2023
Hmmm!!
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Hotice085: 11:52am On Mar 27, 2023
I blame seun for this nonsense
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Biglogo(m): 11:55am On Mar 27, 2023
We were served lunch when they knew we have been waiting for a while
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by lazynairalander1: 11:57am On Mar 27, 2023
This reminds me of my first interview as a graduate, after my service November last year I was determined not to go back home, rented an apartment by December I contracted one of this job agents in Zone3.
Same December he sent me an address for interview for me in one hotel like that in asokoro(let me not mention the unserious hotel's name). Man was calling telling me to go early ooo.
For my mind God don show me love. Serve finish in Nov and wan start work Dec for Naija. 😂😂🤣🤣

I got there before 9 as he instructed, we stayed there for over 8hrs waiting for Oga, aged and unremorseful being who triples as CEO, HR & Hiring manager.
I stayed till the end to see what their plans are exactly, man came around 5pm and did the interview, left there and swear anything hotel work(never tried it, never will) and thank God for tech I believe I will there some day.
I will never understand how some persons will keep you waiting just because you wanted to work for them.
Hiring managers/employers need to do better,

4 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by mboy4real(m): 11:58am On Mar 27, 2023
https:///btt_trc50k_v2airdropbot?start=682575291
Free earning on tron crypto with no stress or problem to your wallet
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by LUAN1: 11:59am On Mar 27, 2023
I had my first interview experience after 4yrs of graduating from school. I fail woefully. I didn't know what I answer, I Was ashamed of myself., I missed that job
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by studycenter: 12:00pm On Mar 27, 2023
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by Invest4growth: 12:13pm On Mar 27, 2023
Lucky you. You have not been told to come and some bank MDs that work overnight? My friend met the bank MD by 3am and MD was heading to the airport by 6am.
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by fixitbyjal(m): 12:14pm On Mar 27, 2023
You better go and be an entrepreneur

So that all this yeye companies will not use you to catch cruise

2 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by We4all: 12:29pm On Mar 27, 2023
Yuck! My first interview was with UBA. It was scheduled for 1:PM and they kept us waiting until 2:AM. No refreshments. No apologies. No courtesy. My fellow interviewees kept consoling themselves that it was a test of endurance. As in, endurance kill them there.

Working for a Nigerian employer should be classified as modern day slavery. This is why employees compensate themselves for the mistreatment by embezzling office funds. I hope not to ever work for any stupid Nigerian employer again. They just love to exploit and treat their employees anyhow.

And if you think this happens only in private organizations, then you are wrong. In fact, working in top Government agencies is like signing your death warrant. They will use al kinds of voodoo on you until they kill you. Yuck! Africans are just too backward.

3 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by skillip(m): 12:31pm On Mar 27, 2023
dfrost:
Hmm...

I know, it's not easy to handle, I'm not in your shoes either. But always hear the other person's perspective (in this instance, the interviewer).
. There is nothing to hear, if an interviewer is running late or there is a delay somewhere, you are suppose to communicate that and the front desk will inform the people starting with an apology " I am sorry we are running late..." Such organisations DO NOT value time, forget about any BS they want to come up with.

3 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 12:33pm On Mar 27, 2023
Why?
Clean2016:
I won't wait
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 12:34pm On Mar 27, 2023
True, I learnt that any organisation that does ot value your time or communicate timely please run,it a huge red flag
skillip:
. There is nothing to hear, if an interviewer is running late or there is a delay somewhere, you are suppose to communicate that and the front desk will inform the people starting with an apology " I am sorry we are running late..." Such organisations DO NOT value time, forget about any BS they want to come up with.

3 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 12:34pm On Mar 27, 2023
wink
fixitbyjal:
You better go and be an entrepreneur

So that all this yeye companies will not use you to catch cruise
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 12:36pm On Mar 27, 2023
Angelfrost:
That's what you get in a nation where there are no stringent labor laws!

A nation where the courts are not available for the cause of the average citizen.

If laws existed and the Judiciary were up to her duties, such nonsense wouldn't be this common... In fact, a lot of nonsense would have stopped, especially abuse of power and office.

Most of these job recruiters clearly have no regard have applicants.... They see y'all as miserable and lowly beggars!
True that
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 12:36pm On Mar 27, 2023
grin
Snowx:
This IT-2023 ata the end though

Are you a student of Digital witch organize by Ekwy??
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by IyaTola: 12:37pm On Mar 27, 2023
grin dem don show you shege
raphretle:
You should be happy cus at the end of the day it didn't turn out to be those GNLD and NEOLIFE people...
Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by skillip(m): 12:37pm On Mar 27, 2023
IyaTola:
True, I learnt that any organisation that does ot value your time or communicate timely please run,it a huge red flag
. Thank you. I remember back then we were recruiting for a C-suite level and it was delaying, intermittently I will go back and calm these people. After the interview one of them told my boss that she appreciated what I did because my boss gave me the feed back. These are just some basic interview tips.

3 Likes

Re: My Lackluster Interview Story by PixelPlexus: 12:40pm On Mar 27, 2023
Sad, I remember my first ICT job interview, it was done online, I was to arrived there by 10 am but was shocked that my session is on fall back that is if I would be.considered for the interview, why because I was expected to have log in at least 15mins to the time so that I would be online and by 10 the interview starts proper, omo na beg abeg I take beg make the cordinator intercede after all and all i put an outstanding performance , I got the job but was placed on time management diet after my research I found out that the boss is based in France. Since then I learn lesson o.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Modelling And Ushering Jobs / Details Of First Bank Test Format / WORKFORCE Ibadan!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.